Not the kind of mom I want to be... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 06-15-2006, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering if some of you more experienced mamas can offer any advice here. Our life with dd has gotten off to a bit of a shaky start. We've had tons of bfing issues: cracked/bleeding nipples (now resolved), thrush and vasospasm (unresolved), and now lots of fussing/screaming from dd while eating (perhaps a reaction to the meds we're on). I'm on an extreme sugar-elimination diet to deal with the thrush (no wheat/gluten/flour products, no sugar, no fruit, no dairy except for organic plain yogurt--and I'm a vegetarian), and we're now in the throes of purple hell because we're using gentian violet as well. I'm having a minor allergic reaction to the Diflucan I'm taking, so I itch all the time. I have long-term yeast issues, though, so I'm really reluctant to go off of it until things are cleared up. I'm also suffering from bad insomnia. Even though dd sleeps for decent stretches of time, I'm not falling asleep when she does. If I'm lucky, I get six hours in two 3-hour chunks. More often, it's 4 hours a night (in 2 2-hour chunks) or just 2 hours a night. Napping during the day is impossible for me (it always has been).

With all of this to deal with, life with a babe isn't exactly as I had expected. I feed her, and then dh and I find ourselves just trying to get her to sleep so we can stash her in the co-sleeper. When she wakes up, my heart sinks a little. Don't get me wrong--I love her, but I feel pretty exhausted and overhwhelmed...I'm always just waiting for her to sleep so I can have a few minutes to rest. I pictured myself as this great AP mom, but I feel like I'm not doing anything meaningful with her most of the time. I've tried slinging her around the house, but I'm having trouble getting the hang of it, and it hurts my back to keep her in there for more than 10 minutes or so. I'm relying on plastic baby storage containers much more than I ever anticipated.

I don't have any friends in the area who are moms (and who don't work full time or more), so I don't really have anyone to hang out with during the day. My mom is visiting once a week (from out of town), which is nice, but she's only able to be here from around 11am to 4 pm because of the travel time and her job. Dh is working like a madman (every night and weekend, although he can do this from home)--he's in a particularly busy time at work, and, even though I know it will be over in a few weeks and even though he's doing as much as he possibly can around the house, his attention is necessarily divided and I'm trying really hard not to add to his stress by being *too* demanding.

I dunno...I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that this will get easier and that I'm not scarring my dd for life by not being the fabulous, connected mom that I thought I would be. We definitely have some good moments, but right now it just doesn't feel like there are enough of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 37 Old 06-15-2006, 04:02 PM

Hey! I'm not in your DDC, but I have been in your shoes! Give yourself a break, Mama! It is not always sunshine and roses, and it is very easy to feel that you are not doing something "right" if you read all the AP literature. It makes you feel like a crappy mom! That being said, of course, things would probably be harder if you *didn't* practice AP. Being a new mom is just totally overwhelming and hard!

Girl, you have *got* to get in a playgroup right now. Everyone knows that at this age, playgroups are for the *mothers*! You need to be with other women like you. Try to meet some moms through LLL or the "Finding Your Tribe" forum here on MDC. Having my friends saved my life. Quite literally. And friends understand things differently than your DH. Different perspective, you know?

It is hard now because you don't have anyone like this. But, be encouraged b/c it is not hard to find. I wish you lived by me; we have tons of very cool mamas in my neighborhood. But you live in NYC, right? That is like a coolness hall of fame, I think, so it should be easy for you.

I see you are a hyena mama, too. Go to the diapering board and announce that you'd like to meet other CD moms in NYC. You know how friendly and uh, "enthusiastic" those moms can be!

Your DD is getting so much of your energy right now, and it is very important for you to take care of yourself emotionally. And that is just about impossible without a support system.

Edited to add: and things *will* get easier! (I can't believe I forgot to say this!) This is the most intense time for you and DD. It is going to be okay!

Thinking of you,
Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#3 of 37 Old 06-15-2006, 04:02 PM

It will so, so get easier. With dd we had such a horrible start with nursing, and I was miserable for the first month. Absolutely exhausted b/c I was pumping around the clock, so all I ever wanted to do was sleep. I was crying all the time b/c I was so disappointed that nursing wasn't working out like I'd hoped. It was really tough. Dh and I agree that it was the hardest month of our marriage. We were both exhausted and stressed out.

BUT...we both agree that it was so worth that difficult period. Dd turned out to be a great nurser after that first month, and for the next 2+ years I was always so thankful that I stuck it out. It does get better.

I don't think I have any advice, b/c I don't think there was much of anything anyone could have done or told me that would have made it better. In my case, I just had to push through. But I do think it was one of the hardest things I have ever done.

I hope things get better soon.
#4 of 37 Old 06-15-2006, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It passes mama, I promise. Years from you won't even remember half this stuff. My oldest is getting ready to turn five, today I came across some of her newborn clothes. I can't believe she was ever that small!

It takes time to be connected. Yeah, some moms and babies seem instantly attached, but for many it takes time. My second was in the NICU for two weeks, I didn't even get to hold her till she was 5 days old... so far from what I had planned. I felt horrible when she got home and there were times she drove me up the wall! I thought I must be the worst mom ever. But it's draining and exhausting and it gets to you. It doesn't mean you don't love her with all your heart, it means you're human.

Slings can take awhile to get the hang of. How are you putting her in? I could never get my daughter to lay down in hers. WHen she was a wee one, I put her up right, chest to chest, and pulled the sling snug around her.

I would try not to use the plastic baby holders as much. I don't think they're evil or anything, but it's easy to over rely on them! Babies have a very real need for contact. If she doesn't get enough of you in the day, she'll be more likely to wake frequently at night. Does that make sense? I know that if we have a busy day and dd2 doesn't get held, she's a super fussy sleeper, but if we have a busy day and I make it a point to still hold her a lot, she's usually fine.

This all sounds pretty normal to me! You're doing a great job mama!
#5 of 37 Old 06-15-2006, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg
With all of this to deal with, life with a babe isn't exactly as I had expected. I feed her, and then dh and I find ourselves just trying to get her to sleep so we can stash her in the co-sleeper. When she wakes up, my heart sinks a little. Don't get me wrong--I love her, but I feel pretty exhausted and overhwhelmed...I'm always just waiting for her to sleep so I can have a few minutes to rest.
I would try to let go of waiting for her to sleep. You will only set yourself up for future disappointments.
Do you like to read? Watch movies? Think of things that help you 'escape' that you can also do with your baby.
I love reading and it was easier for me to put baby on the breast while holding her and reading, kwim? It also let me 'escape' yet still hold my baby and be ready when she wanted to nurse.
Also, just laying in the garden/yard with her and enjoying the moment.

Instead of waiting for her to sleep, try to find ways to enjoy life with her, rather than without her. Then when she is older and more independant you will find it is much easier and less exhausting than trying to do your thing when you are waiting for her to sleep/be independant.
#6 of 37 Old 06-15-2006, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Let me respond to some stuff...

I'm actually in Washington, DC now, not New York (which is part of the problem). There is an API group here, as well as a bfing mamas group, but getting anywhere is very difficult for me. We don't own a car, and I don't know how to drive. I live in area which doesn't have a metro, so my only option is the (very bumpy) bus/shuttle bus. I can't manage a stroller on the bus by myself, so I'd have to take her in the sling...and she's still so little and floppy, and I'm still so unsure of the sling that I'm not quite comfortable doing it yet. I also really need to find a way to wear the sling so that it doesn't hurt me after a few minutes, which is the biggest problem. I could deal with the rest of the transportation issues otherwise. I've even thought about taking cabs, but this one is also tricky...I don't feel she's safe just in the sling, and I'm not strong enough to manage her carseat by myself.

I'd love some advice on ways to nurse with one hand so that I can read! The only thing I can currently do while nursing is watch TV--I'm still such a novice (and super careful about latch, b/c of all the problems we've had) that I require a ton of pillows and two hands to nurse her. If I could do other stuff while nursing, I'm sure it would help immensely. I'm not sure what the learning curve is on this...the LCs have told me that at about 6 weeks it gets easy, but that still seems a long way away.

Same goes for holding her. If I'm not using the sling, it requires two hands to hold her. I'm trying to have her in my lap more, but, again, all I can really do while I'm holding her is to watch TV...and, honestly, watching this much TV is making me feel *more* stuck, rather than less.

I don't want to sound like I'm doing nothing. Dh and I are going to pow-wow tonight about using the slings more successfully and more often. I'm trying to take the baby on two walks a day so that both she and I get out more (first one is short, with the dog, using the sling...second one longer, but in the stroller, again b/c of problems with my back using the sling). I guess part of the issue is that I am only 3.5 weeks post-partum, so I'm just starting to feel like I have more energy to do things...I feel so much better physically than I did a week ago, so I assume this will continue to improve as well.
#7 of 37 Old 06-15-2006, 05:33 PM

Amanda... I don't really have much in the way of suggestions except, have you tried a mei tai or similar carrier yet? Audrey loves the mei tai, she practically passes out as soon as I put her in it (and since it distributes weight evenly unlike slings/pouches it's more comfy for longterm wear). OTOH, she squalls like crazy in the pouch.

Hang in there... it's a big adjustment and you've had a lot to work through learning to breastfeed and all.
#8 of 37 Old 06-15-2006, 05:35 PM

your story sounds exactly like mine...I remember it well...

things will get much easier...take it one minute at a time and try not to set up too many expectations. Soon you'll get used to not sleeping so much!
#9 of 37 Old 06-15-2006, 07:25 PM

it does get easier-otherwise I would have stopped at one with everything you have going on it may be a little while-but at 3 months she will seem so much sturdier.The sling will be the easiestthing to do then when riding a bus. The best AP moms will tell you that they didn't feel like ap moms until their babe was little older-at least the first time around. for now your online friends may seem like the only company you have. I so wish I had them when ds #1 was born-but that was 15 years ago. I had no car and lived outside of houston-talk about one bored lonely mama.
keep working on using the sling and maybe try a different carrier-or spend some time on the maya sling site trying some of the different positions. it can take a little while to get the hang of it enough to feel like you can do it for long periods of time.

lots of hugs to you!! I promise it will get easier!!

mother, wife, sister, friend--step mom to one grown man and mommy to 3 boys-ages 19, 10 and 4
#10 of 37 Old 06-15-2006, 07:46 PM

get a moby wrap. they are relatively inexpensive and way more gentle on your body than slings. they're great for new, floppy babies b/c they get to be upright and hug their bodies. once they are asleep, they can stay in there and you can do "other stuff" or nap with them, or whatever. you can easily take her in that on the bus or shuttle. honestlyl, once you get the hang of it (and it's way, way easier than a sling, which i didn'tuse with my first until 5 months when i could have her on my hip) you'll never forget it.

naking now... but for all the other stuff, i hear you. no one tells you about the tough first few weeks and sometimes months, but you are being a great mom even if it doesn't seem AP to you.

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#11 of 37 Old 06-15-2006, 08:10 PM

Amanda,
That sounds so hard! You've had to overcome so much already in such a short time . I can only assume that it gets easier (first-timer here too). With all of these challenges make sure to watch out that ppd doesn't sneak up on you, especially with the insomnia. I've been nervous about that a few times myself and at 5 weeks and starting to feel out of the woods...most days . In so many ways I've felt like nature did a lousy job on post-partum adjustment; your exhausted, physically compromised and trying to master the hardest, most important job of your life! I second the wrap recommendation, it's saved me.

Keep at it...coming on here to discuss it is a great first step at trying to change something.

Huge hugs to you and your little girl and keep posting updates!
#12 of 37 Old 06-15-2006, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg
I'd love some advice on ways to nurse with one hand so that I can read!
I laid my babe on my chest and held the book with both hands (also used pillows to prop myself in a reclined/kinda sitting up position, but not so sitting up that babe would slip off).
When my babies wanted to nurse, i laid on my side and nursed them and held the book open with one hand and the other hand held the breast in place....I finally found my camera and now need to recharge the batteries...maybe someone else has a picture, or I will try and get my oldest dd to take a pic of me so you can visually see what I am writing about.
#13 of 37 Old 06-15-2006, 08:20 PM

Oh Amanda It WILL get better!!!!

Quote:
We've had tons of bfing issues: cracked/bleeding nipples (now resolved), thrush and vasospasm (unresolved), and now lots of fussing/screaming from dd while eating (perhaps a reaction to the meds we're on). I'm on an extreme sugar-elimination diet to deal with the thrush (no wheat/gluten/flour products, no sugar, no fruit, no dairy except for organic plain yogurt--and I'm a vegetarian), and we're now in the throes of purple hell because we're using gentian violet as well. I'm having a minor allergic reaction to the Diflucan I'm taking, so I itch all the time. I have long-term yeast issues, though, so I'm really reluctant to go off of it until things are cleared up. I'm also suffering from bad insomnia. Even though dd sleeps for decent stretches of time, I'm not falling asleep when she does. If I'm lucky, I get six hours in two 3-hour chunks. More often, it's 4 hours a night (in 2 2-hour chunks) or just 2 hours a night. Napping during the day is impossible for me (it always has been).
I don't know if you have the resources for this but I would *highly* recomend seeing a professional homeopath. I think s/he would really be able to help you with these challenges.

I agree with the PP who said find a playgroup. Post-natal yoga, MOMS club, LLL....whatever....build a network of support around yourself...it makes a world of difference.

And keep posting here. We're all here to support you!!!
#14 of 37 Old 06-15-2006, 08:21 PM

Life with a newborn is so overwhelming sometimes. I hope things smooth out for you.
#15 of 37 Old 06-15-2006, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I am only a few weeks ahead of you in this whole thing. It is an enormous adjustment. I have really had to let go of the need to get anything done.

I was the same way for the first couple of weeks - no BF issues, but I just wanted her to fall back asleep so I could sleep too. That has been my toughest adjustment...I like sleeping, always have. My mom thought all babies slept thru the night because of me.

At about two and a half weeks, I made a conscious decision to smile at the baby when she woke up. I just sort of had the realization that if I was grumpy every time I woke up -neither one of us was feeling good about it. That helped my mood a bit - sort of a fake it till you make it kind of thing.

As for DH, my DH went back to work and I tried to do the "non-demanding" thing. Didn't work. Made me feel like I was the only person doing anything with DD. DH is super busy at work too and hasn't been home as much as I would like (came home at 9:30pm the other night.) but the fact is, sometimes I need him to hold her for 10 minutes. Or I need him to get up and change her at night. And after a long conversation with DH about it -turns out he felt like he was missing something when I tried to do it all. So now, i just make clear what I need from him and when, and when he can do it - he does. When he can't we figure it out. This idea that once dad goes back to work mom is 100% of the childcare is bogus. And I think it leads to some very unhappy, pressured mamas. I KNOW I can't be "on" 24 hours a day...and neither can he.

It does get easier - the difference between 2 weeks and 6 weeks is night and day. It is amazing.

I am going to second the Moby Wrap suggestion. I can't get dd in the ring sling right when she is awake...but the moby has saved my life. I can put her in it and she will calm right down, I can walk around, do little things around the house, fix myself food...and they aren't terribly expensive...something to think about.

It is tough, and it is a HUGE adjustment. Even though we all know that intellectually, it didn't hit home for me for a while. Give yourself a while to adjust. I feel much better about how I am doing now than I did at 2 and 3 weeks, and I still have days where I think I am the worst mama ever... But DD is growing, and knows my voice and is getting smiley. So clearly I haven't broken her yet. Hang in there.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#16 of 37 Old 06-15-2006, 09:46 PM

I can't say that I can relate to any of your issues. I have been blessed with a relatively laid back baby.
What I can say is that it sounds like you have the same mindset that I have, and are doing what I might do myself. You have just been chosen to be the parent of your dd who is probably a more "awake" baby than mine!
It's not your fault your having troubles! It sounds like you're really actively looking for solutions. I know how painful the cracked nipples can be! Sends chills down my spine just thinking about it. Glad you've worked it out
I second the prev post "Fake it till ya make it!" I'll be praying for you!
#17 of 37 Old 06-15-2006, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I understand what you are going thru. It is not easy but trust me, it will get better. My dd is only 1 week older than yours and I can say that 1 week does make a big difference.
I am also alone; I don't have family in the USA other than my dh. I was so depressed when I brought the baby home and I remember wondering how I would endure the days ahead of me. The pain from the episiotomy + bf drove me insane. I am still struggling, but when I look at this tine little baby, so innocent, so dependent on me, it makes my day and she takes all the pain away.

It is a good idea to take your dd outside for a walk and refresh.
I am still learning how to nurse comfortably, but the boppy nursing pillow helped me a lot.
Also, you should watch the DVD called "the happiest baby on the block". Those are awesome tips on how to sooth your baby to sleep.
http://thehappiestbaby.com/

It is OK to get frustrated and feel overwhelmed. I guess all new mothers felt the same way one day.
You are a great mom and trust in yourself that you are everything this baby needs and wants. Things will only get better and soon you will look back and laugh at these days...
#18 of 37 Old 06-15-2006, 11:50 PM

Oh Amanda - I so remember the feelings you are having.

The first child is SO hard - I remember literally - one day my life was my life and BAM - the next day everything was totally different FOREVER. Plus I had PPD - it sounds like you may have a touch of the baby blues - not surprising with all the difficulties.

I promise - It WILL get easier. Get a wrap or practice at home with your sling - I could not live without mine. Having a newborn IS hard work. nothing harder if you ask me - you give up everything to care for a baby! We are the only species born 1 year too soon - between feeding and changing and holding and sleep - ugh. There is barely time to get in the shower let alone have ME time.

I do agree with smiling at your baby when she wakes - it will make you both feel better. And when she smiles back at you your heart will melt!

GET OUT of the house! VERY important! When my DD was 6 weeks old (or was it 12?) I signed up for Gymboree - not for her, obviously, but so I could meet other moms - I have 3 friends STILL from when we met 4 year ago now. Mommy N Me is also wonderful - I have met so many great moms there!

Having a network of friends has made #2 SOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier.

I wish we lived closer so I could help you out. It will get easier and you are so not alone in feeling this way.

#19 of 37 Old 06-16-2006, 10:20 AM

Amanda

When my DS was born 4 1/2 years ago, I felt the EXACT same way. He fussed and cried, we had major nursing issues, I was horribly sleep deprived and I felt like screaming, "Is this it!? Is this what I've been waiting 9 long months for???" Adjusting from no children to one was by far the hardest for me.

I do think you need to keep an eye out for PPD. The isolation, the lack of sleep, the fact that your diet is so limited, and the BFing issues can all contribute. It happened to me after DS was born.

And yes, it does get MUCH easier! Otherwise, I would have never had three children . I second the recommendation for reading Happiest Baby on the Block. All three of my children drifted happily to sleep to the sounds of the vacuum cleaner at this age. The author basically says that human babies are born 3 months too early, so we need to replicate the womb environment for them. Anyway, see if your library has it because it made a lot of sense to me and worked really well for both my DDs.

I wish I lived in DC still. I'd definitely get together with you. Unfortunately, DC is a little far from St. Louis....

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#20 of 37 Old 06-16-2006, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Hugs Amanda . I agree w/the PPs. This is my 1st also and it's such a huge adjustment. It can be pretty overwhelming and isolating at times. Definitely find some other mamas. I'm in the process of trying to build a group of mama friends myself. We don't have a car either so I understand that frustration. I'm sure you're doing a great job mama.

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#21 of 37 Old 06-16-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmainer
get a moby wrap. they are relatively inexpensive and way more gentle on your body than slings. they're great for new, floppy babies b/c they get to be upright and hug their bodies. once they are asleep, they can stay in there and you can do "other stuff" or nap with them, or whatever. you can easily take her in that on the bus or shuttle. honestlyl, once you get the hang of it (and it's way, way easier than a sling, which i didn'tuse with my first until 5 months when i could have her on my hip) you'll never forget it.

naking now... but for all the other stuff, i hear you. no one tells you about the tough first few weeks and sometimes months, but you are being a great mom even if it doesn't seem AP to you.

This is hilarious. I was just going to post get a moby wrap. Seriously. Absolutely by far the best thing I got at my baby shower. Amazing! It looks cumbersome at first, but it's not bad at all. My son passes out the second I put him in it, AND you can wear it and breast feed with no hands!!!!!

The other thing I was going to say, is nurse while you're sleeping!! If I couldn't nurse while I was sleeping, I'd never sleep ; )
I think it's called the side lying position. It takes a few times to get it down perfectly, but you'll be so very happy once you do. I never thought I'd end up with my boy actually sleeping in my bed every single night, but he loves it and I love it. I have a co sleeper, but he wont stay asleep for more than a couple hours without my body heat next to him. Your baby might sleep longer in bed with you also. Good luck mama!
#22 of 37 Old 06-16-2006, 01:05 PM

I am not in you DDC, but I'm not too far ahead of you... I just wanted to send you hugs and say that it DOES get better!! I know it seems endless now, but it's not.

Also, I, too, have had a tough time with the sling. I'm gonna have to check out the Moby that the PP have mentioned.

Another thing... You NEED to connect with other mommas! This will help lots. Try going to www.matchingmoms.org. You put in your info and type in your zip code and you can connect with other moms in your area! You might even find someone who might be willing to pick you up so you can all get out of the house! I have connected with a few moms in my area through this site. www.clubmom.com is another one that can help you connect to moms in your area.

Best of luck, honey!

Kerri

Wife to Kevin (8-1-98)
: Proud Momma to Katelyn (4-02), Calvin (4-06), and Ashley (7-08) :
#23 of 37 Old 06-16-2006, 01:24 PM

I'll echo what everyone else says, it does get better. With regard to not being able to fall asleep when the babe is asleep, I have had this problem with both babes. What really works for me is the Hypnobabies Insomnia cd. It's meant for pregnant women, and I bought it when pregnant with my 2nd. Boy does it put me out in less than 10 minutes. I bought it on the hypnobabies website.

With regard to the yeast, are you taking lots of probiotics? I have been having a yeast battle with DS2 from the beginning, and putting probiotics on my nipples works way better than diflucan or gentian violet. I read that eliminating sugar/bread won't help with thrush because it's the lactose that causes the thrush. It should, however, help with your own yeast issues. Also, have you checked out the healing the gut thread? I'm working my way through it.

Not in your DDC but so much of what you're saying sounded familiar, I wanted to respond.
#24 of 37 Old 06-16-2006, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies--even just hearing that others have BTDT is helpful. I ordered the Moby Wrap, although it will take at least a few days to get here. There's a Washington, DC API group that meets once a month...if the wrap is here in time, and I can manage dd in it, I'll go next week.

I guess I'm going to have to investigate playgroups. I know it sounds crazy, but I'm a little reluctant to join one of the mainstream groups (like MOMS) right now...as it is, I'm fighting really hard to do all the AP stuff I believe in, and I really don't want to hear a lot of suggestions to let dd cry it out, that I need to teach her to entertain herself, etc. (I'm already getting a lot of this from my sister, who means well, but whose parenting philosophy is very different from mine.) I live in a very child-friendly neighborhood--basically the only child-friendly neighborhood in the District--so I'm sure there must be stuff around.

The bfing stuff is another major sticking point. Right now, I can only bf in the cross cradle position, with dd on two pillows. We aren't quite skilled enough to nurse lying down or in bed yet...and because of the thrush, we're actually trying to keep nursing contained to one spot in the house for the present. We're having to do so much laundry as it is to try to kill off the yeasties, that we don't want to infect all the bed linens as well (I'm currently sleeping on Chux pads...whee). For this reason, I'm also really uncomfortable NIP--not because I care about breast exposure, but because I don't know how to position dd to do it without all of my "props". I've footballed her a couple of times when I had to, but I'm pretty bad at it, and I don't like not being able to see her latch. When does bfing get more intuitive--both for me and for baby?
#25 of 37 Old 06-16-2006, 04:02 PM

Hi Amanda,

Just wanted to say I'm with you on how hard it all is. Things have just started getting better for me now that George is 5 weeks-- we've figured out some BFing stuff (still not perfect, but progress) and physically I'm feeling better. Like for you, we still have a hard time getting out of the house-- George hates being on his back, so the stroller has limited use for the moment and my wrap takes 2 people to put on (still haven't mastered it!). If my mom wasn't here, I don't know what I'd do.

Just wanted to send you a and say you aren't alone. I sure hope things get better for you soon.
#26 of 37 Old 06-16-2006, 04:14 PM

"[QUOTE=JayGee] Amanda

When my DS was born 4 1/2 years ago, I felt the EXACT same way. He fussed and cried, we had major nursing issues, I was horribly sleep deprived and I felt like screaming, "Is this it!? Is this what I've been waiting 9 long months for???" Adjusting from no children to one was by far the hardest for me.

I do think you need to keep an eye out for PPD. The isolation, the lack of sleep, the fact that your diet is so limited, and the BFing issues can all contribute. It happened to me after DS was born."

I will just ditto all this! You are sooo not alone, hun!! My first was a super easy baby, and a great nurser, and I STILL had the hardest time adjusting. I have always said, if Emma was born first, I'm not sure I would have had more. She was VERY needy, and I had a ton of bf'ing troubles. Hang in there, as everyone else says, it will get better!! And we are all here for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#27 of 37 Old 06-16-2006, 07:40 PM

Hi Amanda!

I'm with you on a lot of these issues... luckily BFing has been pretty smooth for us, but one thing I give credit for this is the My Brest Friend pillow (spelled that way on purpose) - you can clip it onto your waist and even walk around while you nurse. I think they sell them at BRU, sadly Amazon doesn't have any right now. I use it at the keyboard and it rests on the keyboard tray and I can even type with two hands while feeding him! Or, I sit in a chair with it (fits much better than a boppy) and I can read, and even use the end of it to support my book sometimes, or I put a firm, thin pillow under the end of it and rest the book on that.

Also, an investment we have made that has been handier than I could have imagined has been a super comfy LaZBoy rocker recliner - I have been sleeping in that with Emerson lying on my chest and I seem to get better sleep there than in bed. It kinda sucks from the sleeping with DH end, but I figure eventually that will happen again...

This might help you, too: pretty early on, I decided that I had to change my definition of nighttime. Once I decided that night = 10PM to 10AM I started getting a lot more sleep. Basically, we take a bath (every other night, since it helps all of us relax and Emerson really enjoys them), Emerson eats and we get into bed around 10PM. Then I feed/change him as needed throughout the night, DH gets up for work at about 7:30, and then Emerson and I stay "in bed" (the recliner is in the bedroom) until 10 AM or until I have 8 hours of sleep. This has been working well for us since probably the third week, after I started being exhausted enough to stay in bed for that long (I had trouble at first since I felt so energetic and couldn't stay in bed for more than two or three cycles).

I also recommend the Moby wrap!! I know you ordered one, but I figured one more cheer for them is fine! After a little practice, they are easier to use than at first. I haven't figured out how to easily rotate Emerson for breastfeeding, but I hope I can figure that out! Eli's_mommy, if you have any advice on this, I'd love to hear it!!

L'lee reading.gif ~ C geek.gif ~ E broc1.gif May, 2006 ~ Rjoy.gif12/29/2011nocirc.gif goorganic.jpg ecbaby2.gif homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#28 of 37 Old 06-16-2006, 08:15 PM

Hi Amanda,
I saw this thread in the new posts and I remember you from The One Thread waaaay back when. I hope you don't mind me chiming in here.

I went through the exact same bf problems with ds - the cracking, bleeding, thrush and vasospasm. I even wound up with a bout of mastitis before it was all over. What you are going through really stinks. I am so sorry. I totally remember that sinking feeling of dread when ds would open his mouth and want to nurse again. The pain was so terrible for those first few weeks - physically of course, but also emotionally because I felt like I wasn't being a "good" mom and properly bonding with my new little guy.

There are some things I wanted to share with you and for the ease of your Mama-to-a-newborn mind (and my Mama-to-a-nutty-toddler mind!) I'll just list them:

- For us, bf got a lot better around 6 weeks. There were still some issues but the pain subsided and I finally got the hang of latching him on right every time. Fwiw, I nursed him until he was 2.5 years old.

- Have you seen a lactation consultant? I can't recommend this enough. Try to find an IBCLC if you can. If one LC doesn't help 100%, call another one and another until you find the right one to help you. For us, it was LC #4 that finally truly helped and I swear, it was like the clouds parted and light shone down upon us while angels played harps. Her fee was so worth it.

- Vasospasm. Ouch. In my case, I have large nipples, so ds's mouth was too tiny to avoid chomping on them while nursing. The pain was less when his mouth grew but I don't think the vasospasm ever went away. I definitely got more used to it though and finally got to a point where it hardly bothered me.

- Thrush, also not fun. Sounds like you are doing the right thing with your diet and the chux. I also sprayed dilute vinegar on my nipples after nursing and let dry before packing them back up. Sunlight on your nipples is also supposed to work wonders if you can pull that off. I remember taking capryllic acid, garlic oil, and GSE tablets in addition to the Diflucan. I forget the dosing schedule I was on for the Diflucan, but it should be somthing like 2 or 3 pills for the first x days and then 1x/day for another week (?) after that. If this doesn't sound similar to what you're doing, you need to get your routine changed. ETA: Dr. Jack Newman advises "fluconazole 400 mg as a first dose, followed by 100 mg twice daily until you are pain free for a full week, which usually means at least two weeks."

- As far as different nursing postions, I'd say proceed with caution. I nursed ds sitting up at night for the longest time because football was the only position that worked for us. This is also something that an IBCLC can help you learn.

- Sleep deprivation is such a huge thing. I wish I had an answer for you. So many people say to sleep whenever the baby does and there is a lot of truth to that.

- Someone else mentioned PPD and I completely agree that you need to watch for that. I have btdt after all of our bf and transition-to-parenthood issues and it wasn't fun but we made it through (after letting it go untreated for over a year, not a good idea). What about a post-partum doula? She could watch the babe while you get the rest you need, maybe help with the housework a bit and also be a good gauge of how you are doing PPD-wise. If you can swing that, I think it's an excellent idea.

- While one-handed bf is still a future goal, how about books on tape? Music really helped me relax while actually bf. Also, Netflix is an awesome service. They mail DVDs to your house and you send them back in prepaid mailers for a monthly fee. I wish I would have watched more movies before ds was mobile! We get free trial codes every now and then, so if they aren't currently offering a free trial on their site, PM me and I'll find you a code.

- Don't forget to give yourself the love and credit that you deserve in all of this. Your dedication to bf your daughter in the face of all these challenges is truly admirable. You have already proven yourself as an amazing Mama by making this commitment to give her the best even though it is so hard right now. It's easy to get overwhelmed with the negative, but please do your best to stay positive and in the moment. Right now is difficult but it will get better soon and it will be like a whole new world.

Please don't hesitate to PM me if there's anything I can do for you. It might feel like you are alone with all these bf challenges but you are not. I wish you nothing but the best and am sending you lots of die yeastie die vibes.
#29 of 37 Old 06-16-2006, 09:01 PM

Just wanted to send a shout out of support from due in August. It is so hard at first when you have "issues" (my son had major food allergies so my diet also became very limited). It can feel so isolating. I listened to a lot of music and sat outside as much as I could and I found that really helped my mood. Once you are comfortable with your sling you will find it to be quite to conversation starter with other like-minded moms. You will find people with similar values. This has probably felt like the longest few weeks of your life, but the time will fly. My son is almost 4, and I can't believe it. I was so overwhelmed at first. You have plenty of time to evolve into the kind of mom you want to be. Hang in there!
#30 of 37 Old 06-17-2006, 05:42 PM

Hi, Amanda!

One thing that makes it get better (I think) that others haven't mentioned is that it helps when baby gets better head control - she can 'help' get in a good position better. That'll come by 3 months at the latest, I think - possibly sooner.

Also, there's a good chance that diaper changes will become less complicated by 6 - 8 weeks - fewer of them as bladder enlarges, and for my 2 kids, less frequent poop! For me, that made night nursing much easier b/c the less time I'm awake, the easier it is for me to go back to sleep. I second the "maybe baby needs to touch you to sleep better/longer" thoughts others have shared. DS#1 needed to touch me or another person to stay asleep until about 20 months old. A co-sleeper would have been pointless. DS#2 (6 weeks! how did that happen???) is much calmer and could probably adapt to a more distant sleeping arrangement - but I'm used to sleeping with a head next to my breast so we're sticking with that :-)

I'll send "enough sleep" vibes your way . . . I live so far out in the boonies I can't help with the f2f socializing, but I would if I could . . .

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page