4 fitteds made by me from vb pattern
3 swaddlebees pockets
2 wahm pockets
1 harleyz pocket
1 crat
1 wahm fleece cover
6 nb/sm prowrap pul covers
I will probably continue to make fitteds until june
and I want to buy some more wool but I will wait until we know if the baby is a boy or girl
#122 of 265 Old 12-30-2005, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK - you guys are SO far ahead of me I am getting all anxious reading this thread (again )
A few more ??s for the CD vets:

What about Motherease system? Anyone use those?

Are wool covers too warm for a hot humid summer climate?

Indian or Chinese prefolds? And would you buy preemie size or just stick to infant?

I think I am going to primarily be a prefold/ cover kinda girl......in that case, how many covers to start? I was thinking 6-8 size small.

Sorry for the ??, we are on a tight budget and I over-analyze everything

Thanks for all the great linds, and Leigh Ann, thanks for the link for the wipes!
And am searching for a nice wipe "solution."

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#123 of 265 Old 12-30-2005, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sarah- start watching the tp. I am getting 90% of my stash there. There is always a mama unloading stuff so check it out!! Everything has been really good so far.

Once I get everything in I can post my stash and maybe pics too.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#124 of 265 Old 12-30-2005, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsun
OK - you guys are SO far ahead of me I am getting all anxious reading this thread (again )
A few more ??s for the CD vets:

What about Motherease system? Anyone use those?

Are wool covers too warm for a hot humid summer climate?

Indian or Chinese prefolds? And would you buy preemie size or just stick to infant?

I think I am going to primarily be a prefold/ cover kinda girl......in that case, how many covers to start? I was thinking 6-8 size small.

Sorry for the ??, we are on a tight budget and I over-analyze everything

Thanks for all the great linds, and Leigh Ann, thanks for the link for the wipes!
My girlfriend uses motherease airflow snap covers and gave me 4 covers - she's used them since her 7yo was an infant and loves them. I'd be happy to loan you the covers she gave me (I'm sure she wouldn't mind) as I don't really plan to use them. There are 2 white, one paw print print and one light blue. They are in good condition (she hasn't had these since her 7yo was a babe, only for the last 1-2years - lol) and are size small. LMK if you'd like to have them and PM me your addy. You could just paypal me the $3.85 for shipping and I'll send you the 4 of them with an infant ubcpf and a premium cpf to try/use and you can just mail them back whenever you're done.

For prefolds, I used to only know about CPFs, but from what I've heard the manufacturer changed and now the latest CPFs are not as soft and absorbant so I might go with IPFs if I was buying new. And I'd just go with infant size, I don't the preemies will last very long. When I first started I only had premium (size up from infant, one size down from toddler) and those worked for me, but I started when my dd3 was 3 mo old.

I do think 6-8 covers would be "enough" but I'd probably try to get as many as 10 considering you'll want to wash every 2-3 days. You'll only need to change the covers if they get yucky somehow, but especially once you're getting the hang of it and with those newborn blowouts, you might want to be on the safe side

Finally, wool is another thing I've never used myself, but all my friends who CD swear by. As a system IMO it would not be too hot for any weather/climate, most wool jersey is pretty lightweight and the soaker-style really breathe well. I even used fleece through the summer and it wasn't a problem. The nice thing with summer babies is that we won't have to put bottoms on them - they can just hang out in their cute CDs and t-shirts

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#125 of 265 Old 12-30-2005, 12:46 PM

What about Motherease system? Anyone use those? I have not tried them but a girlfriend of mine has and she really likes them. I did hear the sandys are better then the motherease one size.

Are wool covers too warm for a hot humid summer climate? I used mostly wool on ds last summer and loved it way more breathablr then pul

Indian or Chinese prefolds? And would you buy preemie size or just stick to infant I got ipf fot the new baby on the way heard they were more absorbent then cpf. I got both preemie and infant. I can use the preemies for inserts/doublers later

how many covers to start? I was wondering the same thing. Right now I have 9 covers pul, wool, and fleece
#126 of 265 Old 12-30-2005, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcimom
The nice thing with summer babies is that we won't have to put bottoms on them - they can just hang out in their cute CDs and t-shirts
Thats why it would be fun to invest in some funky covers! Its true though- dd was born in late may and hung out in a tee and dipe or a onesie the entire summer. She later on hated to be bundled up. I really do not know what I would do w a winter baby come to think of it

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#127 of 265 Old 12-30-2005, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Leslie, if those 9 covers will actually fit the babe from birth then I think you are all set. I wouldn't have less than 5 newborn-fitting covers for that first month. A cheaper way to stretch you cover situation might be to get some NB sized Kushies AIOs, they are less pricey than newborn covers and will get you through those hours when every cover that fits is hanging to dry. I do not like Kushies in larger sizes, but I luuuuurve the NB ones. I have 15 of them. Now watch me a have a 10-lb. babe who only wears them for a week.
#128 of 265 Old 12-30-2005, 09:10 PM

My stash update
(not that anyone cares but me still it's fun to type it out and look at it - what a geek!)

16 small fuzzibunz with joeybunz or little lambs hemp inserts (borrowed)
6 small wahm pocket with little lamb hemp inserts ($80)
6 assorted small fitteds: kissaluvs, skcoon, ecobaby (borrowed)
4 assorted sized fitteds: cuddlebuns, wahm, fcb (from dd3)
6 assorted small covers: diaperaps, bumkins (borrowed)
6 assorted AIOS (girly so I won't use if it's a boy): lukesdrawers, mudpie, other wahm (from dd3)
10 infant ubcpfs (borrowed)
12 little lambs wipes ($6)

And then for 4-6mo+ (depending on how big baby grows) I have:
15 PT fuzzibunz with joeybunz inserts (from dd3)

So - all I really *need* it would seem is 2 xl bummis totes for my diaper pail and another dozen wipes. I even bought a little cubby to store the dipes and my wipe warmer (I've found after the first two that I don't like the changing table and I prefer to just have the changing supplies near the floor and to change baby on the floor).

Sigh...y'all...this whole infant stash is laundered and sitting next to me in cute little piles...they're so darn cute, I just want to keep them out for the next 20 weeks to look at...

I think I need help - lol.

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#129 of 265 Old 12-31-2005, 01:43 PM

I have not washed them all yet but yes they are sooo darn cute.

I will post the stash this week- promise and not really anyone cares as much as its fun to see what everyone has.

Next we will do pics....

#130 of 265 Old 01-04-2006, 12:45 AM

I love looking at my stash. I just put a load of prefolds in the dryer and kissaluvs in the washer. I'm washing all the unbleached stuff 4 times alternating using detergents and will do one more cycle without detergent closer to June.

I can't not wait until the baby's room is set up so I can set up the diapers.

wool in the summer - I think it is fine...definitely more breathable than PUL

number of covers - I say some where between 6-8 based on what I've read. Decide how often you plan to wash and then work back from that.
#131 of 265 Old 01-04-2006, 01:01 AM

Mamas, I was bad : I ordered 10 custom Very Baby Very Basic AIOs from Flutterby Baby. I got hemp! I got microfleece! I got FOUR EMBROIDERED DIPES - "Princess," "Sarah," "Angel" and a picture of a bunch of cherries.

So now I have 15 newborn Kushies AIOs that were used and quite a good value, and 10 small VBs that cost the same as two weeks of groceries. Good thing I like to wash my dipes every day, because there's no way I can get more smalls!

Oh, and for those who are breaking in new dipes, esp. unbleached and hemp: I just got two new Ducky Bunz hemp inserts for ds, and just started using them without stripping out the oils. Now ALL my diapers are leaking and need to be stripped. STRIP STRIP STRIP STRIP STRIP those new dipes!
#132 of 265 Old 01-04-2006, 02:24 AM

I am spending the evening sorting through boxes and boxes of baby clothes, and diapers. some hand me downs, and some new Then.. I know what I have,and what i need!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#133 of 265 Old 01-04-2006, 12:25 PM

I took pics of my stash as I put it into rubbermaid containers because it was taking over my dd's closet I am going to have my dh get them online so I can share my sick obsession with you

I am moving on to ordering a few smalls and mediums now. I have way to many newborn diapers. Now in my defense, my sister cloth diapered her babes and is as crazy about it as I am and her children are all potty learned so she has been buying diapers for the new baby too.

Oh Very Baby diapers are awesome. I used them with my last. I have 2 xs very baby's now. They are so tiny.
#134 of 265 Old 01-04-2006, 12:51 PM

maybe I should start calling it that- sick obsession. Hmmmnnn

#135 of 265 Old 01-04-2006, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsun

i can't remember where i read it, but it sounded like a good wipe solution. they used a little water, a little dr. bronners lav. soap, a touch of olive oil, tea tree oil, and a bit of lav. oil

she said it really helped get the bootie clean after a poopie diaper and she never had to deal with diaper rashes.
#136 of 265 Old 01-04-2006, 06:39 PM

i love reading what you ladies have in your stashes!! that makes it easier for me to see what i need.

i've been looking at ebay and a few other links and i see so much i want to buy, but we don't get paid again till the 30th and money's tight from the holidays, so i have to wait!!! wwaaaahhh! i can't wait!!!

i plan on using mostly fitted, but is it best if i buy a dozen or so prefolds for just in case?
#137 of 265 Old 01-04-2006, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2girlies

i plan on using mostly fitted, but is it best if i buy a dozen or so prefolds for just in case?
I would.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#138 of 265 Old 01-04-2006, 11:58 PM

store closing- some pretty good deals...

http://natures-friend.com/store/Default.asp

#139 of 265 Old 01-05-2006, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st
store closing- some pretty good deals...

http://natures-friend.com/store/Default.asp
Thanks for the link - I just ordered 18 premie prefolds (for me ppd).

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#140 of 265 Old 01-05-2006, 12:53 AM

not a problem- I orders some prefolds as well. What was left of newborn and a few bigger ones. Plus the pail liner they had left.

OK, I think I am ready now w my stash. I now have to go thru and photo to share and inventory.

#141 of 265 Old 01-05-2006, 03:07 AM

Ok last night I inventoried everthing.. and made an excel spreadsheet of all the size clothes and dipes. yes.. I have problems
so...
I have... drumroll please!!!
20 infant CPFs (none larger yet)
6 kissaluvs sz0
6 kissaluvs sz1
6 kissaluv contours (newborn)
6 wool covers either small or xs
2 fleece covers sm/xs
3-4 soakers (wrap/shorts/soakers - i'll be making more )
8 proraps/bummis (and I just bought a few more of the tp, but since they aren't here yet, they don't count)
4 fuzzibuns (2sm/2 xs)
2 random pocket dipes
4 random AIOs

And that's just the small/newborn stuff. I just got a HUGE box of things from a friend that are larger. Sigh. I'm pretty stoked here folks!
I think I am set for the newborn stage.. although i may buy a few more CPFs.. so I don't have to do laundry everyday!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#142 of 265 Old 01-05-2006, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama
I think I am set for the newborn stage.. although i may buy a few more CPFs.. so I don't have to do laundry everyday!
I think with that stash you'll be able to get away with every other day even if you don't add more CPFS, after a bit you might even be able to do every third day. That's quite a stash! How exciting

#143 of 265 Old 01-05-2006, 01:16 PM

Anyone get any newborn mutts. I have about 6 of them and love them. They are so soft and cute. I think they will fit for a little bit.
#144 of 265 Old 01-05-2006, 11:14 PM

I'm planning on getting two of the nb mutts. Haven't done it yet. I just had a friend look over my planned stash (mostly stuff I'd registered for) and she made a lot of changes, since she's got a 2mo in cd's right now. She knew which diapers run big/small, stuff I didn't know at all (first babe). So I'm basically just going to redo the whole plan. It's hard to leave this stuff for other people to buy because it's so fun to buy them myself! They're so adorable! Now, who can say that about plastic dipes?

Lisa - dd 6-06
#145 of 265 Old 01-06-2006, 11:45 AM

what do you experienced ladies think about the kushies, both aio and fitted. good for a newborn, run small/big? a site i saw has a newborn 5pk of aio's for $39 and an 8pk of the fitted for $35. are those good prices?

about prefolds, which is better, chinese or indian? which lasts longer, etc? im going to get 2-3dz prefolds, 10 fitted's (kushies, kissaluvs), 10 covers, bummis and proraps (do i need more?), maybe around 5 aio's, and a few fuzzi bunz. i need to get a diaper pail and a washable liner. and im going to do cloth wipes too. im thinking just the gerber wash cloths you can get at the store...

how does that stash sound? do i need more? i want to do laundry every 2 days and i'd love it if i could do it every 3, wishful thinking huh!
#146 of 265 Old 01-06-2006, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ahhh - i have literally spent HOURS scouring around trying to find the best deal on prefolds.....i have found they range from about 1.40-1.50 (non-organic) each. Does that sound right? I think Im losing it

Leigh Ann, thank you SO much for the awesome offer to lend me the motherease! That was really a very very nice thing to do I actually just got some bummis/ prowraps off the tp and i have some litewraps already, so i am alomst all set in that department - so I don't need to take you up on it, but I truley appreciate it

OK - SO - those Muttaquin dipes are so damn cute, I can barely stand it! And what are your recs on a good wet bag? Is a wet bag necessary? or would garbage bags suffice? I guess a wet bag is more earth friendly, hmmmmmm.....

One last thing! About the night-time.......loooking for your best reccomendations....doublers? best covers? best tips?

you mamas are the best!

OH YEAH! I saw this wipe solution on earthbaby.com

1 cup distilled water
1-2 drops tea tree oil (anti-bac)
1-2 drops lavendar (soothing, also anti-bac)

in a spray bottle or put in a container w/ wipes.

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#147 of 265 Old 01-06-2006, 04:49 PM

Sarah-That sounds about right on prefolds. 1st, check out that site that was just listed as having a sale b/c I think theirs were $1/each!! If that doesn't pan out, I really recommend Colleen at www.naturalbabies.com b/c she has flat rate shipping ($3.95 and pfs are expensive to ship) and also b/c she is a great wahm

You can also get wet bags from her site - I really like the bummis - get a few mediums for when you are out and about and get 2 xl for your diaper pail. It may seem expensive, but it's worth it, it really helps with the stink to have a great wet bag/pail liner - a trash bag is gonna be yucky. And with the bummis totes, you can just wash them with the diapers. Dump it all in the washer

Finally, w/regards to wipe solution - baby bits are great. You just put them in with water in your wipe warmer and voila! Colleen also has these I believe at her site, and I'm not sure what the original wham is, but if you google "baby bits" and "wipe solution" I'm sure you'll find it.

Apparently I never had a heavy wetter at night b/c I always used the same as I did for day. I had great results with a fuzzibunz with hemp insert, a fleece cover with a hemp insert (fleece can wick when compressed, but my girls move all over in their sleep so no compression worries here!) - basically hemp is really absorbant and worked well for me!

#148 of 265 Old 01-06-2006, 05:02 PM

Leighann- those organic prefolds on Colleen's website are so wonderful looking!! I emailed her to see if they are in the package deals.

#149 of 265 Old 01-06-2006, 09:13 PM

Kelly - I had 5 NB Kushie's AIOs for my first baby and loved them. Alas, I found the next size up Kushies to not be absorbant enough. But newborns pee such tiny amounts, thiose Kushies were perfect.

I bought two more packs used on eBay, now I have 15 tiny Kushies. NB dipes are used for such a brief period, buying used seems like a good idea to me. I paid maybe $40 for those 10 eBay dipes (2 packs). I got a month of use out of them with ds, hoping for the same with dd. I really, really loved the fit and not having to mess with a separate cover.
#150 of 265 Old 01-24-2006, 01:28 AM

I'm having a boy - anyone with a girl on the way but who CD'd prior boys want to trade some dipes? I have:

a lovely pastel tie-dye heart Luke's Drawers AIO-have to check size
a WAHM pastel fairy print fitted-says medium, I say small
a FCB tie-dye heart fitted-have to check size, I'm thinking size 1
a Hello Kitty mudpie baby (winter theme)-size medium
a Hot Pink Fuzzibunz with Joeybunz insert-size PT
two lilac Fuzzibunz with Joeybunz inserts-size PT

and...

the "car" diaper - a vintage Hello Kitty AIO that is in pretty good shape actually and works well, but looks so odd that I just kept in the car trunk for emergency situations

Everything except the fairy print fitted and mudpie baby will probably have to wait until baby is 3-4mo or in size mediums. Even though both of these diapers (fairy print and mudpie hello kitty) say mediums - I think they are closer to smalls that would work from 12+ pounds.

I don't "need" any boy dipes, so I'd be happy to take funded paypal, but I thought it might be more fun to swap with a mama who had prior boy(s) and is now getting a girl. I'd swap for dipes or other boy paraphanlia - if you're interested, just try me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page