Baby's name gets weird response from people - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Change the name or keep it?
Keep the name. The rest of the world will recognize it as a first name 47 88.68%
Swap the name and just go with Johann Duncan 3 5.66%
Change the first name completely 0 0%
Be bold and call him Krispy 3 5.66%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2006, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Should I change it?
I was planning on naming my son Duncan Johann.
I thought of Duncan because of my favorite author: John Irving. In one of his novels there are two sons. One is Duncan, the other one is Walt.
Looking it up on the net, Duncan seems to be British or Scottish and mean 'spirited warrior'.
I liked that it wasn't too common, but also not too weird.
Johann is after my sweet grandpa Johann.
But living in San Antonio, people hear Duncan and immediately think of the basketball team, the Spurs, and the player Tim Duncan. People not interested in sports respond with: Dunkin Donuts.
It's starting to piss me off. Duncan is not that weird of a name. I could understand it if we named him 'Krispy' (Oh like Krispy Kream!).
I don't want my kid growing up as a donut.
With only a few weeks to go, should I change it? Should I swap the names and let everybody deal with a foreign name (Johann)? Johann Duncan? Should I just ignore it and let little Duncan make his own impression/association in regards to his name?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2006, 10:31 AM

There are always going to be people who hate the name you choose. Go with what you like and don't worry about everyone else. My family didn't like most of the names we initially chose for our crew, so I would choose something else. By number 3, I quit telling anyone names until they were born.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
Old 05-06-2006, 10:48 AM

(Saw this in New Posts)

Keep it! I love John Irving too, and I really like the name Duncan.

We got weird responses when we told people dd's name: Taryn.

"Oh - you mean like tearin' the house apart? Haha"
"No more like tearin' a new one in those people that give her a hard time about her name."
Old 05-06-2006, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Duncan seems like a fine name and I've found folks are tolerant of unusual middle names.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:51 AM

The Red Sox got a new center fielder this yr. His name is Coco Crisp.

Go with your heart.

If you wanted to be really safe, you could use the English version of Johann, John, and call him John Duncan. That sounds pretty nice.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:52 AM

Old 05-06-2006, 10:55 AM

Duncan is a lovely name. Besides, who cares what anyone thinks! There is always someone with an opinion...
Old 05-06-2006, 11:01 AM

I used to baby-sit a little boy named Duncan when I was a teen and he was the coolest boy with some uber cool parents so i love it and it has great association for me. Who cares what anyone else thinks!
Old 05-06-2006, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaryLLL
If you wanted to be really safe, you could use the English version of Johann, John, and call him John Duncan. That sounds pretty nice.
The 'Johann' is not negotiable. That's my grandpa's name and it stays. It's the Duncan that seems to bother folks.

But Duncan it is. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:34 AM

Keep it! It's a lovely name! People will find something to say about every name. My kids: DD1: Hava (all short "a", rhymes with lava, like from a volcano) responses: hava nice day, or like "hot lava?" or but you aren't Jewish, so how can you use that name:

Twins: Gage and Zoe: But they don't "go together" and Gage, like a 12 gauge gun? and Zoe, but you forgot the "y" so it's really Zoe (rhymes with Joe)

anyway, people will say anything about any name!

And FWIW, I was at Wake Forest with Tim Duncan, and he was a LOVELY person: smart, funny, kind, dedicated...not a bad association in my experience .

"We think we're gliding down the highway when in fact we're slip sliding away." Paul Simon
DD-7 & B-G twins, 5
Old 05-06-2006, 11:50 AM

I vote to keep the name. I know a wonderful guy named Duncan, your son will make the name his own!
Old 05-06-2006, 11:56 AM

Be bold anc call him krispy thanks for the chuckle!

I like the name Duncan. It's a strong, masculine name - I think Duncan Forbes when I hear it - NOT dunkin donuts!
Old 05-06-2006, 12:07 PM

That's so weird--it's not like Duncan is such an unusual name (I mean, it's not like John or Mike, but it's also not Zigfried or Moondust). Go with what you like. People are nuts. and to the naysayers.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:15 PM

I found out when pregnant with ds that people are quite rude (and over-step their boundaries) when it comes to the name YOU chose for YOUR child. We named our son Damien and we kept getting "Don't name him that...haven't you seen 'The Omen'..."
It's like WTF? Name your child what you want I love that name...
Now that he actually has that name, no one has mentioned that to me again. It fits him perfectly!

In love with Dh since 1998. We created Ds (7.1.03), Dd (10.16.06) and Dd (3.16.09).
Old 05-06-2006, 12:41 PM

Not in your DDC, but wanted to respond.

I voted for you to call him krispy because it made my pregnant self laugh so hard I was crying. However, I think you should leave his name the same.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
Old 05-06-2006, 12:48 PM

Well, I am obviously biased (see my sig), but I love the name! I found a ton of people making the Dunkin Donuts comments when I told them what we were planning on naming ds. However, since he's been born there have been zero comments. Not a single person has called him Dunkin Donuts or anything else. So name him what you like and don't worry about it!

Honestly, this is why we've decided to keep our name picks to ourselves until the baby is here. It's irritated a lot of people, but I just really don't care. People feel free to make their comments while you're still pg, but once that's actually the baby's name most of the time they gain a little tact.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:00 PM

I voted Be Bold And Name Him Krispy but seriously... keep the name. I've looked at your siggie a million times and never once though of donuts.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:29 PM

Duncan is a gorgeous name...and I love John Irving too! Stick with it and who cares what people say.

As a couple, we're a french-irish-italian mix naming our daughter Rosa. A few people have made weird comments ("Oh, that's our housekeepers name" followed by a nervous giggle) but I've really moved beyond it. Have you received any positive feedback? I try to focus on a nice guy I met at the store who replied "Rosa is a name that any little girl would love to have". Think about how much it means to you!
Old 05-06-2006, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I say keep the name as well. I love it, and I never made the Dunkin' Donuts association either.

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

Old 05-06-2006, 01:48 PM

The first thing I think of when I hear Duncan is the son in Garp, too! I adore John Irving. Go for it.

Kat - mama to Clara (9/29/03): & Iris (5/30/06)
Old 05-06-2006, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we changed it.

Duncan was the name picked out for our first one. someone wasn't undertanding what I was saying so finallaly in frustrations (how hard is Duncan?) I scream "Duncan, like Dunkin donuts" and that was it. my dh absolutely could not continue with that name. However if it had come down to it and I actually had had a boy I would have pushed for Duncan beause it got a much better response than Clavin. The association with Dunkin donuts didn't bother me a bit. Everyone will have thier associations :

for what its worth I think it is a great name and it is not that unusual. people will think of stupid stuff to go along with your kids name no matter what you name him. Name him what you love. You're the one who will be saying it million times

I had a girl. we went with Madeline Ophelia. if you think people have stuff to say about Duncan you should hear what they have to say about Ophelia.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 05-06-2006, 02:02 PM

Not in your DDC either, but I LOVE the name Duncan, I think you should definitely keep it
Old 05-06-2006, 02:04 PM

Keep it. Who cares what other ppl think. It's YOUR child, NOT theirs!

Old 05-06-2006, 02:53 PM

We always go through the same struggle, even with names that really aren't that weird (Max!). There will always be a handful of people, sometimes a BIG handful, who openly criticize your name choice. If it means something to you, I say use it. I personally am not crazy about the name Duncan, but for what it's worth, I didn't even think of Dunkin' Donuts until you mentioned it. And even though I'm not a huge fan of the name, I really really really appreciate that you have chosen something that has significance to you. Also I love Johann.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010

User Tag List