Cloth Diapers for Beginners - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 265 Old 11-07-2005, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach4Babies
First time prospective Mom here who is interested in CD, but many questions.

I guess the first thing I ought to ask is whether my child care provider will consent to use them. It's one thing to clean one's own baby's caca, but I'm not sure I can ask someone else to do it.

Then, how often do you change them? Whenever they wet? Is that what the "inserts" are for? And what about those "soakers"????

As you can see, I need the basics here.
Our day care provider never blinked an eye to our cloth diapers. She started to show us that she knows how to fold them until I showed her a pocket diaper. We also looked at a few centers and they all said fine. My advice is to bring an actual diaper with you. Otherwise they think pins and rubber pants and you can't even get through to them that it's not like that anymore. Our daycare just takes them off and puts them in a bag for us. We dump the poop ourselves at night.

You change them when they are wet, especially when they are newborn. They pee a LOT. The inserts go inside a pocket diaper, but you change the whole thing. People like pocket diapers and inserts because you can put 2 inserts in there if your baby pees like a flood. Plus they dry faster in the dryer than all in ones.

Soakers are usually wool covers to go over the "old fashioned" prefold diapers or fitteds.

I know it's confusing as heck. My advice is to get a sample of a couple of different systems and see what works. It's hard to figure out from reading, but once you have the diaper in your hand it's clear as can be!
#62 of 265 Old 11-07-2005, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Can't wait to see the pics!

B4B, I think it's reasonable to expect a caregiver to put an AIO or pocket dipe in the wetbag instead of a sposie in the trash. It's not necessary for them to scrape the poop off, you can do that at home. I'd make that one of my criteria for selecting a caregiver. When ds has been babysat, I just point them to the FBs and say "these snap on and off, just toss the dirty one in the pail." Then I scrape the poop and take the insert out later.

We should really post a link to a Diapering FAQ that explains all the kinds of dipes and the acronyms. Anybody have a favorite one?

I'll answer the "how often do you change them" question: the less often, the better! I'm not satisfied with a dipe that lasts less than 3 hours. So ds has an average of 4 changes during the day, and wears a sposie for the 12 hours he spends asleep. Obviously, when he was smaller and pooped more often, he got more changes. This is the main reason I don't use prefolds - minimal changes are important to me.
#63 of 265 Old 11-07-2005, 08:32 PM

Diaper Pages by Karen is an awesome site! It has everything you'd need to know on it. There's another really good one, but I don't have the link handy, by Juliacat here on MDC (if you go to the diaper forum and see one of her posts, the link should be in her siggy). Both are quite informative!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#64 of 265 Old 11-17-2005, 10:04 PM

OK- trying to revive this thread again.

I went to a LLL meeting this morning. I want to get dd used to seeing nursing babes all the time since that will be whats its like this summer. I saw a friend there that I actaully met online here and we did a meetup a few summers ago. She cds so she gave me a quick tutorial so to speak.

She uses the prefolds at home. She carries with her pocket diapers. The ones that you put the hemp inside to absorb. Also they come in cute colors and the fabric is sooooo soft. They also have several snaps so the diaper can grow w the baby. Also she washes them in Tide (very little I might add) and also rinses them with some vinagar. Then she hang drys or lays them out to dry. So I might have her do a consulting with me a few more times and then I think after the 1st of the year, I will start shopping the websites, ebay, trading post etc.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#65 of 265 Old 11-17-2005, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynski
My advice is to get a sample of a couple of different systems and see what works. It's hard to figure out from reading, but once you have the diaper in your hand it's clear as can be!
This is what I'm doing. I found out which dipes run small and work on skinny legs since that is most likely what I'll be dealing with. Then I found the best prices at stores and made an Excel worksheet with it so that when I run accross stuff on the TP, ebay, etc I know what new would cost and I generally subtract 20% for gently used/excellent quality.

I know it sounds pretty anal , but it really helps prevent the "impulse bid" because I put in my max and that is it.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#66 of 265 Old 11-17-2005, 10:18 PM

Pockets and aio's are both great for out and about because they allow for quick and easy changes (and are also more likely, imo, to attrack a non-cd'er because they function much like a disposible). I wonder if she was using Fuzzi Bunz (pretty easy to attain)? They are also really good (pockets that is) because you can vary how much stuffing you need.

In terms of washing, you will probably have to play around with it a bit to find what works for you in terms of water (hard or soft) and your new bean's skin (for instance, we can't used Tide because the enzymes in it which makes it clean so nicely irritate both ds's skin when they pee on the diaper). That's so cool though that you found someone irl that cd's ... it's so much easier when you have real-life help!

#67 of 265 Old 11-18-2005, 05:54 PM

They were the fuzzi bunz and now I want them!

I don't think its anal at all to track diaper prices, esp when you are going to buying more than normal! In fact, if you want to copy anyone on your spreadsheet feel free to spread the love!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#68 of 265 Old 11-18-2005, 07:28 PM

Sorry if this has already been asked!

Ok, so I CD'ed with my first two. I had a top-loading washer. In the mornings, I would fill the washer with the dipes, soak all day with the lid open, spin cycle at night to get out the yukky stuff, and then run a full wash cycle.

Now I have a front-loading washer. And I'm wondering how to soak the dipes? I have heard some people use buckets, but, ew! Am I being a wienie???

Mom to : DS1 (11), DS2 (8), DD3 (4), : DS4 (1), and : : :
#69 of 265 Old 11-21-2005, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have heard mant many mamas suggest Tide! I don't use it yet, but it gets such rave reviews, we may have to try.
Also, I wanted to announce that I officially bought my first 2 covers from the TP - I bought 2 Litewraps, size newborn! I am so excited and already addicted, I swear
Quote:
Then I found the best prices at stores and made an Excel worksheet
I think that is a brilliant idea! Esp. because I really have to make the best $$ choices I can (not alot of extra cash right now).

And I am adding the FB to my list - I have also heard good reviews of kissaluvs....

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#70 of 265 Old 11-21-2005, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymbeline

Ok, so I CD'ed with my first two. I had a top-loading washer. In the mornings, I would fill the washer with the dipes, soak all day with the lid open, spin cycle at night to get out the yukky stuff, and then run a full wash cycle.

Now I have a front-loading washer. And I'm wondering how to soak the dipes? I have heard some people use buckets, but, ew! Am I being a wienie???
No you're not a wienie or a winey since I was also thinking ewww! But now that you mention it, I have a top loader and I will do that!

Also- I do not use Tide, but I have heard that it works well too. So I will most likely just use Tide for the dipes when I get there!

#71 of 265 Old 11-21-2005, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsun
And I am adding the FB to my list - I have also heard good reviews of kissaluvs....
I have a few FB's on my list to get and have gotten a bunch of the Kissaluvs fitteds. Over in the diapering forum, the multiples forum and at Diaper Pin they were the most recommended for newborns. Next was prefolds and wraps.

#72 of 265 Old 11-21-2005, 09:44 PM

I've been able to get 12 KL size O's from the TP here ... they are so cute and little. The funny part for me, though, is that my 23 lb., 2 yo, twig of a ds can fit in them too! I've also bought one Bumby Wool NB cover and 2 Proraps size small (expecting a big baby - the twig that can fit in the size 0 KL's was 9 lbs, 12 oz. at birth!). I'm going to get another of the Bumby Wool covers, and probably a couple Sugar Pea size small wool covers, and a few bummis. That, with a couple dozen infant sized prefolds will make up this bean's stash.

#73 of 265 Old 11-22-2005, 01:52 PM

For those of you who would like a cute little fitted for your stash I just noticed that tykie diapers ( www.tykiediapers.com) has for a limited time size small (other sizes as well) hemp "surprise" diapers. You pick girl, boy or gender nuetral and she surprises you with the outer print! They are only $9.00 (thats less then a kissaluv and hemp is LOTS more absorbant) and she is currently offering "santa bucks" for each dollar spent you get a santa buck you can spend in the special section (she has toys, ornaments, wipes - which her wipes are yummy! - and also doublers and nursing pads etc.) The price is cheaper then her normal diapers and just to mix things up a little its a neat offer. Just thought I would pass it along incase anyone wants a nice holiday surprise! Her diapers also tend to run small so they should fit a newborn no problem.

Also, these do require a cover like the kissaluvs etc.
#74 of 265 Old 11-22-2005, 07:19 PM

I like ordering from KellysCloset

they have free shipping ALL the time

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#75 of 265 Old 11-23-2005, 12:28 PM

www.lilbunz also has free shipping all the time and frequently have 5%off your order or more. Kellyscloset has a different selection then they do so both really have nice stuff to offer.

There are several places that have good deals, you just have to know what you are looking for!
#76 of 265 Old 11-23-2005, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymbeline

I don't soak mine. I do a cold wash to get the yucky stuff rinsed out, then I do a hot wash to actually wash them. Then an extra rinse to make sure all the detergent is rinsed out. I had problems with buildup with Tide. Anything with a fragrance and I get buildup which causes a horrible ammonia smell. I love Cheer Free. That's what I have been using for the last 6 months or so with no problems. A lot depends on your water type.
#77 of 265 Old 11-24-2005, 03:58 PM

I have notcied that most laundry detergents cause a buildup for our clothes. Then a friend was telling me one day she had a nasty load to do and as she added her powder detergent, she noticed she only had about a tablespoon left. She added what was there and the clothes came out the same clean as always.

So now we add very little detergent compared to what I used to do and the buildup is gone. Also if you use fabric sheets cut them into 3s or 4s. I had no idea what a big deal it was until we were at my parents home in Florida and Mom did our laundry. DH and dd had rashes all over their backs from the "right"amount of soap my mom uses and the fabric sheets in the dryer. She also uses the same stuff I do. I think that couples with water softeners they did not react well with our skin.

We used Dreft when dd was born but now honestly its a bit out of our budget and how much better is it?
Any other ideas for diaper washing?

#78 of 265 Old 11-24-2005, 04:16 PM

Diaper washing is really easy! Some people dont even use detergent but vinegar and baking soda. The amount of detergent you use I think totally depends upon your water. We seem to have really hard water so I have to use a whole cup to make my diapers clean.....vs other people with soft water who just need a tablespoon or so. What you basically have to do is play around with your wash and see what works for you. you also have to be careful the detergent you use. some are not recommended (like soap/glycerine based soaps, it will cause build up and not rinse away!)

Here is my basic wash routine, which is pretty similar to most others.

cold rinse, full cycle hot wash with soap, extra full cycle hot wash. (sometimes I even add an additional cold rinse) I then mostly stick everything in the dryer on low...once a month I do it on hot because it helps seal the pul in my fuzzi bunz and other pul diapers.

I know a lot of people just do the cold rinse, full cycle hot wash and and extra rinse. I do an extra full wash because my washer isnt the greatest and for better peice of mind, especially since I do add a lot of soap!

When the diapers seem to be extra stinky I will add some baking soda and vinegar to either the first wash cycle or at the end. In addition tea tree oil helps kill off the germies and give it a fresh scent. Personally I dont like tea tree oil and I add lavendar (it does the same thing and smells much better!) you can either add it with your wash, or do as I do and add it to the last rinse cycle. Just a few drops does a BIG difference in smell! nothing like some fresh lavendar scented diapers.

Also, adding tea tree oil or lavendar oil (or any essential oil within reason) to your diaper bag kills off the smell and keeps the nastys out of the bag. both the tt and lavendar oil kill off germs and bacteria. THe mother of eden/fuzzi bunz hanging diaper bag even has a little tab thingy that you can add your oil to. Otherwise a little peice of fleece or washrag thrown in there has the same effect.

I know some people have front loaders and I guess they work just as well, but many people make sure to add the extra wash due to the less amount of water used in the cycle etc.

Otherwise.....everything can be tossed in the dryer on low, but many people recommend hanging to dry. I did at first but the time it took to dry and my lack of space became a problem. My fb pilled a bit more in the dryer, but they are still just as soft and leak free. I do hang most of my covers and dry them only on occasion, but pretty much all my inserts and fitteds are dryed. Among other things hemp and sherpa take FOREVER to dry!

Oh...and for stain removal.....zout is safe to use...or in sunny days, hang it out in the sun, it bleaches out most any stain and kills off the germs at the same time! Yeah sun!

Well thats my routine. I know there was a post in the diapering forum about peoples wash routine, if you do a search you can find it. Everybody varies some but this is pretty basic. Its really not that much work, and totally worth it. I love a cute little bubble butt!
#79 of 265 Old 11-29-2005, 09:43 PM

All right mimid!! I caught your diaper bug. I am on ebay, the tp, and checking all the sites here to stock up.

So far I have pocket stuffer inserts (ebay)
cloth wipes (the kissaluv sale)
One fuzzi bunz (diaper junction sale)
wet bag (same)

plus I'm on a few other auctions. I am also in the midst of the tp so lets get a friendly competition eventually to see who has the cutest stash and the least expensive.

#80 of 265 Old 11-30-2005, 03:29 AM

Great job, Amy! Although my stash won't be as cute because there seems to be a real lack of preemie-sized cute dipes out there! Most of mine are white, but I'm hoping to find some great covers.

#81 of 265 Old 11-30-2005, 05:04 AM

Jumping over from the May DDC (hey, it's a first babe, it might end up June...) Spent all evening planning my stash. I'm trying to start with an initial stash that will last at least a year. The whole try a few of each kind *will not work* for me, cuz even though I'm all disorganized anyway, I think a half dozen different kinds of diapers would drive me insane.

My plan is 2 doz. each of infant and regular size CPF's, a half dozen hemp flat diapers, 10 kissaluvs contours, 6 kissaluvs fitted--half size 0, half size 1, 4 newborn size bummis covers and 10 in the small size.

We're gonna try EC-ing, so especially for newborn hanging 'round the house time we will probably use prefolds and kissaluvs without covers--the covers will be mostly for on the go.

Also some cloth wipes, a couple snappis, a couple of pins, and some spray lotion stuff (just can't imagine myself keeping up with mixing my own and setting up wipe warmers and such).

I'd love to try wool, but it's too expensive and I'm too lazy!

I bid on some kissaluvs contours on ebay tonight but dropped out when it reached break even point with the package deal on a WAHM site; the ending bid was $61 bucks plus shipping for ten. They retail for about 6 bucks a piece, and every website I've checked has discounts for buying more than a half dozen or so and/or free shipping, so I'm not too excited by ebay. All the other kissaluvs auction were also inching towards retail price.

Anyway, sorry to gate-crash yer DDC, but it seems I'll be putting faith in kissaluvs and CPF's. I know I can handle CPF's, but if anyone has experience with the kissaluvs, esp. the contours, I'd love to know about it. Seems they're a good trim fit and with a snappi would be easy to get on and off fast for EC-ing, and they're not too pricy. I'm figuring the fitted ones for nights and maybe car rides.
#82 of 265 Old 11-30-2005, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Is the difference between Chinese prefolds and Indian prefolds just where the fabric originates?

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#83 of 265 Old 11-30-2005, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie-dyed
Jumping over from the May DDC (hey, it's a first babe, it might end up June...) Spent all evening planning my stash. I'm trying to start with an initial stash that will last at least a year. The whole try a few of each kind *will not work* for me, cuz even though I'm all disorganized anyway, I think a half dozen different kinds of diapers would drive me insane.

My plan is 2 doz. each of infant and regular size CPF's, a half dozen hemp flat diapers, 10 kissaluvs contours, 6 kissaluvs fitted--half size 0, half size 1, 4 newborn size bummis covers and 10 in the small size.

We're gonna try EC-ing, so especially for newborn hanging 'round the house time we will probably use prefolds and kissaluvs without covers--the covers will be mostly for on the go.

Also some cloth wipes, a couple snappis, a couple of pins, and some spray lotion stuff (just can't imagine myself keeping up with mixing my own and setting up wipe warmers and such).

I'd love to try wool, but it's too expensive and I'm too lazy!

I bid on some kissaluvs contours on ebay tonight but dropped out when it reached break even point with the package deal on a WAHM site; the ending bid was $61 bucks plus shipping for ten. They retail for about 6 bucks a piece, and every website I've checked has discounts for buying more than a half dozen or so and/or free shipping, so I'm not too excited by ebay. All the other kissaluvs auction were also inching towards retail price.

Anyway, sorry to gate-crash yer DDC, but it seems I'll be putting faith in kissaluvs and CPF's. I know I can handle CPF's, but if anyone has experience with the kissaluvs, esp. the contours, I'd love to know about it. Seems they're a good trim fit and with a snappi would be easy to get on and off fast for EC-ing, and they're not too pricy. I'm figuring the fitted ones for nights and maybe car rides.
Welcome!
I also bid on those as well and dropped out when it broke even. I did get some pocket inserts and some organic seconds. I am putting my budget in the fuzzi bunz. A friend IRL from LLL gave me a "consultation" and she had the fuzzi bunz for on the go. She uses the prefolds and a wool cover at home for her 2 year old and 3 mo old.

#84 of 265 Old 11-30-2005, 11:31 AM

What does anyone know about the spray lotion??

#85 of 265 Old 11-30-2005, 01:04 PM

I think for fuzzibunz I'm gonna do the ten pack from www.thanksmama.com. Slight package discount and a free cover and free shipping.

I wonder who ended up winning that fuzzibunz auction for *over retail*?! And why?! Seems like once you add shipping, they paid a $.50 surcharge for getting used!

er, um, kissaluvs. I keep getting them confused.
#86 of 265 Old 11-30-2005, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsun
Is the difference between Chinese prefolds and Indian prefolds just where the fabric originates?
A slight difference ... chinese prefolds are wider in each size and tend to fit a bit longer because of that. But, indian prefolds are thicker and softer (though they are the same number of layers). Right now at almost 25 lbs., my 2 year old can wear premium chinese prefolds (the ones with the blue stitching) and toddler sized indian prefolds. I do love the softness and thickness of the indian ... though I like the size range of the chinese better, so it's a toss.

#87 of 265 Old 11-30-2005, 01:49 PM

tie dye- I was thinking the same thing. When I do an initial bid, I calculate what a savings would be and what the highest I would go at. I guess not everyone does that like we do which sellers love.

I will check that other site out as well.

#88 of 265 Old 11-30-2005, 06:56 PM

On ebay, I determine what I'll pay my multiplying the lowest price I've found times the quantity of dipes minus shipping and then minus 20%. Then I go into "my ebay" and add a note with my max price if I'm watching the listing or I put it in as my max bid. I refuse to pay more used.

#89 of 265 Old 12-01-2005, 03:39 PM

I still have a few bids on ebay but they have a few days left.
I snagged some good things off the tp. Once I have everything, I will list my stash.

Do I need a pail also or just a wet bag? I might make a portable wet bag as well.
Mimid- whats your grand total in $$?

Mine is just over $100 at this point.

#90 of 265 Old 12-01-2005, 05:04 PM

Someone take away my debit card please I love getting fluffymail. Holding in my hands. It is so little!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page