week of 6/5, "Life w/Babe" check in - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 06-05-2006, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all. Another new week has arrived. I hope it is finding everyone well and continuing to enjoy their new babes.

We are doing well. I sooo hear everyone about the pp body! For some reason this is really bothering me this time around. I cannot wait to get into some real clothes (still maternity for me, even my pp clothes do not fit yet!). I think it is because I had such a tough time w/my pregnancy & delivery that I am really trying to claim my body back. I have had pretty bad PSD, so I am limited in what I can do for exercise right now, even walking is tough. But I am doing some gentle exercises & stretches, starting to do some gardening, and back to taking care of my horse. The bedrest really seems to have drained my strenth, so this is defnately going to be a challenge.

Thrush-wise, I think we are on the mend. Baby still had a white tongue after a week of Diflucan, but all the other patches in her mouth were gone. My pediatrician thinks it is milk tongue, which can then harbor other germs, so needs to be cleaned up. We are working on that, but it is not easy w/such a little mouth. We did genetian violet for the past couple nights, so poor baby has a purple mouth. The worst about this is everyone's reaction when they see her. So many people ask if she has been eating popsicles. Ummm, she is 2 weeks old! My dh says, just say yes.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 50 Old 06-05-2006, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*max*~
So many people ask if she has been eating popsicles. Ummm, she is 2 weeks old! My dh says, just say yes.
: That's funny... except I do see babies (not old enough to be walking) in carseats and strollers around here with Big Red or Hawaiian Punch in their bottles so I guess some people might actually believe you!

I'm feeling good, but ready to get some regular exercise... I have more energy when I do! I guess it's time to start packing the kids in the wagon and putting dd in the mei tai... gotta dig out the sunhat for her though!
#3 of 50 Old 06-05-2006, 11:06 AM

Same here Max, with the diflucan. We'll be starting yet another GV treatment tomorrow, timed up to be at the end of my antibiotic run for mastitis. It hadn't been going away anyway, and the abx sure won't be helping.

Magdalena is currently not happy to sleep anywhere but on my chest so we're sleeping in the corner of our (very firm) sectional so I can sleep sitting up with her on my chest, but not have to worry that she'll roll off. Swaddling helps her (she startles and wakes up and realizes no ones holding her, over and over again, all night long ), but she's gotten too long for most of her blankets and I've been sick and unable to make more.

I never really moved away from my PP body last time, so I still have "regular" clothes that fit me, but I'm ready to be smaller now.
#4 of 50 Old 06-05-2006, 11:12 AM

Oh I meant to ask you Max, is your PSD getting any better? Mine is, I am trying to be careful getting out of bed and stuff but I really feel so much better without all the pressure of having a baby in there! I can't believe the difference, I thought I was being wimpy but I really do think I was doing pretty good considering if I compare it to how things feel now. It's amazing that a 7lb baby, placenta and fluids made that much difference, but it sure did.
#5 of 50 Old 06-05-2006, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for asking BBM. Yes, my PSD is so much better. Each day I am feeling better & more able to move around. I can do all those little things that I couldn't before - get in & out of bed, stand on one foot to get dressed, etc. I went for my first walk w/the double stroller a few days ago, but didn't get very far. The PSD was really hurting after a couple blocks. And if I do too much during the day, it hurts at night. But I am optimistic that it will continue to heal and hopefully by 6 weeks I will be able to begin working out again. I am going to try a chiropractor too, once I find the time to get in there. I'm glad to hear you are feeling better also. And yes, it feels soooooo much better not to be pregnant anymore!

#6 of 50 Old 06-05-2006, 12:58 PM

My babe is now a month and two days old. I love seeing his new abilities, like cooing( so cute ), and watching everyone, controlling his head. I'm starting to think about going back to work(I work childcare, so I don't have to leave him anywhere). I would really like the social, and in just the last few days I have started to feel like I am ready to get out of the house and get more outside social contact.
#7 of 50 Old 06-05-2006, 01:38 PM

When I was pregnant and preparing to stop teaching for the year, I thought a lot about how much I love my students and tried to imagine what it must be like to love my own child. A few days ago I took Phoebe to my school's spring concert. I don't know if I have ever felt so much love and joy at once. Watching my students sing is always a wonderful experience. Watching them with my daughter in my lap...well, I thought my heart was just going to burst.

So here we are, at 3 weeks, with Phoebe nursing right now, holding my boob with both tiny hands, and I can't believe how in love with her I am.
#8 of 50 Old 06-05-2006, 10:39 PM

Catherine is nursing like crazy, I can't believe how much milk one little tummy needs. She is 4 days old. Her big sister is finally warming up to her, and big brother loves to help change diapers and just chat with her while I dress her. Both the older kids are sick and I'm praying HARD that Catherine doesn't catch it.

My biggest Thing right now is my pelvic pain. I don't feel like I can do ANYTHING and I hate it. My doula is telling me to just relax, but it's so hard when there is so much to be done. It hurts to stand too long or to walk. I have MOPS moms bringing meals to me which is a great help; we got yummy lasagne a couple nights ago that lasted until today because it was so huge.

I forgot what a big deal it is just to do little things like go to the bathroom. Instead of just running in and out I need to make sure I have my lunapads assembled, my peribottle filled with warm water (it takes forever for our water to heat up so the running water makes me feel like I'm going to pee my pants!!!), change pad, blah blah blah. Going up and down stairs takes forever because my pelvis is so sore.

And I am a little depressed about my last birth (before this one). This one went so well, but it had so many things in common with my last one. My OBs made all the difference. Both daughters were born purple...my last (bad) OB took my baby from me and incubated/ventilated her for 3hrs even though she pinked up right away. While she was being born OB said she looked discolored and had my roll onto my back (supine) and I COULD NOT PUSH. The nurses thought I was kidding but I honestly couldn't do it in that position. OB yanked DD out and I required stitches. She was 8lbs 3oz and he said if she were any bigger, he would have given me a c-section. This time, my OB handed my baby to me, purple and all, and said she'd be fine (and she was). I birthed her in a squatting position and had a teeny, minor tear, which OB said she would let heal naturally (thank goodness, because the stitching was the WORST part of the birth last time). This baby was over 9lbs and there was absolutely no question in any of my OBs' minds that I could birth her naturally, and they were endlessly supportive of that. Thanks to my OB, every single nurse in the maternity ward had read and memorized my birth plan to the letter and never asked me to deviate from what I originally wanted. The whole thing made me realize how unnecessary all the interventions from last time were and have made me feel al ittle depressed about #2's birth.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#9 of 50 Old 06-05-2006, 10:50 PM

Patrick, more commonly known as Patty-Cake 'round here, is doing superbly well. He is beautiful and peaceful and sweet, and I have a very hard time putting him down. He is chunking up beautifully on the "ninny", as big bro has always called it. He will be 4 wks on Wednesday, and I'm not sure of his weight right now, but at 2.5 wks he was 8lb, 1.5oz, up from 6#12oz at birth. Hooray for the boobie! He was having some problems with gas and vomiting, I think due to overactive letdown, but we appear to be working thru that now. It's been a few days since he had a major spit up explosion.

He has to go see a plastic surgeon at Children's National Medical Center in DC next month about removal of a giant CMN (congenital melanocytic nevus) on his back. I'm terrified they're going to tell me it has to come off in infancy, which will involve surgery and skin grafts. I'm trying to be positive about it, and not worry till I have to, though.

DS 1 is having some minor adjustment issues, but all in all, life at home is beautiful right now.
#10 of 50 Old 06-05-2006, 11:01 PM

Alayna will be 5 weeks tomorrow. Where is the time going? Only 2 more weeks and then I'm back to having my daycare kids. I'm seriously counting how many hours I have with my 3 girls alone. I love doing daycare, but it's alot of work, and I have so enjoyed this time with the girls. Sigh...

I think we have thrush, so I'm freakin a bit about that, because I know how awful it can be to get rid of. I'm hoping that I am catching it early though. Alayna is smiling up a storm, and laughing and cooing. I loooove this stage!!! I weighed her a couple days ago, and she's 10 plus pounds! She is still sleeping great, usually 4-6 hour stretches. I lay her down in her crib, and then when she get's up for her night nursing, I bring her into bed with me. Love that!

I am trying to potty train Emma.: She is 3, and has had no desire to go on the potty, but it's actually going ok. She pooped twice in her unders, but she'll eventually get it. I'm not obsessed about getting her "trained" because I know when she's ready, it'll click.

Hugs to all you mamas dealing with thrush, PPd, PSD, and PPB, (Post partum bodies ) I know for me, I feel like I have much more cushion than I did with the other 2, but my weight is the same. Oh well, I won't freak out about it yet, I tend to hang onto 5-10 pounds until I'm done nursing.

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#11 of 50 Old 06-05-2006, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat
Watching them with my daughter in my lap...well, I thought my heart was just going to burst.
awww
#12 of 50 Old 06-05-2006, 11:32 PM

Doing well here too. Kirsten has totally overcome all her early BFing difficulties, thanks to the chrio, and I officially returned the rental pump to my LC today. She's been 100% BFing for 5 days now. The LC weighed her and at 2 weeks she's now 9lbs. 2 oz. (BW was 7 lbs. 14oz.) so I'm thrilled!

As expected her mellowness in utero has carried over into her life in the world. She's a champion sleeper all day, and active for about 3 hours in the evening. She sleeps on me as well, which takes some getting used to though.

DS and DD are adapting quite well. DD just wants to love all over the baby and needs to be reminded to be gentle though. DS isn't as into it as DD, but has shown some interest in holding Kirsten on occasion.

I could use more sleep, but otherwise, I'm doing great!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#13 of 50 Old 06-06-2006, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Nova, I remember it well. I too had major pelvic pain from PSD and overall PP soreness. And yes, going to the bathroom was a major production! (I keep all my PP supplies in a basket under the sink - very helpful to have everything in one place and organized).

The one thing I can say is that the pelvic pain does get better fairly quickly. After about a week I was feeling so much better. Hang in there, gets lots of rest, and take your ibuprofin if you have it.

Gotta run. Crying babe.

#14 of 50 Old 06-06-2006, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

PP mamas, do you ever just have a melt down & feel like crying? Last night I had my first one. I had a busy day w/the kids, hadn't slept much the night before, & was sore from my PSD & general childbirth soreness. Then dh calls & says he is stuck in traffic & is going to be a little late. That was all it took. I had been doing fine & then I just snapped & had to do all I could not to break down right there on the phone. When dh got home he took over w/the kids so I could go lay down w/the baby. I got a nap & felt worlds better. But it was strange how it came on so quickly like that. Anyone else?

#15 of 50 Old 06-06-2006, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*max*~
PP mamas, do you ever just have a melt down & feel like crying? Last night I had my first one. I had a busy day w/the kids, hadn't slept much the night before, & was sore from my PSD & general childbirth soreness. Then dh calls & says he is stuck in traffic & is going to be a little late. That was all it took. I had been doing fine & then I just snapped & had to do all I could not to break down right there on the phone. When dh got home he took over w/the kids so I could go lay down w/the baby. I got a nap & felt worlds better. But it was strange how it came on so quickly like that. Anyone else?
Oh yeah. Definitely been there. Last week I had a horrible day. DS was gassy and only content if I was holding him. DD was overtired but I could not get her down for a nap (took 1 and 1/2 hours to get her down for a 1 hour nap ). It was a BAD, BAD day and I totally lost it. I was sobbing, which scared DD and made her get even more upset.

I ended up calling my DH and begging him to come home early, which he did. Thank God.

Since then I've been working on creating more routines...particualarly regarding nap time....and that has helped tremendously. I'm also being much more aware of what I'm eating and how much I'm drinking so I will feel good.

It's amazing to me how much more work 2 are.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a back carry with a newborn? DS is aserting his desire to be held CONSTANTLY, which I'm totally willing to do...but I've got to figure out a better way to hold him so I can get stuff done. I have many different carriers....ring sling, pocket sling, wrap....just have to figure out a safe back carry.

Oh and one more question (I barely have time to post lately so I have to ask all my questions while I"m thinking of them )....has anyone DTD yet? DH and I are very much wanting to and I feel ready physically. We just haven't managed to find a time when we are both awake and the kids are both asleep yet.
#16 of 50 Old 06-06-2006, 02:12 PM

Ugh, I had my cry yesterday too. The A/C died in my minivan and when they called me to tell me it was $700 to repair it because I'm 3k miles over the extended warranty I just cried (and I'm not getting it fixed for now because I can't stand the idea of more debt). I'm more likely to get grouchy and mad though than to cry so that's my struggle with the older kids right now.

No advise on a back carry Erin... I'm not enjoying the pouch like I normally do so it's going unused and I'm not ready to attempt a back carry in the mei tai yet. Let us know if you find a good back carry for a newborn.

We haven't DTD yet, I'm still spotting ever so slightly and I don't want to try anything until I'm completely done. It shouldn't be long though because I've gone all day without spotting a couple of times. I dunno when it will happen though even when we're ready cause now we have three possible interupptions and he's gone so much working these days. Could be interesting. :
#17 of 50 Old 06-06-2006, 02:13 PM

dharmama, I have a June '04 babe, and a May '06 babe, too, and I TOTALLY am with ya on how much harder 2 are! More fun, too, though, eh?
#18 of 50 Old 06-06-2006, 05:40 PM

nak...

finally getting around to checking in...

Judah is 4 weeks old today..Oh my..where did the time go..

bf'ing is going great excpet for I am pretty sure I had matitis over the weekend. I was at my sisters grad. party over the weekend and my boob started to hurt pretty bad and then I got feezing cold and was shivering and achy all over. I thought I had the flu until I read some threads in the bf forum. I just rode out the infection with lots of nursing and a rice sock. I did not want to go to the dr. and get anitbotics and then get thrush..ykwim..

sometimes bf irritates me just a little...i want to sleep and have dh feed
judah. in the end I know I am doing a great thing but sometimes I just feel like not being sucked on ..

ds is adjusting just fine...he loves to hug and kiss his brother..no signs of jealously except for when he thought I put his diaper on Judah(they have the same one)....

nighttime is getting better..he sleeps in 3 hr stretches on me...he does have a terrible time getting back to sleep though at the 3 am feeding and again around 7 am..dh is a god-send in helping with that..

all in all everything is great..i can't believe how long it takes to do something and get out of the house with 2 of them...

no signs if serious ppd but i have had a few episodes...

and i am certainly ready to stop bleeding anytime now...my c-section scar is healed and feels pretty good..i def. perfer the stitches to staples..

ok..i will stop rambling now...

#19 of 50 Old 06-06-2006, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

dharmama, regarding your questions, sorry I am no help. The back carry looks so comfortable, but I have always felt like unless I could easily have my hands on the babe it wouldn't be safe to me. I bet if you posted in the baby wearing forum you'd get lots of good feedback. And as for doing the deed - :. I am one of those wait six weeks, inebriate & lubricate for the first time back. (I have always been really sore PP, w/stitches, VV, etc.) And now dh is getting a vasectomy, so we are waiting for that too. (Not taking any chances after the pregnancy & delivery I had. )

#20 of 50 Old 06-06-2006, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma
Let us know if you find a good back carry for a newborn.
:

The emotions are getting more under control. A couple of weeks ago I had a couple of days where it seemed everything was making me cry.

As far as DTD, I started bleeding again 6 or so days ago after having seemingly stopped at 3.5 weeks : so we'll see how that goes.

So I finally broke down and got some dye-free Mylicon for DS and I must say that I was not happy to give Merck our hard earned $15. DS does seem to be doing better with all the measures I have taken to get this gassiness, OAL, etc. under control.

I don't like the idea of having to give him simethicone every time he eats so we're not doing it at every feeding and as he grows I'm thinking we won't need any. We were looking into gripe H2O but he was so fussy the other day and wouldn't take the breast so off to Walgreen's it was.

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#21 of 50 Old 06-06-2006, 08:12 PM

Baby Addison is 5 weeks today and is doing great. We were in the hospital when she was 3 weeks because of a high fever and it turned out to be a UTI!!! they still don't know how she got it but we were there for 3 days for tests. She is now on antibiotics for two weeks and doing great. She hit a big growth spurt while at the hospital and is almost 9 lbs! Her eyes are turning a beautiful blue and is starting to smile.
I'm doing great. I've lost a lot of my weight and ready to start working out. I go back to work on Monday so hope that goes well. She is now on formula during the day and bf at night. thats going great
#22 of 50 Old 06-07-2006, 01:11 AM

MCB- I was hoping the gassiness was getting better for you guys! My mom asked me this evening if Audrey had thrown up at all since the adjustment and I was able to say "only once"! And that was a rough one too because I hadn't nursed her on my left side all night long so had the really strong OAL and she was hungrily gulping it down like crazy. She gets a bit gassy now and then but at least now more spitting up or puking.

Okay, I really should be in bed, it's been a loooong day. :
#23 of 50 Old 06-07-2006, 09:40 AM

I think I have OAL too.

Quinn is gagging almost every time he nurses - no matter what position I nurse him in. This morning the poor guy got drenched...he popped off and I could not stop the milk. I could not find a cloth or anything to put over it for a few seconds so he got it in the eye and all over the face.

He's also been very gassy - but mainly in the evening. Two nights ago I gave him a dose of homeopathic chamomile. It was amazing. He settled right down and went to sleep after.

I have LLL on Friday and I need to buy a new copy of the Womanly Art (I stupidly gave my copy away because I thought I was such a bf-ing pro that I wouldn't need it ) to read up on OAL and over supply -- I'm still getting pretty engorged every night. Ouch.

We have a visiting nurse coming today so I'll get to find out how much my chunky monkey weighs this week! He was 9.8 two weeks ago and I'm thinking he's gained at least a pound since then.

Oh and interesting that you guys mentioned about spotting and DTD. I had been almost a week with only the slightest bit of dark brown spotting occasionally....then yesterday....back to red. Guess we'll be waiting a bit longer too.
#24 of 50 Old 06-07-2006, 10:19 AM

I want to know about back carrying too . I have a Mei Tai, but I'm kind of afraid to use it on my back with such a tiny one. There are just some things I can't do with a sling (dishes, cooking, showering), and Kirsten is not happy to be put down at all. If she can see me or hear my voice, my arms is the ONLY place for her !

Also, does anyone have any good remedies for... ahem... hemerroids? Didn't get them during pregnancy, but a few ouchy ones showed up after delivery.

We're doing great otherwise. DH left this morning for his first overnight work trip since Kirsten was born so it's me and three kids until tomorrow night. My 16-yo neighbor is coming over tonight to help out with dinnertime and bedtime tonight, so I'm not too worried. I'm loving having three children. My life just seems so full and complete .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#25 of 50 Old 06-07-2006, 10:38 AM

Oh Erin, thanks for the tip on homeopathic chamomilla, I have that in my kit so we'll fall on that if we need to. Have you tried block feedings? I haven't really been doing block feedings since the chiro adjustment seems to have helped Audrey out and she does a lot of cluster feeding. I could though, but I guess I won't change anything for now.

Someone gave us a pack of burp raps in various shades of pink that look just like prefolds (but they wouldn't work as dipes at all) and I've finally gotten into the habit of keeping one laying with the MBF pillow, one on my pillow, one in the diaper bag... sheesh. Last night though I was the store bf'ing Audrey and had to use my shirt so I had this huge wet spot on the hip of my t-shirt after I finished nursing her. :

Kristina- I'm so loving have three too. I'm feeling pretty complete right now too (although I wonder if that longing for four children will come back later?). I have moments where I feel overwhelmed but overall it's going well.

Course I had to say that ... dd just got into the bulk bag of popcorn and spilled it all over the tile floor. :
#26 of 50 Old 06-07-2006, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks Michelle! We're slowly but surely getting things under control here but it's certainly taking a lot of trial and error not to mention handwringing and tears. Mine and his!

dharmama, yep, that's happened to us a few times. I will be a little slow in catching the spray or not have a dipe or anything near me and DS will get sprayed in the face. His little mouth has no idea where to go if it sprays into his mouth and he gets all confused. Mouth wide open and trying to catch his milks. Chamomile, :

Sorry JayGee, I just waited it out! :

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#27 of 50 Old 06-07-2006, 10:53 AM

I too am dealing with an overactive letdown. So far she isn't one to release her latch, so no sprays here. But this thrush thing has me so down. I got some acidophillus, and just ordered babydolphillus for Alayna. I am also cutting out most sugars, and no dairy. This is sooooooooo HARD for me, as I am a huuuuuge chocoholic. I actually felt a bit depressed yesterday, and I know it's just a big sugar letdown. Hopefully in a few days it will get better.

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#28 of 50 Old 06-07-2006, 10:53 AM

A wrap is excellent for back carry - but I haven't tried it myself! Check out thebabywearer.com

I also bought a video that demonstrates 50 different wrap carries which is excellent.
http://store.attachedtobaby.com/Sear...=Instructional

more later - DS needs me and DH has to get ready for work...
#29 of 50 Old 06-07-2006, 11:36 AM

Well, George will be 4 weeks old on Friday and things are... ok. Bf'ing still really hurts. I contacted LLL by email yesterday, the leader said she suspects thrush. I'll be attending a meeting tomorrow, so they'll help me figure this stuff out, hopefully. I'm surprised by what she said, we really have no symptoms and I haven't been on abx since... well... maybe 1.5 years.

In other news, Geo still REFUSES to sleep on his back or his side or anywhere besides his tummy or on me. I let him sleep on his tummy during daytime naps, but at night he's on my chest. This has got to stop, since he weights over 10lbs, is VERY squirmy and hot. When we wake up to nurse we're both drenched with sweat. I don't know what to do-- even in the stroller he screams and screams when he's on his back. How do you mamas make it out of the house? Oh, he'll only accept the sling if I put him in when he's already asleep, otherwise he howls.

Today is a hard day, I'm trying not to feel despair, but this kid has got to learn to sleep on his back!! He hates being swaddled, too, we've tried that.

About DTD, I am sooooo totally wiped out and just kinda struggling that I can't even imagine wanting to be touched. Plus, I'm still bleeding/spotting.

Gah. People keep saying it gets better. Well, it's been a month, WHEN exactly does it get better? : : :
#30 of 50 Old 06-07-2006, 11:40 AM

For a tiny one I'm more comfy with a stretchy wrap than a mei tai. Mine is just interlock from the fabric store...5.5 yards. (I'm bigger) You don't even have to hem the fabric, just get your length and cut to a width you like.

Block feeding works miracles for our OAL and over supply issues.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page