%#&^$)(#@&!!! Formula Companies! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 04-21-2006, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Grrr...I have avoided every opportunity to fill out any kind of "beginnings" package or free gift coupon....and yet, an ENTIRE FULL CAN of Formula arrived on my doorstep this morning.

I went to find the main office for Enfamil and chuck the can at them, with a hearty reminder that sending out this crap is against the decrees of World Health Organization.

:

Now, do I just throw it out or give it to a poor family?
#2 of 23 Old 04-21-2006, 05:14 PM

I would just write "Refused" on it in black marker and give it back to your postal worker. That's what I asked my mom to do when she received a complimentary CASE of formula (she bought some stuff from Motherhood for my sister).

I'm always tempted to write "Violation of WHO Code" underneath "Refused"--but I worry that I'll be targeted more if they get wind that I'm a pro-bfing mama. On the other hand...if they keep sending stuff, I'll just keep sending it back--might as well make 'em pay more postage.
#3 of 23 Old 04-21-2006, 05:34 PM

I dropped mine off at a shelter. Sometimes there are reasons (even if the reason is ignorance) why people need the stuff. Also, its not bad to give it to the food drive at local schools, especially ones that send them to third-world countries.

If I was starving I'd eat the stuff myself. Wouldn't give it to my baby unless I medically couldn't bf (and how often does that happen, lol) but it does have some nutritional value if you yourself are starving.

I dunno, I guess its that whole "starving in japan" thing from childhood. I hate wasting food, even if its not something I would feed my baby.

Of course, sending it back to them with a picture of you BFing and a note that says "No thanks, we're just fine here." is good also, hehehe.

Cindy + DH Paul = DS1 (4/26/06), DS2 (11/30/07), DD (12/20/10) & surprise 4th edition coming in April 2014.

Bradley Method Natural Childbirth Educator, Doula, and Breastfeeding Counselor

#4 of 23 Old 04-21-2006, 05:58 PM

If I ever got formula this time (which I won't because I haven't bought anything at Motherhood or been to a doctor/hospital ), I would send it back refused. Unfortunately, there seems to be very little support (and little interest in being supported as even LLL failed to stay in this county and my support group never grew beyong two friends and I) in breastfeeding around here and I am just not interested in propagating the use of formula.

It does feel like a waste, but considering what it is and how it's marketed I just won't do it.
#5 of 23 Old 04-21-2006, 06:04 PM

Have you also noticed that anytime you buy an infant product, a coupon for formula spits out? On one of my 1st visits to the OB when I was about 10 weeks, I was given a congratulatory kit that contained formula. I gave it back to the receptionist and said "no thanks!" you should have seen the look I was given. They are like cigarrette companies or fast food, they jsut keep pushing it at you and you're supposed to be thankful?
I received a whole can in the mail also and donated it to a women's shelter. Realizing that not everyone is educated enough or able to breastfeed and for that I am thankful.
#6 of 23 Old 04-21-2006, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalmama
Grrr...I have avoided every opportunity to fill out any kind of "beginnings" package or free gift coupon....and yet, an ENTIRE FULL CAN of Formula arrived on my doorstep this morning.

I went to find the main office for Enfamil and chuck the can at them, with a hearty reminder that sending out this crap is against the decrees of World Health Organization.

:

Now, do I just throw it out or give it to a poor family?
Did you buy anything at Motherhood Maternity? They are notorious for selling customer info to formula companies.
#7 of 23 Old 04-21-2006, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammrat
They are like cigarrette companies or fast food, they jsut keep pushing it at you and you're supposed to be thankful?

Exactly.

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#8 of 23 Old 04-21-2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82
Did you buy anything at Motherhood Maternity? They are notorious for selling customer info to formula companies.
Ugh. That's so creepy... :

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

#9 of 23 Old 04-21-2006, 09:13 PM

oh, wonderful...i bought a bra from motherhood...

i haven't seen a doc/midwife/any medical professional this pregnancy, so if i get formula in the mail, i guess i'll know who to blame..and i think i'll take it to their store and tell them to deal with it, and to take my name out of their database.

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!
#10 of 23 Old 04-21-2006, 10:06 PM

I have been know to use it on my trees It makes a great fertilizer & I at least know that there are not toxins going in the environment like regular fertilizer

Just another idea!

Warmly,
Melissa
#11 of 23 Old 04-21-2006, 10:25 PM

:Puke

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

#12 of 23 Old 04-21-2006, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I did buy something at Motherhood...

I am going to write them and give them a piece...

I am having a homebirth, but am also seeing a peri-

and after our ultrasound the other day, they offered me an enfamil card so I could get "free stuff" for my baby. I VERY loudly so the entire waiting room could hear me said, " I AM BREASTFEEDING MY BABY. I DON'T NEED OR WANT ANYTHING THAT A FORMULA COMPANY WILL BE SENDING ME.But thanks for asking."
#13 of 23 Old 04-21-2006, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalmama
and after our ultrasound the other day, they offered me an enfamil card so I could get "free stuff" for my baby. I VERY loudly so the entire waiting room could hear me said, " I AM BREASTFEEDING MY BABY. I DON'T NEED OR WANT ANYTHING THAT A FORMULA COMPANY WILL BE SENDING ME.But thanks for asking."

:

That's so awesome!

#14 of 23 Old 04-21-2006, 11:50 PM

I could be wrong but when they ask you for your phone number, you are giving them permission to sell your address. I always (everywhere) refuse to give my phone number and zip code and so far I have not received any coupons or formula or anything in the mail.

Am I right?
#15 of 23 Old 04-22-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleybcat
I could be wrong but when they ask you for your phone number, you are giving them permission to sell your address. I always (everywhere) refuse to give my phone number and zip code and so far I have not received any coupons or formula or anything in the mail.

Am I right?
Yeah...do NOT give ANY baby/maternity stores ANY personal information. I almost got into a knock-down drag-out fight with a woman at Motherhood (I didn't want to go there, but MIL offered to take me shopping for a dress that I needed for a wedding 2 days later, and this was the only store open in her area). She insisted that I needed to provide my information to "in case of a return"; I informed her that I was wearing the dress in 2 days and wasn't going to return it and I asked to see a written return policy that said returns would only be processed if my info was on file. The only thing that stopped me from really getting into it with her was that MIL gave them HER info and clearly was uncomfortable w/ the whole situation. If I ever had to buy anything there myself, it would be cash only and absolutely no info given (though I'm sometimes tempted to make up a fake address just to cost them shipping $$).

I've actually heard of salespeople at those places refusing to sell to mamas who won't give their information. It's sick.
#16 of 23 Old 04-22-2006, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg
I've actually heard of salespeople at those places refusing to sell to mamas who won't give their information. It's sick.
Really? That's really sad, and yes, sick. :

#17 of 23 Old 04-22-2006, 01:47 PM

hi, im from june DDC but i can sure relate to this! we were getting formula in the mail because of a subscription (that was a gift) to a popular parenting magazing (not mothering)... ugh! like a case every two or three weeks, different brands. drove me crazy, until a friend of ours came by for a visit, a single father of a newborn. he was more than happy to take the ENORMOUS amount of forumla samples off of our hands... there are some folks out there who can really use this stuff (not me!). i say donate it .

yeah, and i always pay cash at the maternity stores, and i always refuse to give my info... i told the lady at motherhood that i didnt want free stuff and she said, "but they send you disposable diapers and formula samples!" and i said "oh, we dont need anything like that, thanks"... complete and total confusion on her part... i think she was imagining my future child running around bare bottomed and starving.
#18 of 23 Old 04-22-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhead
complete and total confusion on her part... i think she was imagining my future child running around bare bottomed and starving.
#19 of 23 Old 04-22-2006, 04:22 PM

An AP store that I shopped at in a nearby city offerend a discount to mamas who turned over ALL of the formula they'd received to be donated to a shelter for new mothers with AIDS. I know it's controversial (some think they should still BF), but it's the best group I can think of to donate formula to!

Brackin, mom to DD (10/02), DS (5/06) and DS (12/09) jumpers.gif
#20 of 23 Old 04-22-2006, 04:52 PM

I went to Motherhood, but they asked me if I wanted free coupons and I said no. So far I have not gotten anything from them and it has been months. If I do get free formula from some place, I'll just give it to a gay couple I know that has twin infant boys. I hate seeing anything go to waste when I know someone will use it.
#21 of 23 Old 04-22-2006, 04:53 PM

I wrote "WE BREASTFEED - RETURN TO SENDER" on mine. it IS annoying.
#22 of 23 Old 04-24-2006, 12:12 PM

Last time I went to Motherhood, to buy those anti-nausea preggie pops(anyone know of somewhere else to buy these? I would love to patronize another vendor), and they asked me for my info I dove into an emotional monologue about how I have issues giving out my info because of an abusive ex who would stalk me... She quickly said "that's alright. Four-fifty, please".
I had fun with it. I was the only one in the store, and the clerk was an older lady.
#23 of 23 Old 04-24-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbaby9503
Last time I went to Motherhood, to buy those anti-nausea preggie pops(anyone know of somewhere else to buy these? I would love to patronize another vendor), and they asked me for my info I dove into an emotional monologue about how I have issues giving out my info because of an abusive ex who would stalk me... She quickly said "that's alright. Four-fifty, please".
I had fun with it. I was the only one in the store, and the clerk was an older lady.

:

That is too funny!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page