toothache and freaking out - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-06-2006, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It is almost 5am, and I have been sitting in my bed with an ice pack on my face for almost 5 hours...

I have had this bad cavity for a couple months now, and I was stupid to ignore it. I am really afriad to get any dental work done while pregnant, and it hasn't hurt at all.

Well, I woke up at midnight in terrible pain. Obviously, my cavity has become something else. I am sure it sounds whiney to be this upset about a toothache, but I have a pretty high pain threshhold and I would call this an 8 out of 10 type pain.

I am due on Sunday though. I can't even think straight right now. I will call the midwife around 7am I guess and ask her opinion. Right? Is that weird?
#2 of 6 Old 05-06-2006, 09:47 AM

Definately call your midwife & then your dentist. If it has abcessed, or become infected in any way, it can be of concern to your health & baby's. I am sure there are ways the dentist can help you that are safe. Good luck & let us know how you make out.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#3 of 6 Old 05-06-2006, 02:54 PM

Definately call! The last thing you want is to be miserable and trying to adjust to life with a new baby. You also don't want the infection to spread!

I know completely how you feel about any dental work during pregnancy. I'm the same way. I also let something minor slip by because I was waiting until baby arrived. In February it became abcessed and infected and I was awake in pain for days straight. I ended up going to the dentist and got stuck with vicoden to sleep and penicillin for the infection, and then a partial root canal to remove the cavity. I was so upset. Nothing homeopathic, natural or even OTC would help at all. I have to go back a few weeks after baby is born to complete my root canal (have temp filling on it now) since he only did the absolute minimum to relieve pain while pregnant.
#4 of 6 Old 05-06-2006, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

I called the midwife and she told me that I needed to get the tooth taken care ASAP. I was able to find a dentist that was able to see me right away. That's the good news.

The bed news is that I needed TWO!! root cannals and was in the dentist's chair for almost 2 uncomfortable hours. And my face really hurts even though he put shot after shot of novicaine in my mouth. And it set us back $4k after the crowns are in. I am so over-the-moon upset about it because we have been saving really hard for me to stay home this year.

I know it is just money and a few days of pain, but I am so tired and achey that I am really having a pity party.
#5 of 6 Old 05-06-2006, 10:13 PM

I've been in the process of getting my first root canal this past month. I was putting things off when nursing, then I got pg again, etc. Finally a month ago, I decided to go in. Not good. Luckily, I have just had novacaine and it's been fine. I get the crown this Wed. since my dentist is nice enough to finish it for me before the baby. She said that she didn't want it to be killing me with pain while I was in labor or at home with a newborn. It really stinks, though.

Hope you get it all taken care of.
#6 of 6 Old 05-07-2006, 01:41 AM

Ouch. You poor thing - I hope it heals quickly. I know my dentist adventures set us back about $2600 which was totally unexpected and just added to the pain of the tooth. Glad you got it taken care of though.

Get lots of rest and heal quickly!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page