When are going to tell people? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-29-2005, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering when everyone is planning on telling people about the babe.

With dd my sister somehow guessed at about 6 weeks (we don't even live in the same city and dd was a surprise so I am not sure how) and I told my Mom at about 8. We told dh's parents and a couple of close friends at about 12 weeks and then everyone else after 14 or so.

We haven't told anyone yet, but I am only 5 weeks so I am not sure when we will start telling family.

Just wondering what everyone else is doing?
#2 of 13 Old 09-30-2005, 12:47 PM

Probably soon, just to get it done. I'm 9 weeks so likely in the next couple weeks we'll get everyone told I don't think my tummy will allow us to hide it much longer than that!

I think whenever you feel comfortable telling is the best time to tell, whether that be early or late.

C ~ mama to (16), (13), (9) (5)

#3 of 13 Old 09-30-2005, 01:52 PM

This is our first, so we're trying to hold out until Thanksgiving. That would be almost 13 weeks for me. I don't know if we're going to make it, tho, and it would be a huge relief to have it out in the open. But, I'm too afraid of mc to tell quite yet.

Stacy - mom to Lily 5-20-06 , Angel, stillborn @ 25 wks 12-17-07 , and Cami 4-21-09.
#4 of 13 Old 10-01-2005, 12:22 AM

With my first, I told one friend right away, then we waited until 8-9 weeks to tell the gparents.

With the baby I m/cd this summer, I told almost everyone I knew by week six, had a m/c at week 7. With the exception of a couple of people, it was much better that they knew. I had a lot of support during my m/c.

This time, 3 close friends know. I'm not sure when I'm telling everyone else. Maybe after I hear the heartbeat. I have a hard time keeping secrets.
#5 of 13 Old 10-01-2005, 02:20 AM

Not sure. We share when we feel comfortable or when people ask direct questions, but have been pretty close-lipped about it to close friends and family. I live in CA, but will visit family in NY (all my immediate family still lives there) for Thanksgiving, so we're thinking about waiting until then. But sheesh, that seems like a looooong time! But I'll be about 14 wks then and it seems "safe".

Don't want to offend anyone (family/friends) by waiting, but want to do it on our terms. Just trying not to push myself either way. I have several friends that would probably be judgemental either way - e.g. say I told "too early" or upset that I didn't share earlier.
#6 of 13 Old 10-01-2005, 09:36 AM

I try to keep the rule that anyone I would share that I had a miscarriage with, gets to know we are pregnant. So my parents, sibling and sister-in-law know. My two best friends know. And against my will, my entire nursing class and all the istructors know. The daily vomiting gave it away. I see those people way too much. We are also telling the in-laws this weekend. I feel bad that they don't know yet. My FIL knows something is up. He hugged my last weekend and said that he hopes I feel better. I didn't even tell him I was feeling bad, but I was a little green and very tired-looking.
#7 of 13 Old 10-01-2005, 12:55 PM

Our plan was not to tell until 12 weeks.
Well, that was a lot easier LAST time when we didn't find out we were pg until 12 weeks.
We have told my parents, Mac's parents, and my best friend. That's it so far!

I told my mom this week, I am about 7 weeks...
Her response?
"Oh. I THOUGHT you were pg because 3 weeks ago you looked really puffy."

OK. WTF? Thanks mom. : Because I have gained like 2 lbs NOW and NOTHING THEN and she is just not very tactful, is she?
#8 of 13 Old 10-01-2005, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82
Our plan was not to tell until 12 weeks.
Well, that was a lot easier LAST time when we didn't find out we were pg until 12 weeks.
We have told my parents, Mac's parents, and my best friend. That's it so far!

I told my mom this week, I am about 7 weeks...
Her response?
"Oh. I THOUGHT you were pg because 3 weeks ago you looked really puffy."

OK. WTF? Thanks mom. : Because I have gained like 2 lbs NOW and NOTHING THEN and she is just not very tactful, is she?

Aren't Mother's the best
#9 of 13 Old 10-01-2005, 10:51 PM

I've already told a bunch of people. I told people right away last time too. Except I waited till about 14 weeks to tell work, and I'll probably wait that long for work, too.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#10 of 13 Old 10-02-2005, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacysmommy
I've already told a bunch of people. I told people right away last time too. Except I waited till about 14 weeks to tell work, and I'll probably wait that long for work, too.
Yeah, not telling work until it's obvious. I JUST (like, right around the time I got pg) got promoted to an awesome job, to replace a girl who left after only a year. Never came back after maternity leave. So, no reason to flip the boss out before I HAVE to.
#11 of 13 Old 10-02-2005, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My mom has always kinda kept track of our periods- my sis and I have PMS so she always wants to know if it's the hormones talking to her, so she guessed right away. I've told family, my husband told a blabbermouth friend of his, so a few more people know. Honestly, I want to start telling everyone. I have so many zits, and I'm obviously fatter. I want people to know it's the babe's fault, not mine!
#12 of 13 Old 10-02-2005, 10:36 PM

WE play it by ear. I have told more than I really wanted to so far. But at preschool there was a chicken pox scare and a discussion of whether to have a pox party or not so of course that came up. My friends are noticing that I am pretty sick and not up to my regular energy. I have of course told our moms, and my best friends because I have no secrets from them :LOL

I am having a hard time with how and when to tell our close friends who are struggling with infertility and are in the process of adopting. I know the news will be painful to them, but I can't keep it from them you know?

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#13 of 13 Old 10-03-2005, 10:02 AM
LBW

I've told a couple of friends, my mom, and sister. I'm waiting until after my first MW appt (next week!!) to tell the rest of my friends. Not sure about work yet -- might try to wait as long as possible, but I don't feel as strongly about waiting until 12 weeks this time. I'm guessing everyone will know between 8 and 10 weeks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page