week of 6/24, Life w/Babe check in - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 87 Old 06-26-2006, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello May Mamas. My goodness how time flies! Another week has gone by.

We have been insanely busy w/end of school year events. We just finished w/out last two biggies, high school graduation for my dn and dance recital for my dd, so life should slow down (and calm down!) now.

We were having a grad party for dn and our new babe had been really overstimulated lately w/all the activities(which turns out to be hell for me, since she will cry for hours in the evening after a lot of activity). I told dh, "No one is going to hold her today except us." He basically said, "Good luck w/that." But I was serious. I used our hotsling most of the time. Between that and NIP, no one bothered us!

Nurse Laurie, I am so out of the loop, please tell about the VS nurse in. I haven't even heard of it.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 87 Old 06-26-2006, 10:07 AM

Not Laurie but I'm following the VS stuff as it happened somewhat locally...

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=472764
#3 of 87 Old 06-26-2006, 10:08 AM

Erika ~ Hope you got some sleep last night.

MCB ~ I don't know the bikini twist (must look it up). I'm a trifold girl.

BBM ~ Great news about the pouch!!
#4 of 87 Old 06-26-2006, 11:49 AM

I think this is the first time I've posted on the weekly check-in with 2 hands!

Last night Phoebe ROLLED OVER! Yikes. She was sleeping on her back and as she was waking up for a feeding, she managed to wiggle herself onto her belly. It seems too early for this! She's only 6 weeks today.

This weekend we took her to her first folk festival. It was a very low-key family-friendly event where we parked our chairs and stroller in one place as home base and roamed around with Phoebe in our arms or the front carrier. She was fantastic and we had a wonderful time. The night before we picked up one of the performers at the airport, which is an hour away, and the flight came in at 11:30pm, so we left Phoebe at home for the first time. Her schedule wasn't affected at all and she never knew we were gone; once she fell asleep DH's cousin stayed with her and when we got back she was just waking up to eat. So she didn't mind at all. I, on the other hand, cried when we left the house!

A lot of people had told me that this all gets easier after 6 weeks. I think they were right. Phoebe has a nice, predictable schedule, I feel good and I've adjusted to the lack of sleep, my body has finally returned to some kind of normal...it's all good.
#5 of 87 Old 06-26-2006, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmama
Not Laurie but I'm following the VS stuff as it happened somewhat locally...

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=472764
Thank you Erin. Boy, that whole VS scene pisses me off! That's why I like Nordstroms - they have a great Mother's Lounge.

#6 of 87 Old 06-26-2006, 01:15 PM

Max ~ I hear you on the overstimulation = major evening fussies. I bought two of those swaddle me blanket things yesterday and Kirsten seems to like being wrapped up really tight. Helps a lot during those fussy times. I wish she was a comfort nurser like her brother and sister were. She just nurses to eat and then gets pissed off when milk continues to come and she's not hungry.

Overall we're doing well. Kirsten smiled at me for the first time yesterday morning. Melt my heart. The other two children are doing great! They have adjusted so well to the addition of their new sister. I'm absolutely amazed and so happy. Three kids is way easier than I expected, at least so far.

On the VS subject ~ have they even LOOKED at their own window displays recently? You can't nurse there, but they can show their emaciated manequins in thongs and tiny push up bras??? Talk about ironic.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#7 of 87 Old 06-26-2006, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee
On the VS subject ~ have they even LOOKED at their own window displays recently? You can't nurse there, but they can show their emaciated manequins in thongs and tiny push up bras??? Talk about ironic.
Exactly. "Customers might be offended by your breasts"? It's a LINGERIE STORE...the whole place is about breasts, for crying out loud.

NurseLaurie...I finally checked out the pictures of your babe. What a little cutie pie!

Whew. We're having a rough day. Dd has been having some fussing/screaming/pulling off issues while nursing. We've had good nursing sessions and bad ones, but today was just awful...inconsolable crying for most of the day (after several perfectly fine nursings last night...go figure). At 1 o'clock, she latched on, ate happily for 15 minutes (unusual these days), then fell asleep. Woke up 5 minutes later, spit up, and screamed for an hour until she finally just exhausted herself and passed out. I feel so horrible for her...I don't know anything to do other than holding her while she screams and trying different positions to make her more comfortable (the hair dryer also helps to calm her sometimes). It's absolutely horrible to hear your baby scream and not to be able to do anything about it.

I have a call into her pediatrician, so hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. We took her in last Sunday (yes, we have a really great ped!) and the ped didn't see too much bloating or other signs of tummy trouble, but she's been spitting up a lot more this week and it's always that thick, white, partially digested spit up, rather than just milk. I think we're going to try Hyland's Colic Tablets, and also see if the ped thinks this might be reflux. I really want my contented baby back! Sigh...if it's not one thing, it's another. Just when I fall in love with my baby, after our rocky start, she becomes miserable. Oy.

Oh...a question. Dd gets really pissed off either in the sling or the stroller after about 10 minutes. I'm wondering if that's a sign of tummy problems as well (i.e., that she doesn't like that bent-in-the-middle, sitting position). Haven't yet mastered the Moby Wrap, but it's on my to-do list...like everything else!

Hope everyone else is doing well!
#8 of 87 Old 06-26-2006, 04:47 PM

Geez, that came on fast, too. Friday night it started killing to nurse on one side, and not being a very sucessful pumper in the recent past, I just thought, "oh well, I'll figure it out in the morning" and gave up nursing on that side for the night....big, BIG mistake. I awoke to a raging fever ( I usually run about 96-97 degrees so to see 101 and 102 on the thermometer was a shocker : ): and a rock-hard breast. DH had to go to his 2nd job so I waited until he left and then called my mom.

She came and basically took care of the baby (at our house) all day while I got in the shower for a half an hour and worked on massaging out that breast, getting soft enough to pump and then nurse on. I called my clinic and praise the LORD my regular doc was on call that weekend and called in a script for antibiotics. By then I felt good about taking them b/c I was soooooo sick and achy I couldn't even pick up the baby

By 9 saturday night I think my fever finally broke, although I still had a nasty red hot spot on my breast, and I tried to nurse or pump both sides every 2 hours.

Sunday brought more just laying around the house half-naked and nursing...did I mention we're into 99-degree weather and our house has no AC, too? Finally at 5 I said, "I can't take being here anymore, can we go to a movie?" and miracle of miracles, Rosie slept through the whole thing!

So, I'm just trying to rest, eat healthy, take mega-doses of vitamin C and nurse well. Ooops, now she's awake, I'll do personals later.
#9 of 87 Old 06-26-2006, 07:51 PM

Erika-I'm glad you said that about baby nursing more because of heat, it makes me feel better about our 1 3/4 hour nursing sessions !!

All who've weighed in on the CD disscussion-does anyone find that twisting the dipe (a la the "bikini) causes more rash? I just like to get others' experience although I keep having to remind mysef that what's best is what works best for us...I just have to figure out what that is!

Oh shoot, she's up again!!! This babe must not appreciate what MDC does for her mama, she always interupts my posting!
#10 of 87 Old 06-26-2006, 08:44 PM

nak...

corina ~ i had mastitis when ds was a week old. not fun. a little tip someon gave me...a disposable diaper soaked in very hot water makes a great compress.

so i put ds down on his belly to nap today and omg did he sleep....like two hours!!! and i\t was at the same time dd was napping so i actually got some time to myself!!

even though i know there are lots of belly-sleepin' babes around mdc...i still feel a little uncomfortable about it so i stayed in the room with him. (he was on the changing table in our computer room so i was forced to hang out and surf mdc )
#11 of 87 Old 06-26-2006, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the hint on the bikini twist mamas, I've been using the newspaper fold but babyboy hates all the fabric between his legs, so we'll see how it goes with this new style. I sure hope it doesn't increase the rash- we're battling one too- and it's worse with the heat...

Today seems to have been all about dipers and pee and poop Ari has been filling diapers non-stop and he pooped on my new pants : while i was breastfeeding him (the covers that fit him are in the wash) and then had a huge pee that arced right over the change table and onto a pile of clean dipes! i guess you're not really a mama until you've been covered head to toe in pee and poop and breastmilk and drool!

ecoteat- folkfests and babies are fun huh? we also hit our first folkfest this weekend... Ari was great, mostly conked in the sling despite the music and bussle... and got in a bit of dancing too. It was hard to get from point A to point B though, everyone wanted to admire the baby!

I'm curious how much other people's babies sleep at a time. I keep meeting moms whose babies sleep all night and mine doesn't sleep more than 2 hours at a time- 3 maybe if we're really lucky. this is normal right?

I hope the week is good for all of you...
#12 of 87 Old 06-26-2006, 09:19 PM

Hey,mama's.Things are going well here.(Other than Eli's congestion : )I'm feeling pretty darn good!This pp is a breeze after the last one!Tandem nursing and #3 was SOOOOOO HARD!!!!!I feel more with the program than I have in years,LITERALLY!Which is a good thing,cos we are trying to sell our house.815 sq ft is officially too small!
Eli is our first baby with any hair,and now he's got a receding hairline to his ears. So cute!He has also already out grown a whole round of clothes!he's snug in the 3-6 mo,but 0-3 is outa here!Not even one month old yet!(Cloth dipes are a factor here).He's chubbing up pretty quick too, which is fun to watch-we need a chubby smilie!

:::
#13 of 87 Old 06-26-2006, 09:32 PM

Soudsn like we all have little chunky babies! DS is also a snug 3-6 - I have been scouring ebay to get him some more for cheap. LOL.

I am having a bit of a tough time with DS NEVER wanting to be put down. and I mean NEVER. Driving is sheer hell. He cries - no matter HOW tired he is - he will NOT sleep unless he's held. CIO is looking pretty tempting these days.: Of course I never could but he is even WORSE than my DD and I didn't think that was possible.

Other than that he's a smiley love-bug! I can't get over how smiley he already is. and yeo - he rolls too and on his tummy commando crawls!!! I gotta keep my eye on him! LOL.
#14 of 87 Old 06-27-2006, 01:08 AM

well not as much sleep as I would have liked last night and looks like tonight is going for a similar pattern....I really do believe its this intense heat, got up to 106 today, I think he sleeps during the day to avoid movement in the heat and then awakes when it starts to cool down, its only 88 now after all.....aw hes up and ready to eat again, ill get back later
#15 of 87 Old 06-27-2006, 01:12 AM

(trying again to post)

Max- on the inconsolable babe. That's no fun at all.

Erin- thanks for the link on the VS stuff, I'm headed to read that next. What a shame, having to browse on MDC all afternoon.

Amy- congrats to Phoebe on her first roll-over. It's over now mama, she's mobile!

Kristina- We just got our first smiles too! I got two big smiles yesterday afternoon and dd1 got a smile this afternoon. Lovin' it! She's cooing more too. Enjoy the grins!

Amanda- to you, you've had a rough start! I hope you can figure out what is bothering poor dd's tummy. Did you check out the reflux thread at Life w/a Babe? (I'm : about the search feature being disabled, it's a real pain )

Corina- I'm glad you're on the mend. That sounds just awful. I haven't found more rash with the bikini twist, actually less because we've sized up to infant PFs and she doesn't get as sopping wet most of the time.

KRS- glad to hear the adjustment to 4 is going well. Gh swears we're done, but I admit that I'm not so sure just yet. We'll give it some time, no hurry for sure because the idea of anything less than a 2-3 year spacing is : for me.

Cheryl- many ... it's tiring when you have a little one that just won't be settled most of the time. Enjoy your little chunker.

Audrey has prickly heat rash most of the time these days because it's so hot usually. And wouldn't you know it, the A/C died in the minivan and I want to barf just thinking about charging the $700 repair so we're trying to hold off until next spring when we get our tax refund.

As for sleeping, we get a couple of 2-3 hour naps, otherwise it's only catnaps. She sleeps great at night though, I'm wondering how that will end up affecting the return of PPAF.

So far, Audrey is really a lot like dd1 was, she's not quite as laid back as dd1 was but definitely easier than ds was. Ds was a real mama's boy for so long, and for the longest time dh couldn't really comfort him at all. I think she's going to be a lil peanut like dd1...
#16 of 87 Old 06-27-2006, 01:12 AM

oh no Erika! I hope you get some sleep tonight.
#17 of 87 Old 06-27-2006, 02:31 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm love, love, loving the Moby! Just got it today. I'll be back to catch up with everyone. I hope the week's starting off well for you ladies!

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#18 of 87 Old 06-27-2006, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Good morning May Mamas.

TaiMarie, 2-3 hour stretches of sleep at this point are definately normal. We usually get one 4 hour stretch, then a 2, then 1. : Of all my babes, this one sleeps the best. (I have never had a baby sleep through the night until weaned.)

KindRedSpirit, I hope Eli is feeling better soon! That sounds really exhausting. If I lived nearby, I'd come hold him for you so you could take a nice, long nap. Regarding allergies, have you read "Is This Your Child?" by Doris Rapp? It is an excellent resource on food allergies, even in BF infants. It truly changed my ds's life.

LuckyLady, I hear ya on the screaming infant in the car. My babe has just started doing that, and it is nerve racking!

Has anyone heard from HappyPants? I hope Finn is doing well.

And how are you NYCVeg? I hope things are settling down for you also.

#19 of 87 Old 06-27-2006, 09:52 AM

Kristina: I cried when Phoebe really smiled at me last week. Now she wakes up every morning all happy and smiles.

Amanda: I think I read somewhere that bending in the middle relaxes the baby's muscles and helps their little tummies. I could be completely wrong on this, but it does seem to relax Phoebe when she's fussy. I'll admit, though, that I'm not dealing with fussiness anything like you are.

Corina: Ugh, mastitis sounds miserable! Take care of yourself! And I'm hesitant to try the diaper twist, too. I don't see how it can hold poop. Maybe at night when she only pees... ?

Taisa: So true about people stopping you to see the baby. I was trying to get up to the front to see my students sing and we couldn't go 10 steps without running into someone I knew that wanted to peek inside the Bjorn!

Cheryl: It's awful to listen to crying in the car when you can't do much about it!

Max: That sounds just like Phoebe. But last night she did a SIX hour stretch, then 2, then 1. It took an hour to get her back to sleep at 3:30am, but we are pretty well rested this morning.
#20 of 87 Old 06-27-2006, 03:07 PM

Oh Mamas...I need some hugs or something...

I think I have ppd...Last night dh went back into work for 2 hours and Judah would not settle down for me....Nothing I tried worked..He is usually like this for me...I just started bawling to and I ended up putting him in his bouncy seat so I could take a break or I felt like things might get ugly....When dh got home...he was able to put Judah right to sleep...I just started bawling again about how I didn't want the baby no more...He hates me...He never goes to sleep for him...He never ever wants to be put down...He hates carriers when he is at home ....I feel like an awful Mama...I miss my ds#1 so much...I feel like I never have time for him anymore...Me and him used to be best friends...: ....

On a better note...Judah then slept for 6 hours so I was able to get some sleep and I feel better today...I am worried though...I don't think I felt like this with ds#1....I don't know whether to say it is ppd or just lack of sleep and the baby wouldn't settle down...

Ok...enough rambling here...
#21 of 87 Old 06-27-2006, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *andiflipping*
Oh Mamas...I need some hugs or something...

I think I have ppd...Last night dh went back into work for 2 hours and Judah would not settle down for me....Nothing I tried worked..He is usually like this for me...I just started bawling to and I ended up putting him in his bouncy seat so I could take a break or I felt like things might get ugly....When dh got home...he was able to put Judah right to sleep...I just started bawling again about how I didn't want the baby no more...He hates me...He never goes to sleep for him...He never ever wants to be put down...He hates carriers when he is at home ....I feel like an awful Mama...I miss my ds#1 so much...I feel like I never have time for him anymore...Me and him used to be best friends...: ....

On a better note...Judah then slept for 6 hours so I was able to get some sleep and I feel better today...I am worried though...I don't think I felt like this with ds#1....I don't know whether to say it is ppd or just lack of sleep and the baby wouldn't settle down...

Ok...enough rambling here...
to you, mama!! In my own experience, I wouldn't say it's PPD, I think it takes a bit to adjust to having another baby, whe3n you're used to one, and it's hard to get to know this little being that you've carried for 9 months, ya know? I would be willing to bet that 95% of us have felt the exact same way, I know I did. And I do think that not getting enough sleep plays a HUGE role in that too. Hang in there mama, it will get better!!!!!!!

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#22 of 87 Old 06-27-2006, 04:58 PM

Hi, everyone. I haven't been posting as we've been busy having fun in the sun and getting into our new routine, but I check in when I can! Hugs to all the mamas that are struggling through this transition with new babes and for those dealing with other challenges.

We're doing great here. Iris is up to 10 lbs at 4 weeks and sleeps great and nurses great. Still dealing with transition with our 2.75 yo dd1, but that's going better every day. And she's using the potty!

Of course, Iris is now awake...talk soon, mamas.

ETA: For those of you dealing with PPD...please check out the "a true natural remedy?" thread in the PPD board.

Kat - mama to Clara (9/29/03): & Iris (5/30/06)
#23 of 87 Old 06-27-2006, 05:28 PM

We are doing well here - as one of the late May babies who decided to wait until June, Käthe is only 2 and a half weeks old. We are just starting to get into a routine, more sleeping and less pooping at night. (The night feedings don't bother me, but that pooping every 10 minutes for an hour in the middle of the night just kills me.) We are mostly over a cold that the whole family passed around when Käthe was just a couple of days old, though she's still a bit snuffly. She's up more than a pound from her birth weight, though still not as big as dd1 was at birth. We may get a longer run out of some of the newborn clothes. I am really glad that this babe turned out to be a girl - a boy would have been wonderful, but I feel like I know how to do girls, and I am glad to get another run through all the girl clothes. (I don't think that MIL has gone shopping once without getting something for dd1's wardrobe, so I have tons of clothes.) As it turned out, my dds' birthdays are only 5 days apart, so everything is the right season.
Käthe just woke up, so there goes my internet time. Take care everone.
#24 of 87 Old 06-27-2006, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi ladies! Whew! I am worn out! I've finally been getting some stuff done around the house and that feels pretty darn good lemme tell ya. Oh bless you dear Moby Wrap....

Little Milky's sleeping for longer stretches again now, 2-4 hours. I put him in this thing and usually it's like a narcotic for him or something.

I started to feel the beginnings of being burned out today, with him not really napping and being cranky a lot over this past week from the micro naps. Finally got a wee bit of time to meeself as DH had the little chunkster sleeping on him today for one of his naps. I'm feeling a lot better, though I feel kinda guilty b/c I haven't really been able to spend much adult time with DH. We've talked about it and he understands, I just don't want him to feel neglected KWIM.

Ack, personals next time, the wee one is up and fussin' for feedin'....

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#25 of 87 Old 06-27-2006, 09:09 PM

hi everybody! thanks for thinking of me, max. i've been lurking, trying to keep up with everybody, but haven't taken the time to post an update lately. for some reason, i've been spending my computer time playing the free game trials on bigfishgames.com. in fact, i've downloaded so many that they've gone from giving me a 60 minute demo to just 30 minutes. i'm too cheap to actually buy them.

anyway, we're doing really well around here. today is finn's one month adjusted birthday. my mil and her mom came to visit and we went out book shopping. mil is throwing finn a library party in a few weeks (we never got a baby shower) so we wanted to see what we would get for him. it was nice, because gmil sat w/finn in the bookstore and i got to browse. usually when we go, i'm stuck carrying him around b/c he doesn't like the hotsling and it's kinda hard to browse for books one-handed! gmil hadn't seen finn since he came home from the hospital and the second she came in the door she headed straight for the bathroom to wash her hands and then sat talking to him for the longest time. i love this woman! she was so delighted to finally get to hold him.

so i think i'm gonna sell my hotsling. i wanted to like it, but ds just can't seem to get comfy in it. also, who was i kidding, but after carrying a messenger bag for so long and always having a sore back because of it, i really need something that distributes the weight evenly over my shoulders. so i'm thinking a baby hawk mei tai, but first i'll have to come up with the funding.

i'm still trying to get the hang of cding. i have a bunch of hand-me-down cpfs and various types of covers, as well as some fitteds. our main problem right now is that that he either wakes up early from his nap b/c he's wet, or sleeps the entire time and totally and completely soaks the cpf. also, i only have one cover that i really like. so i guess the next order of business is to get some doublers and a few more covers. does anybody have any specific covers that they really like? the one that i like is the bummi's super whisper wrap.

at the last dr appt a week ago, finn was 8#12.5 ounces, which was a 1.4 ounce/day weight gain over the previous month. so by now he's probably 9.5#! my little bitty guy is getting so big.

ending this now before i ramble on for another few pages. :
#26 of 87 Old 06-27-2006, 11:06 PM

^^^I don't dig my hotsling either like I thought I would...I do however LOVE my babyhawk...I say go for when you get the $$$$$
#27 of 87 Old 06-27-2006, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happypants
does anybody have any specific covers that they really like? the one that i like is the bummi's super whisper wrap.
I like the MotherEase Airflow covers (snap covers) but if you really like the Bummis SWW, you'd probably like the MotherEase Rikki wrap too. That gives you more options if you're watching for them on the TP.
#28 of 87 Old 06-28-2006, 11:28 AM

I like LiteWraps the best. They fit Phoebe well and I like that they have gussets in the legs. I have found I don't like snaps; they aren't adjustable enough.

We are at a funny in-between stage with diapers. The infant pfs get soaked too quickly and the next size up doesn't fit in the wraps that fit. The NB LiteWraps still fit, but the smalls don't yet. I have a few doublers, which help, but I guess I should get/make a few more. DH decided he really like the one Bumkins AIO we have, so I bought a bunch of mediums on eBay that she'll be fitting into in a few weeks I think.
#29 of 87 Old 06-28-2006, 11:48 AM

andiflipping--Just wanted to offer a hug. I've had a LOT of days like that (although they get fewer and fewer). It doesn't sound like PPD to me (not that I'm an expert). I think it's very easy to get overwhelmed at times and cry, particularly when baby is unhappy and you're exhausted.

We had a first yesterday. I peed with dd in the sling. :
Ah, the things you never imagined doing before you had a baby...
#30 of 87 Old 06-28-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg

We had a first yesterday. I peed with dd in the sling. :
Ah, the things you never imagined doing before you had a baby...
Go Amanda! You're right, the things we do.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page