Mothering Forum banner

Flipping a breeched babe...

487 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  charmedgirlies 
#1 ·
Again with the breech stuff, but I am wondering who has been successful and how. I am 34 weeks and see my baby is still lying transverse. I see my perinatologist this Monday and if baby has not turned, then he has given me the choice of either an external version (at 38 wees)or a scheduled C-sec.

I have been to a chiropractor who does the Webster method and will see him once a week for the next month ($$!!). I have also been doing a few of the positions from the spinningbabies website. Still... stubborn little one hasn't budged.

Any advice???

See less See more
#3 ·
Two women in my childbirth class flipped breeches (one at 34-35 weeks, the other at over 38 weeks). They used a combination of:
1) Ironing board lying: lean an ironing board against the couch at a 30 degree angle; lie on your back, head closer toward the floor and feet closer to the couch seat, for 20-30 minutes, 2-3 times a day. My Bradley instructor also turned her last baby doing this--she said she could tell when the baby turned because there was all this crazy in utero chaos.
2) Moxibustion (a form of acupuncture that also uses herbs); apparently, the moxibustion practitioner in these parts claims a 90% success rate; if baby doesn't turn after the first treatment, he gives you the second at half price and the third free. I also read a study on moxibustion that placed the success rate at 70-85%, with the most successful being people who did it twice a day.

Sound is another thing to try. Have a soothing voice baby knows "talk" at the lower end of tummy (maybe while on the ironing board?); alternatively, use headphones to play loud, discordant music (heavy metal, etc.) near the baby's head to get him/her to turn away.

Good luck!

#4 ·
Even if your babe doesn't turn, it's not a definite reason to schedule a csec in advance. You can wait until you go into labor, check babe's position, and sign off on the csec then, if the babe is still breech. It's rare that they will decide to flip that late, but it's definitely possible. It might help you avoid unnecessary surgery.

I know you had a rough experience with your last pg, so I don't know if that is a factor in scheduling a csec. I just want to make sure that you don't think I'm being judgemental about a scheduled csec. I think that every woman should be able to choose the best way to birth her babe without undue pressure from biased care providers. If you think a scheduled csec is the way to go, then I hope it the best experience possible for you.

#5 ·
My babe was breech, flipped, and has flipped back. GRRRR. Especially since we are planning a home birth. My midwives suggest visualizations and talking to the baby "head down, chin to chest, back to belly (mother's, that is), and hands on heart". They cautioned me from doing anything drastic positioning wise, such as inverted postures, as they have encountered women who did this and had their babies die at around 38 weeks from cord compression. Basically, they've said drink a lot of water so babe has a good fluid supply to move in, do regular cat/cow yoga positions, walk, swim, and wait. No harm in accupuncture.

If we get to 36 weeks and he is still poorly positioned, our back OB will do a version.

In the meantime, I'm visualizing this baby and yours, head down!!!!

#6 ·
Thanks!! I have tried the ironing board position a few times but it makes my heartburn sooooo much worse. I am keeping up with the chiropractor doing the webster method and doing all the swimming, walkin and yoga that I can. sigh... I will see what the peri says on Monday. Thanks for all of the support ladies!

#7 ·
My little one has been transverse a few times (OUCH) - and midwife suggested I get on knees and then flop upper body on birth ball, letting hands hang over and just kind of gently roll. She said the transverse position is not very comfortable for baby either and sometimes they need help getting out of that position! Maybe just helping baby get out of that position will encourage head down!

Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.