last minute complications, please make wishes for us - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 04-20-2006, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey there,
wasn't gonna post about this just yet, but I think maybe I should. Perhaps all your wishes/prayers can help.

I've been planning a homebirth with a wonderful MW and my whole pregnancy has gone completely well. No morning sickness, not excessively uncomfortable etc. the only thing that happened (and is not shocking) is that my ankles swell sometimes (but that happened to me on a flight to amsterdam even before I was pregnant....just a tendency in my family I think). a few varicosities, but can really complain about anything.

My due date is today (4/20). My appt. last week showed trace amounts of protein in my urine. The appt. 2 days ago (4/18), my protein was HIGH. like 300+. I freaked out, and immediately almost started crying. Ankles looked like crap, with the protein, I figured I was screwed. I cried through my BP readings (so you know those were lovely). 140/99 or something insane.

My MW is wonderful. She kept telling me to quit making a decision about this. That it could have been inaccurate BP readings because I was upset about the urine etc. etc. The urine problem could be dehydration, etc. She said she was not giving up on the idea of our homebirth. Etc etc.

I drank 3 liters of water that night, and 3 in the morning. I laid on my left side, and the MW came to my house (came in the door so I could stay laying down and completely relaxed). BP was 130/80. Not too shabby. Protein had dropped to +30. Also a great sign. Ankle swelling had decreased dramatically.

Later that afternoon, I got a requisition form to take to the lab for blood work (my veins SUCK) so we tested my pee again then. It had gone up a bit (+100) but still wasnt as bad as on 4/18. I drank 12 liters of water yesterday. Crazy. My mouth is constantly dry. I cannot explain why I am so damn thirsty, but I really do think I could be dehydrated. Esp. cuz our house is like the Sahara desert (my DH has a dehumidifier keeping the house at 50% humidity for his allergies). Ever since I've been home, my drinking of water unconsciously decreased and I've been in the desert house Thats when the protein started.

The lab stuck me 3 times (everyone pity the poor 40 week pregnant pin cushion!! hehe) before getting what they needed. They are doing tests to check my liver function and blood profiles.

So its touch and go for now. MW is coming again today to do the blood pressure and check my urine.

Please make wishes that this is not pre-E and I can continue with the homebirth.

We are so close!!
XOXO
Beth

P.S. The GBS test also came back positive. When it rains it pours right? I'm READY for this baby to come for crying out loud.

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#2 of 28 Old 04-20-2006, 01:48 PM

s Beth I'm sorry you are having to deal with all this stress and worry. I will be praying that the blood tests all come back ok and you can continue your homebirth plans s
#3 of 28 Old 04-20-2006, 02:00 PM

awww, I will be thinking of you, dearie. Hope baby comes soon and you keep those BP's and Protein levels down! Drink water X 1,000,000 LOL Be encouraged! You're almost there!
#4 of 28 Old 04-20-2006, 03:16 PM

I'll be thinking about you. You might also try adding protein shakes to your diet, I've heard it helps some people, and if definitely drink as much as you are thirsty and then some. It sounds like you are doing everything right, best wishes to you.
#5 of 28 Old 04-20-2006, 05:01 PM

We are dealing with the same thing. I pray that we bot hget the birth we want. Don't discard the power of positive thinking and visualization. When I'm laying on my side I try to envision cool waters and breezes making my BP lower. The last reading I had was 130/85, which was down from 140/100. Also, I'm drinking cornsilk tea 3x a day and taking 400mg of magnesium chelate each day. And seeing an acupuncturist and eating TONS of protein. The thing my acup figured out was that I wasn't digesting the protein, so it wasn't helping. So today I added dietary enzymes (1/snack, 2/meal) to help that issue.

I'm assuming that they were taking blood for the lver panel... did you get the results yet? You might consider drinking 3 cups of Red Raspberry Leaf tea and taking high doses of EPO to help prepare your body in case you do need an induction.
Hang in there!!!!

#6 of 28 Old 04-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Good luck!.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#7 of 28 Old 04-20-2006, 06:12 PM

You are in my thoughts - good luck!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#8 of 28 Old 04-20-2006, 06:30 PM

Beth
I am so sorry that you and Michael are having to deal with all this now. But I also know that you have an excellent midwife who will take wonderful care of you and the baby. I will be thinking of you and sending lots of labor dust so that this baby comes out soon.
#9 of 28 Old 04-20-2006, 10:13 PM

thinking of you!

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.
#10 of 28 Old 04-20-2006, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

So far we're hanging in there. Today protein was +30 (not terrible but not great) and BP was 138/74. According to the MW, the bottom number is more important, so that 74 looks pretty good.

Blood work came back normal except I was "borderline" in the areas of albumen, protein, and alkaline phosposomething (I didnt understand her when she told me).

Again the message was "eat protein for every meal and every snack." AHHHH. I am have at LEAST 20 grams of protein at every meal and every snack. Its frustrating because I am at a loss of how to improve that. I am eating protein shakes, protein bars, tofu sausage, tofu hot dogs, beans, etc.

One of the posters mentioned dietary enzymes. Maybe I should look into that??

Hangin in there. Of course, now that we are at the due date the phone calls are rolling in about "has the baby come yet?" which is annoying but its nice people are thinking of me.

I really appreciate all your thoughts and wishes!!
XOXO
Beth

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#11 of 28 Old 04-21-2006, 12:41 AM

Thinking of you.

#12 of 28 Old 04-21-2006, 11:08 AM

#13 of 28 Old 04-23-2006, 12:39 AM

(((((Beth)))))
#14 of 28 Old 04-23-2006, 12:39 AM

(((((Beth)))))
#15 of 28 Old 04-23-2006, 10:34 AM

#16 of 28 Old 04-23-2006, 01:11 PM
Administrator

How's it going?

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#17 of 28 Old 04-23-2006, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Hanging in there

My B/P is still normal so they don't think its Pre-E. I get freaked out with every headache, etc. though. Protein is not really decreasing, and swelling still sucks. So I go through periods of huge doubt where I feel that something may be wrong.

My best friend told me that near the end of her pregnancy, she got paranoid though, so I'm trying to remember that as well.

Having never been pregnant before, I don't know how mentally wacked out is normal.....

All that "trust your intuition" stuff is not working for me at all right now I feel normal sometimes, and like a basketcase other times.

I've done some more reading about being overdue thats made me feel less anxiety about that. In my mind, I was convinced I would go early like my mom did, so this is not something I prepared for initially. I used to think I would only go to 41 weeks. After doing research, it looks like 42 weeks is perfectly safe as well. If anyone has any other thoughts on this, please share!

Baby is low in the pelvis, but no other signs that labor is imminent. Heart tones sounded great yesterday, and the MW said the "accels" were a great sign of oxygenation. Put me at ease a little. My mom said she had NO warning, except out of the blue water breaking and labor starting soon afterwards....so perhaps the mucus plug and all that will come all at once??

Hoping to have a birth story to post soon enough!
XOXO
Beth

#18 of 28 Old 04-23-2006, 02:20 PM

Glad to hear you're hanging in there!

Just a couple things--first, yes, going to 42 weeks is perfectly normal! Some babies just need a few extra days to cook and that's as normal as babies who decide to come at 38 weeks. So if possible try not to stress about that.

As for when labor might start--for both my labors they really just came right out of nowhere. One day I was my normal self, and the next I was having contractions and losing my plug. And my babies never dropped into the pelvis before labor either (first never did, and second didn't until I was well into labor).

In fact, with Quinn, I had an appt on Thursday 4/13 at which I was only a fingertip dilated. Sunday I started having contractions. So you really just never know.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that contractions are just about to start for you!

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.
#19 of 28 Old 04-23-2006, 03:17 PM

Beth I am feeling like you too , today I have been an emotional basketcase! I'm 41weeks (and expected babe to be here by now!) and have also been reading up on 42+week pregnancies. All the info I am finding is that even though we are post EDD a baby is not considered post mature or really 'overdue' until past 42weeks. Our bean is also low and engaged but no other signs of imminent labour other than loose bowles but that has been about 4 or 5 days now

Lets hope we both have out of the blue births tonight
#20 of 28 Old 04-23-2006, 05:20 PM

(((((HUGS))))) to all in waiting! ~sandi
#21 of 28 Old 04-23-2006, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpiritMama
Beth I am feeling like you too , today I have been an emotional basketcase! I'm 41weeks (and expected babe to be here by now!) and have also been reading up on 42+week pregnancies. All the info I am finding is that even though we are post EDD a baby is not considered post mature or really 'overdue' until past 42weeks. Our bean is also low and engaged but no other signs of imminent labour other than loose bowles but that has been about 4 or 5 days now

Lets hope we both have out of the blue births tonight
Girl, I swear we are TWINS. everything you write is just like me!! HAHAHA.
Thinking of you!
Beth

#22 of 28 Old 04-24-2006, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethSLP
Girl, I swear we are TWINS. everything you write is just like me!! HAHAHA.
Thinking of you!
Beth
Thinking of you too Mama, maybe our babies will arrive on the same day How are you doing today? I'm having a good day today emotionally, a little crampy but nothing labourish!
#23 of 28 Old 04-24-2006, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpiritMama
Thinking of you too Mama, maybe our babies will arrive on the same day How are you doing today? I'm having a good day today emotionally, a little crampy but nothing labourish!
SAME! (of course).

I read online at that one study showed first time mamas have their babes 5 days past their due date on average. Thats the average! 2nd time mamas have theirs 2 days past. Why don't they tell you this early on?! I would have told everyone my due date was 4/25 and cut down on all the obnoxious phone calls

I also did some reading that made me feel quite comfortable with going until 42 weeks. So I feel more relaxed now. MW goes out of town on the 27th, but as long as there's a backup CNM to attend, I think I'm not so paranoid about that either. Of course, I'd prefer to have who I know, but the assistant MW is awesome and she'll be there regardless.

Thinking of you!
XOXO
Beth

#24 of 28 Old 04-24-2006, 01:00 PM
Administrator

average of 5 days late huh? That would be tomorrow for me. I like that idea a lot.

#25 of 28 Old 04-24-2006, 02:45 PM

This is my 2nd and I'm 8days 'late'! guess I'm not average
#26 of 28 Old 04-24-2006, 03:48 PM

Actually, average for a first time mom (Caucasian anyway) is 8 days past her EDD (according to a Harvard study). They phrase it as 41 weeks & 1 day but that's still 8 days. Hang in there - you'll be holding your little one in no time! And fwiw, I didn't have any warning signs with my first birth. Just woke up with an achey back and loose bowels and was like, huh, this must be labor. 10 hours later I was holding my little girl. GL!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#27 of 28 Old 04-24-2006, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Oh see...hush now. Tomorrow is much more appealing than Friday.

I am kidding. I am doing fine - currently pausing from vacuuming my stairs.

#28 of 28 Old 04-24-2006, 04:03 PM

If you eat eggs....then eat lots of them. I would tend to spill protein during pg and it would always improve with more water and protein intake. It's so hard to do. I drank protein shakes and I would add extra protein like almond butter or peanut butter, wheat germ, nutritional yeast. I ate boiled eggs as snacks like every couple hours!

Here's to you (and all those waiting) going into labor soon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page