Nursing Mamas - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-04-2006, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How are you doing?

DS decided to start nursing a ton now , he even nursed to sleep yesterday for nap time, something he hasn't done since about 10 weeks into this pregnancy! It really hurts, and I'm biting the pillow through it hoping that it's just a temporary reaction to my body getting last minute preparations going for birth. Anyone else?
#2 of 9 Old 05-04-2006, 03:21 PM

My DD has been nursing throughout this pregnancy "as usual" with very little (if any discomfort) for me. But, this last week she's been less "into it". I think the fact that there isn't much there and it's just colostrum has been encouraging her not to nurse as much - which is fine with me because it's hard to get comfortable with my big belly.

I bet as soon as the baby gets here (and the milk comes it) she'll be in HEAVEN!
#3 of 9 Old 05-04-2006, 03:23 PM

Hi Anita,

Ds has been nursing tons in my third trimester. He is now nursing about 2 hours per day and I hear a bit of swallowing so there's something there.

My nipples get sore, but I've realized that there actually have been two changes during PG that have contributed to that:
- more nipple sensitivity (obviously) and
- ds' latch has gotten lazy because of the reduced milk flow (started noticing teethmarks on my areola near the nipple)

I've realized that I actually have to discuss latch with ds regularly and it helps a bit. Try asking your nursling to open wide and stick out their tongue, try saying "gentle nursing", try saying "no teeth", try repositioning. I've found that my ds will try to work with me to make it comfortable for both of us, though it's not perfect. Ds never had latch issues before my PG so it came as a bit of a surprise.

Since Monday I've also noticed that nursing sometimes triggers light crampy contractions but my EDD is May 11 so that's not too surprising.

From what I've heard, usually pain while nursing the toddler goes away once your mature milk comes in after the baby is born.

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

#4 of 9 Old 05-04-2006, 04:05 PM

My DD (22 mos) is nursing A LOT more in the last couple of weeks. She has been like a newborn...she wants to nap with the nipple in her mouth and if I try to pry my nipple out of her mouth and she screams and cries!

She's also been asking to nurse during the night recently (we night-weaned in my first trimester).

And she's been needing me CONSTANTLY. Like even in our house...if I go to the bathroom she wants to be on my lap or stand next to me and hold my hand. Fun...fun.

I'm trying really hard to be extra patient with her and give her all the attention and nursing that she's needing but it's hard. I'm finding myself feeling touched out a lot.

Oh and I'm getting crampy when she nurses too...but I'm happy about that. I'm "due" tomorrow and I am SO READY to meet this babe!!!!
#5 of 9 Old 05-04-2006, 10:29 PM

Ds is finally over his nursing like a newborn stage, thank God! He's still nursing a lot though and my milkies are sore!!! I'm hoping things will be better once the baby is here and she doesn't have latch problems like ds. I just really don't want to deal with cracked bleeding nipples again!
#6 of 9 Old 05-05-2006, 12:15 AM

Hi nursing mamas!
DD's nursing is starting to really irritate me again. It felt temporarily better when colostrum first came in, but now, once again, I can hardly bear more than a couple of minutes. Changing hormones in the last stage of preg??

Brackin, mom to DD (10/02), DS (5/06) and DS (12/09) jumpers.gif
#7 of 9 Old 05-05-2006, 12:49 AM

Quote:
DD's nursing is starting to really irritate me again. It felt temporarily better when colostrum first came in, but now, once again, I can hardly bear more than a couple of minutes. Changing hormones in the last stage of preg??
I definitely feel like that's happening here. We've been blaming DD's crazy increase in temper tantrums on my hormones too! (Of course it could also be the fact that she'll be two next month!! )
#8 of 9 Old 05-05-2006, 02:36 AM

My DD has also started nursing a lot more. AND she's been having horrible temper tantrums at night and first thing in the morning. She's super cranky all the time. I think she knows something is happening soon, she just can't quite comprehend it.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#9 of 9 Old 05-05-2006, 04:21 AM

I feel your pain as I have nursed my toddler this entire pregnancy. What helped for me the most was making sure he had a proper latch. He was getting really lazy for awhile. I would stop him and make him open his mouth nice and wide. It's so much easier communicating with a toddler because they are eager to please!

The one thing that is really grossing me out is the poop. I have lots of colostrum which is a natural laxative and the past few days DS has had some nasty ones. I read in a book (Adventures in Tandem Nursing, I think?) that that is normal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page