"Life with Babe", week of 5/21 check in - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 05-23-2006, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Max - I'm sorry, that would be very hard to deal with at this time.

Re: Candex? Did you ever have upset stomach from this? I started treatment with it and am suspicious that it's causing some pain in the belly, but am not sure. It could be post c/s constipation too : a weird coincidence.

Marylizah - The way I learned best is to compare it to wrapping a burrito. I also have some cheater swaddlers for DH... like http://www.cozycocoon.com/cc.html this one. I have the third one down and bought it at naturalbabies.com and LOVE it. Wish I could afford more than one! I also have the one that you can buy at walmart that works well and even has instructions on the actual swaddler. Kind of like this one, but cheaper IIRC http://store.babycenter.com/product/...ts/7081?stage= . There's a $14 one on the bottom of this page http://www.babybellausa.com/swaddle.html .

Using very much less expensive receiving blankets, you can swaddle just as effectively. Here is a tutorial about swaddling that has pictures and an explanation of why it works (startle reflex, etc).

http://www.adviceforbaby.com/swaddling.htm

I'm not a sleep training type at all, so her advice about that is not something I'm into. I'm completely child led in nursing for, well, it's been 26 months with my toddler and I still nurse on demand (well it's request now with him). I guess my hope for you would be that swaddling could help your baby settle more quickly and sleep for longer periods of time.

Mamatoto.org has some videos of swaddling with a ribbon, as well as an article on reasons to swaddle and how it fits in with AP practices and safety, as well as where it fits in with babywearing.

I hate to ask a probably stupid question for MDC, but do you have a sling or other carrier for daytime? It makes the "must sleep on mama" phenomenon a lot easier when you have things to do if you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 45 Old 05-23-2006, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's so good to see how everyone's doing! Thing's are generally great here. I just love my little guy. DH is awesome with him. It's so sweet to see him holding Lil Milky and having 'man-to-man' talks with him.

nak

Glad to see all is going well Happypants! Yay Finn!

I wanna do more personals but I've got a grunty, squirmy baby on my lap.

I hope everyone is well.

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#33 of 45 Old 05-23-2006, 01:50 PM

Anita my DS LIVES in the sling *sigh* - he is just like his sister - refuses to be put down. Yay. Another high needs baby...: well, he is a little more mellow than she is - he never cries - but still, my back is friggin KILLING me. I bought a "rockin baby sling" from attachedtobaby.com and I love it.

Quote:
What are ways that you've gotten your babies to sleep that don't involve your boobs? DH asked me what I thought about pumping some so he could feed her sometimes too, but I'd like to put that off for as long as possible.
Sling! Also bouncing on an exercise ball. luckily DS rarely falls asleep nursing - I DO not want to be the human pacifier again like I was for DD. UGH.

L'lee - here is a GREAT website for baby brains and what you can do to stimulate them: http://www.zerotothree.org/brainwonders/parents.html

happypants so glad you and Finn are home and doing well! Hooray!!!

So does anyone else have a baby that wants to be held ALL the time??? I forgot how hard this newborn thing is. *sigh* The good thing is no PPD as of yet - I am taking my placenta capsules...hope they keep working!
#34 of 45 Old 05-24-2006, 12:42 AM

It's Day 5. This a.m. I got dressed and could zip a size 10 skirt.
Eden lost her umbilical stump yesterday... I found it loose between the diaper and diaper cover sometime in the evening.. dH was home from work but I don't remember if they'd all had supper yet.. the little dried up stump is still sitting on my bathroom counter.

I caught a pee in the sink today... but then 5 min after putting on the diaper she pooped in it. Way to go baby. Haha.

She weighed 7 lbs 7 oz today... so she's on the upswing (her lowest was 7 lbs 6 oz, a full 10%)

Oh, we slept through the night last night! Well, I'd sat in the recliner to nurse her sitting up one more time before laying down in bed. DH had been asleep 45 min to an hour already, and MIL went to bed when I sat in the recliner. I fell asleep almost immediately! I woke up a few times when Eden rooted, just latched her on to one side or the other and fell right back to sleep. MIL says she woke up once to potty and checked on us, Eden had my nip in her mouth but wasn't sucking. DH slept like a log, 11 p.m. to almost 7 a.m. and boy did he need it!

MIL and I went to WM today... I didn't find what I wanted and was much more tired than I thought I would be when we got home. Eden pooped while we were at WM so I had to change her there.. luckily the back bathroom looked freshly cleaned when we went in there. Cleaner than my bathroom at home probably.

DH worked Sunday, Monday and today... and he works tomorrow. He'll have accrued 40 hours in those 4 days. Then he'll be off Thurs-Sat. MIL will leave Thurs a.m. I have a postpartum doula coming on Sunday so DH can work again, then Monday he has to work but the kids and I will go with him (he's on staff at church and Monday is a huge churchwide picnic). Then Tuesday I have my postpartum doula coming back over. So I should be "covered" while he's at work. Wednesday a friend is taking my kids for the afternoon. So DH will get a full 40 hours that week too.

OH... he got a raise. We found out on the 16th and it was retroactive to May 1.

Maryliza-- my baby sleeps on my chest at night... during the day I've been able to put her down in the little Moses basket my MIL just gave me as a gift. I couldn't believe it when I lay her in it and she stayed asleep. That's a first for me. LOL I put her in the sling a lot-- like when I want to read MDC and type. I also have the blessing of having my older kids who help and are capable of holding the baby... and my MIL is here. I've never been home alone with them until today when my MIL needed to go to urgent care for a UTI. And that was after the 2yo and 4yo were down for nap, and my 7yo, 10yo and 12yo all just sat on couches and read the entire time she was gone (from like 2 to 4).

Luckylady-- if your back is killing you, you need to make sure your sling fits. Usually my back hurts if the baby is too low. Pull your baby up closer to your center of gravity, I like to put baby up on my chest so her weight is all above my waist. That helps a LOT.

Happypants-- sounds like home is treating you so well! I totally wouldn't worry about foremilk/hindmilk stuff. That theory was created by men studying corpse breasts and stuff, the newest research is totally changing what LCs have always believed about foremilk/hindmilk. It's really not what we had always been taught!

BBM-- we got a king size bed (with sheets!) from Freecycle! Then sold our queen at a garage sale for $75. I bought a king size mattress pad for $25 off Overstock.com and paid only $1 shipping. It's been the bomb! We usually have 4 in the bed, haven't had 5 yet as ds4 hasn't come to our bed yet since Eden was born.

L'lee-- right now we all just coo at her.
#35 of 45 Old 05-24-2006, 02:22 PM

Happypants, I just wanted to tell you your last post brought tears to my eyes. I am so happy you're home with Finn and getting to finally enjoy the everydayness of being a new mom. And I'm so incredibly in awe of you and your dedication to sticking with breastfeeding. You are a true inspiration!

Kat - mama to Clara (9/29/03): & Iris (5/30/06)
#36 of 45 Old 05-24-2006, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown eyed girls
Eden lost her umbilical stump yesterday... I found it loose between the diaper and diaper cover sometime in the evening.. dH was home from work but I don't remember if they'd all had supper yet.. the little dried up stump is still sitting on my bathroom counter.
Hee, hee!

Emerson just lost his stump last night while I was holding him over the sink for a poo, I didn't see it come out, but all of the sudden it was gone! Wish I'd seen it go flying! I found it, though, and it is still on our bathroom counter, too!

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#37 of 45 Old 05-24-2006, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'lee
Hee, hee!

Emerson just lost his stump last night while I was holding him over the sink for a poo, I didn't see it come out, but all of the sudden it was gone! Wish I'd seen it go flying! I found it, though, and it is still on our bathroom counter, too!
Dree lost her stump stump sometime during the night Monday night... it fell out of the bottom of her sleeper gown onto the dining room floor yesterday morning and ds brought it to me "What's this momma?".

Dh thought it was a piece of dried meat from pizza and almost threw it away last night. :
#38 of 45 Old 05-25-2006, 02:55 PM

Hi, everyone:

Queen + Twin is bigger than a King sized mattress! Except it's shorter - my DH is 6'5" so that matters to me, but . . .. We have 2 twins pushed together right now which is the same width as a king, b/c when we moved we couldn't afford to replace the AWFUL futon we had & so we borrowed these from my MIL. But I want either a king or a queen + twin from IKEA - I like FIRM matresses and I really like one of their wood-frame matresses (kind of like a box spring in the bottom of the matress in one piece) - a King is under $600, I think. So when we have any $ at al . . .

I still feel so lucky EVERY DAY that Ourbaby is NOT high-needs like my first son is. I love Smallboy just the way he is but I think I would be really, really stressed by a 2 yo and a newborn BOTH of that temperament. I kinda need to learn to respond better/faster to the much more polite cues of Ourbaby, though - and DS#1 is still SO demanding!

Dr. Sears says side-sleeping is fine for most babies. Personally, I agree & think tummy sleeping on a parent is probably fine, too, since there is a regulating effect on the baby's system of being next to the adult's breathing and beating heart. But each of us must decide what works for our babies.

As for me . . . I do not like tandem nursing. I didn't like nursing while pg either, but definitely was unwilling to wean against DS#1's will. I still don't want to do that, but especially not while he's mad at me/I'm frustrated with him. It just feels yucky to me to nurse both boys at once - I never could stand 'twiddling' and I think I just don't like having both breasts stimulated at once - it's too close to sexual or something (good thing I don't have twins!) One at a time nursing DS#1 is better, but still uncomfortable - toddler latch, teething, bad manners.

I am trying to let us both (all?) figure things out gradually - I feel bad because I think I'm not being very consistent - sometimes I let DS#1 nurse, sometimes I say no, sometimes I say later, sometimes I offer. Urgh. I'm frustrated. DS#1 does a fair amount of 'acting out' in a mild way when DH is around, but he's actually fairly manageable when it's just us & the baby - not sure if he feels safer w/daddy there or if it's just that he has ALWAYS taken as much adult attention as was available . . ..

DS#2 is really waking up to the world & that is fun! He's learning how to communicate more, looking more at us, etc.!

Happypants - there are preemie-sized diaper covers (or there were 2 yrs ago) and I've found that doublers are the right size to fit really well in NB covers - so folded they might work in preemie covers. Just a thought!

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#39 of 45 Old 05-26-2006, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydnee
I am thinking of you all everyday, wouldn't it be wonderful if we all lived close by and could get together??!!! Oh, to dream...
:

I'd love some IRL mama friends half as fabulous as you sassy lasses!

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#40 of 45 Old 05-26-2006, 11:08 AM

Thanks Brown eyed girls - I put him higher and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I think he will be living in it.

He sleeps GREAT at night! at least 3 hours and nurses and goes right back to sleep - my DD ddin't sleep like this til she was...3! LOL.

He also lost his stump.

And he SMILES at me already!!! My birthday was the 24th and that was the first time he actually smiled AT me - he looked right at me and smiled - twice. And then yesterday and even more this morning. I love it!!!

The hardest time I am having is with my DD - feeling guilty for not having as much time to spend with her - but I think just keeping DS in the sling will help - everytime I try to lay him down when he falls asleep he wakes up - I spent yesterdat very frustrated and holding him all day - he was awake basically from 9AM to 6PM with a few 30 minute naps here and there. This was how my DD was and I was about to freak out at the prospect of having 2 kids like that...but...I think the sling will solve that problem.

hmmmm - what else? Getting out of the house is amusing. It takes FOREVER. I braved Target and today we will go to a friends house for DD to play.
#41 of 45 Old 05-26-2006, 05:45 PM

Just had to share...Alayna slept from 9:30 pm until 2:30 am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lo l I felt sooo great, minus the Dolly Parton boobs!! And during the day she will take 2-3 hour naps in her crib, yay!! Or in the sling.. And on another positive note, I got into my size 8 shorts today!!!!!!!!! Ok, so there really tight, but I can button them!!!

Happypants- Yay for Finn!! What awesome news!!!

Marylizah- I hear ya, my weepy day was yesterday, I couldn't find any clothes that I could wear, because laundry hasn't been done in a coon's age, I had to get all 3 kids ready to go into town, and that took me 2.5 hours alone.

mamacatsbaby- Aww, don't you love to see your DH bonding with the babe??!!!

browneyedgirls- Yay for the size 10 skirt! That's one thing I love about the postpartum period, is trying your clothes on everyday to see if they fit!! (And then throwing them down in a fit of rage when they won't even go over your hips... )

Mamabeakely- Me too, DD#2 was a very high needs baby, so I was a little nervous this time around, but so far she is very mellow!!

Luckylady- Alayna has been so smiley since birth, but just this past week, has been REALLY smiling now, it's soooo sweet!!!

Well, have a wonderful Memorial weekend everyone!! It's going to be HOT here in Mn, like in the 90's!!!

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#42 of 45 Old 05-26-2006, 07:32 PM

Hey mamas... so a question for you. Both of my first two kiddos have innies, but dd2 has an outie. That's not a concern, is it? I need to Google umbilical hernias just to be sure, but that's a separate thing right?

I squeezed into a size 10 pair of stretch jeans today... not quite comfy but not any worse than maternity pants that don't fit right either. I have three weeks before I go for my fitting for my matron of honor dress, that will be interesting! Just as soon as I seem to plateau with the weight loss, I'm going to shop at the Gap outlet for a couple pairs of shorts/capris for this summer because the capris/shorts I have now are size 10 but seem to run a size small and I doubt I'll be able to wear them just yet.
#43 of 45 Old 05-27-2006, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma
Hey mamas... so a question for you. Both of my first two kiddos have innies, but dd2 has an outie. That's not a concern, is it? I need to Google umbilical hernias just to be sure, but that's a separate thing right?
Michelle, my boy is an outtie, too. Definitely not to be confused with an umbilical hernia-- according to my books the hernia is visible (it bulges out) when the baby cries or strains-- a plain old outie belly button isn't anything but cute!

Sydnee-- yay for babies that sleep for long stretches!

And yay in general for getting back into pre-pg clothes! I'm sitting here wearing my Gap jeans, size 10, proud as can be. They don't fit the way they used to, but they fit! And it's SUCH a nice change from maternity.

George has made some real progress the last few days-- thanks to swaddling and sleep positioners, he's napped for up to 45 minutes in his bassinett! We're also learning the side-lying latch and he's caught on really quickly. And yesterday we took an hour long walk with him in his stroller and he slept through the whole thing! This is pretty miraculous-- the first two times we tried the stroller he was awake and howling within 20 minutes. Nights are getting longer, too. Last night he cluster-nursed for three hours, then slept for four hours straight!

On the down side, my nipples are KILLING me, they are so sensitive. Clothing hurts them. Not wearing clothing hurts them. Showering hurts them. Sneezing hurts them. I am seriously praying that this passes soon (please reassure me, mamas, that I don't have to deal with this forever!). So far, this and the latch pain almost make me dread nursing...

And finally, we're going to see an osteopath this afternoon! Hopefully this will help with the gassiness (I'll keep you posted, mamacatsbaby, I know you have a gassy baby too!).

Have a wonderful day, ladies!
#44 of 45 Old 05-27-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylizah
Michelle, my boy is an outtie, too. Definitely not to be confused with an umbilical hernia-- according to my books the hernia is visible (it bulges out) when the baby cries or strains-- a plain old outie belly button isn't anything but cute!
Thanks! She screamed through her first bath last night and I didn't notice any bulging <sigh of relief>, BUT it still oozes a bit of blood every now and then.

Good luck with the osteopath!!

nak
#45 of 45 Old 05-27-2006, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylizah

Sydnee-- yay for babies that sleep for long stretches!

And yay in general for getting back into pre-pg clothes! I'm sitting here wearing my Gap jeans, size 10, proud as can be. They don't fit the way they used to, but they fit! And it's SUCH a nice change from maternity.

George has made some real progress the last few days-- thanks to swaddling and sleep positioners, he's napped for up to 45 minutes in his bassinett! We're also learning the side-lying latch and he's caught on really quickly. And yesterday we took an hour long walk with him in his stroller and he slept through the whole thing! This is pretty miraculous-- the first two times we tried the stroller he was awake and howling within 20 minutes. Nights are getting longer, too. Last night he cluster-nursed for three hours, then slept for four hours straight!

On the down side, my nipples are KILLING me, they are so sensitive. Clothing hurts them. Not wearing clothing hurts them. Showering hurts them. Sneezing hurts them. I am seriously praying that this passes soon (please reassure me, mamas, that I don't have to deal with this forever!). So far, this and the latch pain almost make me dread nursing...

And finally, we're going to see an osteopath this afternoon! Hopefully this will help with the gassiness (I'll keep you posted, mamacatsbaby, I know you have a gassy baby too!).

Have a wonderful day, ladies!
It will get better mama!!! Do you express milk and put it on your nipples after every feeding? This helped me drastically!!! It did much more good than Lansinoh did. Hang in there!!

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page