HB mamas... when are you having first prenatal? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 09-30-2005, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend of mine (she uses the same mw) was asking me when the mw was going to see me for my first prenatal so it occurred to me that I should ask my midwife. :LOL I suppose she probably waits until you're more likely to hear the heartbeat, but I dunno for sure. Last time I was 19 weeks when I asked her to take over my prenatal care so I haven't done early prenatal care with a midwife.

I'm just feeling chatty today!
#2 of 20 Old 09-30-2005, 01:47 PM

I don't know yet. : I just had an initial consultation with my mw, and I haven't called to set up an appt yet.

Stacy - mom to Lily 5-20-06 , Angel, stillborn @ 25 wks 12-17-07 , and Cami 4-21-09.
#3 of 20 Old 09-30-2005, 02:23 PM

Where I live, registered MWs do prenatal appointments during the entire PG. Just had my first one at 8 weeks. Maybe I'm jaded, but this time around it kinda seems like a waste of time to go every month (and then more frequently later).

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

#4 of 20 Old 09-30-2005, 07:37 PM

I just had my first real appointment today. I am 8.5 weeks. I go back at week 11 to hear the heart beat, and then every month or so, I guess. I feel so much better now that the midwife said everything looks good and I am in good health
#5 of 20 Old 09-30-2005, 08:30 PM

we have our first initial appt. next wednesday... an information interview kinda thing. i assume we'll see them about a month later after that? looking forward to it though... i know one of them and have met the other and they're great women.

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#6 of 20 Old 10-01-2005, 01:26 AM

tomorrow!! woo-hoo!

it's just my first interview thing, though, but she did say we could set up my chart if i wanted to. i'm thinking i probably will, even though i've only spoken with her over the phone so far. i hope she's everything i want her to be!

i'm so excited.

#7 of 20 Old 10-01-2005, 02:08 AM

Wheee! Happypants, you must be so excited!

I haven't figured any of this out yet. Tomorrow our insurance provider changes, so I'm wondering if I want to go to a Dr. at all, if I need a referral to a mw to get it covered (don't even know if that's possible), just not sure what the best course is. I'm realizing how much the culture of "you *must* see a Dr." has gotten to me, and trying to make an informed decision, but not sure where to get the information!

Looking forward to hearing all about what you ladies end up doing. . .

Good luck with your appts.!
#8 of 20 Old 10-01-2005, 11:20 AM

About 10 weeks, 10/25!
#9 of 20 Old 10-01-2005, 12:57 PM

i made an appointment with a family practice dr. for 8 weeks, but my gut is telling me to cancel the appointment, go with a different doc (a little more like-minded doc), and why not wait till around 12 weeks. i don't see any reason to go in before that right now. if i can't hear the heartbeat when i go in, what's the point? :LOL

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!
#10 of 20 Old 10-01-2005, 04:19 PM

I was thinking 12 weeks sounded good. Still need to call around and find a midwife, but eh. I'm feelng blah about it.
#11 of 20 Old 10-01-2005, 10:45 PM

I'm seeing my MW when I'm a day shy of 10 weeks along. She said anywhere from 10 to 12 weeks was the usual. I saw her last time at about 5 or 6 weeks, but it was more a get to know you visit. Since I have had a birth with her, I don't need that this time around!

I can't wait to see her! She's getting me a book from her library about tandem nursing. YEA!

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#12 of 20 Old 10-02-2005, 10:51 PM

I had my first visit at 6 weeks, which is so early, but I wanted to meet this mw. I hoped that I would be just crazy about her and immediately feel bonded with her and all this sappy stuff, but it didn't happen. I do love her assistant, though. Her daughter stays with her all day at work, and my one year old was just crazy about this big 2 year old girl!

I'm hoping we hear a heartbeat at my 10 wk appt.
#13 of 20 Old 10-03-2005, 02:52 PM

My first appt with the homebirth midwives is Nov 2, I'll be about 13.5 wks. It likely would have been sooner, but they are all out most of October at a state midwifery conference.

I made an appt with the hospital midwife (just in case we end up not being able to afford the homebirth) and it's this Thursday, I'll be right at 10 weeks. Hoping we can at least hear the heartbeat!!

C ~ mama to (16), (13), (9) (5)

#14 of 20 Old 10-03-2005, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't heard back from my midwife yet unfortunately, but email isn't the quickest way to hear back from her either. I'll call her next week if I haven't heard from her just so I know what week to look forward to (hopefully) hearing the heartbeat.
#15 of 20 Old 10-06-2005, 02:10 PM

Had my first appointment at 6 weeks - but don't go back until 12 weeks. Last time I saw them every 4 weeks until 20+ weeks, but this time they said they've slowed their schedules down - first, they'll see me every 5 - 6 weeks, then every 3 weeks or so, and then once a week after 37 weeks or so. Works for me! I think the big advantage to me of going even that often is getting to know the midwives, since it is a group practice of 5 women and you don't 'officially' know who'll be on-call when you go into labor. (Unofficially, I have been told that you can actually make requests if you feel strongly - which I might, since there is one out of the 5 who I would NOT want at my birth.)

Obviously, this won't be an issue if you're working with one or two midwives.

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#16 of 20 Old 10-06-2005, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

I found out she's thinking around 11 weeks so we can hear the heartbeat... I think we'll aim for closer to 12 weeks, I really want to hear that !

After that, we'll do the every month, then twice a month and at the end every week or so. My midwife shares two apprentices with another midwife, so I know my midwife and one or two of the apprentices will be there. I've already met these apprentices since they were at my friend's birth in April.

I'm excited!
#17 of 20 Old 10-07-2005, 10:55 AM

I see my midwife next wednesday - I am SOOOOOOOOOO excited. :LOL Did I mention I am excited? Most of all because she allows my DD to go. Hooray!
#18 of 20 Old 10-07-2005, 11:49 AM

My first Appt is October 20th with the same MW I've used for my last two births

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#19 of 20 Old 10-08-2005, 09:14 PM

I just had my first appt with my midwife last week.
We figure I was somewhere in my 9th week or so...I think....

This is the first time I've used this midwife (had an sOB with #1 and medwives group with #2) and I absolutely love her.
She is willing to be as hands off as I want/need
(but still offers me all the standard stuff, in case I should want it)

And...she just found out she is pregnant too!
She let me know before my first appt, so I could decide if I still wanted to go with her.
I told her as long as she was comfortable with it, I was okay with it too.
How cool for both of us to go through our third pregnancies together??

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
#20 of 20 Old 10-08-2005, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

That's neat Unreal! I think my midwife is done having babies herself... she had six and her youngest is a preteen- actually I guess she's a teen now! I can't remember how many grandchildren she has but she does NOT seem old enough to be a grandma! :LOL

My sOB (love that) was pregnant and due with her third two months after I was due with #1 but since we didn't have a connection the way I do with my midwife it wasn't a girl-talk sort of thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page