Mothering Forum banner

Opinions on this name?

535 views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  EmPaige 
#1 ·
We are stuck on names. For a boy, we have very few we're considering so I think that will be a little easier, but for a girl, well, UGH!

So I need opinions on this. My husband is attached to the name Phoebe. I think it is a lovely name and I've liked it since I was little. He's even started calling the nursery "Phoebe's Room." But here's my question. . .

Say it out loud with our last name. Phonetically, it's like this:
FEE bee - BEE bell

So what's your first reaction when you hear it? I'm not sure I'm getting honest feedback from my friends and family, so maybe I'll have better luck with relative strangers!

#3 ·
I love Phoebe however I'm not sure about how that's going to go in school etc. Phonetically speaking I mean. Could you have as her Middle name and call name but not necessarily the one that's going to get announced when she walks into a room/classroom etc.... I'm typing as I'm t hinking and don't want to be harsh but honest and I have trouble with that line sometimes. If you love it I say go with it and once elementary school is over it'll be fine. Besides I feel like if they turn 18 and they hate their name they can change it, and if they get to school and want to be called something else they will.

#6 ·
One of my bestfriends from college is named Phoebe. She just legally changed it to Lisa because she didn't like it after marrying a man with the last name Ferbe (said furbee). What about using it as a middle name to reach a compromise if you're still not liking it?

#12 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Last night I told DH I think we should remove it from the list. Every time I say it out loud or get someone else to it is followed by giggles. We also like Chloe, which seems similar to me, but not so awkward sounding. Ugh. I just don't know. And we only have 8ish weeks! ACK!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.