Mothering Forum banner

What baby carriers are on your lust list?

2K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  ~*max*~ 
#1 ·
There are some great babywearing sites out there. Now's the time to do your research and put those carriers on the Christmas list or baby shower registry

I am a die-hard Ergo carrier user, but I probably won't be using it until around four months old. We did use a Baby Bjorn for a while last time, but it's not very versatile, can't be used for very long (up to 20 lbs), and there is some concern about how it affects hip and spine development.

This time around I'd like to learn how to use a wrap for the early months. There are incredible animated wrap instructions on the mamatoto site so I think that will help. I'm especially interested in infant high back carries (like the Tibetan) - useful for keeping my baby close while caring for my 2 yo ds. The mamatoto site explains how to make a super-cheap wrap yourself, but I'm eyeing the Gypsy mama wool wrap. That wrap will be perfect for Infant Potty Training because the wool won't absorb dampness. Plus stretchy wraps are supposed to be more "poppable" - you can pop baby in and out easily.

I also want a good ring sling, something like a Zolowear sling. I think that might be the easiest for nursing.

Finally, I desire a good mei tai like a Kozy Carrier.

Is that too much to ask
?? Dear Santa...

See less See more
#2 ·
I love babywearing! And, ok, here's my little brag... I know Tracy (of Mamatoto.org) -- have monthly AP meetings with her and she showed me some new "carry's" and I know Maria - who wrote the book on Babywearing! She's one of my LLL leaders! Yes, they're all right here in Dallas with me!!!

I've got 2 Mayas (they're my overall favorite) and a Kozy which I like but haven't used much. For when my babies were little I LOVED my KKAFP - but with a May baby and TX heat I'm rethinking that - I had a KKACP but didn't really like it at all compared to the fleece.

My next carrier is going to be a 5yard piece of cloth from the fabric store - with MamaToto around I've learned Tons of ways to use it -- really it's all you need and there's a brand new DVD!!!! with all the major carrier makers showing how to do the different carries!

#4 ·
This is my first, so I'm so overwhelmed with options! It's really annoying to me that there are so few stores (are there any?) where they sell a range of slings...seems like, if you don't know any other baby-wearing mamas, you pretty much just have to try your luck in order to find out what you want.

Anyhoo...I really want a basic pouch sling for at least the first few months. Originally, I wanted a New Native, but based on product-reviews and opinions on MDC, I'm now coveting a Hotsling.

We're also planning on registering for an Ergo (probably mostly for dh, but who knows) and one wrap sling--I kind of like the Wise Woman sling. I also have a mei tei that a generous MDC mama passed along to me. It's gorgeous, but seems more complicated than I'll want for everyday use.

#5 ·
Dh and I both have Zolos (mine's silk, his is cotton). I love my Zolo ring sling! I want to get a pouch for the early months. And, I've used the heck out of my Zolo. Shoot, I still use it. It's looking a little shabby, but works great still, so I don't really need another one. I'm thinking of a Mamma's Milk pouch. I'm not sure though.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nmm2112
I know Tracy (of Mamatoto.org) -- have monthly AP meetings with her and she showed me some new "carry's" and I know Maria - who wrote the book on Babywearing! She's one of my LLL leaders!
Wow, so cool! That's what I'd like - some professional babywearing advice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmm2112
For when my babies were little I LOVED my KKAFP - but with a May baby and TX heat I'm rethinking that - I had a KKACP but didn't really like it at all compared to the fleece.
Yeah, we're definitely not doing fleece with a May baby even though our climate isn't as hot as yours. I'm hoping that the wool wrap won't be too hot - I've heard it's thin and not sweaty.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCVeg
It's really annoying to me that there are so few stores (are there any?) where they sell a range of slings...seems like, if you don't know any other baby-wearing mamas, you pretty much just have to try your luck in order to find out what you want.
Baby carriers are such specialty products that I don't think there's much of a profit margin to give a big cut to retailers. Definitely check out whether there are any sling consultants or babywearing groups in your area. Your local MotheringDotCommune thread (in the Find Your Tribe threads) might be able to tell you if there is a sling consultant in your area. Also, it's worth taking a risk with buying baby carriers because they have a pretty high resale value on the internet, especially new.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCVeg
I also have a mei tei that a generous MDC mama passed along to me. It's gorgeous, but seems more complicated than I'll want for everyday use.
They're not as complicated to use as they look. And if you have a baby who hates reclining like my first did, you'll get a lot of use out of it.

#8 ·
mmmmmmm baby carriers

My parenting style would have been really different if I didn't have my Maya wrap and hotsling with my first.

I want to get an Ergo (mostly for DH), but also like the idea for cleaning around the house.
I want to get really beautiful fabric to make my own ring sling. My Maya wrap is very well worn.
I want to make a mamababy wrap.. . hold on what is it called? It is by the maya wrap people, it is just a ring sling in stretchy t-shirt material. You can wear two at a time. It allows you to wear a newborn high up on your chest or shoulder. Something I couldn't do with my Maya. DS enjoyed being carried belly to belly between my breasts, so higher up wouldn't be necessary, but I do know that many babies like to be higher up.

We have a hip hammock, which DH mostly used. I hate it. It digs into my neck. I am thinking the Ergo will be a replacement for it.

I also would love a Mei Tai, but am unsure if it will be useful enough to spend money on, especially if we have an Ergo.

#9 ·
Hmmm...I'm a collector already.
I have fabric for two pouches or ring slings waiting to be sewn up right now, does that count for anything?
I have a mei tai that I made. I used the Frankencozy pattern and it is wonderful! It's very comfy and great for long outings or housework. I also made a no-sew mei tai out of fleece that we love. I have several pouches, 3 are hotslings because yes I like them that much!
I like her stretch cotton and fleece pouches the best. I only have one ring sling that I have made, and wish I had had one when DS was an infant, so that's likely to be my focus. If money was no object I would wish for one of these, they are just so beautiful.

My favorite though is the home made t-shirt fabric wrap, 6 yards because I need it and wanted to be able to do every wrap. It's so versatile. I love wraps and have about 4 homemade ones.

I have done a lot of study on Mamatoto and some of my carriers were made with their instructions. That site is such an inspiration, how neat that you know them!

#10 ·
I made a wrap for my sister last spring, and am hoping she'll give it to me, since she doesn't use it. I love mamatoto - it's what inspired me! How cool that you know her!!! Well, I just love the whole wrap concept, and I like it a lot better than any of the other products. Biomechanically, it makes more sense to me to spread the weight more evenly, which is what the wraps do, as opposed to the other products out there. (I teach biomech at a local university. Nerd.)
But ultimately I'm sure it's a balance between wearer and "wearee". Here's my dream wrap, though the Oopas are gorgeous too!!!

#11 ·
I have been thinking about this. One of the few things I'd like to buy for this baby (#4, so we have everything we need) is a new sling. I had a basic ring sling (that cannot be the right name?) w/my others, then lent it to SIL, and surprise - preggers again. I do not know too much about them, but I like the look of the maya wraps (are they the stretchy ones?). I saw a mom & baby out shopping in one. The baby was asleep, snuggled right up to mom & they both looked to comfortable. I need to go to the baby wearing forum & do some research. I would love any advice on recommended brands, fabrics, etc. How much is the going rate?

#12 ·
I love wraps, and will probably go hunting around for some nice silk or something to make a 6yd wrap, so even DH can wear it (6'4", 340 lbs)
I might hit tomtemama up to sew me a ring sling (oh, uh, yeah. I should ask first, eh? She makes lovely slings)
And I'll break out my podeagi. One can never have enough carriers! (Kinda like strollers. I have a problem.)

#13 ·
When DS was a newborn, he lived in his mom-and-me-creations pouch. But I'm worried that it's going to be really hot. I also have a Zolo, which I love, but only after they're about four or five months. I also have a Kozy (a mei tei), but I got it much later in the game, and it never became part of my everyday wearing.

I'm also thinking about one of the Mamatoto style wraps. I wonder -- can you breastfeed in it? That's one of my main goals; to find something I can bf in!

-Erin

#15 ·
Quick question for the experienced baby wearers...do you get slings in different fabrics for different seasons? If so, what are you planning on doing for a May baby? I'm guess I should just register for a couple of different cotton wraps (and the Ergo) and then get whichever one I like best in fleece in the winter (providing babe is willing!)?

#16 ·
Amanda- I used my silk Zolo every where in every season.

Ds was born in the winter in WA state, where every where I went, he was in the sling. When it warmed up, we just kept going. Ds has been slung during the summer in such various locations as Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, Mt St Helens Nat'l Monument, Crater Lake Nat'l Park, the redwood forests of California, all over San Francisco, Hoover Dam, the canyons of Utah, the deserts of New Mexico and Arizona, Austin, TX, New Orleans, Florida, etc. It is amazing how easy it is to hike wearing a 4-5 month old in a sling. All of those places had amazingly different temperatures for the same time of year. I was so glad that our sling worked well. I didn't really notice it being too hot or cold until this summer. On the 4th of July, we were watching the fireworks from my ILs lake house, out on the dock. It was a still, humid night and oh so hot. One of those nights where you feel like you're breathing pudding, because the air is so thick. Ds was in the sling and I had sweat running down my legs, and my hair was soaked. But, he's a lot bigger than he was last summer, and I imagine he gives off more heat. I don't think I really would have been much cooler in a cotton sling. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be wearing fleece though. Yuck! Although, I can't really imagine ever wearing a fleece sling. If it was cold when we went out, I put ds in a warmer outfit, and threw a coat on top of me.

#17 ·
I have fleece carriers for fall and winter here in Northern IL. In the fall I can use a fleece pouch instead of bringing a coat with to pop on and off. I still use my other carriers too though. I just wouldn't use fleece in summer!

Quote:
I used my silk Zolo every where in every season.
I so want to try one of these! The rest of my carriers are cotton or cotton stretch.

#18 ·
I had an OTSBH for #1 and it worked fine for us. Will get a maya wrap for this baby.

I secretly covet a zolowear sling - but we got lots of spit up, poop, pee and spilled food (from momma) on our OTSBH and I can't imagine spending the $$$ on the silk one and having it get ruined! (how have others delt with this?)

I also like the security (for baby) of a didymos (and apparent ease of nursing an older infant!) - but I am not a small woman and feel like it would show every leftover baby bulge I have! YIKES.

WHat is hotsling? anybody have a link?

#19 ·
Ah- my favorite topic! I love BWing and am looking forward to using my stash on a new baby. I have several Hotslings (including a fleece, which is my favorite), a Zolo, Kozy mei tai, FreeHand mei tai, Oopa silk ring sling, Storchenwiege wrap, and Ellaroo wrap. I have to say that I love them all- they all have their own uses and I would be lost without them. I didn't start doing any serious babywearing until Alden was about 10 weeks old so I am looking forward to trying it out with a "brand new" baby.

#20 ·
I'm pretty happy with what I have now, but I do want to get another Kozy since I sold mine.

I have:
two Pea in Pod pouches (my all-time fave pouch)
a Hotsling (adore the fabric but my PIP is more comfy)
a Patapum (awesome for long carries on the back)

I think I'll sell one of my PIP and the Patapum to fund a Kozy if I can. I've also had New Native, Ergo, Maya, Ellaroo wrap, and I dunno what else but my all time fave is the pouch- particularly the ever so soft and easy to use PIP.

Next?

#21 ·
Mom2Adam said:
I secretly covet a zolowear sling - but we got lots of spit up, poop, pee and spilled food (from momma) on our OTSBH and I can't imagine spending the $$$ on the silk one and having it get ruined! (how have others delt with this?)
QUOTE]

My ds was apparently VERY sensitive to casein (a protein in cow milk). Before I figured that out (and I stopped eating all dairy while bfing), he PUKED (not spitup) all the time. Since he was always in the sling, the sling frequently got nasty filthy! I just popped my Zolo in the washer on gentle and either line dried or threw it in the dryer on extra low heat. After almost 2 years of use, it is showing some wear. But, it is still completely functional.

#22 ·
I am getting a few Zolo's this time around. I got one for my girlfriend as a shower gift and she LOVED it - I need a summer (cotton) and winter (silk) one - their fabrics are gorgeous!

With DD I had a Maya and when she got older I had the original Hip Hammock, which was MUCH better than the verion by fisher price or whoever bought her out. We used it til DD was well over 2.

#23 ·
not too much to add, but gypsymama makes a cotton guaze wrap that i think i am going to invest in for a may/summer baby. i had a moby that i loved with dd, but that knit jersey can get super hot in the summer. i want something light and cool.

and an oopa... oh man... to die for!

#26 ·
x-post w/baby wearing forum

Anyone ever try "The Ultimate Baby Wrap"? I saw it advertised on OneHotMama.com. It looks like what I am hoping for this time around, and is pretty affordable.

PS, did anyone see Roxanne & Bob from OneHotMama on TLC's Bringing Home Baby? They were awesome. It was one of the first AP shows I had seen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.