Lily Padz anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 05-10-2006, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know I"ve seen discussions about these over in the BF forums, but just wondering if anyone here is using/has tried them? They are silicone nursing "pads" that compress the nipple to prevent leaking rather than just absorbing it. They are $20 for a pair, supposed to last for months, and supposed to keep you *dry* This last thing would be so huge for me b/c I leak all the time, everywhere. I have so.much.milk. it is ridiculous, and I'm *always* soaked. I am so thankful for a plentiful supply but so tired of drenching nursing pads, bras, shirts, pants, the baby, burp cloths, towels, the bed, etc, etc. And I thought leaking colostrum was a pain! My breasts simply have no manners and I'm getting a little desperate. So, anyone have any experience with the Lily Padz? Link here if you want more info http://www.lilypadz.com/

Jessica, CNM placenta.gif+ DH geek.gif + sweet boy (4/06) jog.gif
#2 of 32 Old 05-10-2006, 01:27 AM

I have the same problem. But I'm hesitant to use lilypadz because I've had mastitis and don't want to go down the plugged duct route again. I'm considering biting the big one and just buying some Lana pads (http://www.mynurturedbaby.com/shop/c...at=249&page=1). They are pricey ($50 for two pair of the larges) but they say you only need two pair. I have Bravado and Medela cloth pads and have to double up because the boob I'm not nursing on soaks through. :

Anybody tried these? Not to hijack your thread

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#3 of 32 Old 05-10-2006, 01:38 AM

Oh, and I am lazy at night. I roll up a receiving blanket and place it horizontally across my boobs in my bra at night instead of wearing pads. 'Cause at night your boob falls out away from the pad anyway.

And when I nurse at home I shove a preemie prefold in my bra while I nurse on the other side.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#4 of 32 Old 05-10-2006, 11:12 AM

I'm a May mama crashing your DDC but I loved my LilyPadz last time. I have them all ready to go just as soon as this babe decides to c'mon out.

I have oversupply and OAL in the early days and didn't have any issues with plugged ducts or anything like that while using LP. The only "problem" was not putting it back on after nighttime feedings because baby and I both fell back asleep- but I have that problem with any kind of nursing pad. I just sleep on a towel and have to wash the sheets really frequently.
#5 of 32 Old 05-10-2006, 01:21 PM

I also get mastitis VERY easily, and I LOVE the look of the LANA wool breast pads: http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_...roducts_id=124 I like that you only need two sets, I just can't afford them right now. PLUS they will not take MO's~MAJOR BUMMER for me! (((((HUGS))))) sandi
#6 of 32 Old 05-10-2006, 02:17 PM

I also use the Lana wool BP's. I'm afraid of using the Lilypadz especially since I had mastitis 2 weeks ago, at 2 weeks PP!! I was soooo sick, and that was only because my bra was tight!
I'm actually not using anything since my bout with mastitis, I just leak

For those wanting to buy the LANA pads, keep in mind they fit BIG so don't upsize if you aren't sure which size to get. They are very soft and dry quickly enough (I have the regular ones not the Ekstra) and yes very absorbant. I bought mine at www.mamadearest.ca
They might be less expensive there especially since the USD is higher than the cnd. They are $19.99 cdn.
#7 of 32 Old 05-10-2006, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus2fam
I also get mastitis VERY easily, and I LOVE the look of the LANA wool breast pads: http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_...roducts_id=124 I like that you only need two sets, I just can't afford them right now. PLUS they will not take MO's~MAJOR BUMMER for me! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

have you tried here? http://www.birthandbabyorders.com/in...ee4ef549b320b5

one of my favorite places to get bras!! they are absolutly the best people to work with!!

s
#8 of 32 Old 05-10-2006, 07:25 PM

s~I have ordered bras there, too! Maybe I should do that... I don't understand their sizing though? They have many more sizes to choose from than I've seen!

PinkPixie~if you were above a G in breast size, what size pad would you get? Would you still just get the regular size? THANKS! (((((HUGS))))) sandi
#9 of 32 Old 05-11-2006, 05:06 PM

Quote:

PinkPixie~if you were above a G in breast size, what size pad would you get? Would you still just get the regular size? THANKS! (((((HUGS))))) sandi
I would get the Large ones for sure, since they cover most of the breast area. The almond shaped ones would work too.
#10 of 32 Old 05-12-2006, 11:30 AM

Okay, I know I keep buggin' ya about this~sorry! If I go through pads SUPER quickly, I mean, I soak EVERYTHING sooo fast, will two REALLY be enough? (((((HUGS))))) sandi
#11 of 32 Old 05-12-2006, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Okay, I know I keep buggin' ya about this~sorry! If I go through pads SUPER quickly, I mean, I soak EVERYTHING sooo fast, will two REALLY be enough? (((((HUGS))))) sandi
Get the Ekstra Lana breast pads if you leak alot. They have three layers of felted merino wool so nothing gets through that . Althought I do find the regular 2 layer bp's to be very absorbent. After all, I have their diaper covers that are made of 2 layers and my baby's pyjama are dry even if the diaper underneath is saturated.
I do hope 2 pairs will be enough for you since they are pricey (but oh so worth it), I only bought two and have been using them for over two years (they are still soft and work great so I can defenitely say I got my $ worth). Let one air dry while the other is being worn.
#12 of 32 Old 05-12-2006, 04:33 PM

*THANK YOU!* sooo very much for spending sooo much time on this with me!!!!! You've more than helpful! I think around $36 for two isn't bad considering how fast I would go through disposables~YIKES! LOL! (((((HUGS))))) sandi
#13 of 32 Old 05-12-2006, 04:39 PM

You're welcome
#14 of 32 Old 05-14-2006, 12:11 PM

hmmm. dh got me the lp cause i've been soaking myself.... maybe i'll just use them for going out...

i too use pre folds at night... the lp was delightful though... cause it stays on!
#15 of 32 Old 05-15-2006, 12:14 AM

I just bit the bullet and bought the Ekstra pear shaped pads (they were recommended to mommies prone to mastitis). They should come on Tuesday or Wednesday.

#16 of 32 Old 05-15-2006, 01:24 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I have the Lana pads too - and I like them a lot. Two pair and I rotate them to let them dry - Have only leaked through them once.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#17 of 32 Old 05-15-2006, 11:53 AM

well, I didn't read any of the posts that replied to your question, but I thought I would put my 2 cents in anyway...

I bought a set of LP. And used them instead of any other pads. Well, now there is like almost NO stickiness left on them. I have a hard time telling which side is which. I used a very gentle soap when I washed them, and I did wash them when they needed it. They did NOT control my leaking. It just pooled up around my nipple underneath the LP and then dribbled down when it was taken off to nurse her. So I went back to the regular disposies. I am going to make me some though so I don't have to buy anymore.

OH, and she's only 1 month old.:
#18 of 32 Old 05-15-2006, 04:38 PM

I have a friend whose going to give me a set of LilyPadz she never used, so I'm excited to try them. With my last baby I used washable ones from Motherhood, but I've been soaking through them at each nursing session now! I like the idea of the Lana pads, but they are so huge. My breasts aren't that big..I'm a C cup now. Do the Lana pads look ridiculous under your clothes? I imagine you must be able to see them unless you're wearing a sweater or something super loose, and summer is coming.
#19 of 32 Old 05-15-2006, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyRev
I like the idea of the Lana pads, but they are so huge. My breasts aren't that big..I'm a C cup now. Do the Lana pads look ridiculous under your clothes? I imagine you must be able to see them unless you're wearing a sweater or something super loose, and summer is coming.
Because they are big the don't show through clothes,... they cover the whole boob not just the nipple, that's why they are bigger than regular pads. The pads that do show through are the ones that only cover the nipple (you can see a big circle through clothes).
#20 of 32 Old 05-15-2006, 06:17 PM

Are the LANA's thick? I'm worried that if I'm already struggling with mastitis I may need a bigger bra if they are. I still have NO IDEA whether to get the regular almond shaped or large ekstra. I've read they are both great for mastitis.... (((((HUGS))))) sandi
#21 of 32 Old 05-15-2006, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfamilygal
I have the same problem. But I'm hesitant to use lilypadz because I've had mastitis and don't want to go down the plugged duct route again.
This is one reason I haven't tried them. Also, I use my nursing pad to cover up the spray and dribble when ds pops off..especially in public.

Mandy

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#22 of 32 Old 05-15-2006, 08:46 PM

I've got a set...not really liking them, but i do wear them with tight fitted shirts...smoother look..but a pain to nurse with..,..
one trick i did learn... i have dry skin so i smathered with laniolin before i put them on..helped!
#23 of 32 Old 05-16-2006, 04:59 PM

Just wondering why you consider them a pain to nurse with? I'm not too bright on how they actually work and probably wouldn't be able to use them for a while anyways as I'm using breast shells.

I am frustrated to hell though with all the leaking. I have no clue how I'm going to work and pump. I think I'll have to change my wardrobe to loose fitting, front opening, patterned shirts and cardigans for forever.
#24 of 32 Old 05-17-2006, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpin
Just wondering why you consider them a pain to nurse with? I'm not too bright on how they actually work and probably wouldn't be able to use them for a while anyways as I'm using breast shells.

I am frustrated to hell though with all the leaking. I have no clue how I'm going to work and pump. I think I'll have to change my wardrobe to loose fitting, front opening, patterned shirts and cardigans for forever.
Just wanted to say that with dd I went back to work full time until she was 1...then I became a SAHM. But, I utilized nursing shirts for pumping as well. I love Motherhood.com and bought a bunch of cute nursing shirts from the sale section and they worked well with my office attire and noone even knew they were nursing clothes unless I told them.

I nursed dd right before I walked out the door to go to work, pumped when I first arrived at work, then pumped on both of my breaks and at lunch. Then nursed dd as soon as I got home (we didn't do daycare...dh watched her while I worked and then he worked opposite schedules as myself).

That worked pretty good for a couple of months. But by the time she was 6 months she refused bottled all together and then dh had to bring her up to my on my breaks and lunches for me to nurse. But I still pumped when I first got to work.

So, I would vote for some nice nursing shirts!

Also, I used the breast shells very shortly because I had flat nipples. I stopped using them because they made me leak so bad. I just worked with what I had until they came out on their own.

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#25 of 32 Old 05-17-2006, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Finally tracked down a pair...love 'em so far! Yup, I spilled milk all over the first time I took one off to nurse (hadn't read that post yet!), but they work for the most part as described. I can't tell you how awesome it was to escape my bra for the first time in two weeks!!!! I hate bras, esp wet soggy ones so I'm in heaven! We've got thrush so I'm letting my breasts air as much as possible, then put the LP back on if I start to drip. Awesome

Jessica, CNM placenta.gif+ DH geek.gif + sweet boy (4/06) jog.gif
#26 of 32 Old 05-18-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Also, I used the breast shells very shortly because I had flat nipples. I stopped using them because they made me leak so bad. I just worked with what I had until they came out on their own.
Sorry if this is a bit off topic. But yeah! Now I know why I was leaking all over the place. Those shells! I went a day without wearing them and hardly leaked at all.

When I'm more confident with nursing and not so worried about flat nipple issues, I'm going to give these lily padz a try.
#27 of 32 Old 05-18-2006, 02:45 PM

HI all~just wanted to update ya and let you know that I'm ordering the LANA Ekstras from http://www.danishwool.com/index.htm . I called to ask a few questions, and WOW! I got THE BEST customer service I've gotten in a VERY LONG TIME! I CAN'T WAIT to tell EVERYONE about this company! and I CAN'T WAIT for mastitis relief~LOL! (((((HUGS))))) sandi
#28 of 32 Old 05-20-2006, 01:13 AM

Sandi,
How do the LANA pads help with mastitis? I've been very prone to it. My babe is a month old and I've had it 3 times. :
#29 of 32 Old 05-20-2006, 09:50 AM

Nadine, this is what the site has to say: "Scandinavian midwives have, for centuries, advised mothers to protect their breasts from wind and cold to prevent plugged ducts and mastitis. Larger sizes give protective coverage over greater a portion of the breast."

I've also read this elsewhere on several sites: "The larger size of the pads stems from advice Scandinavian midwives and nurses have long given to mothers - "keep your breasts warm to prevent plugged ducts". My feeling is that the mild warmth keeps blood vessels dilated and "everything flowing". Although there is no documentation that I'm aware of, I know of cases where this seems to hold true. I knew of one woman who claimed that she couldn't go out to her mailbox without wearing her (medium sized) pads or she developed plugged ducts! As a lactation consultant, I'm aware of the many concrete causes for this problem, but I feel that if a woman is doing everything right, and still has a tendency to develop plugged ducts, that these pads may help. In either case, they feel extremely soothing and comfortable against tender breasts. In addition, the natural wool fibers pull moisture away from skin, keeping it dry and able to breathe, allowing sore nipples to heal. Many women in Denmark, where LANA products are well-known, begin wearing the pads during pregnancy, claiming that breastfeeding, as a consequence, has gone more smoothly."

(((((HUGS))))) sandi~CAN'T WAIT to get mine in!
#30 of 32 Old 05-20-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyRev
Sandi,
How do the LANA pads help with mastitis? I've been very prone to it. My babe is a month old and I've had it 3 times. :
plus the untreated wool is also naturally anti-bacterial.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page