Brewer Diet for Preeclampsia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-12-2005, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are any other June moms doing the Brewer diet for preeclampsia? I was
PIH first time - trying to avoid it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2005, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am not really doing the Brewer's diet, but am focusing on great nutrition, high protein, and whole foods. I had pre-e with my first pregnancy and I have no interest in a repeat performance

I had thought about doing the Brewer's diet the last time around but was really turned off by the website. I don't trust anyone when they make such huge claims that all those healthproblems could be completely avoided if their diet is followed. I understand the idea that diet can certainly help and even avoid some of the cases, but otherwise the site just turned me off.

Erika

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Old 10-13-2005, 10:59 AM

I'm going by some of the principles of the diet. I can't do dairy though, so I'll adjust that.

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

Old 10-15-2005, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

I agree with hotwings that the web-site isn't very impressive. What I've heard about Dr. Brewer is that his theory could never really get off the ground because he is really crazy on a personal level I actually called him on the phone since the number was listed. He really sounded senile and I couldn't get any meaningful information from him.

I was originally turned off by the diet since it seemed very cave-manish - all the eggs, dairy, animal protein. I've been mostly vegetarian for 12 years. But I also don't want a "repeat performance" of pre-e either. I was planning for a waterbirth and ended up having every intervention short of a c-section and I was terrified in the process - all the talk of seizures etc. But what else can the medical profession mainstream or alternative offer??

Any thoughts?
Old 10-15-2005, 01:13 PM

I was just told to eat as much protein as possible. Like 100 grams was your goal. I think that's easier to get to than just following the brewer diet.

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

Old 10-16-2005, 03:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Well, the mainstream medical can offer meds to lower bp, but that isn't the ideal. There are lots of things you can do with nutrition, supplements, and herbs though to keep you as healthy as possible. of course, it is no guarentee of perfect health, but won't hurt either.
There are great suggestions in the book "Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year" by Susun Weed.
Last pregnancy, I worked closely with my midwife on nutrition. We talked LOTS about the sorts of things I needed to eat (protein, fruits, veggies) and the things I didn't need to eat (candy, sugar, coffee, caffine in general, etc). I also took lots of baths, rested as needed,and just worked hard to keep my bp low. A pre-e sentence once doesn't mean that you will have to face it again.
Erika

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

User Tag List