6 week old eating this already? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-02-2006, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies, My son Morgan is eating up to 6 to 8 ounces of formula 6/7 times a day. He's driving me crazy! Is anyone having this happen or has had this happened to them? He was 8 pds 4 ounces @ birth dropped down to 7 14 and now he's up to 9 pds 2 ounces. My Mw thinks he should have gained a lot more already.

He always seems hungry- I heard that maybe introducing rice cereal in his bottle might take the edge off? ~boovert
#2 of 9 Old 06-02-2006, 04:48 PM

I wouldn't give him rice cereal. Rice cereal is not good for babes. It can raise their risks for having diabetes later in life if rice cereal is started before 6m. The Academy of Pediatrics recommends that solid foods be introduced, generally no earlier than four months of age. Don't start rice cereal before 6 months of age if there is a strong history of allergies in the family.
Babies do NOT have a strongly developed swallow and gag reflex, until 4 months of age, giving them cereal to early is a choking/ aspiration risk.
#3 of 9 Old 06-02-2006, 05:08 PM

Do NOT give cereal. I don't have any clue on amounts as my dd was exclusively breastfed.

-Angela
#4 of 9 Old 06-02-2006, 07:04 PM

Don't give cereal.
6wks is prime time for a growth spurt. I don't know anything about amounts, but you might want to offer a bit more at each feeding and see how your baby does.
#5 of 9 Old 06-02-2006, 08:42 PM

I just wanted to encourage you to try to nurse again. That is what your baby really needs, and he's so young you still have a good chance of getting him back on the breast exclusively. Then you don't even have to think about how much he's eating.

-Angela
#6 of 9 Old 06-03-2006, 01:19 AM

Agreed, do not try rice cereal. Introducing solids this early can cause abrasions in the intestines because babies are just not set up to digest anything but formula or BM. And really, this is way, way WAY too early to introduce rice cereal.
#7 of 9 Old 06-03-2006, 01:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boovert
Hi ladies, My son Morgan is eating up to 6 to 8 ounces of formula 6/7 times a day. He's driving me crazy! Is anyone having this happen or has had this happened to them? He was 8 pds 4 ounces @ birth dropped down to 7 14 and now he's up to 9 pds 2 ounces. My Mw thinks he should have gained a lot more already.
Could he be slightly dehydrated? Formulas contain tons of sugars and cow's milk protein's that are difficult to digest.
If you are not going to try and breastfeed again, I would take him to the Doctors and have him assessed, maybe he needs a different formula?
#8 of 9 Old 06-03-2006, 01:49 AM

I think that's a lot of formula for such a young babe to be eating at each feed. Is there formula in his poop (white stuff)? That would be an indication that you're overfeeding him and his body isn't absorbing the nutrients well. I'd talk to your ped about how much formula you should be feeding him.
#9 of 9 Old 06-03-2006, 11:37 AM

I think your midwife's concerns are valid. It might be that he's not absorbing the nutrients of the formula very well. Perhaps going to a doctor is the best thing. They can recommend maybe a new formula or get you started on supplemental breastfeeding, if it's at all possible.

Good luck. It sounds very stressful.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page