Is anyone else here on meds/supplements that they are going to be weaning off of? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 08-30-2005, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need to discontinue some things that I have been taking and I will need to taper.

I took/am taking Vitex to support the luteal phase. I think I will keep taking the normal dose this week and next week taper down. That shouldn't be too bad. It is still so early for me and this herb supports progesterone synthesis in my body so I think I would like to take the full dose for one more week.

I take an antidepressant which I need to discontinue. I take a very minimal dose right now and should have stopped taking it before but didn't. I think it will go fine, but I am still a bit nervous. I think I will go for a week on a half dose, and then next week alternate that dose to every other day, then nothing the next week.

I don't want to shock my system by rapidly discontinuing chemicals my body is used to, but on the other hand, don't necessarly want the baby to be exposed to some of this stuff.

Anyone else going to be "Detoxing" themselves? How are you going about it?

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#2 of 22 Old 08-30-2005, 05:52 PM

Naughty Dingo, have you talked to your doc about the antidepressents? Definitely talk to him/her, they should be able to recommend the best way to wean yourself off of them.

The only thing I'm having trouble with is sleep aids. I have had trouble getting to sleep for years, and have been taking Benadryl to help with that. But I'm worried about taking it during the first trimester. I have taken it a couple of times though because I just could not go to sleep at all and was feeling so tired and bad that I figured that had to be worse for the baby than the Benadryl. I only took a half dose though. I'm going to talk to my doc about what to do about it when I go next week.

It is just so hard to not be able to sleep, especially at a time when you need the rest the most.
#3 of 22 Old 08-30-2005, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Candace, the woman I talked to at the Dr's office was not entirely helpful :LOL Told me it is best to be off of all meds which I agree with. Said if the meds controlled the depression well, they keep the mother on them. Oy! Told me that since the med has a long half life in the body I would have to taper down over 2-3 weeks. So not really any new info there. Anyway, I have to admit I have continued taking the med more because I am too chicken to stop, I feel so good on them, not because I still feel depressed. Now is the time and reason to stop and I am actually glad for it.

But don't you love the convoluted answers you get sometimes?

#4 of 22 Old 08-30-2005, 06:36 PM

Ugh that sucks. Sounds like she gave you a generic one size fits all answer. Can you get an appt. and discuss it with your actual doc? Have you researched it and found all of the risks? You may find that the risk is relatively minor especially when compared to the risks of depression. If they keep some women on them while pregnant, the risk can't be that bad, can they? I would hope not.

Hope you get some more helpful answers. Are you seeing and ob or midwife? Maybe they can help.
#5 of 22 Old 08-30-2005, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

I know in my heart and head that I don't need them any more. So I am gonna discontinue them. But it is true, generic answer.

I am seeing an OB with a good staff of nurses. I haven't been through a pregnancy at this practice though. I would love to see the homebirth midwife in town but DP is uncomfortable with it and I respect his feelings on this since I get my way with just about everything that goes on. But, I am gonna bring it up again.

I have a close friend who is a doula and she has been a great support for me. During my last PG I realized that an OB is not going to give me anything emotionally, and most will give you a broad answer designed to be as "Safe" as possible. I quit the old OB's after they got snotty with me when I suggested they give equal play to their formula promotions and breastfeeding resources. Imagine that.....

Anyway, would love to experience the connection and support that you get from a MW. Sigh.

#6 of 22 Old 08-30-2005, 07:16 PM

Naughty Dingo,
I just got back from my Pyhsciatrist appt and was so glad to see this post as I told him I was PG and he wants me to come off my PPD meds.I take a new one called cymbalta but just so you know,i was on zoloft my whole pg with Griff,it is the safest one so ask your doc about that one.i am going to half my dose as of tomorrow and then after 7 days i will take a b 100 complex vitamin and another called omegabrite twice a day.he said that these are fine for pg and b complex vits are water soluble so you can't overdose on them with prenats aswell.
you can get the omegabrite at omegabrite.com.check it out.he said that If i suffer badly he can always put ,e back on Zoloft,
Take care,

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#7 of 22 Old 08-30-2005, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Natasha, thanks for the info. I am currently on a minimal dose of zoloft. That is good to know it is the safest. Hopefully I won't need it this time around. I have had a lot of wonderful change in my life recently and feel really positive about it all.

I became depressed during my last pregnancy due to a bunch of krappy stuff that happened and went on the zoloft. I had also taken meds (Ondansetron) occasionally in the first trimester for severe morning sickness on days that I had to work. When I found out my daughter had a congenital medical problem, I wished I had not taken anything. Even though her problem was not a risk of either med, you still wonder and question yourself you know?

Natasha, I am glad you are here. We will support each other. And I am putting B6 on my list to get at my next discount day at the natural pharmacy. I will check out the omegabrite as well.

Thanks, ND

#8 of 22 Old 08-30-2005, 07:43 PM

Naughty Dingo,
Make sure it's the B-100 complex it has b6 in it but is all of the b vitamins together,
we will get through this with all the support,when I weaned off my zoloft I had about ten days of on off crying bout and an extremely short fuse but I just put myself in a 'time out :LOL ' and counted to ten and I got through it.also during that time to expect anything of yourself.let the laundry wait if need be and a few take out dinners nevr hurt anyone
just do what you really need to do,the less stress the better
and if you need to talk,you know where i am

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#9 of 22 Old 08-30-2005, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Natasha, would you mind me asking what dose you were weaning down from?

:LOL Just tell me to butt out if I am being too nosy

#10 of 22 Old 08-30-2005, 08:07 PM

no don't be silly,I am very open about it
I am weaning down from 60 of cymbalta to 30 as of tomorrow.when I came off the zoloft I went from 75 to 50 then to 25,it sucked but hey it got better
ask anything you want,i don't care

Natasha,Mum to many.
#11 of 22 Old 08-30-2005, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Natasha. You RAWK Mama.

Soooooo then,

What is your favorite color? (Said in my best Monty Python impression)

:LOL : Forgive me if you don't recognize my nerdy movie line : :LOL

#12 of 22 Old 08-30-2005, 08:35 PM

colour? you mean boy/girl?or generally??
BLUE is my favourite colour for everyday and I would love another boy but as long as the babe is healthy then I'll be happy

Natasha,Mum to many.
#13 of 22 Old 08-30-2005, 08:36 PM

and I love monty python being British myself but I can't remember any lines :

Natasha,Mum to many.
#14 of 22 Old 08-30-2005, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Oh natasha, I was just joking around. There was a scene from the movie "Holy Grail" where an old wizard would pitch people into an abyss if they answered his questions incorrectly. Questions like "What is your favorite color?"

:LOL

#15 of 22 Old 08-30-2005, 09:04 PM

ahh yes,I vaguely recall.....erm brat farts occuring already over here,it gets earlier with each babe

Natasha,Mum to many.
#16 of 22 Old 09-01-2005, 12:58 AM

I have a consult booked with Motherrisk at the hospital for Sick Children. This will be another medicated pregnancy with heparin, progesterone and prednisone--hopefully without the massive doses of meds to keep me from puking every 2 minutes. I have fairly severe rheumatoid arthritis so we need to discuss which ones will be stopped. I was flared through my entire pregnancy with Molly. My rheumatoligist however feels I should be able to continue taking Enbrel which is an injectable med I give myself twice a week (what the heck, just one more needle :LOL)
#17 of 22 Old 09-01-2005, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Good luck Shannon, let us know what they tell you at your consult.

I just read an article the other day on line about the use of SSRI's and effects on the fetus resulting from first trimester use. Don't remember which meds were discussed (Don't think Zoloft was oneof them) and the specifics, but it was new data reported at a meeting and they indicated it is better to not take anything. I might call the midwives today and ask about this. I bet they were discussing specific meds and not the SSRI's as a class, but still.......

#18 of 22 Old 09-01-2005, 03:35 PM

I had just started taking Celexa a week before I found out I was pregnant, so luckily I just quit right away, and didn't have any side affects from that. Good luck, I do know how you feel!

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#19 of 22 Old 09-01-2005, 11:12 PM

of taking half dose and at the moment I'm feeling good,hopefully I won't start feeling rough at the same time as the m/s hitting

Natasha,Mum to many.
#20 of 22 Old 09-01-2005, 11:17 PM

Glad you're still feeling well. I hope you stay well!
#21 of 22 Old 09-01-2005, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I discontinued my med last night. So far so good. It was such a small dose to begin with that I hopefully will feel no ill.

#22 of 22 Old 09-02-2005, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good luck with the weaning ladies.

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page