Weekly Chat Thread Oct 9th-the 15th - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 73 Old 10-09-2005, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
to continue the feeling crappy talk..

yesterday DD was under the weather do I joined her on the sofa. I spent a good deal of time resting yesterday and feeling just icky.

Last night I was sick of that so we walked around the mall and I felt better. Then we unfroze some Chickn PArm we froze a few weeks ago. They really come in handy- double batching and freezing part.

DH is in charge of meals today thankfully!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#2 of 73 Old 10-09-2005, 02:07 PM

I woke up sooo sick this morning, I couldn't go to Mass. I laid in bed while ds ran around the room like a good boy getting into everything. I had to tkae him downstairs to make him some breakfast, and I tried to have a glass of chocolate milk because that had helped in my last pg and I made a run for the toilet!

Thankfully, dh brought some takeout home from the Cheesecake Factory (Thai Lettuce Wraps - my favorite!) and I was able to eat that and am feeling better now. Better go make hay while the sun shines with my housework...
#3 of 73 Old 10-09-2005, 02:20 PM

I. am. always. hungry.

It's out of control!!!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#4 of 73 Old 10-09-2005, 03:25 PM

Thanks Amy!

I stayed in bed late today, my hubby went fly fishing with some buddies today, but finished the laundry last night, and did all the grocery shopping... so all I have to do today is run some errands and go knit with my girlfriends.

I'm not sure how much I'll actually do, but I think it will be nice to get out of the house, since tomorrow I have to go back to work! I want to start exercising again, so I'm going to pickup a prenatal yoga dvd. i dont' know how much i'll do today, since i feel pretty nauseated but we'll see.

So... I was thinking we should do a Question of the week. Instead of just talking about how crappy we feel, what do you all think?

Ok.. dizziness is setting in.. must lie down.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#5 of 73 Old 10-09-2005, 04:28 PM

Thanks for starting the thread, Amy!

chiromama- I agree about having a question of the week. Otherwise I don't really know if I can participate...I don't feel all that bad. And I am just so thankful to be pregnant (like I know many others are) that I just don't want to complain about it! What shall the question of the week be?

Nichole, mama to 6 blue-eyed babies, LCCE, doula, apprentice mw
#6 of 73 Old 10-09-2005, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta
I. am. always. hungry.

It's out of control!!!

Me too :LOL I am sooooooooo scared to get on the scale because I have eating like crazy!

I am 5 weeks 4 days and still feel pretty good. Only sometimes I feel a little sick. I am really worried that the m/s will hit about 7 weeks.
#7 of 73 Old 10-09-2005, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Nicole- after having a few kids, God realizes you have plenty to do and gives you a reprieve on yucky symptoms. Or you're so immune to it, you just do not notice. Or thats why you have a few- you do prgnt well.

But yes- agree fully, lets come up w a question and/or topic. Then next week someone else can start this and come up w another. but if we get off topic thats ok by me.

Question-

How are you medically monitoring you prgncy??

When I say that, Do you have an OB, midwife etc. Are you going already, is your medical provider u/s happy (like some of my friends' obs) etc.

Also, are you going to do prgncy prescreening for any genitc anything.

To answer- We have an OB practice. With skyrocketing premiums for malpractice the way it is in Ill, its almost impossible to find a midwife or do any sort of "alternative" birthing choices. When I say alternative- I mean the way it was done for thousands of years before 1915 and OBs started to rule the world.
If you want to do a water birth, pray your own water does not break, because in this state, you cannot then have a water birth.
Epiderals are done in most births unless the mama is very upfront about it. Vbacs are almost impossible to do unless its at a handful of hospitals in this area. Some OB practices will not even let a mother deliver naturally if she already had a Csection which really irks me a lot.

We investigated midwifes in this area and the one practice we feel comfortable with is at a hospital 15 miles away and 45 minutes in light traffic.
Also, I am not a cadidate for homebirth w my history. But the homefirst people around here, I do not hear good things about.

So we will go to our OB practice, who we really love. Since we have already delivered we can talk to them about what we want this time around. Also, they are not ultrasound happy like some practices. They will ask if we want to do the triple screen which we will not do. Also if I was over 35, they would want to do an amenio which I would also not want. My feeling is- what would I do with these results if I had them?

But thats IMO, everyone else is different kwim?

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#8 of 73 Old 10-09-2005, 06:29 PM

Thanks for starting the thread Amy

I am just tired a lot. And thirsty, and peeing a little more than usual. I feel a little icky from time to time but don't really feel like throwing up. If anything my appetite is less than normal.

All of this is totally opposite my last pg which really throws me off. I'm kind of insecure about it, like maybe there is something wrong with me and I"m not really pregnant!

But all that should be answered soon... I went in today for my 2nd blood draw and will get the beta hcg results tomorrow... I won't be thinking of much else till then.

I'm seeing an OB... last pregnancy we didn't do much "medical monitoring" other than checking heart tones at each appt and getting an u/s at 20 weeks. And the usual, you know. AFP screen at 16 weeks, glucose screening, Group B strep, blah blah blah. This time I got the blood draw for beta hcg's because I was spotting (that seems to have stopped... knock on wood). I don't expect an early u/s or anything unusual as long as the numbers look good and I don't spot anymore.

What a mess in Nevada. More and more states are following that lead unfortunately!

I need to go grade some papers... I really want a nap but suppose I should do work. I will update tomorrow with my results!
#9 of 73 Old 10-09-2005, 08:46 PM

good question, Amy!

Well, how we choose to birth this baby(ies) will be discussed after we know how many are in there. If it's twins, I'm not sure I'll want a homebirth. I'd like to think I will, but we'll see.

My husband isn't 100% sure about homebirth - but i think that if it's the right choice, he'll see the light. If we do choose a hospital setting, we will go with hospital midwives, at the one local hospital that I know doesn't push you toward C-sect.

My perfect experience would be a home water birth, in my big lovely tub. with a laymidwife, my hubby and a doula. But twins may change that scenario!.

As for 'medical monitoring'... also depends on how many are in there. I don't plan on having the quad/triple screen, or an amnio. I do plan on monitoring my own glucose, as both of my sisters had gestational diabetes (although, I don't have blood sugar issues, and they both had some mild ones). But I can do that myself, as we keep urinalysis strips at my office. Unless I have reason to, I don't plan on doing a GD screen. I plan on having this upcoming US, and unless the RE sees a need to do another, I don't know if we'll have anymore.

When you've had a high tech conception, it seems hard to 'un-hightech' your pregnancy... but I really would like to do just that. Just because it was hard to get me pregnant, doesn't mean we can't grow a healthy baby, or have a non intervention birth.

However... I can't wait till thursday to see how many are in there!!!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#10 of 73 Old 10-09-2005, 10:01 PM

We're going with an OB. I am slowly pushing DH into understanding my desire for a natural birth, but I realize there are some things he won't budge on. So I figure I'll pick my battles.

We've already discussed genetic testing because our RE recommended it, but we decided against it because we wouldn't change our plan of action with the results so why bother?

As for u/s I'm having one on Friday at 7 weeks and then it will depend pretty much on what is needed. I'm pretty vocal in what I want and my OB is very nice and helpful so I really don't feel like I'm going to get a bunch of pressure.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#11 of 73 Old 10-09-2005, 10:16 PM

Twilight~ are you in Nevada? I am. I'm worried because none of the hospitals here (that I know of) are allowing vbacs and that's what I want. I'm going to set up some consultation appointments with the two Midwifery practices (again that I know of) in the area to see if I'm a candidate for a hbvbac. I'm so thankful that DH is ok with that!

Sarah loving wife to Scot...joyous mama to...
Emilee and Elaina and our newest addition Elliot Bell 9/15/10
#12 of 73 Old 10-09-2005, 10:24 PM

My sister is my OB so I will see her throughout my pregnancy. She has been very cool about my homebirths so that is what we are planning on again. I will probably have an early u/s around 8 weeks in sis's office just to check things out and will have a level II u/s at 18-20 weeks. I do have a fatal genetic issue in my family and even if something shows up on the u/s we will continue the pregnancy but I would like to be prepared. I am also one of those people that say I'm not getting off the table until I know what gender the baby is. I know it is horrible to say but I cried when I found out the twins were both boys. I was really hoping for a girl and I think I needed to get over wanting a girl before they were born. Of course I still want a girl and even though I will adore another little boy I'm sure I will be a little sad at not having a daughter. Anyone else have a gender preference?
#13 of 73 Old 10-09-2005, 10:29 PM

Personally, i have no gender preference. We just want a baby.

#14 of 73 Old 10-09-2005, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

I'm looking for 10 fingers, 10 toes. We have a wonderful little girl and if we got another little girl, my DH would still be King of his castle. Except of course when we are all pmsing :LOL But if we got a boy that would be fine too. DH thinks we will eventually have 3 daughters. He calls us his two girls.

We are still on the fence about finding out what kind of baby is in there. We did not w dd and it was fun.

#15 of 73 Old 10-09-2005, 11:43 PM

Well we had a homebirth with dd and only 1 US at around 20-24 weeks. I only want to make sure there isn't an apparent problem that could be fixed beforehand or that needed medical attention right after birth. I won't see a midwife until 12 weeks and we are still trying to decide uf we want to use the same one. We had the glucose, triple screen done since they aren't invasive, but other than that dd has only been to the dr 4 x's in 2 years, we don't vax. So I will likely do the same this time. I had complete say the last time. I am going to try to have this babe in the water since last time the tub got cold since I was in labor for 18 hrs!

I have been a little weird with buying extra pg tests from the DT and taking them at random. :LOL

My pg with dd was smooth sailing and so far this one seems okay, not sick or too tired, but a little yucky occasionally and my sense of smell is taht if a super hero. Oh, and BIG nipple pain with dd nurses.

Birth Photographer mom to four blessings
#16 of 73 Old 10-10-2005, 12:11 AM

DH and I are both happy for a baby but if we got to pick, it would be a boy.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#17 of 73 Old 10-10-2005, 12:26 AM

Sooo why is it that when your dr tells you that you have to "watch your carbs, no junk food and no sugars" thats immediately what you crave? I do have a sweet tooth but not to the point I want to eat it all the time, and yeah I love carbs....but sheesh....the minute you are told not to do something its a MUST HAVE! ARG!!! I really need to start some kind of a diet...or have a plan of something healthy atleast part of the time. I was borderline GD last pregnancy but I had a HUGE sweet tooth all the time....like daily goodies and thats all I wanted.....sooo I was amazed it never did turn into GD. Sooo this time around I want to be good, especially since I still have the extra weight from the first pregnancy....but I only gained 20lbs...so its not like it was a whole lot...but considering Im already several lbs overweight to begin with...Im basically screwed!

Any suggestions for diet/excersice plan?

I think that Im going to try and do daily morning mall walks while older DD is in school. I can let Lil'bit run around the mall and play on the playground until the mall opens. It would be a good hour or more that we would have. I think it would be a start atleast right? Any other suggestions?

Oh...and as for gender...I would love another girl, but a boy would be nice too. Since its a totally different season from my first two its really doesnt matter. New stuff all around Yippeee! DH of course is leaning towards a boy. I also had a psychic friend tell me about my first DD down to the dark hair and dark eyes, and she mentioned my next one would be a boy. So Im dying to see if she was right! Anyone wanna place a bet?

Ok well Im rambeling, I have the late night giddyness and munchies but im trying to be good! If it werent for the munchies I wouldnt know I was pregnant. Fun Fun fun! Anyone else get the munchies?
#18 of 73 Old 10-10-2005, 12:47 AM

No, I'm not in Nevada... I'm in Colorado. It doesn't seem as bad here but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Malpractice rates are increasing but so far all that's meant to us is outrageous health insurance premiums.
#19 of 73 Old 10-10-2005, 01:33 AM

I'm going to an OB/GYN. I would love to do a homebirth, but I just don't know yet. I am so thirsty and tired all the time Thank goodness I'm able to be a stay at home mom so I don't have to really do anything. I also can't believe this is my third baby! I'm very excited about it. I have a few cravings here and there, but mostly food makes me what to run to the bathroom. I have to force myself to eat. I haven't lose or gained any weight yet and I usually lose in the 1st tri because I'm sick all the time. I knwo it will get better though
#20 of 73 Old 10-10-2005, 02:26 AM

How are you medically monitoring you prgncy??

Well, I discovered Friday that my OB is no longer on my PPO plan. So, I left a message asking her to join again. Otherwise, I don't know what I'll do. Her partner is on the plan still, so I guess I could go to him, but I would prefer her. Also, the hospital they deliver at is not on my plan, so I have to see if they are willing and able to deliver the baby at the hospital in this town (there office in the next town over). If they won't do this it looks like I will have to go to a doctor and hospital on my plan that is 60-70 miles away. I hate insurance!

I would have a homebirth, I looked into it with dd, but I have NO support from DH or other familiy members. Especially now since I had some complications with dd and ended up with a c/s. In the area I live in I don't have a clue how I would find a midwife, my doula moved to CA, so I just don't think there is any way to get around going to the hospital and having another c/s.

I got all the routine tests with dd, so I guess I'll do the same this time. My OB only does ultrasound if there is some medical reason to do it.

We don't have a gender preference, another girl would be nice since I have all the girl stuff already, but I wouldn't mind a boy either.
#21 of 73 Old 10-10-2005, 03:20 AM

I am seeing the same ob I had with both boys. I really like her; she is very calm and not at all in your face about anything. I also loved that she immediately put each boy on my abdomen and encouraged nursing the moment she got them out. Each boy was on the breast within seconds. I won't see her, though, until the 8th of Nov. Before then, I'll go see the nurse practitioner next Monday for the "new-ob" appt; that's where I get to refuse the formula gift bag (though I'm debating taking it for my friend who foster's babies ... she can definitely use it). Given what she's done in the past, I'm expecting my ob will do an u/s when I see her next month to confirm due date (I'll be 12 1/2 weeks by then ... I wonder if I can talk the n.p. into it instead ... I'm really curious if I'm right with my dates), then I'll have the "regular" u/s at about 20 weeks or so. That one I don't like because my insurance contracts out to an u/s place and they have the worst bedside manners. Maybe in the last 2 1/2 years they've changed.

I'm debating declining the glocuse tolerance screening this time. Both boys came up fine; I have really low blood sugar to begin with, and frankly I don't like introducing that much glocuse into my system all at once on an empty stomach (right now the thought makes me ill). I'm also going to decline the triple screening.

As for how I'm feeling ... my sense of smell is overwhelming and can pick up yucky smells from a mile away. It makes going in the kitchen hard; I had dh move the kitchen trash outside on the stoop so I don't have to walk past it to do laundry. I have no appetite except for a few things (and not very healthy either), but I'm hungry all the time because I'm not eating much. Sometimes I feel queasy, but never like I'm going to throw-up, just yucky. I never had this with either boy, so it's a new experience. So far today I've had two bowls of chocolate lucky charms, a baked potato, and some chicken tenders. Oh, and a sliver of orange. I had such visions of eating well ... I was going to do as much of the Makers Diet and Nourishing Traditions as I could ... sprouted, fermented, raw, whole food ... but the thought of it is sickening. So, I'm back to my cereal, pasturized milk, and processed mac & cheese! :LOL At least it's something.

Oh, someone mentioned yoga. I bought last week the Gaiam Prenatal Yoga ... I really like it. There are three women on the screen all at once - one from each trimester of pregnancy, so you can see how the poses are modified throughout. It's a good stretch and pretty calming ... my boys like to try to do it with me! The goal is to do that 3-4 times a week and continue to walk 2-3 miles a day (though I haven't been doing that as much ... it got very hot and dry here the last couple weeks). My goal is to be in better shape this time than I was last time, which was better than the first time. We shall see ...

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#22 of 73 Old 10-10-2005, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
After my ds birth at the hosp w/ an OB last time, we are changing it up and going to see a midwife and either birth at the Birth Center or at home
I am soooooo excited, our hospital birth was good, but I think for us, the birth center or home birth will be much better. We are very private people and I did not like being a "number" at the hospital......and strangers tending to me.
I didnt do the triple screen last time - I had read over and over that there is high chance of false-positives and I didn't want to go through that - so we opted to not do that. We did do u/s and the glucose test - they also checked me iron levels at EVERY visit b/c I am veggie........

If anyone has any good links on homebirth, pass em on! Also thanks for the rec. on the prenatal yoga - I think I may have to pick that up.

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#23 of 73 Old 10-10-2005, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Any suggestions for diet/excersice plan?
I wanted to pass this link on that I found yesterday, for anyone who is interested. My DH and i are both veggies (we do eat seafood very occasionally, and yeah, I know, a fish isn't a vegetable). Anyway, I've been wanting to keep track of my protein intake because I'm always worried I'm not getting enough.

http://babyfit.com

This site allows you to enter what you've eaten throughout the day, and it keeps track of all the nutrients you need while preggers. I have to guesstimate quite a bit, but it at least gives you a rough idea of where you're at for the day.

I don't know about the site as a whole, but it's pretty neato for reminding you to eat right, drink water, exercise and take your vitamins!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#24 of 73 Old 10-10-2005, 09:33 AM

Dh and I have two boys and I am secretly hoping for a girl but I would not be disapointed at all if we had another boy. I am seeing an OB. I could see a midwife in this area but I haven't heard the best things about the two that are here. Plus dh is trying for a another job so if that works out I will get to deliver at a great hospital, we can't afford a homebirth there are no homebirth midwives in our area and insurance wouldn't cover it. As much as I want a home water birth it probably won't happen. But I do plan on having another unmedicated birth.

We probably will try and find out the sex so we can plan but I'm not all that worried about finding out either, I am just so excited to be having another baby.
#25 of 73 Old 10-10-2005, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

MArcy- where in IL do you live? I can see how you would have trouble finding a solution for delivering a baby.

#26 of 73 Old 10-10-2005, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thanks for that site - it looks cool!

p.s. Keeta, I was completely lacto-ovo veggie for my last pregnancy and we did fine! I think I worry more about my iron intake than my protein.......
GL!

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#27 of 73 Old 10-10-2005, 11:27 AM

Amys1st - Check out Dr. George Elvove in the Chicago area - he's a homebirth doc. I lived in Peoria for two years until August.

I had very little med attention with my first. I had my first OB visit at 13 weeks and had a Doppler listen to the hb. Then I had a blood draw at 17 weeks for the triple screen. Then I had an u/s at 24 weeks. That was it. Other than that, I just took my bp every month and weighed myself and measured my fundal height.

This time we are stationed where our hosptial is a MTF (military treatment facility) so it's a little different. I have to go to an initial visit ASAP with my assigned family practice doc in order to get the referral written for the homebirth midwife that is covered under our insurance. I will likely not have many of the tests (don't see the point) and certainly would never have an amnio. Ironically, my dh is a med student, but he and I think pregnancy is best left alone. We might even go with no u/s this time.

We have no gender preference.
#28 of 73 Old 10-10-2005, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL
Amys1st - Check out Dr. George Elvove in the Chicago area - he's a homebirth doc. I lived in Peoria for two years until August.
Thanks for the lead but like I said, I cannot do homebirth. Most practices that do that in IL would not even touch it because I would be considered high risk. Where is the Dr located though?

#29 of 73 Old 10-10-2005, 01:28 PM

He's in Libertyville.

here's his site:
http://www.elvovemd.com/home.htm
#30 of 73 Old 10-10-2005, 02:09 PM

subscribing for now, will be back to answer questions...

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page