Adjusting to parenthood - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-07-2006, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all! I'm just wondering what changes other first time moms out there are making. It's one thing to be pregnant and have a baby. But now that my babe's almost 2 months old I'm starting to see the long road ahead, and see the changes that need to be made. Lots!!!!

-We're really going to have to prune our DVD collection as my husband and I are avid horror fans. I'm even asking my partner to turn down the TV when he is watching as he has bad hearing and the TV always turned up about 5 notches above what I can stand. And yeah, I'm going to be keeping the baby out of the room when he has friends over to watch movies. It will be hard.

-I'm going to have to start cooking real meals now, instead of just perpetually snacking. Yep...

-The language needs to get cleaned up (somewhat).

I hope this isn't offensive to anyone. I'm just being honest. There's a lot of change that has to happen when you go from being a freewheeling couple to parents.
#2 of 6 Old 06-08-2006, 12:01 PM

I just want to tell you how much I respect you for your post - I think the changes you are making are awesome. I know that people may disagree with me but I think that it is seriously underestimated how much those things effect children - I have friends that still struggle with nightmares from things that they saw in horror films as a child. I am so impressed that you have decided to 'clean house' for the benefit of your new baby. What could be more worth it?
#3 of 6 Old 06-08-2006, 06:49 PM

We keep the swing facing away from the TV now (I love M*A*S*H and I caught her watching it with me one night and freaked -- I really thought we'd have more time before she started paying attention to the idiotcube but I guess not), and we too turn it down. I try to keep it on the XM radio classics station with the tube turned off, most of the time now, if it's on at all while she's awake.

Closed captioning is a great thing too -- late at night when we're nursing I watch DVDs with the cc on so as to not wake DH nor disturb the wee one. ETA: I'd read but haven't figured out how to do so while nursing and it not make my hands cramp.

Ditto for us on the cooking thing -- but I'm still too tired to drive most days (I know it's bad when I see sparkly things in my periphereal vision), so DH and I are still eating not-so-healthy most nights. That will change entirely once Miss Winnie is on solid foods. (Plus by then I'll be getting more sleep, surely, and can make more frequent market runs.)

And for what it's worth, my very favorite curse word is "foot."

My grandmother used to say it and it's versatile and safe for anyone in earshot. I've used it for years. *laughs* But I'm Southern and it's not terribily uncommon to hear people around here using non-curse words as obscenity replacements. My mother says "flitter."

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#4 of 6 Old 06-09-2006, 08:20 AM

I like "flitter"! LOL! For what it's worth, this is #4 and I still have found things I need to change! For one thing, this is our first girl, and I didn't know I would feel this way. I mean, I always knew I needed to be a good example, but that need feels like it's intensified! I also wanna protect her from mean girls (y'all know how we are!) and keep thinking that the girl at the brunt of the others has a Mom that loves her and thinks she's wonderful! and I pray she'll find a husband to respect and love her for the gem she is.

So sorry to ramble~it's been quite an amotional experience! (((((HUGS))))) sandi
#5 of 6 Old 06-16-2006, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nighten -- I can read by putting my book on a folding-type music stand -- it has little side bars that can go over the pages to keep them open, and it holds the book for you. I just keep the music stand in front of the couch with the book on it, and whenever I sit down to nurse, there's my book! As a musician, I already had a music stand lying around, though...

We haven't changed a lot, but we had already changed it before I got pregnant, I guess, in preparation for babe. We switched to organic foods and stopped watching TV altogether (except for DVDs). I guess what we have done was move to a new city where we could afford to live on one salary! Pretty big adjustment. We should work on the language as well,though...lol.

Mary
#6 of 6 Old 06-17-2006, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie_mary
Nighten -- I can read by putting my book on a folding-type music stand -- it has little side bars that can go over the pages to keep them open, and it holds the book for you. I just keep the music stand in front of the couch with the book on it, and whenever I sit down to nurse, there's my book! As a musician, I already had a music stand lying around, though...

We haven't changed a lot, but we had already changed it before I got pregnant, I guess, in preparation for babe. We switched to organic foods and stopped watching TV altogether (except for DVDs). I guess what we have done was move to a new city where we could afford to live on one salary! Pretty big adjustment. We should work on the language as well,though...lol.

Mary
Mary -- do you not use a Boppy? I can sort of prop a book on the Boppy behind Winnie while she nurses, but it's holding it open that makes my hands cramp. If I had a stand I'd try it but I don't....

We watch very little mainstream TV -- I had stopped watching the crime shows (CSI, L&O, etc.) while pg since I couldn't handle the violence -- we mainly TiVo a handful of shows (Daily Show, Sci-Fi Friday night shows which are on a break atm, some shows off Food network, and maybe a movie now and again), though we've been watching the World Cup recently.

We tried watching some Angel episodes but the sound effects are disturbing, IMO, so we switched back to MASH on mute.

Since we don't want Winnie watching TV until at least age two, we're paring down even more so as to ween ourselves off the habit of turning it on. Thing is that we rarely ever turned it on before I got pg (again, maybe one night a week we'd watch several TiVo'd shows and that was it) but by third trimester I was so uncomfortable I started watching it again. Ugh.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page