Mothering Forum banner

I have a ? for all of you on your 2+ pgies

818 views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  flowmom 
#1 ·
I have been having some wierd feelings in my uterus it isn't the baby moving but it is like my uterus is staying really tight and it is really uncomfortable.
It doesn't hurt per say but it feels strange and I feel like I can't stand up
straight sometimes bc my uterus is so tight. If anyone can please help me figure out what is causing this I would really appreciate it.

#4 ·
Vicky - That is what I thought but it isn't like that. To tell you the truth it feels like a contraction with out the pain? I know that sounds wierd but it is the only way I know how to describe it. It just started yesterday and has been getting worse.

#8 ·
ah ha...they actually start at around 6 weeks, just really weak:

Quote:
What are Braxton Hicks contractions?
Braxton Hicks are sporadic uterine contractions that actually start at about 6 weeks, although you won't be able to feel them that early. You probably won't start to notice them until sometime after midpregnancy, if you notice them at all (some women don't).
from babycenter (of all places!)

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ellymay
it is really annoying!
Yes!

I did call my midwives about it when it happened with me. They said not to worry as long as I wasn't getting cramps and there was no bleeding..and they weren't regular.

Of course I have a friend who had REGULAR BH for a few hours a time all through all her pregnancies. With her first, the nurse was sure she was in pre-term labor and wouldn't listen to her at all..
so it does happen....

#11 ·
Ellymay i have had that EXACT feeling a few times.. i didnt really know what to think about it...it doesnt happen that often but its just like what you are describing...a tightness, no pain, lasts a 2-5 seconds..
im just a tiny bit worried about it.

#13 ·
I'm sure what I've been having are BH, but sometimes they do hurt, not bad but enough to make me nervous. And when I get cramps, like period cramps fro example, sometimes they feel more like tightening than like cramps. I'm not sure what the difference is between BH contractions, regualr contractions, and cramps. The things i'm getting nowi think are only registeing as painful sometimes because I'm worried about cramping though. Being pg after a miscarriage makes for a lot of worrying.

#14 ·
Yup, sounds exactly like the Braxton Hicks I get. This is my fourth pregnancy and I have noticed them earlier w/each one. They started for me this time a couple weeks ago, around 13 weeks or so. Nothing to worry about.

#15 ·
Ellymay, I know you've had a lot of stress lately. I think I notice my BH contractions more when I'm feeling stressed physically and/or emotionally. For me, actually, what really makes me notice them is bending over to pick stuff up off the floor - I actually sat on the floor in one spot and tidied around me yesterday because bending over was making them uncomfortable.

Having them for that long and them not going away would probably bother me, too. It might be a signal from your body to try to take a little time to really relax if at all possible - not easy I know - but even 10 minutes could help.

#16 ·
Yes I think it is def from just doing too much Sat night I spent over 3hrs completely
cleaning up my house and that did include some lifting then Sun I had to take all of
the boxes (storage boxes) out of the closet so I could get all of the Christmas stuff
out Mon I just wasn't able to sit for very long, Tues I went to help dd's class and was
on my feet for over an hr straight so I think I have just done way to much the past few days so I drank some water last night bc I havn't been drinking enough and layed
down and they got better and not as bothersome. I havn't had any today so hopefully
I won't be getting them as much but I am going to the dentist in an hour and that always stresses me so we'll see when I get back if they are still gone.

#19 ·
Just wanted to chime in and say, "Yep, BH." I'm on baby #5 and have been getting them earlier with each baby -- I'm expecting them to start up anytime now, as a matter of fact, and I'm 14 wks. now.

Hope you catch a break on stress soon; take care of yourself, mama!

Guin

#20 ·
Sounds like BH to me. Your uterus starts contracting very early, but it is rarely felt until later in the pregnancy. I started having BH around 18 or 20 weeks with DD. They continued through the whole thing. I expect I'll be feeling them in a few weeks now.

#21 ·
I agree with the PP- sounds a lot like BH. I had them starting early with my 2nd pg... somewhere around 15 weeks? I never noticed them with my first pg.

I haven't noticed any BH so far with this pregnancy so I'll be curious how that affects things down the road as last time I had a lot of prodromal labor and then only 4 hours of active labor.

#22 ·
Bothersome BHs are often a sign of dehydration and not getting enough rest. Try to keep the liquids up and take it easy as much as possible. Now's the time to get your posse helping you...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.