PKU Testing and Breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-20-2006, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK mamas, so I know that we will have this test done as the benefits seem to far outway the risks to me. The thing is, I've seen a few people say that they will wait until a few days after birth to get it done while working on establishing the nursing relationship. I've seen mamas say that the test is much more useful after the baby has started to nurse. Is this because then the test can accurately detect whether or not the baby is metabolizing the phenylalanines (sp?) in mama's milk? I've been trying to do some searches on MDC, LLL, and elsewhere and have not had much luck coming up with info in the way of answering this question. I will continue to look but if you ladies have any insights, links or whatnot, I'd be oh so appreciative! TIA!

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#2 of 5 Old 04-20-2006, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Until the baby has been feeding well on his food, the PKU test (and other tests that are rolled into the same blood draw) *cannot* detect with any reasonable accuracy whether the baby has any of the metabolic disorders they are testing for. The baby needs to have been feeding on his actual FOOD... not colostrum, because colostrum only lasts up to a week. The PKU test is absolutely useless until baby has been feeding on the mature milk that comes in between day 3 and 7.

They only do the test in the hospital before discharge "just in case" mother never brings baby back for another test. But the test is only accurate if given between day 7 and 10 (google it... I don't have sources handy). But they don't trust you to come back between day 7 and 10, so they do it at 24 hours even though it's not accurate... just so that they can say they obeyed the letter of the law and *did* the test. However, if your baby had a metabolic disorder it would never show up on a test done at only 24 hours old.
#3 of 5 Old 04-20-2006, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Ahhh... Thanks b e g. Off for more googling. Your insight has been quite helpful in helping me get a leg up on this!

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

#4 of 5 Old 04-20-2006, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not in your DDC, but wanted to respond. I work in a free standing birth center where all of our babies go home within 12 hours...obviously we're not doing the PKU screening before discharge We give the parents the lab slip and paperwork with the instruction to have the test done between day 4-7, *after* mama's milk has come in b/c the baby should be metabolizing milk prior to the screening. This is similar info to what a pp posted, though we don't recommend waiting quite as long.

Jessica, CNM placenta.gif+ DH geek.gif + sweet boy (4/06) jog.gif
#5 of 5 Old 04-20-2006, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Jessica! Tee-hee, that's so funny, I just got through lurking on the April board and I'm pretty sure you had posted on a post EDD thread. I came here and thought to myself "Hey, didn't I just see that siggie?"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page