spending too much $$ on food - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-13-2005, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a tight food budget. Eating has been so difficult these past couple of weeks.

I want something this hour, but not the same thing this evening.
I MUST have the chili from the restaurant down the street. I can't make it myself because just the idea of smelling chili cooking for a couple of hours sends me running to the bathroom . . . ok I'm back. (so I don't think a slow cooker will work for me a the moment : )
I am desperate to find something to eat at the store, and tend to overbuy (several times a week).
The idea of leftovers - yuck. Can't imagine eating the same thing the next day, when you've thrown it up a few hours earlier.

I seem to remember getting a little better after m/s subsided, but I still had these intense urges and I couldn't seem to get over them.

just wanted to share

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#2 of 11 Old 09-13-2005, 10:05 PM

Isn't pregnancy amazing???!!!!! :LOL

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#3 of 11 Old 09-13-2005, 11:36 PM

Ohh I totally feel you on that one. I'm waiting for my Thai delivery as we speak. Why are they so late? Seriously, I always, always overspend on food. Food=love to me. Wish I had some advice but I'm in the same boat! Let me know if you figure out a way.
#4 of 11 Old 09-13-2005, 11:40 PM

Quote:
I'm waiting for my Thai delivery as we speak.
Oooh, I'm jealous. When we used to live in NYC we could order food from all over the globe, now it's catfish, okra and hushpuppies : Amazingly, after almost five years I've actually started to enjoy those (but still miss the other stuff)

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06) trying to figure out what to do after 5 losses
#5 of 11 Old 09-14-2005, 01:54 AM

Catfish, okra, and hushpuppies! That sounds exotic! What exactly are hushpuppies?
#6 of 11 Old 09-14-2005, 10:05 AM

Hushpuppy- deep-fried ball of cornmeal mush.
#7 of 11 Old 09-14-2005, 10:22 PM

Cornmeal MUSH? Wow....I've got to try that!
#8 of 11 Old 09-15-2005, 12:41 AM

Thanks momma2emerson, I was working on a good definition this morning and couldn't quite get it, and then ds interrupted so the message got lost :LOL

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06) trying to figure out what to do after 5 losses
#9 of 11 Old 09-15-2005, 09:29 AM

i'm right there with you mama.

my life revolves around when and what i can eat ALL DAY long. i have been having all out panic attacks when i can't figure out what i want to eat and i haven't eaten in a whole 2 hours.

last night i spent $50 at the grocery store (and i've already done our weekly shopping earlier in the week). i stood at the deli/prepared foods counter for the longest time. everyone kept offering to help me and i was freaking out because i was SOOOOOOO hungry and NOTHING appealed to me.

i ended up getting a few different veggie/pasta salads and we grilled some chicken.

two days ago i took dd and i out to breakfast. i ate $13 worth of food (now granted this place is pretty pricey so that wasn't all that much) but still....we can't afford for me to spend $15 (with the tip) for breakfast!

speaking of food.....time for second breakfast!! :LOL

~Erin
#10 of 11 Old 10-02-2005, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
: We really don't have the money for me to buy something different everday but I have to! DH says not to worry about it so I try not to think about it but this is getting ridiculous. We also never have the time or energy to go to the grocery store since we both work and I am constantly sick so there's never much of anything in the house. We don't have a car, and even though we like it this way, sometimes the convenience would be nice. The cost of the fresh fruit and veggies is outrageous. And when I can eat, I have to eat right then and there. Do not pass GO, do not collect $200. Hm, $200 sure would come in handy right about now. I was able to get WIC so that helps with the food costs a little. Some of the items I just can't use though. Their idea of healthy and my idea of healthy are two totally different animals.

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#11 of 11 Old 10-02-2005, 10:26 PM

I have been too sick to cook much at night. It makes my house smell because we don't have a kitchen fan and makes me sick all the next day. So I have been defrosting frozen meals. It has cut our grocery bills by a lot actually.

I am sure once I am in the next trimester I will make up for it.

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page