What's everyone doing for EARTH DAY? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-21-2006, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH, DD, and I are going to the celebration @ our local lake/park. There's gonna be displays on solar energy, hybrids, and other enviro conscious things. Also some animals will be there for the children. Some that most ppl will know from this area like coyotes, redtailed hawks, kangaroo rats, etc. and some others you don't normally see. There's gonna be music and food too. It should be a nice time and dd will have a blast!

I really like to say EARTH DAY EVERYDAY! Cuz we try to help the Earth everyday, not just ONE day out of the year. Just by the the things we use in our home..products we buy, recycling, etc.

Anyways, anyone else celebrating the Earth tomorrow?
#2 of 11 Old 04-21-2006, 02:01 PM

I wish I felt like going to some of the things in Nashville. I will probably try to at least clean up our garden. It has rained all day here so the weeds should be easier to get up. Our homeschool group will be planting some things around the unitarian church Monday-they have been really nice about letting us use their building. Ds is building a raised plant bed out of recycled lumber to take up there.

mother, wife, sister, friend--step mom to one grown man and mommy to 3 boys-ages 19, 10 and 4
#3 of 11 Old 04-21-2006, 02:15 PM

What a great idea~ We are doing something with the Girl Scout troop on Monday~ This week they painted paper mache globes~ We are going to do some eco exploring on Monday~ I planted my garden this week & overdid it~

So we are just not tomorrow

Warmly,
Melissa
#4 of 11 Old 04-21-2006, 06:08 PM

I'm hoping to give birth.

Nothing special, but we do lots already like carpooling to go shopping for Organic food 30 minutes away and recycling, things like that. If the weather is nice, we'll go to a park or something maybe... or else just stay home in our backyard while I wallow in a lawnchair!
#5 of 11 Old 04-21-2006, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma

:

We'll be doing more of the same things we usually do. We already walk everywhere and try to be conservative with the amount of energy we use and the waste we produce. I can't wait till we can get a house with a yard and then it'll be all about the gardening! Mmmm, nothing like the taste of fresh fruits and veggies you grew yourself.

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#6 of 11 Old 04-21-2006, 08:55 PM

My monthly birth network meeting is Sunday and I chose the topic....Alternatives to Disposable Diapers (cloth and elimination communication)...to coincide with Earth Day!

We have two great speakers coming. One is a diaper-sewin' MDC mama and the other co-founded Diaper-Free Baby.

Hopefully I won't go into labor before Sunday because 1) I really want to hear the speakers and 2) I have to be there to unlock the room and set things up!
#7 of 11 Old 04-22-2006, 09:44 AM

Hopefully sewing cloth diapers all day while my older kids frolic outside!! does sewing the cloth diapers count? Well, hopefully the weather holds up and I can get outside to enjoy it when I'm done with a few....may pull some weeds out of my garden, but it's not planting time yet here!
#8 of 11 Old 04-22-2006, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatsbaby
:

We'll be doing more of the same things we usually do. We already walk everywhere and try to be conservative with the amount of energy we use and the waste we produce. I can't wait till we can get a house with a yard and then it'll be all about the gardening! Mmmm, nothing like the taste of fresh fruits and veggies you grew yourself.
OOooh, I wanna grow my own Organic strawberries. My parents' apple trees have TONS of blossoms right now, problem is getting the deer to leave them alone. I hope her berry plants produce this year, I'm dying for more fruit but Organic is soooo expensive and I hate to eat tons of the commercial. Someday we'll move out of town, our yard is too shaded and small for a garden unfortunately.
#9 of 11 Old 04-22-2006, 12:03 PM

Quote:
You & me both sista!

My kindergartener is very into Earth Day. In fact, as soon as he got up today he announced that it was Earth Day. (In my land of prodromal labor, I barely know what day of the week it is!) So, I'd like to do some things to foster his interest. We may take a walk and do a little neighborhood or playground clean up, lots of taking about taking care of the earth, and maybe draw some pictures. I am not mobile enough to partake in any big celebrations right now, and the weather here is not too great today. But we'll make the most of it.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#10 of 11 Old 04-22-2006, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
OOooh, I wanna grow my own Organic strawberries. My parents' apple trees have TONS of blossoms right now, problem is getting the deer to leave them alone. I hope her berry plants produce this year, I'm dying for more fruit but Organic is soooo expensive and I hate to eat tons of the commercial. Someday we'll move out of town, our yard is too shaded and small for a garden unfortunately.
Dangit Michelle, now I just gotta have some strawberries! You'd think organic wouldn't be as expensive. Last time I bought broccoli it was like $5 for a stalk. Needless to say, we can't afford organic all the time. At the house we lived in for a great deal of my life we had a garden with all kinds of stuff and an apple tree in the front yard, but no fence or anything, so people would walk by and pick all the apples off the tree!

My good friend called me this morning and LLL is having a conference around the corner from where we live where she has a table set up at and I think I'll mosey on over there and see her!

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#11 of 11 Old 04-22-2006, 01:53 PM

GESTATING!!! lol

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page