week of 6/5, "Life w/Babe" check in - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2006, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm glad to hear overactive letdown is such a common problem!
Busybusymomma- I hear ya! I *may* have had to do something similar lately...oh my it does look so goofy.
And when dh sees it spray like a foot away from my body when we were in the shower together: he was amazed. Wide eyes and everything. "Are you doing that on purpose?" LOL
I like phrase "I make milk. what's your superpower". It is so amazing we can make milk for our babies. Albeit, it's a little less amazing if you consider that I have been feeding, nurturing, and sustaining the babe in my womb since conception, and my body even knew how to give birth to it(cause *I* cognitively sure didn't know how!!). So it is a small wonder, really, that my body can make the perfect food for it's creation once Joshua is in my arms.
As for The Deed-I am glad I stopped spotting relatively quickly. We tried it at 3.5 wks and it went well. Going through the condoms pretty fast Sorry if that's TMI but d@mn I love my husband!
I'm getting close to being 6 wks pp and thinking about starting the mini-pill. Planned parenthood(NOT my favorite organization!) says on their website that both the pill and mini pill are safe while breastfeeding. I have read in LLL books that it is advised against since you can never really know all the small ways that even a minute amt of medicine could affect your babe. But...I also don't want #2 to arrive in 10 more months!
Any input on this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2006, 04:55 PM

Yeah... my 4 week old is a mini pill baby. Be very, very careful. You MUST take it at EXACTLY the same time EVERY SINGLE DAY!! 15 minutes one way or the other can make it ineffective.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

JayGee, unfortunately I am a hemmoroid expert. Here's what I use: a donut pillow to sit on is invaluable, lots of hot baths w/lavendar EO (aids healing), witch hazel compresses several times a day (in the beginning I used it after each bathroom trip), and cortizone cream (applied after witch hazel, same application amount). How far along PP are you? Mine got significantly better after about a week PP. A word of warning - they come and go, whenever there is any pushing/straining. So you might want to use a stool softener (Colace) for a while. Good luck. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
Old 06-07-2006, 11:28 PM

DTD - I'm barely a week postpartum, so it will be quite a while.

DH is home from work for 2 weeks and it's been incredibly helpful. Today my doula came over and it was nice to socialize with another human female.

What is up with this baby....every time I look at her it seems like she's gotten even cuter. She's just so very pretty, I can't stop staring. It's so nice to see DH with her, too. He has a really stressful job and often gets 2-3 hours a night if he's lucky. Lately he's been getting 6-7 hours of sleep a night and I can't believe what a difference its made. He's so much more laid-back, happy, energetic, and playful with the kids. He's done load after load of laundry, his most hated household chore. And the best part is the way he looks at our baby daughter. He's so completely in love with her; he can't look at her without melting into a big Daddy smile. I love it...usually he's so tired he can barely lift his eyelids, much less muster a smile.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
Old 06-08-2006, 05:45 PM

A quick check-in from us. We will be 6 weeks on Saturday. Doing very well. Up to 9 lbs! We were finally able to rid ourselves of thrush with both of us take Diflucan. Him for 2 weeks, me for one. BUT we have now hit colic. A combination of Gripe Water and gas drops has helped a bit. AND we were able to get completely to the breast, with daddy giving one bottle at midnight so I can get some rest!
Old 06-08-2006, 10:32 PM

marylizah - ask your ped about letting your baby tummy sleep. I had a friend whose baby had bad reflux and her baby slept on her tummy. My sister also had one child who refused to sleep on her back and her ped said let her sleep how she's comfortable - she was healthy weight, no other problems...

Doing well here - better. I had a touch of the baby blues but they have passed, thank goodness. Weston is doing great still - smiling and cooing now and he stays up now for a good 2 hours between napping during the day and sleeps all night. I already gave up and put him in bed with me so now I sleep even better.

The real challenge has been my DD. Yesterday was a terrible horrible rotten awful day. She had a friend over and they were SOOOOOOOOOO bad. Let's see - dumped bright PINK nailpolish in the tub - which I have yet to attempt to clean, colored on DD's walls with markers, mashed a banana into the carpet...and this little girl has all older brothers and sisters and has quite the sassy little mouth on her, which DD of course picks up too. I asked my DD to stop doing something 5 times and then I said exasperated at this point, "what did I JUST ask you?" She actually put her hands over her ears and said "I don't know cuz I don't have to listen to you."

It was the third spanking she has ever gotten in her life.: I felt like crap for spanking her but I had just HAD it with her rotten snotty attitude. And then to make matters WORSE she went into COMPLETE HYSTERICS in her room and would NOT calm down - so I grabbed her by the arm (I should have just left the room at this point) and shook her and yelled at her to STOP IT! Meanwhile DS is crying...ugh. I flew off the handle and I said "When you behave so nasty to me it makes me just want to give you away." The look on her face was awful - her rotten tude gone, hysterics stopped, she ran and hugged me and said "NO! I LOVE YOU!" I told her I didn't mean it - I love her too but her attitude is making me feel so sad and angry and frustrated...

ugh. What a mess. By the time DH got home I locked myself in the bathroom pretending to shower and cried cried cried.

I miss my DD. She was my pal.

That has been the hardest change about all of this - and it was the one change I didn't even think about.

whew - sorry for the novel. Today was MUCH better and we spent lots of nice time together and I managed to make it through the day without yelling at her. I feel like a crappy mommy.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:30 PM

Luckylady ~

My 2 have been grating on my nerves too, and I hate it
I miss my sweet little Teeny daughter. She has turned into a rebel in the past three days. I know she feels completely put out. I'm used to her brother acting this way, he's always been a handful but I can handle it because I'm used to him. They sort of balanced each other out. Now they are like partners in crime against me, or at least it feels that way. I hate yelling at them but sometimes that's what I find myself doing, followed by - like you said - locking myself up in another room. It's a tough transition, I hope it gets better for ya soon.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
Old 06-09-2006, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova22
Now they are like partners in crime against me, or at least it feels that way.
omg my kids do thsat too. :

Dree is sleep on my shoulder, need to leave house in 40min but can't get Dree to lay down long enough to let me shower or get dressed- or get dd1 and ds ready.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:08 AM

Oh Cheryl. I'm so sorry you had that experience.

I had a horrible day about a week and a half ago. It took me an hour and a half to get DD down for a nap. It ended up that we (me, DD and DS) were all sobbing. And I ended up getting physical with DD (I grabbed her and pulled her onto the bed and held her down and said JUST GO TO SLEEP!!! ).

Once I finally got her to sleep I called DH and told him I needed him to come home, which he did.

Once I had a little break and some food in me I thought about what happened and I realized that my expectations of DD have changed dramatically - and I hadn't really even considered that.

WHen I was pregnant...being a "good girl" meant snuggling up with mama, nursing and sleeping for 2+ hours with me.

Now that I have a newborn to care for I essentially want her to put herself down for a nap and just stay there so I can have time for myself (or time for DS).

I never even talked to her about these changes...just got mad at her that she was being so difficult. And I was so busy being mad at her that I could no longer see the beautiful child that she is.

Anyway...I've made some major changes. I'm kind of running things more like a day care now....sticking to a schedule, an actual nap time (we never had that before) and a routine to get her down.

I'm also handing DS off to DH (or my parents) more so that I can have special alone time with DD.

It's been amazing. I mean we are still having our challening moments but she is responding to the structure very well and there has been MUCH less crying/yelling.

Ok. My time is up. We have LLL today - yay! Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Oh and we had a nurse visit yesterday....DS is 11 pounds 3 ounces! (He was 8.8 at birth.) He's so much bigger than his sister was -- and she wasn't a small baby by any means.

Gotta go. Bye.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:08 PM

Wyatt was only up to nurse twice last night!!! I feel like I got so much sleep-I am so hoping this is a new permanent thing. He was awake so much yesterday looking around and happy to be awake-so maybe that just wore him out. After being so tired I was thrilled to get 5 hours solid sleep.

mother, wife, sister, friend--step mom to one grown man and mommy to 3 boys-ages 19, 10 and 4
Old 06-09-2006, 04:35 PM
ltk

Hi all, sorry to hear about all the challenges. It must be so tough w/ more than one child! Looking forward to that. :

So far so good w/ Manu Jai. He has grown so much. We got through the jaundice episode, he is eating like a champ and developing so fast! My body seems to be healing alright, I had 2nd degree tears, and still cannot manage to look down there. I just know I am NOT ready for sex! Not to mention finding the time.

My biggest challenge is getting Manu to bed between 11 and 1. He just cries and cries, refuses to sleep. I am starting to realize he likes to be awake more than most babies, so I am playing it by ear. He gets frustrated by being put down for a nap all day long....today I fed him and let him hang w/ me for 1.5 hours, fed him again and then he passed out on his terms! Taurus babies!

Other than that? I am just trying to figure out birth control issues and vaccine decisions (selective or none).

See you all in the Life w/ a Babe section! good luck w/ those toddlers! :
Old 06-09-2006, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Big hugs to you mamas with more than one. I'm : just adjusting to one right now!

I think we're pretty much getting a handle on the gassydum and OAL issues. : As I saw someplace else on MDC, maybe it was the Breastfeeding forum, now on to the next thing!

Hmmm.... looks like Milky Face is waking up right now. Time for some milkies and a dry booty....

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

Old 06-10-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylady
marylizah - ask your ped about letting your baby tummy sleep. I had a friend whose baby had bad reflux and her baby slept on her tummy. My sister also had one child who refused to sleep on her back and her ped said let her sleep how she's comfortable - she was healthy weight, no other problems...

Doing well here - better. I had a touch of the baby blues but they have passed, thank goodness. Weston is doing great still - smiling and cooing now and he stays up now for a good 2 hours between napping during the day and sleeps all night. I already gave up and put him in bed with me so now I sleep even better.

The real challenge has been my DD. Yesterday was a terrible horrible rotten awful day. She had a friend over and they were SOOOOOOOOOO bad. Let's see - dumped bright PINK nailpolish in the tub - which I have yet to attempt to clean, colored on DD's walls with markers, mashed a banana into the carpet...and this little girl has all older brothers and sisters and has quite the sassy little mouth on her, which DD of course picks up too. I asked my DD to stop doing something 5 times and then I said exasperated at this point, "what did I JUST ask you?" She actually put her hands over her ears and said "I don't know cuz I don't have to listen to you."

It was the third spanking she has ever gotten in her life.: I felt like crap for spanking her but I had just HAD it with her rotten snotty attitude. And then to make matters WORSE she went into COMPLETE HYSTERICS in her room and would NOT calm down - so I grabbed her by the arm (I should have just left the room at this point) and shook her and yelled at her to STOP IT! Meanwhile DS is crying...ugh. I flew off the handle and I said "When you behave so nasty to me it makes me just want to give you away." The look on her face was awful - her rotten tude gone, hysterics stopped, she ran and hugged me and said "NO! I LOVE YOU!" I told her I didn't mean it - I love her too but her attitude is making me feel so sad and angry and frustrated...

ugh. What a mess. By the time DH got home I locked myself in the bathroom pretending to shower and cried cried cried.

I miss my DD. She was my pal.

That has been the hardest change about all of this - and it was the one change I didn't even think about.

whew - sorry for the novel. Today was MUCH better and we spent lots of nice time together and I managed to make it through the day without yelling at her. I feel like a crappy mommy.
Oh Cheryl, to you, you are NOT alone!! My horrible horrible day was Wed. I was trying to get us all ready for a day at the water park, Alayna was SUPER crabby, and Rachel was trying to help me, and I yelled at her for knocking over the cooler. I immediately apoplogized, and hugged her and cried with her, the sad part, was that she wouldn't admit she was crying because I yelled, she said her eye hurt. Then Emma has been a PEACH lately.: And she started yelling as soon as I had finally gotten Alayna to sleep, so I grabbed her, spanked her, and put her in her room for a time out, where she fell asleep. So I went in her room and started bawling because her last thought before falling asleep was mommy spanking her. It was horrible. Thankfully, Alayna will take a bottle pretty well now, so I had DH get up with her that night so I could sleep. Made a WORLD of difference.

Anyhoo, just know that your not alone.

Alayna would NOT go to bed last night, she was sooo fussy. I finally got her to sleep at around 2 am. I was at my wits end. We had gone to some friends house to hang out, and I wanted to have some drinks. Thankfully I wasn't much in the mood for anything but water, otherwise DH would have been screwed trying to get her to sleep. Although, I did have a Pina Colada, and that was YUMMY!!

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
Old 06-10-2006, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

May Mamas, now that the week is nearing it's end, should we continue our weekly threads here or move to the official "Life With Babe" forum? I kinda like the smallness of our May Mamas subforum, but I do not know the MDC guidelines on this. I'll start it wherever people think it should be. Thanks all.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
Old 06-10-2006, 11:10 PM

to all of us dealing with children other than our new one! It has gotten better - I think part of it is I need to adjust my own attitude as well.

and be more patient.

So - anyone elses DC LIVE in the sling??? My little guy LOVES to be held - all the time!
Old 06-11-2006, 02:00 AM

I'll vote for keeping it here!
I like hearing about newborn issues, our one month olds. There are so many "big kids" in the life with a babe forum! It's wonderful and sad to think my little little josh is going to be walking in a few months! And all those other milestones the other mamas are talking about. I'm in bliss just counting his smiles.
Anyone else?
Old 06-11-2006, 02:15 AM

I dunno Max, they don't automatically shut down the birth board do they? (My last pg was before we had DDC so we only had a thread in I'm PG)

I'm up for either way!
Old 06-11-2006, 02:17 AM

Quote:

So - anyone elses DC LIVE in the sling??? My little guy LOVES to be held - all the time!
dd immediately crashes in the mei tai. I just wish I could wash dishes and cook with her in the carrier, but uh-uh, no way I could. I totally want one for keeping in the van and one for the house but don't have any money to buy another (paranoid I'll leave it at home and end up in public with three kids and no baby carrier )
Old 06-11-2006, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
to all of us dealing with children other than our new one! It has gotten better - I think part of it is I need to adjust my own attitude as well.

and be more patient.

I'm glad things are going better Cheryl and yes, the wee one just adores being in arms and practically lives in his sling. I was wondering the same thing myself of you other mamas.

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

Old 06-11-2006, 09:26 AM

Max ~ I think this DDC stays open for a couple more months (until Aug/Sept when the May '07 mamas start getting their ) so we could stay here for a bit but eventually we have to leave our cozy littlr DDC nest.

Oh and my guy lives in the sling. I have an infant car seat but I've been leaving it installed in the car and carrying him everywhere. It actually helps relieve some of my AP guilt about not being able to tend to his needs as quickly as I'd like (it KILLS me when he's crying in his swing or bouncy chair and I can't pick him up because DD needs me ).

Cheryl ~ Glad things are getting better. We will get through this!!

User Tag List