Sweeping membranes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2006, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone had this done or know the pros and cons? My mw would like to do this tomorrow if I'm not yet in labor.

Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2006, 03:33 PM

I know what it is...it is where the doc runs a finger on the inside of the cervix to loosen the bag of waters away from the cervix....I have never
had it done. I was supposed to have it done today but I decided not to.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:36 PM

It is uncomfortable to painful. It can supposedly get labor going if you're "ready". But it can also mean crampier labor from the get-go. I had it done 3x with my first, would not do it again.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:41 PM

I had it done with Emma and Alayna, and would do it again. It did not hurt that bad for me, and it put me into labor within half an hour.

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
Old 05-08-2006, 06:17 PM

I had my membranes swept in my first pregnancy about every two days from halfway through my 41st week. I went 12 days post dates before I was induced medically for a fever so I had them swept about 5 times.

I think that it is supposed to increase the amount of prostaglandins that are in your cervix but I also think that only helps with effacement so if you are already thin I don't see the point. It can also increase your chances of ruptured membranes and if your baby wasn't ready to be out yet it may be forced out.

Mama to 3 lovely home learning, nature loving girls read.gif(10), fairy.gif(7), fly-by-nursing1.gif (3).

Old 05-08-2006, 06:54 PM

it does also increase your chance of infection....separating the membranes from the cervix creates a space for the bacteria that has now been pushed up closer to your cervix by the MW's hand to come in and colonize between the membranes and the cervix/wall of the uterus, which can cause infection/fever in the mother.

so...it may get labor started, it may not..it may be uncomfortable/painful, it may not...either way, it ups your infection risk.

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!
Old 05-08-2006, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would never allow sweeping of membranes. First of all, research indicates that sweeping membranes once at 38-40 weeks' gestation does not significantly increase the proportion of women who begin spontaneous labor within 7 days so there's no point in doing it anyway during that stage. Second, this puts you at a higher risk of infection, even if your MW is careful about hygiene. Third, this puts you at risk for having your membranes ruptured, which is not a good idea if you are not ready to go into labour. Henci Goer discusses the risks in detail in her book The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth.

What is the rush?? Are you over 42 weeks? If not, I really don't see any advantages to this procedure.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
Old 05-09-2006, 12:39 AM

I had it done with both pregnancies... With my first, it was just midly uncomfy to have it done and I went into active labor an hour later. This time, it was painful, but compared to the back/pelvic pain I had been having, no biggie, really! LOL (And it only hurts for a few seconds, really! At least for me!) I started having strong contrax an hour later, just like with DD, but then it stopped. So it didn't really do much this time around... I had them stripped on Tuesday and had DS on Saturday night... So it might have helped *some* but I thnk it worked better with DD...

Kerri

Wife to Kevin (8-1-98)
: Proud Momma to Katelyn (4-02), Calvin (4-06), and Ashley (7-08) :

User Tag List