Stuff/ Foods to Avoid while Pg?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2005, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK - I remember from last time that there were some odd things that I found doing my pregnancy "research" that are best to avoid during pg. Like.....soft cheeses (raw mozz, and others) and potato chips (I can't remember why except taht I think it had something to do with flash frying.)
But for the life of me I just cannot remember the big stuff to avoid! I mean, I know - no booze (well, I did have a glass of wine every once in a while during the third trimester) : And I have cut back my coffee Anyways,anything come to mind that we should be avoiding??

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2005, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmm, I never heard that potato chips are banned. Things I have heard of as banned: sushi, raw or undercooked meat and eggs, aspirin, ibuprofen. I also seem to vaguely remember you shouldn't stand still too long. I can't remember where I read that, or if I'm imagining it.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:01 PM

Its not necessary that sushi should be avoided but tuna, salmon and a few other sushi stuff becuase of freshwater fish could have too much mercury in it. But just limit intake of sushi which is an uphill battle this time since I crave it. But I am spreading out my pig outs of it by a few weeks.

My ob said last time-many cultures all they eat is fish or in Japan they eat a lot of fresh raw food and they have babies.

I heard soft cheeses etc. If you have a little bit here & there its not going to hurt anything. But everyday is not a good idea.

Also- if you have a few sips of wine or beer, its not the end of the world. In fact a few days before I even knew I was prgnt I had 2 beers one night. But again- at this point its sips not guzzling boose.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 10-11-2005, 07:31 PM

i just read recently that we're supposed to avoid deli meat. I don't eat it, so i won't miss it, but i was kind of surprised that it was verboten. oh, and hot dogs have to be cooked wellllll done. weird.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Old 10-11-2005, 08:13 PM

I dont eat deli meat so I should be fine. I ate hot dogs my first prgncy for 9 mos and have not really ate one since. But then again I ate ice cream the whole time too and I could not even think of it now.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 10-11-2005, 09:10 PM
Banned

Avoid Food? BAH!

The only thing I'm "avoiding" during pregnancy is booze. That is IT.

My last pregnancy I was too dirt poor to avoid ANY kind of food, like if someone gave me sushi I WOULD have eaten it. And that habit is carrying over, even though I'm *NOT* poor anymore.

I'm gonna have my cranberry baked Brie at Christmas time, I'm gonna have my Scallops wrapped in bacon, I'm gonna eat my potato chips *within moderation*

And yes, I'm still drinking my non-decaf coffee, and my non-diet-decaf pepsi.

I'm not gonna deprive myself of the things I enjoy. I remember all too well how it was when I was poor, pregnant and panhandling just to afford a slice of pizza for lunch.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
just read recently that we're supposed to avoid deli meat. I don't eat it, so i won't miss it, but i was kind of surprised that it was verboten
I don't eat it (veggie ) but I believe it is because the deli meat is more prone to certain kinds of bacteria b/c it sits out and is processed.......

Oh and I remember that my OB last time said to stay away from echinacea b/c it you dont want to strengthen your immune system.......we are immunosuppressed at this point so our bodies will work with the growing baby!

Maybe need start a new thread, but on that note - does anyone plan on doing anything special to stay healthy during cold/ flu season? I think after I resign from my job (yay!) I may just stay home with ds and be a recluse :LOL and research cloth diapers!

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
Old 10-12-2005, 01:26 PM

I don't really avoid much. I aready don't drink so that's no biggy. I have given up caffinated beverages but not chocolate. Though I would have sips of dh's every now and then except he just gave up caffine too. : Soft cheeses are my weakness. I love buffalo mozzerella, goat cheese, feta. I don't eat them every day but I don't think I could completly give them up either. I also crave sushi when I'm pregnant I'll just make sure to avoid fresh water fishies.

And pandora thanks a lot, now I'm craving bacon wrapped scallops. :LOL
Old 10-12-2005, 03:00 PM

I eliminate alcohol, raw/undercooked fish/meat/eggs, I avoid caffine and soft cheeses... I have been craving sushi too, but went for the eel since it was cooked. For me right now with the football bbqs I have to remember the hamburger has to be cooked well done (though you can eat a steak rare), and French Vanilla ice cream has eggs in it and even though they are pasturized I'm gonna skip it.

--K knit.gifluxlove.gif = dsd '01, ds1 '01, ds2 '03, dd1 '06, dd2 '09 grouphug.gif

Old 10-12-2005, 04:56 PM

The other things I only have occasionally, but my biggie was under cooked eggs. I love to dip my toast into runny yolks and making real caesar salad. If I wasn't opposed to the idea of it, I suppose I could use the pasturized eggs but I figure I'll just do without it as much as possible.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
Old 10-13-2005, 12:48 AM

Okay wait. Are you talking undercooked or just over easy cause my yolks are runny when I cook fried eggs? Also Salmon is good for you to eat anytime wiith all the DHA and omega 3's, you only want to avoid farm raised salmon.

Birth Photographer mom to four blessings
Old 10-13-2005, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentilla
Also Salmon is good for you to eat anytime wiith all the DHA and omega 3's, you only want to avoid farm raised salmon.
Why farm raised?? Just curious...But thats dh's thing- Omega foods he calls them.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:07 AM

I could be wrong but I believe there are higher mercury levels in farm raised. I take fish oils during pregnancy anyway.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsun
Maybe need start a new thread, but on that note - does anyone plan on doing anything special to stay healthy during cold/ flu season?

I think after I resign from my job (yay!) I may just stay home with ds and be a recluse :LOL and research cloth diapers!
I did not know that about eninachia (however you spell it )

sorry-
Sarah
let me know what your research turns up since I am also researching cd's myself. Maybe we should start another thread..

Old 10-13-2005, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I did not know that about eninachia (however you spell it )
OK - I had my "interview" with my midwife last night! YAY! She is super nice and I am soooo siked to be going to a birth center and possibly haveing a HB - Sorry......about echinacea....it's crazy cause my OB from last time said "don't take it," and in the literature my MW gave me last night, it said it is OK to take it for colds/ flu....... umm, I will ask her about it at my 1st appt in 2 weeks.

Quote:
let me know what your research turns up since I am also researching cd's myself. Maybe we should start another thread..
New thread - on it

Old 10-14-2005, 09:56 AM

What's wrong with softer cheeses and what kind of bacteria are we talking about in lunch meat?
Old 10-14-2005, 09:59 AM

The bacteria is listeria in both cases. It's unusual because it can live at temperatures of 40 degrees and less.

Here's a little article I found on the subject.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Old 10-14-2005, 02:48 PM

I've read that you can eat luncheon meat if you heat it until it's steaming.

A question--what types of sushi use cooked fish other than eel? I'm craving it, too!

User Tag List