Week of 7/2, Life w/Babe check in - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 60 Old 07-06-2006, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hugs to everybody w/mastitis. I have never had it - but I have come close. I'm a little worried b/c I am going to be in a wedding this weekend . . .

We (me, DH, 28 mo DS, & 9 week DS) are flying about 2 hrs. DH is doing the photography, I am a bridesmatron. The bride asked us all to be creative and pick our own dresses in green or purple - so I have a lovely, flowy teal dress with two layers which I cut nursing holes in, and my purple Maya Wrap, with a green onesie for the babe. But I can't wear a bra under the dress, which always seems to produce blockages for me :-(

Anywhoo . . .

Happy baby days & nights to all . . .

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 60 Old 07-06-2006, 10:11 PM

Turns out I have terribly cracked nipples. : I've been so focused on the thrush, I didn't even realize that those giant gaps I was seeing were not normal.

Okay, sports fans...now taking bets on which breastfeeding problem I'll have next. You've only got a couple to pick from, so choose carefully.

Note: I'm actually feeling pretty sanguine about the whole thing. I'm hoping that the pain I'm still feeling is from the cracks and not the thrush--which all in all would be a good thing.

My SIL was telling me yesterday about HER SIL, who quit bfing after a couple of weeks because "she had a c-section and she just couldn't get comfortable and she just didn't like pumping." She (her SIL) has already decided that she definitely won't bf future children. Oh, and she's a nutritionist. It made me want to . I mean, I'm SOOOO sorry she couldn't get comfy...'cause it's been a freakin' picnic over here. (Disclaimer: I realize that's completely judgmental and unfair of me.)
#33 of 60 Old 07-07-2006, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg
(Disclaimer: I realize that's completely judgmental and unfair of me.)
You're entitled!

Thankfully the migraine is gone... it never hit full-on, just hung around like a threatening thunderstorm that never hits.
#34 of 60 Old 07-07-2006, 02:36 AM

ooooh, I'm matron of honor in my friend's wedding in two weeks. I'm nervous that A is going to get hungry in the middle of the vows or while the photography is taking pics of the wedding party.
#35 of 60 Old 07-07-2006, 04:27 AM

Great idea about the "make your own" nursing dress Mamabeakley!

I hit one of our two thrift stores today ISO some more nursing friendly tops. I really cannot justify "real" nursing clothes in our budget, but something patterned to hide the inevitable milk stains would be nice.

That's the one thing about mamahood I cannot abide: the smell of sour milk/spit up. I change my shirt about six times a day b/c I realize its inevitable, but it majorly bugs me.

Amanda-I went to type "hang in there" in response to your post and realized that would be like the third time I've posted that! When all your BF issues get resolved I think you need to throw a major party!
#36 of 60 Old 07-07-2006, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

OK mamas, I have a poop question - today is the third day my almost 7 week old babe has gone w/out a poop. She is plently gasy & grunty. The gas is coming out, but no poops. Any other babies doing this? Is it normal? I remember my ds going several days, but that was when he was on solids.

We tried out the new pond beach club yesterday. It was great. The kids were lovin' it. There was lots of shade, right next to the water for me & babe. And no one seemed troubled by my NIP (not that I really care, but it helps to have a friendly environment). There were a couple other mamas w/babies there too.

For the mamas who are in weddings soon - . Kuddos to you! Weddings are a lot of work. I hope they go well.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#37 of 60 Old 07-07-2006, 11:36 AM

Oh man Amanda- I am such a winp I would have probably given up nursing with all the problems you have had - cracked nipples HURT HURT HURT. I think you are a saint girl.

Friday! YAY. Fast week. DH informed me he has to be in Boston week after next. That should be loads of fun.: It's actually OK until bedtime. Putting 2 to bed is a pain. Oh well.

No problems here! Except for the little guy STILL hating to be in the car. What a pain that is! And in a few weekends we are driving to AZ to see my sister for my nephews birthday --- I am hoping by then he will not hate it so much. Poor little guy.
#38 of 60 Old 07-07-2006, 11:37 AM

Hi everyone .

I'm still trying to recover from mastitis. The first antibiotic they gave me made me vomit, so I went to urgent-care last night and got a new prescription. I'm still weak, achy and nauseous and my breast is still hot and red. The fever is almost gone though. If I'm not better by tomorrow morning, the doctor recommended that I go into the ER for IV abx. Ugh....

My milk supply has taken a major nosedive on the effected side too, so I'm spending the next few days bringing it back up. Nurse, nurse, nurse. Kirsten gets so frustrated because that breast was my big producer before.

Mamabeakley ~ your dress sounds really pretty. Love your modifications!

Amanda ~ although those nipple cracks don't so fun, they're probably better to deal with than thrush. And you have every right to be a wee bit judgemental of your SIL!

Max ~ we belonged to a wonderful pond beach club when I was growing up. I LOVED it there! You don't happen to live in NJ, do you?! That's where our club was. I wish we had something similar here where I am in Illinois. Alas, I just have the town pool, in all its unshaded concrete splendor.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#39 of 60 Old 07-07-2006, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*max*~
OK mamas, I have a poop question - today is the third day my almost 7 week old babe has gone w/out a poop. She is plently gasy & grunty. The gas is coming out, but no poops. Any other babies doing this? Is it normal? I remember my ds going several days, but that was when he was on solids.

we have had the same thing here!Watch out! There is probably a major blowout in your future. He has done this twice now-no poop for a couple of days and then it all comes out at once! Wyatt doesn't seem to bothered by this new pattern though-Of course no diaper on earth could hold that much poop so I have been having to watch out for it

We are all doing pretty good here this morning-The past week has been bad with all of us taking turns with the stomach flu : Everyone but the babe caught it. I am under the assumption that BF helps protect from contagious things like that-am I right? I was hoping it wasn't just an old wives tale.

I am hoping to go out with dh this weekend if my friend can sit for us. We will see. I would just love to get some grownup time for an hour or two with dh. I think I have just been overwhelmed by puke all week-every bed has been stripped and washed a few times-and I still have couch cushions drying out- whew! I soo glad that is over!

by the way has anyone noticed that we are about to lose our due date club? June is already gone.

mother, wife, sister, friend--step mom to one grown man and mommy to 3 boys-ages 19, 10 and 4
#40 of 60 Old 07-07-2006, 01:30 PM

Okay, this has gone on long enough.

All May mamas are hereby gifted with no more breastfeeding issues, no more mastitis and only happy, sunshine-y growing babes (and older siblings).

#41 of 60 Old 07-07-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnutter

by the way has anyone noticed that we are about to lose our due date club? June is already gone.
Nooooo! I'm having hormonal issues here, I'm suddenly missing pregnancy very much and just so sad that these early weeks have gone by so quickly. Dree is already 7 weeks. I'm so proud and happy and yet sad that she's growing so fast. :
#42 of 60 Old 07-07-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I'm having hormonal issues here, I'm suddenly missing pregnancy very much and just so sad that these early weeks have gone by so quickly. Dree is already 7 weeks. I'm so proud and happy and yet sad that she's growing so fast.
Oh I hear ya. I was just saying to DH last night....Quinn is not a "newborn" anymore. He'll be 2 mos tomorrow (was 8 weeks on Monday...never know how to count weeks or months?? ) and he's just such a BIG guy that he looks even older. I can't believe how fast it's going. :
#43 of 60 Old 07-07-2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma
Nooooo! I'm having hormonal issues here, I'm suddenly missing pregnancy very much and just so sad that these early weeks have gone by so quickly. Dree is already 7 weeks. I'm so proud and happy and yet sad that she's growing so fast. :
I kind of miss being pregnant as well. It's really surprising to me. But I had such an easy comfortable pregnancy...and there's something so nice about the mystery of your baby and the intimacy of your relationship then.

I'm not, I'm sheepish to say, sad that the early weeks are passing. Honestly, I can't WAIT until dd is 2 months old and I REALLY can't wait until she's three months old. I'm just looking forward to the days when my breasts heal, when dd grows a bit so her mouth issues cause fewer problems, when she can hold her head better so I can latch her in more positions, when she's really really responsive, when I can wear shirts again (!) and the weather is cooler and we can get out more. Wow...that sounded like a big complaint, and I actually didn't mean it as one! Seriously, though, I think dh and I are just not so much "newborn" people. Which we kinda knew in advance.

JayGee...hope the new meds help! I had the same problem with the meds I was on for thrush (allergic reaction).
#44 of 60 Old 07-07-2006, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg
I'm not, I'm sheepish to say, sad that the early weeks are passing. Honestly, I can't WAIT until dd is 2 months old and I REALLY can't wait until she's three months old. I'm just looking forward to the days when my breasts heal, when dd grows a bit so her mouth issues cause fewer problems, when she can hold her head better so I can latch her in more positions, when she's really really responsive, when I can wear shirts again (!) and the weather is cooler and we can get out more. Wow...that sounded like a big complaint, and I actually didn't mean it as one! Seriously, though, I think dh and I are just not so much "newborn" people. Which we kinda knew in advance.
Truly, there's nothing wrong with that. I have a friend with whom I joked recently... I have a much easier time giving birth and dealing with a newborn/infant whereas she is just fabulous with toddlers/preschoolers so I joked that we should just trade kids during those stages where we don't do so well. I couldn't really do it, but it just goes to show that someone may appear to be SuperMom in some areas but struggle in others.

To more SuperMom moments.
#45 of 60 Old 07-07-2006, 03:06 PM

hello all I'm pleased to say my mastitis is finally gone...now just keeping fingers crossed that it does not come back a third time (please No)....I took William in for his 2 month check-up yesterday (he was 2 months on the 4th and actually hit 9weeks yesterday, i never know either if i should be counting in weeks or months so there's both for you) he weighed in at 13 lbs 4 ounces nakie, almost double his birthweight (90th %) yet was only 23 &1/4 " (70th %)....so he's growing well....now if only I could get him to sleep well....Last night wasn't such a good night, Nathalie did not want to go to bed, and finally gave in at 9:45 PM William woke up at 10: 15 and nursed until about 11, and then woke up at 130, 330, and 530 looking back at my notes on dd, she was sleeping 7-9 hour stretches at night by 9 weeks, I guess I really should have counted my blessings w/ her more lol...hope everyone is doing well, and i can't believe another week has already gone by....only 3 more weeks b/f i have to return to work
#46 of 60 Old 07-07-2006, 08:10 PM

We just went to our last midwife appointment today, which was a little sad. It is weird to gradually slip away from having a newborn and a wonderful excuse to stay in bed all day cuddling a tiny baby. I can't believe I'm actually a mom now, with a slowly returning life of my own. Whenever I catch my reflection with Phoebe I think I don't look old/mature enough to be a mother, but I'm 30! So what's that about?!
#47 of 60 Old 07-07-2006, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
nak

hiya ladies! good to see everone's more or less doing well.

kristina i hope the new meds work out.

amy i know just what you mean. i'm going to be 29 in a few months and i'm like huh? this tiny lil' person's gonna be calling me what? mama? nahhhh...

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#48 of 60 Old 07-08-2006, 01:26 AM

Great news! I feel 1000x better! And my poor booby is looking better too. Kirsten nursed ALL DAY today ~ guess she knows better than anyone how to bring my supply back up .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#49 of 60 Old 07-08-2006, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat
I can't believe I'm actually a mom now, with a slowly returning life of my own. Whenever I catch my reflection with Phoebe I think I don't look old/mature enough to be a mother, but I'm 30! So what's that about?!
I can so relate to this ecoteat, I can't believe it either- whenever I go somewhere with Ari on my own I keep looking at him and thinking "mygod! I'm this baby's mama!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatsbaby
All May mamas are hereby gifted with no more breastfeeding issues, no more mastitis and only happy, sunshine-y growing babes (and older siblings).
could we add "no teething" to this list? My baby just started teething today and it just seems way too soon. He's been such a happy little guy the past few days but he woke up out of a dead sleep screaming bloody murder today- scared the pants off me since he's a fusser, but not a screamer. He seemed in a lot of pain and I just couldn't figure out what was wrong for such a long time and I was crying too- feeling so worried...then dh asked if it could be teething and I put my finger in his mouth and sure enough there are a couple little bumps in there and he stopped crying as soon as I started rubbing them... poor little chestnut- he just seems so young and it obviously hurts a lot...I'm hoping that it passes soon, I know it can come and go for awhile before they really pop out... we leave in a week for a big trip across the country to attend dh's brothers wedding and I really hope he isn't teething then...

other than that, things are well here- not so hot so we're getting out more...still lovin this babe of mine!

...and I don't want to loose this due date club could we keep this thread going on the life with babes board?
#50 of 60 Old 07-08-2006, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

It looks like we can still have our thread in the archives subforum. I just checked and I see that others continue to post on their DDC archived forums. Would people like to do that, or should we make the big move to "Life With Babe"?

Kristina - hooray! So glad you kicked the mastitis, and that you have such a smart babe.

taimarie - oh no, teething already! Mine were early teethers too (but not this early, poor you), and they definately had all the symptoms for quite a while (like a couple months I think) before the teeth actually showed up.

Have a great day everyone! We are off to the beach. :

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#51 of 60 Old 07-08-2006, 11:10 AM

yay for mastitis moving out of here!!!

taimarie ~ teething already???? yikes!

ecoteat ~ i was sad at my final mw apt too. : i do have my annual physical in november to look forward to (never thought i'd say that ).

Quote:
amy i know just what you mean. i'm going to be 29 in a few months and i'm like huh? this tiny lil' person's gonna be calling me what? mama?
it's the best sound on the planet. until they are two and they whine it maaaaaaama....maaaaaaama....maaaaaaama 100 times a day.

my guy was very unsettled last night. he didn't cry...just kicked and squirmed and lunged himself around the bed. dh and dd made me breakfast in bed (today's our 6th anniversary ) so ds and i could sleep in. ds has been a super-pooper this morning so i guess that's what was bothering him.

we're having a family overnight at a hotel tonight. not exactly a romantic get-away with two kids but it should be fun....pool for the kiddos....hottub for the parents and a/c for all of us!!! tomorrow we're going to the circus (a really beautiful one-ring one....lots of cool acrobatics)!

Quote:
It looks like we can still have our thread in the archives subforum. I just checked and I see that others continue to post on their DDC archived forums. Would people like to do that, or should we make the big move to "Life With Babe"?
whatever you all decide is fine with me. i'll find you when i get back from our mini-vacation!!
#52 of 60 Old 07-08-2006, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
okay I just noticed one of the premie mom in the june ddc is 8 wks pg. I have to say that freaked me out!!. We haven't started using protection yet. So no more bd until we do.

Mom to 6 with #7 on the way Sept 2014
#53 of 60 Old 07-08-2006, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakna4
okay I just noticed one of the premie mom in the june ddc is 8 wks pg.
You're kidding?! : I was thinking we were relatively safe until my MW said she got her period back at 2 months each time, even with nursing every 2-3 hours round the clock! And now to hear this, well, I guess it's a good thing I bought condoms today (which I haven't used in many years...I'm looking forward to being able to chart my cycles again.)
#54 of 60 Old 07-08-2006, 08:12 PM

thats crazy i couldnt imagine.....my dh had a vasectomy so no worries for us
#55 of 60 Old 07-08-2006, 09:14 PM

: The idea of getting pregnant before my baby is 1 year old is just terrifying to me. That reminds me that I should check the condom stash and make sure we aren't running low...
#56 of 60 Old 07-08-2006, 09:32 PM

I'm just impressed that anyone with a new baby is getting some action.

Unfortunately, we feel like we need to wait until my breasts heal. If anything so much as brushes them they burn.
#57 of 60 Old 07-08-2006, 09:48 PM

Whereas we'd love more babies, we'd like to wait till DS is 2 to start TTC. We decided condoms and the diaphram would work for us and we'll also be incorporating CTA into the mix, if I can ever find time to really get some researching done that is.

The first time we DTD PP I was feeling the diaphram love but I think failure rate is about 6% with perfect use. The thought of being PG right now with DS still being so little just about brought me to tears. I love him so much and want to enjoy him alone as much as possible before adding another wee one into the mix.

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

#58 of 60 Old 07-08-2006, 10:12 PM

Crikey, certainly feels like I'm O'ing I tell you what. Damn that hurts!

#59 of 60 Old 07-09-2006, 07:50 AM

Warning: VENT

Sigh...bfing is back to excruciating again. We're honestly not sure how to continue (although there's no alternative, because despite our best efforts, we still can't get her to bottle/cup/syringe feed). The truly frustrating part is that we've spent $700 on lactation consultants (yes, you read that number right--and it's not like we can really afford that), talked to countless LLL leaders, and we've been working with our bfing-friendly ped at least weekly since baby was born--and NO ONE IS HELPING.

Oh, and dd it back to kicking and fussing while eating and pulling off the breast 20 times a feeding, so it looks like the Prevacid might not be helping her after all.

It feels like my breasts have completely taken over my life. I can't do anything because of them (shirts hurt, so it's hard to go out; I use shells, but then I leak into them, and because of the thrush, it's bad for my breasts to sit in milk; I can't nurse dd in public because of the pain, etc.). I can't even hug my dh or hold my baby properly because it hurts the d*mn breasts too much. I'm starting to be jealous of people who don't do any research and just happily use formula without even thinking about it.
#60 of 60 Old 07-09-2006, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
NYCVeg-I am so sorry you are going through this. I can totally relate I have scars on my nipples from thrush with my first kid. I also had to walk around shirtless for a few weeks. I'm sure you have heard everything but here's what I did. I ended up renting a medela pump and pumped left breast, only nursing ds on my right side for a week to give my left nipple, the worst, a chance to heal and then switched the next week to let the other side heal. I was also agressively treating thrush during this time. I used cold plain yogurt packs several(10-12) times a day for 30 min(feels great) followed by a diluted vinegar rinse hurts like he!! then let air dry then rinse with water at the end of two weeks it was cleared up. It was a very frustrating time I almost gave up i called everyone and all I got told was check his latch, no help there! i hurt so bad to nurse I would be crying and kick my foot agains our coffee table to distract my self and bruised my toes all to heck which just added to the misery. I truly hope you get relief soon I remember all too clearly the despair during that time.

Oh and about the reflux. We are dealing with that too this time. I have been nursing her while bouncing on our birth ball or walking doing lunges. The motion distracts her enough she hangs on tight no pulling off. I don't have any advise on the puking only comiseration.

Mom to 6 with #7 on the way Sept 2014

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page