RIDICULOUS thoughts?!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 04-23-2006, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oy vey.

I have been reading all these wonderful birth announcements, and I'm all choked up. We're having our babies!!!

And then, these ridiculous thoughts come into my head...I don't actually believe them, but for a moment I think them anyway...

such as...what if my baby never comes out? what if I'm not even pregnant, and I'm just delusional? (I said this to DP last night, right as the baby kicked him real hard...he just raised an eyebrow at me and shook his head ).

what if we're actually having a girl (after three ultrasounds that said boy...although it was DP who brought this one up, since we both kept dreaming about a girl)...

what if I ca n't nurse? (after successfully nursing three babies, and helping hundreds upon hundreds of women to nurse theirs).

These are all patently absurd things to think, and nonetheless for five seconds or so they float into my head.

I guess,even after three kids, even after helping many women in labor, I still haven't been able to really wrap my head around the fact that there is a BABY in there, and that it is going to come out very very soon. :

I am such a dork. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 04-23-2006, 03:05 PM
LBW

I often have the "what if I'm not pregnant?" thoughts. I think I took about 10 pregnancy tests and I still fully believed the MW would tell me I wasn't pregnant. It still crosses my mind every now and then even though I've had a bazillion ultrasounds.

I also think about driving myself to the hospital. As if, somehow, my husband, parents, & sister will all mysteriously be unavailable at the same time.

Every now and then I panic that I'll forget how to swaddle or give a bath.

All ridiculous, I know.
#3 of 18 Old 04-23-2006, 03:18 PM

Right now I think 90% of my thoughts are ridiculous!

I started to type up some of those thoughts and they are even more ridiculous in writing, so never mind!
#4 of 18 Old 04-23-2006, 03:40 PM

I have gone through a long phase of ridiculous thoughts...some were straight-up bizarre, others were very scary. I posted about it here and got a lot of responses so it must be at least a little bit normal. I remember with my first, I had especially ridiculous thoughts like "my body is not going to make milk, ever" and "he's head-down now but he'll probably turn at the last minute and I'll push for three hours before they realize it" and stuff like that. of course none of those things actually happened but it was bothersome.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#5 of 18 Old 04-23-2006, 05:18 PM

Risiculous thoughts are fun, aren't they? Oy. Yeah, I just had the "what if there really isn't a baby in there" fleeting thought today. Which is BEYOND crazy, b/c I can actually make out body parts as he moves around in there (yup, that's a foot up by my ribs. Whee!)

Anyway, I can totally relate...
#6 of 18 Old 04-23-2006, 07:19 PM

I have not had any what if i am not pregnant thoughts - I have a foot stuck in my ribs to remind me CONSTANTLY!
#7 of 18 Old 04-23-2006, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma
Right now I think 90% of my thoughts are ridiculous!

I started to type up some of those thoughts and they are even more ridiculous in writing, so never mind!
:

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#8 of 18 Old 04-23-2006, 09:39 PM

hm, ridiculous thoughts:

1) What if I don't like the baby?
2) What if I hate being a mother?
3) What if MIL drives me insane and I manage to terminally piss her off? (This is a real possibility at this point)

I am so ready to crawl into a corner and stay there until this baby is born. I am so sick and tired of people. My cousin in coming to help out: totally don't want her to. Semester starts in another week: don't want to think about it. I think all my crazy thoughts are just a displacment activity for wanting to hide in a dark corner and not being able to.

I keep reminding myself that I have it pretty easy, that plenty of women are still working full time at this point and/or have other kids, but I am just really really really tired of having to take care of things. I am so on edge. I seriously think if I could just relax and not have to deal with people and stuff I'd stop having crazy thoughts.

I can't wait til my midwife appt in two days though. Really would like to be albe to talk to someone who knows how to handle the craziness. I just got back from spending a weekend with Dh and MIL and MIL spent about 80% of it analyzing everything I said or did and drove me freaking insane.
#9 of 18 Old 04-23-2006, 10:06 PM

I'll jump on the "What if I'm not really pregnant, and, in fact, just ate too many burritos?" bandwagon.

Let me also add:

What if my DH doesn't like the baby?
What if I REALLY SUCK as a mom?

and the ever popular: What if I forget the baby somewhere? you know, like my car keys....

Cindy + DH Paul = DS1 (4/26/06), DS2 (11/30/07), DD (12/20/10) & surprise 4th edition coming in April 2014.

Bradley Method Natural Childbirth Educator, Doula, and Breastfeeding Counselor

#10 of 18 Old 04-24-2006, 12:26 AM

Oh, how about this one: What if the baby really does try to come out through my bellybutton??

And a question: were all of us who occasionally have that "What if I'm not really pregnant" doubt in our mind long-term TTCers? (I know at least a few of us were). I think that's where my occasional doubt comes from... it just took so long to get pregnant, I can't believe my good fortune sometimes!
#11 of 18 Old 04-24-2006, 01:33 AM

Mine happened on the first ttc which is why I was convinced I was reading tests 1-6 wrong. Just never ever thought I would be that lucky... I've always had screwy medical things...

Cindy + DH Paul = DS1 (4/26/06), DS2 (11/30/07), DD (12/20/10) & surprise 4th edition coming in April 2014.

Bradley Method Natural Childbirth Educator, Doula, and Breastfeeding Counselor

#12 of 18 Old 04-24-2006, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCaz

and the ever popular: What if I forget the baby somewhere? you know, like my car keys....
Hey, that one's not all that ridiculous. I am terrified that I'll do that, just as I was with ds when he was tiny. Once I had to follow my dh to the shop to get his car worked on. He had ds in the car with him. I was a little ways behind him, so he got there and parked and was walking through the door of the place (without ds!!!) by the time I got into the parking lot. He had completely forgotten ds was in the car! Man, that was scary. He just wasn't used to having ds with him in the car. It was a good thing I was right behind him, although I'm sure he would have remembered quickly enough.
#13 of 18 Old 04-24-2006, 05:57 AM

Good to hear I am not alone.
In the beginning I took 8 tests (all positive) and I still felt like a fraught at the OB's office...
I just got back from my baby shower and people had been very generous. What was I thinking: Wow, if we don't have a baby what are we going to do with the gifts?
I also have 2 'boy' ultrasounds but who knows. I am ready for a Katherine just in case. Or a puppy or a rapidly growing tumor. I figured it would get more real after the first but from OP maybe not?
#14 of 18 Old 04-24-2006, 06:13 AM

I have some pretty ridiculous thoughts, too (what if I don't like the baby, what if the baby doesn't like me or DH) but I also have some pretty darn scary ones. Those I won't post, because negative stuff like that just does not need to be spread around to other people.

But, yeah, I can relate.
#15 of 18 Old 04-24-2006, 06:32 AM

Quote:
what if I'm not even pregnant, and I'm just delusional?
I'll be sitting on the couch wondering why I'm so full and uncomfortable...LOL a real head scratcher for about 5 minutes!
#16 of 18 Old 04-24-2006, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylizah
I have some pretty ridiculous thoughts, too (what if I don't like the baby, what if the baby doesn't like me or DH) but I also have some pretty darn scary ones. Those I won't post, because negative stuff like that just does not need to be spread around to other people.

But, yeah, I can relate.

I think we all have those scary thoughts. Everything's so emotionally charged that it just seems unstoppable.

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#17 of 18 Old 04-24-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisyael
Oh, how about this one: What if the baby really does try to come out through my bellybutton??..
Mine has, on several occasions. I just poke his little feet/knees back in. Little bugger better turn anterior soon.
#18 of 18 Old 04-24-2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatsbaby

I think we all have those scary thoughts. Everything's so emotionally charged that it just seems unstoppable.
And this can happen after baby's born too.
Kind of on this topic, everyone hears about PPD, but there's not much mention of PPOCD. Post-partum-obsessive-compulsive-disorder.
It is pretty common for some mothers to have very disturbing thoughts, dreams, or visuals after their baby is born - where you picture something terrible happening and then cannot stop the thought from running through your mind.
It is scary, but it does NOT mean you are crazy and does NOT mean you are a bad mother or anything like that...and I am just going to mention it now because there will probably be at least one of us experiencing it in the next few months.

http://www.pregnancy-info.net/postpa..._disorder.html

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page