Still Sore?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-05-2006, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi girls...

First an update on the BF... Still having issues. Calvin still won't nurse on the right side without the nipple shield. On the left side he will about 50% of the time, but it's a fight... So, we are still nursing with the shield and pumping... At least he's getting the breast milk!!!

Now onto the sore... My nipples are SOOOOO sore and red! They aren't cracked (He eats too much for that! This kid eats almost all day! LOL), but they HURT!!! I can't touch them without them hurting and it hurts for the first minute of nursing/pumping so badly that it brings tears to my eyes! Anyone else still this sore?? (I am 5 weeks PP) I recall only being sore for the first 2 weeks with my DD... But then again, she didn't eat all the time like DS does... But I would almost think that this would make them less sore seeing as they should be "conditioned" by now?

Anyone else? Anyone have any suggestions for this poor sore Momma???

Thanks!!

Kerri

Wife to Kevin (8-1-98)
: Proud Momma to Katelyn (4-02), Calvin (4-06), and Ashley (7-08) :
#2 of 7 Old 06-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
that sounds rough. I am finally getting to the point that I am not sore all the time. I stillhave some sore days. I have a super fast let down, and B tends to clamp down and fold my nipple over and such to try and control the flow. I know she is going to outgrow that, once she can handle the flow better...and I feel wrong trying to get her to fix it right now when it means she will choke and cough and splutter. I can deal with sore nipples for a while if it means she doesn't choke. She is getting better at pulling off and waiting a couple seconds, so I know it will get better. But some days are worse than others...usually when she has triggered a supply increase.

I notice on days B nurses more, that I am more sore - usually it is when she is eating/needing more and seems hungrier, and more eager. I have been calming her for a second before latching her on, pausing, making eye contact with her, slowing her down a little so she isn't so excited and therefore a little less rough with my nipple. I don't know if that would make any difference for you or not, but on some days it does for me.

I know very little about bf - other than whatis working for us - so my advice may be totally off! But since B is only a day older than Calvin...I thought I would let you know that I have sore days too.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 7 Old 06-06-2006, 02:07 AM

5 weeks here too...still pretty stinkin' sore. Thrush is the culprit in our case - it's the beast that won't go away!!

Kerri - have you ruled out thrush? It gives mama red, *very* sore nipples. Mom can be symptomatic and baby not, and vice versa, but treat both if that's the prob b/c it will go back and forth.

Adina - I kwym with the choke/cough/sputter...it's so *sad*!!! M's getting better at handling the rush, but it's also helpful to put firm pressure on the opposite nipple as the let down starts. Can take up to a minute but will slow the let down on both sides.

GL girls...it will get better, right?

Jessica, CNM placenta.gif+ DH geek.gif + sweet boy (4/06) jog.gif
#4 of 7 Old 06-06-2006, 07:32 AM

So sorry you're still having a rough time! (((((HUGS))))) sandi
#5 of 7 Old 06-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittyone
Adina - I kwym with the choke/cough/sputter...it's so *sad*!!! M's getting better at handling the rush, but it's also helpful to put firm pressure on the opposite nipple as the let down starts. Can take up to a minute but will slow the let down on both sides.
Yep I do that! It does help. It is funny, I can feel the letdown on the breast she ISN'T on...never on the one she is on. So thatis my only clue that she is going to have trouble.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#6 of 7 Old 06-07-2006, 12:59 AM

That technique works so much better when you can catch the very beginning of a letdown...but I never feel mine on either side! So, I just have to watch him and when he starts to swallow faster I know we're starting to flow I can't wait until this requires no thought whatsoever

Jessica, CNM placenta.gif+ DH geek.gif + sweet boy (4/06) jog.gif
#7 of 7 Old 06-07-2006, 03:24 AM

Could you have the suction up too high on your pump? I only say this because I used my new pump tonight for the first time and jacked up the suction, thinking it was a good pressure, since it felt okay. Then. Now I'm HURTING! And I wasn't sore before this.

Just a thought. I hope you find something to help.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page