Please tell me about B6 for m/s - desperate! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-27-2005, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Over the last few days m/s has really hit me hard, so badly that I can barely function through the nausea. Yesterday I had to have dh come home early to help w/the kids, while I was either in bed or the bathroom all day. I just cannot live like this for another month, or two! (I am 7 weeks pregnant.)

I have read about some of you having success w/vitamin B6. Please share! How do you take it, dosage & frequency? Any specific brands you like? Any other recommendations?

TIA from a very desperate mama.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#2 of 17 Old 09-27-2005, 10:50 AM

I just buy it at my food coop. It is a 100 mg tablet. I break it in half and take 50 mg before bed and 50 mg when I wake up. During the day I also drink water with Emergen-C in it. Emergen-C is a fizzy vitamin powder that has 10 mg B6 in it along with a lot of other vitamins. I take that to drink when I exercise and throughout the day. My midwife said not to exceed 150 mg B6 per day total. My prenatal only has about 4 mg.

Good luck.

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#3 of 17 Old 09-27-2005, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just started taking Floradix (liquid vitamin/mineral supp.) and it wiped out my queasiness. I don't mind the taste but it might be hard to swallow with super queasiness. It seems logical that the kind of vitamin you absorb better will help the best. So, taking two different kinds like ND suggested would help cover your bases. Emergen-C has many yummy flavors.
#4 of 17 Old 09-27-2005, 01:28 PM

I like floradix, too (but haven't found it here yet -- I'm looking today!) but I have heard that many women can't stand it when they're pregnant. Taking it with orange juice seems to help.

Me, I just take a b-complex pill at night. I don't know whether it's helping or not... I've had moments of really yucky queasiness, but they seem to pass as soon as I eat (mostly). This is already so much better than the last time I was pregnant that I could throw a party, I'm so happy!

Good luck!
#5 of 17 Old 09-27-2005, 03:24 PM

I tkae 1/2 a pill of Unisom and one B6 at night, and the other 1/2 of Unisom the next day. It has REALLY helped with my m/s. I am still queasy during the day, but this I can handle!!! :LOL

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#6 of 17 Old 09-28-2005, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydnee
I tkae 1/2 a pill of Unisom and one B6 at night, and the other 1/2 of Unisom the next day. It has REALLY helped with my m/s. I am still queasy during the day, but this I can handle!!! :LOL
Sydnee, what is the Unisom? I haven't heard of that. :
Thanks everyone for the info.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#7 of 17 Old 09-28-2005, 01:33 PM

for me...when i hit that really rough day a week or so ago...stopping drinking water really helped. i switched to propel (that gatorade drink.) it has b6 in it and it tastes great. it was the water that was getting me. and now i also eat small meals every 2 hours (round the clock, except nighttime) and it really helps stave nausea. (i eat yogurt, banana, oatmeal, things like that...and also an actual meal three times.)

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
#8 of 17 Old 09-28-2005, 04:31 PM

I just got the stuff in the mail (a gift from my FIL and his wife, my step-MIL) called "morning sickness magic." It was developed by a friend of the family, who is a CNM, RN and CLE. (She also does awesome AIDs related work in Africa -- she's a cool woman!)

I've only tried it today, but it did taste pretty good, and it has ginger and B6 in it (along with red raspberry leaf and folic acid). It seemed to help a little, but my m/s isn't that bad.

It's a liqued concentrate that you take 4 times a day (there's also a powder available). I'll let you guys know how it helps in the long run...

http://www.morning-sickness-magic.com/
#9 of 17 Old 09-28-2005, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Check out this link http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...rient&dbid=108 for B6 info and a helpful chart of B6 foods.
#10 of 17 Old 09-29-2005, 12:17 AM

Wow, that chart is really interesting. Most of the foods on that list are the few that don't make my stomach turn. Wow.

ND

#11 of 17 Old 09-29-2005, 01:21 AM

I too am taking the morning sickness magic. IT is really helping me. I would suggest taking the b6 at bedtime. Good luck!
#12 of 17 Old 09-29-2005, 12:52 PM

The other night, I took 50 mg of B6 before bed.... and I was restless and unable to sleep most of the night.

Is it just me? or does B6 keep anyone else up?
#13 of 17 Old 09-29-2005, 01:26 PM

Unisom is an over the counter sleeping pill. I have taken it with 3 of my other children and it worked wonderfully! I always had to take 1 full pill for the first trimester and then was able to go down to 1/2 pill for the rest of the pregnancy (I have m/s the entire pregnancy). I did call the pharmacist just to find out exactly what was in this and he said Unisom is a antihystamine and does work well for m/s. My doctor was the one that told me to take this , but you should still talk with your doctor first. My current doctor is not familiar with it, but i have used it with great success and so I am comfortable with it. I even read about it in the Pregnancy magazine too!
I always take it before bed because it IS a sleeping pill, hehe.

kristi
#14 of 17 Old 09-29-2005, 02:28 PM

Unisom is the same active ingredient as Benadryl. I personally would not take it in the first trimester.
#15 of 17 Old 10-02-2005, 09:37 PM

Unisom is NOT the same active ingredient as benadryl.

The active ingredient is called doxylamine succinate.
It was one of three ingredients used in the 1970's morning sickness drug called Bendectin.

I actually HAVE to take it, because I have a blood histamine disorder and my regular meds ARE PROVEN toxic to the baby, and doxylamine is the only antihistamine that works for my condition.

There was a big hullabaloo when some women tried to blame their babies birth defects on the drug, but IT HAS NEVER BEEN PROVEN TO BE HARMFUL.

I took it daily with all three of my previous pregnancies and have totally normal healthy children.

It does help with morning sickness.
I am defn'ly against routine use of most of western medicine, but being someone with severe morning sickness and previous use that caused no problems, I will continue to use it so I can at least sort of function.
#16 of 17 Old 10-02-2005, 10:24 PM

Are any of you using the antihistamine while nursing? Is it affecting your supply in any way that you can tell?

I am splitting the B6 and doing 50mg in the morning and 50 mg before bed. It is going OK. The only time I have it rough is first thing in the morning when I don't have the luxury of taking it slowly and it is too much too fast.

ND

#17 of 17 Old 10-02-2005, 10:29 PM

Unisom SleepGels® contain diphenhydramine HCl. Unisom SleepTabs® contain doxylamine succinate.

Benadryl contains the histamine-blocker diphenhydramine

I remember reading/noticing that it was the same active ingredient during my last pregnancy. I have read info going both ways about both drugs, so ask your doc, but I just pulled that off of their respective websites.

Have a look to see for yourself.

www.unisom.com
www.benadryl.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page