Mothering Forum banner

Cervical twinges: Should I get an internal exam?

829 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  KatSG 
#1 ·
This is probably nothing to worry about. I talked about it with DH and I think it's nothing to worry about. But I may need a reality check.

Background: Love my MWs, but they've shown signs of being a little overly concerned, IMO, about a few things. Previa at 12 weeks that they said wouldn't move (it did), worried about my iron (yes, it's low, it was last time, too, we're working on it). Anyway, I don't want to give them anything more to worry about.

I've had lots of cervical cramping this pg. Had it last time, too. I've already shared this with them, in passing. On Sunday I had a very faint pink spot on my undies. Wouldn't even have noticed it but I was trying to decide if that pair of undies on the floor was clean or not.

I've tried to check my cervix myself but it's up really high and it's totally mushy. It's so mushy I can barely tell where the os is. There wasn't any blood on the cervix that I could tell.

I haven't had an internal this whole pregnancy; I refused when the MWs did their physical. I'm sure they think I have some issue with an internal, but I don't. I just refused it because of the complete previa (read that internals were contraindicated except in emergencies), and because I just didn't think it was neccesary. I also didn't have one last pg until I was well into labor and had been for a few hours.

So, I'm fine to not worry about the tiny spot of blood (and no, there had been no BD-ing, sadly) or the cervical cramping, right? Even if I have some dilation at 31 weeks, it means nothing bad for sure, right?

I just don't want to ask the MWs for an internal and find out I've got some little dilation and have them get all freaked out.

I truly think that since I have all the baby's things ready and we're just in the waiting game that I'm just looking for things to blow out of proportion.

See less See more
#3 ·
when you say cervical cramping do you mean like a sharp twinge kind of thing? Almost like when you have a pap smear? I asked my MW about this my last visit. I have been having it on and off for a little while. She said I may be starting to dialte a little. I dilate FOREVER before I go into labor. I am usually at about 3 for a month before I deliver. I would mention it to the MW just in case.

gretchen

#4 ·
i don't think i'd worry about it unless there was quite a bit of show. a little bit of dilation this early is not a huge problem. i've been having quite a bit of cervical "stretching" going on for the past couple weeks, but no show or increased mucus, and cervix is still high. i just try and relax a bit more throughout the day, try not to do more than i have to, and drink lots of water.

personally, i wouldn't ask for an internal exam, since internal exams push bacteria further up there, and if you *are* dilating, it would be best to keep the bacteria at a minimum/away from your cervix where it could creep up in between the bag of water and uterus and possibly cause infection.

#5 ·
If you are really worried about it, ask your MWs. If not don't. A little spotting doesn't sound bad especially if it wasn't really noticable at first. I had (what I felt was) serious bleeding early on and my OB didn't even think I needed to come in because it was so common. And of course he was right. But really, go with your instinct on it.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gnutter
when you say cervical cramping do you mean like a sharp twinge kind of thing? Almost like when you have a pap smear? I asked my MW about this my last visit. I have been having it on and off for a little while. She said I may be starting to dialte a little. I dilate FOREVER before I go into labor. I am usually at about 3 for a month before I deliver. I would mention it to the MW just in case.

gretchen
What she said! I was going to check myself today, but I talked myself out of it (boy, I sound like I have multiple personalities
) because I don't want any germies up there, like Andi said. Sex is it as far as anything going up there at this point.

When I stop and think about it though... I was 3cm when I was checked at 36 weeks with my first and I was 4cm at 37 weeks with my 2nd so it stands to reason I was dialating well before that. KWIM?

So for now, I'm continuing my routine and I'll mention it to my midwife when I see her but I don't see it as anything to be concerned about at this point.

#7 ·
Thanks, everyone. I think I'll just tell them I'm having little cervical cramps and your normal BH. I can't imagine that's going to send anyone into alarm. That's totally normal at this stage.

At this point all these things are starting to get torturous for me, though! I want to meet my baby! But I know it's far, far too early...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.