Anyone else having trouble reducing caffeine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-22-2005, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
LBW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know why I'm having such a hard time giving up my caffeinated tea. It's such a habit with me. I have a huge cup in the morning (more like 2 or three regular-sized cups) and another cup or two during the day. In my last pregnancy, I gave up caffeine completely and I don't remember it being a problem. This time, however, I just can't seem to do it. Everyday I tell myself that I won't have any tea tomorrow.

Maybe I should just toss all the caffeinated tea and replace with decaf. At this point I don't see any other way to make this work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 09-22-2005, 10:23 AM

I'm continuing to have one - one! - cup of coffee in the morning. As I said to my husband, it's either that or have no will to live or reason to get out of bed.
#3 of 16 Old 09-22-2005, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just have some, and gradually cut back and / or switch to green. Americans sweat the small stuff too much. We freak out if a mom drinks coffee (her fault) when really we should be worrying about mercury emissions nationwide (robber barons fault).
#4 of 16 Old 09-22-2005, 01:53 PM

I still need my cup of coffee in the morn, I feel kinda bad but I really need it. I hate those lackig in caffeen headaches!
#5 of 16 Old 09-22-2005, 02:14 PM

LBW,
I still have a cup or two of coffee in the A.M(lots of french vanilla creamer) I have eliminated drink two cans of Coke and replaced them with canada dry. Next time at the store I will probably get no caffeine coke and also might try the half decaf coffee.

I agree with vicky that no caffeine heachaches are too much to endure on top of all the quesiness.

Dont beat yourself up just try to cut down a little at a time.
#6 of 16 Old 09-22-2005, 04:06 PM

I"m feeling ya. Trying to mix in decaf beans with the regular in the morning.
#7 of 16 Old 09-22-2005, 07:32 PM

I have to admit, my feeling is that decaf is a sin against nature's most sublime creation.
#8 of 16 Old 09-23-2005, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkwyrm
I have to admit, my feeling is that decaf is a sin against nature's most sublime creation.
To me, decaf is a waste of time!

I too am struggling w/cutting out caffeine. I have cut way back, but still have some coffee first thing in the am & if I am getting a hedache. It is my one vice!

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#9 of 16 Old 09-23-2005, 10:41 AM

We started drinking half caff when I was pregnant last and never looked back. I have two cups of that per morning, spread out over two hours, and about 3 cups of herbal tea (usually peppermint ) that I usually drink previous to that in a futile attempt to warm myself back to sleep at 3am. If I'm still up at 5am, coffee it is! :LOL
#10 of 16 Old 09-23-2005, 11:30 AM

Quote:
:LOL You are so correct!
#11 of 16 Old 09-24-2005, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicerosum
I"m feeling ya. Trying to mix in decaf beans with the regular in the morning.
LOL THAT was beautifully said I'm normally about a 5-6 cup of coffee a DAY person EEEK! So I cut back to two as soon as I found out I was pregnant and OMG did the headaches begin! I had a headache for 3days straight... finally added a third cup back in just to quell the headache and have weaned myself down to a cup in the am, half a cup at lunch and a cup in the evening with hubby.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#12 of 16 Old 09-26-2005, 12:42 PM

tea has wayyy less caffeine than coffee so i wouldnt stress it---maybe just use less teabags per cup and lotsa milk.

that's what i did---

also on another board i was on a while back with loads of english ladies--i asked them--there is NO WAY the english gov. would tell english ladies to cut back on tea, is there? and they all said the recommendations were "to cut back" to around 3 cups a day!

and think about it--the only thing caffeine does is speed up the heartrate. so does exercise, sex, and a horror movie, and none of those things are outlawed during PG.
#13 of 16 Old 09-26-2005, 12:48 PM

ME!!! I am on my second c up of tea and will peobably drink several more. I have been trying to switch to herb tea but it is slow going...

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#14 of 16 Old 09-26-2005, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Normally I would wholeheartedly agree. But that is before I started grinding my own beans half and half SBC organic decaf and Starbucks Yukon blend. (um, don't ask. I have many freiends who are barristas)
I am down to 2 largeish cups of french-press half-caf a day. That is a huge improvement from a pot a day 6 months ago, and 2 pots per day before DS.
I discovered that 1 cup of full-caf wasn't going to do it. I like to savor it, and wander around the house all morning with a jaccuzi-sized mug of coffee.
#15 of 16 Old 09-27-2005, 01:35 PM

Much to my surprise, after a love affair with coffee that has lasted for nearly twenty years, I find myself able to drink about one cup. If I have any more, I end up feeling kind of acidy and icky.
My husband says "the Tadpole doesn't want coffee, apparently." and I say "OH NO!" as I go to sleep on my keyboard....zzzzz.....
#16 of 16 Old 09-27-2005, 03:15 PM

I have no intention of giving up caffeine altogether; it's the glue to my day, the get-up in my get-up-and-go, the all-important thin thread that keeps me hanging on and allows me to accomplish the millions of things I do everyday!

With that said, I have, of course, cut WAAAY back, which has been made easier by the fact that the smell of coffee currently makes me hurl. Interesting side effect! :LOL So while I look longingly at the coffee beans my girlfriend thoughtfully brought me back from Hawaii last week, I can't sniff them or drink them until the first trimester's over. Waaah!

But I can't give up my daily afternoon Cherry Coke -- the carbonation settles my stomach and the caffeine gets me through the awful late afternoon sleepies so that I only nod off every 15 mins. during homeschooling my DS, instead of every 2!

But then again, I'm a sort of "everything in moderation" kind of gal, so I don't view 1-2 caffeinated beverages a day as inherently evil... :

Guin

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page