lochia length?TMI! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-09-2006, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so this is starting to annoy me, I'm still "bleeding" - while that might not be a totally accurate term, "dribbling periodically" would be a better description, but I am sooo tired of it. The color is brownish, finally, seemed pretty red until just recently. Not that there ever was much after the first few days, but it just sticks around. (Ds#1 is 5 weeks today). Of those of you who had their babies early in April, who is still dealing with this? My 6 week check up is next Monday and I fear I'll be in the same shape then, should I still go to the appt, or postpone?

With Ds#1, it seemed to go on forever as well, it stopped somewhere right before the 6 weeks were up, so I keep waiting for that to repeat itself now.

On the TMI end of things, the panty liners are giving me a rash, help? I had the brilliant idea to put diaper rash creme on it today, wonder if it will help.

:
#2 of 13 Old 05-09-2006, 10:19 AM

Mine stopped after about 10 days, but then I'd have periodic GUSHES (so annoying) for another week after that.
I'd keep the appt, if nothing else to let them know what's going on with you.

Liners give me a rash, too. Do any health food stores near you stock cloth pads? Or just an organic cotton liner would probably help.
And, yes, I've used diaper creme on myself. It works!
#3 of 13 Old 05-09-2006, 10:32 AM

Not in your DDC, but ALMOST!
My dd will be 6 weeks Thursday and I JUST STOPPED this weekend. (TMI) Its still there, just not pink or red or anything, more pale yellow and has the same... ahem.. scent.:

Kelly, mama to DD energy.gif : (3-30-06) and DS bouncy.gif 7/28/09) ....and gummi, due 3-30-13! (large sch....praying.gif)

#4 of 13 Old 05-09-2006, 11:59 AM

I am 4 weeks pp now and having the same thing as you, somedays nothing. I expect it will go on for a while. With my ds it went on like this for 9 weeks, I would go for 4-5 days with nothinhg and then it would start up again. The OB said sometimes when you are nursing the hormones can cause you to spot on and off for a while.
#5 of 13 Old 05-09-2006, 01:36 PM

It's within the range of normal to spot/flow for up to 8 weeks. You should still keep your 6 week PP appt though.

Definitely get some cloth pads or organic disposable pads at least. I wore a disposable pad over the weekend and started getting itchy the next day. I went right back to my cloth ones (I made them myself out of DH's worn out flannel work shirts!)

Kathryn
#6 of 13 Old 05-09-2006, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, it's good to know I'm not the only one that "works" like this. I'll have to go looking for some organic liners, and the rash creme seems to be helping, phew. And if nothing else, I think some of my dh's under-ts are way past their expected life and I could pilfer some of them...
#7 of 13 Old 05-09-2006, 02:50 PM

my daughter will be 4 weeks tomorrow...and I started about day 2 post partum having a more clear-ish bleeding if you get my thought. Then one day it would be brown like old blood from a period and then the next day I would have nothing. UNTIL like right before bed or something. Then it would be bright red again! And I would have a little cramping too. In fact, yesterday I didn't wear a pad all day long...but then I felt the cramping starting up and I went to the bathroom and there it was AGAIN! ARGH! This has not happened to me before as far as I can remember. But like someone else said... it's not really abnormal or anything. My midwife told me that it's probably my bodies way of telling me I am doing a little too much during the day.

Hope it goes away soon. And mine with it! LOL
#8 of 13 Old 05-09-2006, 11:33 PM

The OB who saw me when I was discharged from the hospital said that the bleeding might pick up abou 10=14 days postpartum--I gave birth on April 20th and the bleeding had mostly stopped by the end of last week, but did pick up this weekend. It doesn't bother, me, though. I have a couple of second degree tears that are still healing so it's not like I am expecting to get any action soon.
#9 of 13 Old 05-10-2006, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefsJen
then the next day I would have nothing. UNTIL like right before bed or something. Then it would be bright red again! And I would have a little cramping too. In fact, yesterday I didn't wear a pad all day long...but then I felt the cramping starting up and I went to the bathroom and there it was AGAIN! ARGH! ...... My midwife told me that it's probably my bodies way of telling me I am doing a little too much during the day.
11 days post partum here. I definitely notice a decrease in bleeding on the days when I rest and an increase when I do something dumb like take laundry over to the laundromat and ignore the fact that I'm tired and my body is saying "go lie down!!"

I'd never heard about the increase around day 10-14...I wonder if that's because women are starting to feel better and start doing too much around that time, or if it's something physiologic...? Interesting.

I don't really mind, but I wouldn't mind if it quit either. I *liked* not having a period for 10+ months

Jessica, CNM placenta.gif+ DH geek.gif + sweet boy (4/06) jog.gif
#10 of 13 Old 05-10-2006, 11:57 AM

I have read that your body takes longer to recover after having a girl than a boy for some reason, something about the different hormones in your system? Anyways, I've found it to be true for me, faster recovery and earlier end of lochia after my boys than with the girls.

Kathryn
#11 of 13 Old 05-10-2006, 09:32 PM

I'm still bleeding at 5 weeks too. Some days its just spotting, others its a lot more. Id keep you appointment. Hopefully the end will be in sight for us all. Cloth pads are definately the way to go.
#12 of 13 Old 05-10-2006, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had one that lasted 2 days (that was number three, I was pretty much done by the time I left the hospital) and one that lasted 10-11 weeks. are you resting enough? does your house have stairs? stairs were an issue for me.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#13 of 13 Old 05-11-2006, 01:11 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Ahhh...good to know. I am still healing, and only 2 weeks post partum...but now I know to expect anything.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page