Birth Stories: the best way to learn about birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 9 Old 12-13-2005, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
 
flowmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In my first pregnancy I read birth stories voraciously and I really think that I learned more from those stories than from any other source. It was easy to see the trends in hospital vs. home vs. unassisted births, for example. I started picking up on patterns such as stalled labours due to interfering onlookers. I learned about all the scenarios that can occur - "normal", precipitous, posterior, etc. When I was birthing myself, I drew so much strength from remembering homebirth stories of atypical labours like mine (e.g. the prenatal class advice to "rest between contractions" was a joke for me . When I was suffering I reminded myself that there wasn't something wrong, it was just a "variation of normal".

Anyway, an awesome site for birth stories is this one because it includes (sometimes very graphic) photos of births that one can learn a lot from:

Birth Diaries (scroll down)

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
flowmom is offline  
#2 of 9 Old 12-13-2005, 11:13 PM
 
mamacatsbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Watchin' spooky action at a distance...
Posts: 4,641
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cool! I think I have this one book marked somewhere! Keep the excellent info comin' mama! BTW, that's an adorable pic of you guys.

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

 

  
 
mamacatsbaby is offline  
#3 of 9 Old 12-14-2005, 01:43 PM
 
waterbaby9503's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is good advice.
For me, a very important thing will be to remember that every odd pain, smell, or fluid is normal. No matter what it is, there is a 98% chance that it is exactly what my body needs to be doing for itself...and as for the 2%, that's why I'll have a knowledgeable midwife who can recognize that.
waterbaby9503 is offline  
#4 of 9 Old 12-14-2005, 02:55 PM
 
alexisyael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: in between the moon and you...
Posts: 4,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree, I think reading birth stories is the best thing! Thanks for the link!
alexisyael is offline  
#5 of 9 Old 12-14-2005, 03:18 PM
 
~*max*~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Where The Wild Things Are
Posts: 3,611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree too. I found Ina May Gaskin's birth stories to be the most powerful. I used her mantra, "labor is hard, it hurts, I can do it" throughout my labor - and I really think it helped.

Now, I wish there was a good tv show of all natural birth stories I could watch. I swear, "Birth Day" should be retitled "Cesarean Day". Even "House of Babies", although much better, irritates me. That head midwife is so bossy!

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
~*max*~ is offline  
#6 of 9 Old 12-14-2005, 03:49 PM
 
ILoveMySofie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: under the same sky (its sunny here)
Posts: 1,691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ksenia, i couldnt agree with you more. I am a birth story ADDICT. Ive learned more from reading birth stories than any books meant to prepare you for birth. It is beautiful how no two birth stories are alike, and its amazing just how much they can teach you. Whenever a first time mom-to-be asks me for advice, that is what i tell them-read birth stories!

Happy mama to my four girls S 8.15.02 , L 04.25.06 (gone at 36 weeks ) and L 3.10.07.And another rainbow! Baby C has arrived 10.26.10!
ILoveMySofie is offline  
#7 of 9 Old 12-15-2005, 10:02 AM
 
AnnieMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Africa
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ksenia - great website!!!!!! I just love reading birth stories. I feel i have learned so much more from them than from all the books i have read

ANNIE - Crunchy WAHM to 2 boys & baby girl born 12July08 ~From contentment with little comes happiness â African Proverb
AnnieMarie is offline  
#8 of 9 Old 12-19-2005, 11:55 PM
 
eorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with the pps here - birth stories have been a great source of inspiration and information for me, too. Thanks for all your great ideas and links, Ksenia. I just love reading your posts!
eorr is offline  
#9 of 9 Old 12-20-2005, 01:41 PM
 
brandonsmommy810's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is also another site that I have both of my boys birth stories posted on:

www.birthstories.com

Here is Brandon's story:
www.birthstories.com/stories/5629.htm

Here is Colin's:
www.birthstories.com/stories/5389.php
brandonsmommy810 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off