Cloth Diapers for Beginners - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 265 Old 01-27-2006, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcimom
Yay! The first purchase is exciting!! Only 20-30 more purchases to go to achieve bliss

did I get it yet??

remember, some I won't use for a while in my stash but I think I'm set- am I missing anything??

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#182 of 265 Old 01-27-2006, 10:17 PM

Amy-
There's a variety of ways to wash wool. Here's a few off the top of my head:
1. Buy specific wool wash, usually from a wahm. Tends to smell very yummy, typically has lanolin already as part of the wash, but can be expensive, depending on how frequently you end up needing to wash your wool (we use wool at night, and often ds gets his cover dirty before I can get to him in the morning so I wash more frequently than if he only wore wool without poopy getting on it).

2. Use a gentle soap like Dr. Bronner's or Johnson & Johnson for the occasional wash, and then do a specific lanolizing every few months - you can just use Lansiloh or PureLan, melt it in a small cup of hot water, and add it to your wool laundry.

3. What I do - use SportWash/SensiClean. I have been using this for about the last year - year and a half, and don't lanolize my wool at all. It restores the natural lanolin in the wool. It's fairly cheap in the long run, easy to do (no extra steps), and actually doesn't smell like anything, which I kind of like.

Also, check your washing machine - you may be able to wash your wool in there. I have a wool setting, and put my covers in there with SportWash, with cold water, and then hang them to dry. They are typically dried overnight because most of the water is spun out in the spin cycle.

If your machine doesn't have a wool/handwash setting, then you'll have to use the sink. But I've heard of mamas using only the spin cycle to spin the water out (others have used salad spinners too!) - it definitely helps the dry time!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#183 of 265 Old 01-28-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st
did I get it yet??

remember, some I won't use for a while in my stash but I think I'm set- am I missing anything??
That looks so fun - achieving bliss means you get in the middle and surround yourself with the freshly laundered fluff - do you feel satisfied or is something missing? If you feel like...if I only had... then you need to keep shopping. Otherwise, you're set!

Seriously, that sounds good to me...I'm not a fitted/cover person though - do you have enough covers? I'm not versed enough in that lingo to tell what's a cover and what's a fitted by namebrand.

Thanks for sharing!

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#184 of 265 Old 01-28-2006, 01:13 PM

I'm happy to say that I think my diaper stash is complete through M/L. I don't have much exclusive L stuff, but I get to that later. I just want to get one more XL and M bummis tote. I started my collection over a year ago. I picked up an orange NB/SM Loveybums diaper and cover, and M citrus Benjamuffins (2 dipes, 1 cover) and 2 weeks ago on TP. I don't need anymore diapers, but I can be persuaded easily.

I'm really looking forward to cloth diapering. My mom is ready and my SIL seems to be impressed with the diapers I have. She assumed we were using flats and pins. I do like flats so I may get some to add to my collection.

Now I need to find a cloth friendly daycare. I haven't started the search yet, so I can't complain.
#185 of 265 Old 01-28-2006, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds2003

Now I need to find a cloth friendly daycare. I haven't started the search yet, so I can't complain.
You might have to compromise on using disposable wipes with the cd in daycare.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#186 of 265 Old 02-06-2006, 04:42 PM

ok ladies, how do I care for all these wool covers I have now??? I have covers, longies, shorties you name it. I will take pics and post later for drooling sessions but now- how do I wash these and with what??

#187 of 265 Old 02-06-2006, 05:29 PM

here is a good video about lanolizing.

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/lanolize.htm

You only need to do that whenever you notice that your cover isn't hold the potty as well. Seems to be once a month for me.

I do wash my wool covers more often. I love love love kookaburra wool wash. You can get a sample here.
http://hyenacart.com/prod_details.php?id=63360&vid=67
#188 of 265 Old 02-06-2006, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsun
Or do you keep some moist in a tub or something? Just water - I think I would like to make a little solution maybe with some lavendar or something.
You guys rock!
Be careful with essential oils. Some (like lavendar) can be irritating or allergenic to young children. Go with very small amounts and ones with soothing, antibiotic or anteseptic properties, such as tea tree, witchhazel, aloe. Not echinacea, though. It is a relative of the ragweeds and can trigger allergies, as well.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#189 of 265 Old 03-02-2006, 11:16 PM

Thought I would revive this oldie but goodie thread!

I of course have to change course and I am getting premie dipes from Coleen at NAtural Babies -thanks Leighann for the lead on her!

I am doing xs fuzzi bunz. I also have some used prefolds from the tp and I might cut them down to size and sew the ends. I will also need a xs cover for those and hopefully my snappis fit them!

Mimid- today I saw 5 minute old triplets who are bunking near Maggie- they are all so beautiful and take your breath away! I doubt they will spend much time in there though since they are all good size and doing real well.

#190 of 265 Old 03-18-2006, 03:04 PM

So, mamas .... how are those diaper stashes coming along?

mine is teeny, tiny ... but it is suddenly dawning on me that this little man will be joining us in 3 months (or less!) and I'm feeling that nesting/getting ready for baby/preparing bug coming along - took long enough, eh?

I actually have a small amount of hand-me-down dipes and covers I haven't even gone through yet - can you believe it?

So, how are the rest of you CDing June mamas doing?

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#191 of 265 Old 03-18-2006, 03:27 PM

I think my stash is complete I have been given SO MANY hand me downs it's sick! I have a whole bag of things still to go through and add to my ( don't laugh ) spreadsheet.
I know I have enough to get through the new born stage at least!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#192 of 265 Old 03-18-2006, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I turned into a May mamas, but I still follow these thread...

I know that I have ENOUGH dipes since I like to wash every day (15 NB Kushies and 11 Small VB AIOs), but I am sorely tempted to get some NB fitteds to go under some grorgeous teensy wool I got in a swap. Girly wool is so much more fun than the "manly" wool I had for my son.

So... anybody who has overdone it on the NB fitteds should probably PM me, I am very weak.
#193 of 265 Old 03-18-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingKara
So, mamas .... how are those diaper stashes coming along?

?
I had plenty before. Now I have to add preemie so its way out of hand. way way out of hand.

I even weeded out the boyish stuff to other diaper loonies like myself. It literally took 10 minutes on the tp to get them out the door. And this is the yellow like stuff not the blue!

#194 of 265 Old 03-19-2006, 10:17 AM

my stash is complete. If I buy one more CD item, DH will have a cow. Now I'm started a soft sole show obsession.

ETA: I meant to type soft sole shoe
#195 of 265 Old 03-19-2006, 02:01 PM

I've gotten virtually nowhere. We've been in the slow season at DHs second job, so I've really not had the $$ to buy much of anything.

I've made 4 VB fitteds from the AIO pattern. I have 2 covers. And uhh... gosh I think that's it. Oh man, that's baaaad huh?

I just got 4 VB AIOs in the mail from the tp, but they're NB size and I'm looking at them and going "there's no way I'll ever have a baby small enough to fit in these..." Since DS was almost 11 pounds. What was I thinking buying those?
#196 of 265 Old 03-19-2006, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds2003
my stash is complete. If I buy one more CD item, DH will have a cow. Now I'm started a soft sole show obsession.
now theres an idea....

Maybe one of us will end up on that show on A&E, Intervention. They will take the letters Natural Mama and jumble them up somehow to spell cloth diaper junkie or something. Where would we be sent for help? The pampers factory??

#197 of 265 Old 03-21-2006, 01:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

i dont have any diapers yet. my mom is buying ds's stash for us I'm thinking ...

2doz infant pf's *up to 15lbs*
2doz premium pf's *15-30lbs*
6 Bumkin covers red puppy small *10-15lbs*
6 Bumkin covers red farm med *15-22lbs*
10 Bumkins AIO blue bug med *12-22lbs*
5 bumkin AIO zebra small *6-12lbs*
3 snappis

added my updated list its the list i sent to my mom, plus we can always buy more later figured this was good enough plus we also have 2packages of Newborn pampers we were given to use up also.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#198 of 265 Old 03-21-2006, 12:06 PM

I love this site, as I learned everything I needed to learn about CDing from it!
http://www.diapershop.com/index.php/action/faq/

Also, we got this package, plus a couple extra Snappis and a dozen extra prefolds and a few doublers for nighttime:
http://diaperjunction.com/catalog.php?category=29

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#199 of 265 Old 03-21-2006, 01:22 PM

Wow, what a thread! I spent all morning reading this. Your stashes sound pretty impressive. Mine will all be homemade, except I may buy a few covers. So far I have everything cut out to make 24 small fitteds but I need to find my sewing machine before I can do anything (I don't actually sew, but my grandma got me a sewing machine a while back). Boy am I nervous about sewing all those diapers, but the price is right. My mom owns a fabric store and can give me all the materials I need. Even if she charged me (which she said she isn't going to) it'd be wholesale and would cost about $2/diaper to make! I do think I will buy some prefolds, too, which ironically (with shipping and currency exchange, since I'm from Canada) will probably end up being more expensive than my fitteds!

I'm also working on some liners. They seems pretty easy, I cut out all my left over diaper flannel (after cutting out enough for 24 diapers) into liner-shaped pieces and I think I'll sandwich a piece cut from an old towel between two flannel pieces for a nice doubler. I'm also making some breastpads (since I'm already leaking)

Heidi mum to Isaac (06/06), Matea (04/08), and Naomi (04/10)
#200 of 265 Old 03-21-2006, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

I thought that I had my stash complete - now I am second guessing myself I think I am going to get a dozen preemie prefolds - do you guys think this is a good idea?? I have 24 infant pfs along with 6 KL 0s and 5 other fitteds. I am thinking the preemie size will come in handy for at least a few weeks -

I really also have to work on baby care stash! Like a good butt cream, powder and such. I got the Northern Essence wool wash (yum) and it looks like they have great (natrual) baby products, too - does anyone use their stuff??

I think I also need one special nb/ small soaker - but $$ is soooooooo tight right now, that just has to wait.

Oh yes, last thing, I want a changing pad for the diaper bag - any suggestions?

the list never ends!!!!!!!!!!!

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#201 of 265 Old 03-22-2006, 02:11 PM

I think im finally done with my nb stash. unless I see something I can't resist We have:

nb:

2 dz preemie prefolds (unbleached)
5 xs vb aio's
8 nb fitteds (random brands)
2 sz 0 kissaluvs
3 nb proraps
1 nb cover (random brand)
10 nb kushies aio (but look like smalls)

smalls:

2 dz infant prefolds (unbleached)
2 sm sugarpeas
3 sm bumkins aio's cow jumped over moon print
2 sm wahm aio's
2 sm fitteds (random brand)
3 sm covers (random brand)
1 sm gerber velcro cover
1 sm bumkins cover farm print

accessories:

30 cloth wipes
10 dritz pins

still need:

more doublers
more wipes
more nb covers
more small aio's/fitteds
more small covers
diaper pail and liner
wetbag
fun new diaperbag

thats about it! I kept feeling like I didn't have enough, but now that I've listed it all it looks ok, I think? what do you veteran ladies think? this will be the first baby we cloth diaper, so Im a newbie
#202 of 265 Old 03-22-2006, 08:39 PM

I'm almost done sewing, though I need to get back in there and finish because I have slings and pj bottoms (for my mom ) to make as well. I think we are going to end up with the following (I still need to get a couple more covers):

12 Kissaluv size 0
12-24 Infant prefolds (I have 12 already and it depends on how many more my best friend has)
8 Imse Vimse organic flannel contours, plus 4 that I made (ds#2 is wearing these right now)
1-2 Bumpy NB Wool covers (I have one and might buy one more)
2 SugarPeas Wool covers (size small)
2 Bummis Small covers
2-4 Bumpy NB covers (probably either Soft or Night)
8-12 VB Small AIO's (I have a couple completely done, six waiting for the last of the aplix to be sewn on, and a few more cut and waiting for assembly)

Now I just need to get a bit more on top of p/t'ing ds#2. He does great when naked around the house, but not when there's anything between his legs. I would love him to be completely out of dipes during the day when the baby comes (and it'll be summer so it'll be warmer too), but I'm not sure if that will happen. Though I did get ds#1 in underwear two weeks before his brother was born, so it could happen!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#203 of 265 Old 03-22-2006, 08:46 PM

Welll I think my diaper list is complete.. but i think i need some more accessories....
This is just the infant/xs list
35 CPF
9 Kissaluv sz 0
5 Kissaluv contour sz 0
3 wool covers
1 fleece cover
2 soaker wraps
2 soakers
17 (yes, 17) proraps or bummis covers
2 xs fuzzibuns
2 sm fuzzibuns
18 doublers
6 snappis

What else do I need.. besides a diaper bag and wetbags?

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#204 of 265 Old 03-22-2006, 09:16 PM

updated list

50 kissaluv wipes (bought at their clearance)
25 odds/ends wipes thru tp, wahm ones
6 snappis (tp someone just stuck them in)
17 newborn indian prefold
5 indian standard
5 organic standard
3 fun organic
med vermont diaper wool cover
2 wool wahms in small and med in a pretty purple and magenta
3 prowrap classics
2 med green earths
1 bummis med
1 cute swim
6 organic small vermont diaper comp
3 eco baby aio organic
5 kissaluvs
11 Fuzzibunz smalls w inserts
6 mediums fuzzbunzi w inserts
4 wahm made pockets w inserts
5 med wahm aio made of a prefold
2 med sugarpeas
1 med very baby
about 4 different bags to put the soiled ones in.
pair of wool longies

plus my preemie stuff
4 more kissaluvs
14 fzz bnz xs plus inserts
19 pre pfs
a couple of aplix
3 xs covers

I forget what else now...

#205 of 265 Old 04-16-2006, 10:30 AM

I thought I would revive this thread. We are almost there. Are your stashes ready?
#206 of 265 Old 04-17-2006, 11:10 AM

I decided to start slowly, because I don't know how big my baby will be and because I don't know what type of system I'll prefer. I have:

5 Kissaluv 0s
22 infant CPF
6 prorap covers, small
2 bsww, small
3 reuzm aios
14 cloth wipes (cheapie washcloths) to start. may buy more, i obviously need more or will have to use disposable
pins
snappi
diaper pail liner

I have spent about $80. Everything but the "wipes" was bought gently used. I would also like to get a used fuzzibunz to try, but I think I will hold off on wool for now (would like to try later).
At first my husband thought I was crazy and he kind of rolled his eyes at me, now I think he's kind of into it.
#207 of 265 Old 04-17-2006, 01:34 PM

Heres our stash

2doz infant unbleached prefolds *up to 15lbs*
2doz premium unbleached prefolds *15-30lbs
6 Bumkins Covers~Small~Red Farm~ *10-15 lbs*
6 Bumkins Covers~Med~Blue Farm~*15-22 lbs*
5 Bumkins AIO's~Small~Leopard*they were out of zebra*~*6-12lbs*
8 Bumkin AIO's~Med~Blue Bug~*12-22 lbs.*
5 Mint Snappi's

i also have newborn sposies incase i need them.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#208 of 265 Old 04-17-2006, 11:39 PM

nak so I can't list everything, but here's some pics! I also have a dozen each of preemie & infant pfs, lots of wrap covers and wool, plus another 20 or so dipes I am in the process of sewing.

Newborns:
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ma/NB%20Dipes/

Smalls:
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...Small%20Dipes/
#209 of 265 Old 04-19-2006, 09:17 PM

I took a cloth dipe class hosted by the local cloth dipe stoe (we are a bit lucky in that aspect). They gave great advice like using these dipe liners that are similare to dryer sheets I guess, they sell them on all kinds of sites, but they are flushable if soiled from solids and washable and reusable several times for just urine. Also unless you really want a scented bottom or baby has a rash, water is just fine for babys bum. Keep a little spray bottle in your dipe bag and with your home stash and use that to moisten babys bum before you use your wipes. That way you dont have to store you cloth wipes in a cleaning solution, which can go bad in a few days depending on the weather where you live. A wet bag is a must for outtings and I read several good suggestions on dipe pails in the pp.

I am using cpf also and have made several adorable covers, I choose these because they are easiest to wash and dry and are the cheepest. Being that I will be breastfeeding I wont have to worry about flushing solids, just toss the dipes in the wash...makes things easier for dh too. With cloth wipes you just toss those with the dipes and wash everything together.

I gets lots of soap suggestions and have decided to just stick with Arm and Hammer, with vinegar in the rinse cycle and I use those dryer balls for drying or just will hang them in the sun during the summer (helps with stains too). Anywhays that my 4-5 cents worth.
#210 of 265 Old 04-19-2006, 09:37 PM

very good advice riki!

The spray bottle is awesome too, I never thought of that. I am going to get some of those disposable liners to have.

I just received my mini shower I put an iso on for the tp here. That should complete my stash but I need those liners as well. Even though Maggie is breastfed and getting my milk, she still gets a fortifier in the milk and a tad of preemie formula to give her some much needed weight gain to catch up. So I will use those liners to prevent stains if anything.
But I find from her blow outs the best thing is warm water with a few drops of lavendar and tea tree oil to soak and out the stains come after laundering. The hospital sends her stuff home with us and we bring it back otherwise it would be impossible for them to keep things straight.

But stains come right out in the sun like others have said.

Also Maggie is going to be a baby model this summer/fall at my friends babysitter certification class. She needs babies to show how to change diapers and even better- cloth diapered!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page