Are you planning on finding out the sex or being surprised? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: will you find out the sex of the baby?
yes 25 49.02%
no 21 41.18%
undecided 5 9.80%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 09-28-2005, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
momma2emerson and alexis...it's actually reassuring to hear other people have the same difficult decision-making process (one way or the other). As you say, alexis, even though it doesn't get talked about much here, people who are Jewish/Muslim do have very real, competing feelings and pressures on both sides of the issue. Hmmm...I may be pming you both in, oh, 14 1/2 weeks or so.
#32 of 40 Old 09-29-2005, 01:37 PM

I voted yes because we found out when I was pregnant with both of our boys, but we're not 100% sure we'll peek this time. I may not be able to resist, though because if it's a girl there are a lot of clothes I would like to buy for her :LOL

On the more serious subject of circumcision, both of my boys are circumcised and not for religious reasons. I tried to argue agains circ w/my dh, but he made a strong case for me to follow his wishes on circ.

For those that are considering circ for religious (or any) reason - just do a little research on the person who does your circ. My second ds slept through his circ, which I totally attribute to our doctor's skill and the use of anesthetic.

Michelle - Mom to 3 very wonderful and very active boys   
#33 of 40 Old 09-29-2005, 02:24 PM

we're going to find out. also impatient...but i figure it's a surprise no matter what, whether you wait only 20 weeks, or wait 40 weeks. but i'm also a bargain shopper and there have been plenty of very cute boy clothes taht i've had to pass up cuz i just don't know for sure (i've got a strong feeling it's a boy..we were right the last time, so i trust it this time )

also, if it's a boy we will need to have the circ discussion. i don't think he'll have a strong opinion on it, one way or the other...not to make dh sound like an idiot, but a few years ago, he didn't even know he was circed! i had to tell him :LOL evidently he never compared (at least not with someone who wasn't) i guess he just thought that's how they are naturally.

i'm glad he's not afraid to appear dumb in front of me

Mama to Butterfly, B(ee), Bug, and Laniecakes

#34 of 40 Old 09-29-2005, 06:24 PM

I didn't mention circ in my previous post, but our ds is circ'd. Not sure if that will happen again since I personally wouldn't circ if it was up to me but dh was adamant with ds... and yes, I gave him ALL the the current information and yes, he watched a video of one being done. I did insist that he comfort ds during the surgery in the ped's office (ped showed him how to let ds suck on his finger), he made sure the ped used pain relief and of course once it was done I came back in the room and nursed him (while I cried ). It healed quickly and he didn't seem to suffer any long-term effects like colic, crying etc thankfully... if he had it would have really made things bad in our marriage since I was so against it.

I find it strange and ironic to choose to circ for non-religious reasons (I don't consider my Christianity a religious reason to circ) after having an all natural homebirth and not vaxing etc, but that's the way things worked out last time and might work out this time.

I don't mention it (ds being circ'd) much online because my feelings get hurt, but I am married and consider it a partnership. I make so many of the decisions in our family that I want to give dh some say when he has strong feelings about something. Our disagreement on circ caused a rift in our marriage and a lot of stress on myself that manifested itself in physical problems while I was in the final days of my pregnancy so in the end I compromised.

I do honestly wonder if dh will want to circ again after witnessing ds being circ'd. I guess we'll see if he makes the arrangements after the birth if it's a boy. And of course, I'll be sure to leave the pregnancy edition of Mothering with the circ article in the bathroom so he'll end up seeing it when he's on the throne.

Enough of my
#35 of 40 Old 09-29-2005, 07:25 PM

Michelle

Amanda, feel free to PM me I know Jews who have made the decision both ways. It is a hard decision to make.

We talked with our (new, since we just moved here) Rabbi today, and yay, he's not only willing but excited to do a baby-naming ceremony if we have a girl! Yay!!!
#36 of 40 Old 09-30-2005, 06:58 AM

No U/S for us! With our first we had an U/S but still did not find out till she was born. To give you an idea how weird i am, this is what I was thinking as I was finding out if Katie was a girl as I had just had her.
I was holding her with my DH, the staff assumed we knew so no one said anything. I started to ask " Is it a.... " but stopped becuase I felt terrible that I would be more concerned with what sex my baby was, and that would be the first thing I would ask about my baby as a new mother - so I finished the question teh best I could having just had the baby " is it a baby?"
everyone thought I was just a little goofy from the delivery, but I really was thinking... SO That is what my first question to Katie was as she entered the world... what are you?
#37 of 40 Old 09-30-2005, 01:58 PM

I'm not having any ultrasounds. The suprise, definately! :LOL

Stacy - mom to Lily 5-20-06 , Angel, stillborn @ 25 wks 12-17-07 , and Cami 4-21-09.
#38 of 40 Old 09-30-2005, 02:14 PM

We tried to find out if ds was a boy or girl. We really wanted to know, but he kept his legs tucked up.
When ds was born, his gender seemed inconsequential. The joy was just about holding our precious, beautiful baby. (I am not arguing that other mamas feel otherwise). So for me, Iknow I would experience a greater quantity of fun and excitement finding out earlier (partially for bargan (sp?) shopping.) So if we can find out, we definately will, and will look forward to the hours of daydreaming about our little Stella or Eli.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#39 of 40 Old 09-30-2005, 08:50 PM

we're undecided...we didn't find out with dd, both because we didn't want to and also because we didn't have the u/s at 20 weeks.

this time i definitely want the u/s... just for peace of mind. having a child already, i feel like the implications if we have a child with downs or another disability is a bigger deal- both for her life and ours. as for the gender... i'm on the fence. part of me wants the experience of knowing this time since i didnt' last time- just cause it would be different. but then i think i'd be bummed if i found out. so, we'll see. might be one of those in the moment decisions.

either way... we're not telling names!!

has anyone else heard that thing about ph and gender? (the post on vegetarians having more girls...) because gender is determined by the chromosomes the sperm carries i can't see how ph makes a difference... though i know that "girl" sperm live longer in the vaginal canal than "male" sperm and so perhaps the ph makes a difference and that's why.

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#40 of 40 Old 10-01-2005, 12:33 AM

We'll be finding out. As someone else said, we're the kind who peek at Cmas gifts.

Although I am definitely anti-RIC, I can feel for those of you who are Jewish. There are lots of decisions that I make based on religious reasons myself, so it would make the decision much harder for me.

As for us, my dh was circ'd, but was opposed to it for our children. He just felt it wasn't necessary and wasn't the right thing to do. I never really thought too much about it, but my inclination was towards not doing it, so we didn't. (I had read several books on female genital mutilation, and was a little wary of any uneccessary changes although they aren't the same thing.) My bros weren't circ'd either. After I had a child, I learned much more about what it really was.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page