Anyone else in need of some nurturing right now? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-06-2006, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been feeling really cranky & miserable lately, w/the prodromal labor, false alarms, lack of sleep and overall discomfort. I am really trying to work on not being so short of patience w/my family, staying busy/productive & centered. So I decided I needed to nurture myself a little bit. I went online & bought some Lush haircare & bath products. Can't wait until they arrive! I have never tried them, but have heard great things about them. I am very tempted to buy some postpartum clothes, but have no idea what size I will be.

How about you? Anyone treating themselves to some extra nurturing? W/this being baby #4 for us, there is no special attention from friends or family by now, so I guess I am just feeling a little needy.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#2 of 9 Old 05-06-2006, 03:33 PM

Yeah, me too! I really really want to go shopping for postpartum clothes, but I don't feel like I can with the way sizing varies from brand to brand and such. I'll have to go shopping pretty soon after baby comes though. I haven't seen the Lush stuff, sounds luxurious though.

I got special attention from my mama friends a few weeks ago and it was heaven! And though we are broke, dh did some yard maintenance for others and is taking me out for an early Mother's day dinner at Olive Garden tonight (maybe it will put me into labor, if not I'll just be nice and swollen tomorrow ).

from me anyway.
#3 of 9 Old 05-06-2006, 04:15 PM

Oh, yes! Fortunately my neighbor friends are into nurturing, too, so I've got some friends to do this with. We're getting pedicures this afternoon while dh is taking my car to get its oil changed and go through the car wash.

I also got a great new haircut last week and color yesterday (it wasn't blonde enough--I need to feel like a hip mama again!--so she fixed it for me).

I bought a sample of yummy shampoo at the grocery store (Alba, I think I may be a convert) and found a really fluffy body scrunchy scrubber thing that hadn't been used yet (found it when I was manically cleaning out my linen closet yesterday!) and had a really great shower this AM, undisturbed thanks to dh! I also got a sample of some great Alba lotion at the store so I'm all lotioned up and smelling good.

I'm still feeling really good after the chiro appt the other day, too. In fact, it allowed dh and I to comfortably get some, um, "time together" since I'm not in constant pain anymore.

Last two weekends dh has cleaned up the yard--usually my job--and we can now enjoy our garden. I think this is probably the nicest thing he's done for me in ages.

And tonight we're going to a Cinco de Mayo party, where I will undoubtedly just watch a bunch of drunk people act stupid, but they're my friends and it should still be fun.

Kat - mama to Clara (9/29/03): & Iris (5/30/06)
#4 of 9 Old 05-06-2006, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Oh a haircut... that is a great idea. I am in desperate need!

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#5 of 9 Old 05-06-2006, 06:56 PM

I always go out at 36 weeks and buy a new top or two. That way, I am in no hurry to have the baby, because I want a chance to wear my new shirts more than once! LOL

Now I'm 39 1/2 weeks and I'm starting to get SO tired of being PG. Two friends came over yesterday-- one cleaned my kitchen and brought me stuff to make a belly cast, but I was too ill feeling to stand long enough to do that. She stayed for the morning and lunch, my other friend showed up just in time for lunch and stayed for the afternoon after the other left. The 2nd friend soaked my feet and scrubbed them with a salt scrub, gave me a pedicure and then a good leg massage... then she cleaned the kitchen again for good measure before she left.

I love my friends!

Still haven't done the belly cast yet, DH wouldn't get into last night. You'd think he'd be interested in rubbing my nekkid body with vaseline and then covering it with plaster gauze strips and then showering me off afterwards... LOL... he did watch Pride & Prejudice with me last night though... maybe we'll get the belly cast done tonight.
#6 of 9 Old 05-06-2006, 07:41 PM

i could definitely do with some extra nurturing right now...unfortunately, we're too broke (i'm gonna have to go back to my part-time job a couple weeks after babe is born ). dh works nights, so needs to sleep during the day and isn't really "available" to do much. my friends have busy schedules right now, so aren't really available, either.

i did manage to splurge on a couple skeins of yarn the other day. of course, by the time it gets here, i'll probably be too busy with the new little one to do anything with it!

dinner out sounds heavenly! so does a haircut...i'm way overdue for one of those. i'd really like to get my hands on some henna for my hair, too!

ah, well. such is life...

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!
#7 of 9 Old 05-06-2006, 08:34 PM

Actually I have done some things lately. I went out to dinner with a friend to a French bistro (it was her birthday present). I've also had a new haircut and a waxing . I gave myself a pedicure with great difficulty. I'm excited about wearing my adorable new nursing dress that I know I'll be able to wear even when roundish (it's stretchy).

But ya know, with a busy toddler in tow, it's really hard to get any rest. I can't always sleep when I want to or even sit down and have a cut of tea. So yes, I could use more nurturing. Dh is pretty high-maintenance often . This afternoon I was looking after ds while in the throes of uncomfortable cramps and back soreness while dh was having a nap ::sigh::. I had a really rough night last night but dh and ds hung out in bed playing this morning for so long that I couldn't even get an extra half hour or hour by myself before getting up.

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

#8 of 9 Old 05-06-2006, 08:41 PM

Ugh... I'm so miserable because I ate too much at Olive Garden. Maybe I can lure dh into the bedroom later if ds will let us, dd is spending the night at Grammy's house tonight.

I tell ya, if Olive Garden and sex don't get this baby out- well, I guess he or she is just not ready to evacuate the premises.
#9 of 9 Old 05-06-2006, 09:25 PM

Werkn on it...had to go back to school and there's stuff going on with DH's family, but in between all of that we're still walking in the park regularly and I got a massage week before last, with antoehr scheduled for next week.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page