When does the exhaustion really stop? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-04-2005, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm six weeks and change, and I've been SO exhausted the last few weeks (I don't know how those of you with other dc do it!). I haven't done any real work in at least a week--and I really need to snap out of it, as I have deadlines coming up.

For those of you who are on your second (or more) pregnancy, when does the tiredness really go away? Everyone says "You'll feel better in the second trimester", but I'm sure there's more of a continuum to it.

Any tips for energizing myself?
#2 of 16 Old 10-04-2005, 06:16 PM

Um, when they are 18 and out of the house? :LOL

Just kidding. I found that by the fourth month of pregnancy, i am feeling much better. This lasts until I start getting big, around the 8th month or so.

When you get bigger, you get tired in other ways, and your sleep gets more disrupted. But it isn't this bone tired exhaustion that we are experiencing now. I think the sleep disruption in the third trimester is nature's way of getting us ready for the sleep pattern we will assume once the baby is here.

I think the best thing you can do is just listen to your body and try to give it what it needs. We are under the sway of a whole new hormonal regulation and it takes a while for our bodies to adjust.

You will feel much better once the nausea goes away too. Hang in there.
ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#3 of 16 Old 10-04-2005, 06:51 PM

for me after about 13 weeks or so i was feeling better all around. less tired, no nausea, etc. this time i am still tired, but i think it is because i am chasing around an energetic 3 year old all the time. i was much less tired with my first pregnancy, though i am much improved from the first trimester.
#4 of 16 Old 10-04-2005, 07:51 PM
LBW

I've actually been feeling a little better the last couple of days -- I'm 7w3d today. It's probably just a fluke, though. I'm sure I'll be a zombie again tomorrow!
#5 of 16 Old 10-04-2005, 11:43 PM

For me it was around 11 weeks. I was feeling pretty good then until about 34 weeks, when I just started feeling big... and tired again!

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#6 of 16 Old 10-05-2005, 04:57 AM

Just chiming in with a me too! I am getting nothing done around the house. I am worried becuase I know this is as easy as my parenting will ever be, with my one DD and being preggy, if I am this tired now, and the house is falling apart at the seams how will it be when I have ten kids and preggy... I guess my older kids will help, huh?
I keep telling myself the movers come the 12th and the 20th, so what does it matter if the house is falling apart, they will box it up for me and I will deal with it when I get to WA My poor family!
#7 of 16 Old 10-05-2005, 07:01 AM

me too! me too!

i hear ya, nycveg. i was wondering just yesterday if i would start feeling better before the end of my school semester showed up. if not, i don't know how well i'm going to do.

it would help if i could get back to sleep when i wake up at 5 am, considering i don't have to be up until 8 or 9. zzzzzz
#8 of 16 Old 10-05-2005, 07:18 AM

I remember dramatic changes in the fatigue as soon as I hit the 12 week mark. Second trimester is a breeze!

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#9 of 16 Old 10-05-2005, 10:00 AM

My fatigue and nausea didn't go away until week 16 with dd. I honestly never thought it would end, but it did and I felt great after that. I am really hoping that this time it ends sooner than that. Hang in there, it does go away!
#10 of 16 Old 10-05-2005, 10:23 AM

At 10 weeks I have started feeling an increase in energy. Yesterday, I was able to clean the table, stove top, kitchen counter and load the dishes. The most household work I have done in weeks!! I was also able to really get down on the floor and play with DS.
With preg#2 it took much longer to feel better.
It is really awful to feel ina fog all day.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#11 of 16 Old 10-05-2005, 10:35 AM

LMAO at ND...

I am 9 weeks (or so) today and the M S has been better and so has my energy level. I find I don't need an afternoon nap but I am WIPED at night!
#12 of 16 Old 10-05-2005, 03:31 PM
ltk

Hi there! This is my first pregnancy, I have been WIPED OUT for about a month, napping for hours and feeling like the world was crumbling around me!!
This week, I haven't taken a nap at all! My boobs aren't as sore and I feel like have a reasonable amount of energy. I still don't wanna be at work, but I the the M.S and exhaustion have subsided. Here's to hoping!!! It sounds like everyone is different and every pregnancy/child is different. no formula here, just generalizations! :

Veggie, Activist, 32, Married to Karan and loving this feeling inside
#13 of 16 Old 10-05-2005, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo
At 10 weeks I have started feeling an increase in energy. Yesterday, I was able to clean the table, stove top, kitchen counter and load the dishes. The most household work I have done in weeks!! I was also able to really get down on the floor and play with DS.
With preg#2 it took much longer to feel better.
It is really awful to feel ina fog all day.

Me too!!! :LOL I actually took Monday off, just to try and caught up with housework!!! :LOL

For me it's usually around 12 weeks, when the m/s is gone.

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#14 of 16 Old 10-06-2005, 08:40 AM

With ds, my ms only lasted a couple of weeks. It started at 6 weeks and ended at 8 or 9. Around that time the exhaustion ended, too (at least that's how I remember it!). I'm hoping that will be the case during this pregnancy, too. I hate the exhaustion! It's the worst part of being pregnant.
#15 of 16 Old 10-06-2005, 10:26 AM

I'm 9 weeks with #3 now, but noticed a definite improvement at 8 weeks. I'm still tired when I go to bed and don't stay up as late as I used to, but I don't require a daily nap anymore. Thank goodness because I have two human hooligans and we're adopting a canine today so now I can housetrain the dog.
#16 of 16 Old 10-06-2005, 01:50 PM

I am about 2 months behind where I was in the year's calendar last time. I know I started feeling much better in early September last time (at about 12 - 14 weeks) so I know (I hope!) I will be feeling much better in early November this time.

So I'll be 10 weeks tomorrow. This is the point where I *KNOW* intellectually that I really will start feeling better sometime in the not TOO distant future. But I don't believe it in my heart/body. My body believes it is going to keep feeling miserable forever. :-(

Keep on hangin' on.

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page