So...who drinks coffee? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-12-2005, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK, I have cut back from 3 cups/ day (2 morning and 1 afternoon cup) to 1 cup in the morning (that I am savoring right now ) Last time around, I went down to 1 small cup every morning and that was it - I feel like a little is OK, but I am still on the fence thinking maybe I should just wean myself off of it completely. But boy oh boy, I do love my coffee. :LOL
What are your thoughts on coffee/ caffeine?

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 10-12-2005, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh girl I love my coffee I think that's the only way I stay fuctional half the time. I don't know what it is," could It be that I'm addicted Ahh yay". I love that cup as soon as I wake up. I'm not allowed to have it after 1 pm or I have a real hard time falling asleep. Call me dumb but I didn't realize how much it effected my sleep tell I stoped drinking it in the afternoon. But man I love my coffee.
LOTS OF LOVE
CRISSY
#3 of 16 Old 10-12-2005, 09:40 AM
Banned

I'm Never Ever Ever quitting coffee.

Over MY DEAD BODY.

I NEEED it in the morning to be semi human at least till Lunch.

And I'm never giving up my normal pepsi either. I cut back yeah, I mostly just want water, but no way am I giving up cafeene.

One has to drink like 8cups/day in order to have just a TINY chance of increased mc. so screw that. ENJOY!
#4 of 16 Old 10-12-2005, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I love that cup as soon as I wake up.
same here....although lately i have been HUNGRY when I wake up - but I still need to have my coffee first before I eat.....

Quote:
I'm Never Ever Ever quitting coffee. Over MY DEAD BODY.

OK, I am so glad I am not alone! I truly LOVE my morning coffee ritual - I think I may switch to tea in the afternoon - any suggestions......

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#5 of 16 Old 10-12-2005, 10:33 AM

What a great thread! Just found out this morning that I pregnant with #2, & was wondering the same thing as I made my coffee. I plan to mix it with some decaf, but I may not get rid of it completely this time!

L
:LOL

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

#6 of 16 Old 10-12-2005, 10:43 AM

DH is a freak about me drinking coffee. His mom, too. I LOVE it, so I need to either get some when I leave the house or he does. Now it is so much like a guilty pleasure but I do get pissed when I sometimes feel like a naughty kid.

When we have our first OB appt. I'll ask and then keep sneaking if I have to. I'm not asking our RE because he is a health nut and will tell me all the terrible things about coffee and I don't want to listen.

Basically, I have 1 cup 3-4 times a week which is a big drop from 3-4 cups a day.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#7 of 16 Old 10-12-2005, 10:44 AM

Hey guys...
I am visiting from the due in March board but had to reply to this coffee thread..I too am an addict, and gave it up for a bit in the eary months because it was making me sick but now am able to drink it. I absolutly LOVE sitting and drinking that cup of joe in the morning. It is my am ritual. When I spoke to my MW about it, her answer was moderation is the key. If you go drinking 2 pots a day you may have a problem, but really isnt moderation in everything?
I think that sitting and taking that breath is worth far more then the negative effects of large doses of caffiene. Anyway just wanted to let you all know I am right with ya on the coffee addiction..it is my drug of choice *smiles*

Phoenix
#8 of 16 Old 10-12-2005, 11:11 AM

I only drink one cup of coffee in the morning, and some mornings I have tea instead, but lately coffee is sounding really unappetizing due to the m/s. However, I had a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks the other day and that was YUMMY!
#9 of 16 Old 10-12-2005, 11:43 AM

We are big coffee fanatics here so no chance me switching. Last time, cofee tasted blah and now its good. We roast our own coffee etc and DH visits coffee geek.com like I visit MDC

Also- as far as caffiene intake. It depends on the bean of the coffee.
If your coffee is like MAxwell house, foldgers crap like that its Robusta beans. Robasta beans are from low lying areas like Vietnam etc and the caffiene is much stronger in these beans because the plant is a strong caffiene plant. BTW- thats how coffee bean plants survive- the caffiene is their defense.

If the beans are arabia beans which grow in South America, Africa etc, you have a lower amount of caffiene in them. Starbucks, Gloria Jean, carabo coffees sell their packages but check for 100% arabian blends. Otherwise you are getting the robosto garbage beans in there. Some places like gas stations, dunken donuts etc have blends or no arabian beans.

I usually have aobut 10oz in the morning with DH. Its our coffee ritual/date every morning before dd gets up. Some days when he gets home early around 2pm or weekends we have our"coffee drinks". We make ice cappinos or now we are moving back to hot ones.

But again- the amount is minamal when you compare how much intake you have to take for dangerous amounts. Besides, the caffiene is really not affecting me- I'm still exhausted.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#10 of 16 Old 10-12-2005, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora114
I'm Never Ever Ever quitting coffee.

Over MY DEAD BODY.

I NEEED it in the morning to be semi human at least till Lunch.

And I'm never giving up my normal pepsi either. I cut back yeah, I mostly just want water, but no way am I giving up cafeene.

One has to drink like 8cups/day in order to have just a TINY chance of increased mc. so screw that. ENJOY!

ahh pandora, you share my love of pepsi! :LOL i am trying to switch to decaf pepsi and decaf coffee. i love the taste but i don't necessarily need the caffeine.... this week i was without both though. i miss my pepsi. sprite just doesn't always cut it....

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#11 of 16 Old 10-12-2005, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am an avid coffee drinker. I used to drink about 1-2 pots a day, but I have cut down to 1-2 cups of GOOD coffee, that way I can really savor it. So far, I haven't had any soda, although I won't be giving that up for good either.... just cutting down. I am trying REALLY hard to drink mostly water, milk, or orange juice and eat a healthy diet. I don't need to put on a gazzillion pounds this time around
Erika

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#12 of 16 Old 10-12-2005, 04:41 PM

I'm so glad to see this thread....I loooooove my coffee, I switched to decaf because all my extreme health-nut friends scared me, but I miss it!! With my first 2 pregnancies I just cut back on caffeine, this time I pretty much eliminated it but I'll be introducing it back in after the first trimester, I'm sure - maybe sooner if I can't take it anymore going without!! If it's something good (like a latte or mocha) I can almost forget it's decaf!

Someone asked about tea suggestions - I love Traditional Medicinals Pregnancy Tea. It has herbal benefits (RRL, rose hips, etc.) but also tastes nice and has some mint in it for m/s.

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#13 of 16 Old 10-12-2005, 05:20 PM

bundlefish--mocha good!!

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#14 of 16 Old 10-12-2005, 11:33 PM

Not a coffee drinker, only on rare occasion, but I love my caffineted tea! I havent had much lately but was on a huge kick right before I found out I was pregnant. I will probably go back to that and hot cocoa once it starts getting even colder. I personally think that the little bit of caffiene (even a few cups) is nothing compared to the shock your system would get going off the stuff cold turkey, or even slowly.
Man I noticed the difference just one day with out my tea...sheesh, I think detox is worse then the little caffiene there is! I know my DR who deals with high risk even says a little isnt a big deal. Heck, if your system is used to it, why not!
#15 of 16 Old 10-13-2005, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekermage
I personally think that the little bit of caffiene (even a few cups) is nothing compared to the shock your system would get going off the stuff cold turkey, or even slowly.
Oh yuck, I would not even want to think about that. But I'm all for the caffiene.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#16 of 16 Old 10-13-2005, 05:33 PM

I tried to quit my morning cup, and all I got was headaches, so I figure I'll stick with it. I rarely finish the cup anyway, so I figure that's well within the 300mg limit. Plus I dilute with soy milk or almond milk. I don't drink soda or eat chocolate, so I'm pretty confident I'm not over-doing it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page