Cloth Diapers for Beginners - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 265 Old 07-27-2006, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta
I'm having a pocket disaster though. All my pockets (7 Sm FB, 1 SM Ella's pocket, 1 Wonderoo) leak out the leg holes. No, there are no gaps/gaping around the legs. Yes, his penis is pointed down. I swear I've tried every snap combination, every insert/stuffer under the sun, including rolling up the sides of a prefold so there is a tunnel for his weinie, with more fabric toward the legs - nothing works. I did, however, buy them all used, so I guess stripping is the next thing to do. I can't really see that this will work, since the inserts are always wet, too, but at this point I'll try anything.
I almost guarantee you they need stripping. Try this. Pour some water onto one - I bet you it will just bead right up. I got 18 fuzzibunz from a friend and they all 'leaked' - I'd never had a boy b4 so I thought it was that. Wrong. The fleece was repelling. I poured it on to test one and half hour later, the water was still there beaded up on the surface. I know you said the inserts were wet, but perhaps there is just enough compression that some sinks in through the fleece while the rest repells and goes out the side?

I stripped one time and have had no problems since. Wash them in the sink with plain Dawn dishwashing liquid. Scrub gently with a scrub brush. Then put them through the wash like you normally would. Voila! Then just make sure when you do your diaper laundry you are not using the "natural" detergents and are only using a small amount so you don't get more build up and thus repelling fleece.

I hope it works. If that isn't the problem though and they just don't "work" for your little man, the FBs are pretty easy to sell and get a good return on. Try the TP here or even eBay...

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 265 Old 07-27-2006, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm now hating our stash.

Any mammas near me want to buy it......
heres the link to what i'm selling ........Stash

i bought a pattern online for a AIO so i'm gonan try and make him some AIOs. I feel like a total cloth diaper failure and that everyone was right since i'm not really sticking to cloth diapering him right now.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#243 of 265 Old 07-27-2006, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I stripped one time and have had no problems since. Wash them in the sink with plain Dawn dishwashing liquid. Scrub gently with a scrub brush. Then put them through the wash like you normally would. Voila! Then just make sure when you do your diaper laundry you are not using the "natural" detergents and are only using a small amount so you don't get more build up and thus repelling fleece.
nak

Thanks, LeighAnne! I just sent DH out for some dawn!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#244 of 265 Old 07-27-2006, 01:41 PM

There are a few mamas looking- but for meds and above. My hemperoos are smalls.

If anyone dosent want their microterrys LMK or trade for the hemps

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#245 of 265 Old 07-27-2006, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st
There are a few mamas looking- but for meds and above. My hemperoos are smalls.

If anyone dosent want their microterrys LMK or trade for the hemps
i think it was tiffer23 who bought my small fbs and was asking for more inserts if you want to try pming her...

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#246 of 265 Old 07-27-2006, 05:03 PM

I'm all about Fuzzi Bunz. It's all I use and I love them. They work so much better than disposables ever did. They're expensive, but I'm saving them for our next baby. Yeah, I'm already thinking about that. :
#247 of 265 Old 07-27-2006, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia
I'm all about Fuzzi Bunz. It's all I use and I love them. They work so much better than disposables ever did. They're expensive, but I'm saving them for our next baby. Yeah, I'm already thinking about that. :
and they will last too! and even if you didn't use them again...they have great resale value...much better option than disposables on all counts

#248 of 265 Old 07-27-2006, 05:23 PM

I have gotten all of my FB either hand me downs, or used. and they will be passed to my friend Joi who is due in october.. then to the next mama in our group who has a babe.. then hopefully back to me for our next installment!

Amy.. i'm seriously thinking about taking those hemps off of your hands. They fit small FBs? How many do you have and how much??

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#249 of 265 Old 07-27-2006, 06:03 PM

Right after I had Abigail, I attended a LaLeche League meeting and met someone there who distributed cloth diapers. I bought a bunch from her, natural, unbleached diapers (I think I bought 3 dozen?) and a couple different styles of diaper covers and some snappies. BTY, I don't like the covers that have snaps as much as the velcro closures because they just didn't seem to adjust well enough.
I had a few problems with them that made me just give up and go to disposables.
#1 They took absolutely forever to dry. I would dry them on high and have to leave them in for at least two hours, sometimes for 3 hours, in order to get them dry. It's too expensive to run my gas dryer that long. Also, we were advised to first wash cold, no soap, 2nd wash hot with soap, and 3rd wash hot with no soap to completely rinse detergent from them. Between 3 washes and all that drying, I felt like all I was doing was cleaning dirty diapers.
#2 I absolutely couldn't stand the smell of the dirty ones waiting to be washed. I ended up washing them every day, even if there weren't enough for a large load, and that also seemed a waste of electricity, and time to dry them. My mom suggested I do what she did, which was first rinse them in the toilet to get poop out, then soak them in a bucket filled with bleach water until I got low on diapers and then wash them. Only problem there is keeping Abigail and Brittni out of a bucket of bleach water... does not sound like a risk I want to take.
#3 Several nights they leaked right through the covers, even though I was changing her at least 2 times overnight (within 6 hours). Not pleasant at all.
#4 They ended up being more expensive than disposables. She outgrew them so fast, it hardly seemed worth the $100 we invested in getting the whole getup when they no longer fit her before she was 3 months old. (we were told they'd fit until she was 6 months).

Does anyone have any suggestions that could help me avoid the problems I had last time? Obviously, I saved those diapers, covers (although I'm sure I'll need more covers) and snappies (have 3) because they cost $100! I wasn't going to just get rid of them since I knew I'd be having more kids and I hoped to give cloth diapers another try.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#250 of 265 Old 07-27-2006, 06:06 PM

Oh, forgot to add. I had also acquired one fuzzi bunz. Followed her directions exactly, she gave me the size she thought would fit (she saw Abigail in person so she knew how big she was), yet still...
the only time I used it, her poop totally squished out and it was gross to clean the fuzzi bunz, and they ended up stained permanently from that one experience.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#251 of 265 Old 07-27-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi's Mom
I had a few problems with them that made me just give up and go to disposables.
#1 They took absolutely forever to dry. I would dry them on high and have to leave them in for at least two hours, sometimes for 3 hours, in order to get them dry. It's too expensive to run my gas dryer that long. Also, we were advised to first wash cold, no soap, 2nd wash hot with soap, and 3rd wash hot with no soap to completely rinse detergent from them. Between 3 washes and all that drying, I felt like all I was doing was cleaning dirty diapers.
I'm assuming those are prefolds you're talking about? I have no idea why they would take that long to dry...is your dryer old? I do have to run mine twice, but I have to do the same thing with most loads of laundry with things like towels or blankets so it's not a big deal.

As for the 3 washes, I don't do that, never heard of it. I wash twice. Once on cold with detergent and TTO, once on hot with nothing - that takes care of the extra rinsing needed. (and the cold wash is really just to help with staining - you could probably get by with just a hot wash and an extra rinse if you didn't care about staining)

Quote:
#2 I absolutely couldn't stand the smell of the dirty ones waiting to be washed. I ended up washing them every day, even if there weren't enough for a large load, and that also seemed a waste of electricity, and time to dry them. My mom suggested I do what she did, which was first rinse them in the toilet to get poop out, then soak them in a bucket filled with bleach water until I got low on diapers and then wash them. Only problem there is keeping Abigail and Brittni out of a bucket of bleach water... does not sound like a risk I want to take.
You shouldn't bleach any kind of diapers, it'll wear the fabric too much and eventually ruin them. You can get a thing called a mini-shower that sprays the poop off b4 putting them in the pail. I have one I'll use for the "real" poop (IMO newborn poop does not really smell that badly), but I never had one b4. A dry pail is less stinky IMO. Plain old covered garbage can lined with a nylon bag. If it stinks at all, just toss in some baking soda and you can wash the diapers with it.

Quote:
#3 Several nights they leaked right through the covers, even though I was changing her at least 2 times overnight (within 6 hours). Not pleasant at all.
Get a few fuzzibunz or another AIO or use a high quality fitted with a cover rather than a prefold (though I've not had a problem with a prefold) - that may help contain any leaks. I've rarely had to change a diaper in the middle of the night and I've CD'd 3 kids.

Quote:
#4 They ended up being more expensive than disposables. She outgrew them so fast, it hardly seemed worth the $100 we invested in getting the whole getup when they no longer fit her before she was 3 months old. (we were told they'd fit until she was 6 months).
If you used fuzzibunz, there is the potential that you could go from smalls to size petite toddler and those would be the only two sizes you'd ever need (depends on the kid, but that would have worked for me).

With prefolds, you could probably use the same size throughout and just get bigger covers and fold differently depending on age/size.

Another alternative would be the "one size" fitted diaper. Same thing, you'll just need to buy more covers as they get larger.

Quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions that could help me avoid the problems I had last time? Obviously, I saved those diapers, covers (although I'm sure I'll need more covers) and snappies (have 3) because they cost $100! I wasn't going to just get rid of them since I knew I'd be having more kids and I hoped to give cloth diapers another try.
Those are my suggestions and keep in mind $100 is NOTHING. You spent WAY more than that disposable diapering I guarantee it, even if you used the cheapest kind. You'll probably spend at least $750-$1000 disposable diapering. You could get a whole "system" of CDs for way less than that.

Check the diapering forums. http://home.comcast.net/~ldenja/index_files/Page380.htm
That is my site...follow the link for my opinions and the very first thing on my page is a link to the best "beginner" site I've ever seen on cloth diapering from an MDC mama.

#252 of 265 Old 07-27-2006, 08:11 PM

I'm so frustrated. I wrote up a complete reply to your post and it just disappeared and I was kicked off this website. That's the second time today I was writing something and lost the whole message.

#253 of 265 Old 07-27-2006, 08:15 PM

For me I had collected from the beginning buying stuff here and there off the tp etc. I was all set and then Maggie came early.

I bought from Coleen, our friend at NAtural babies 12 fbs x small for
$150. Maggie just outgrew those a few weeks ago. I also had another one from another mama here. So I sold all these dipes on ebay and they sold for $120. So to use these great dipes was $30.

I also had 13 kissaluvs and 5 prowraps in size nb/0. I paid about $75 for the lot of this stuff. I sold them all for $95. Ebay drove up the price and I sold some cheaper to a mama here. If they all were on ebay it would have been more. So I made a few bucks. So now its $10 to cd the last few months.

I also bought some kissaluv wipes at the outlet sale several months ago. I have 50 of them for $24. I use 1-2 every change and dh likes to use as a burprag for Maggie w them. They are perfect- a few stained but much much better than spending all that $ on wipes that have a ton of chemicals.

I have the mini shower too ($30) and the whole family loves it. My mother thinks it would be good to wash your hair. She loves to clean the poopy diapers. Since Maggie needs iron supplement her poops can get nasty so I am glad I got the shower attachment thing.

Almost all of my investment has been good resale wise. There are a few dogs but all in all I would have spent that money on sposies and then put them in the garbage.

I also have a lot of fun w all the rainbow of colors the dipes come in. I have some bleached prefolds and not my thing so I am tie dyeing them for burp cloths. I also picked up some wool stuff and once Maggie grows into them, we will give them a try.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#254 of 265 Old 07-27-2006, 08:17 PM

Katreena- I would sell them on ebay and get your $ back.

#255 of 265 Old 07-27-2006, 08:31 PM

We're loving our cd'ing experience!!! I just don't know why anyone would use disposables if its this easy! We're using newborn kooshies, wallypop fitteds, aio's and a pocket. We loved our xs vb's, but have grown out of them and I'm selling them. I've traded one for a bumware and haven't received it yet, so I'll try that when I get it. I also have a bunch of various nb fitteds that he's outgrowing, snapdragons, flam's, and sugarbritches, and sweetpea's. I am also trying some chunky butt aio's and so far so good...I just love my prowrap covers, bummis covers and bumkin covers. We also have prefolds... so far Im doing wash 1-2 days and its no problem, very easy!
#256 of 265 Old 07-27-2006, 08:48 PM

Grrrr... it just happened again. I got kicked off this website and had to relogin. However, I got smart. I rewrote my reply on my computer, in text, so if I was kicked off again, I could copy/paste instead of rewriting this post a third time!

I think they were prefolds. Seemed to have three parts, thicker in the center. What is the difference between a fitted and a prefold diaper?

re: dryer. It was my mom's and it was fairly new, maybe a couple years. Now I have a different dryer I think about 10 yrs old. It drys all my stuff just fine, including big blankets. I never have to dry anything twice on it.
Glad to hear it's unnecessary to wash three times. I was just following her instructions because I wanted to do it right.

I kept the soiled diapers in a lined trash can. With the lid on, condensation would form inside the can, even though I lined it with a trash bag. It was a plastic can, so it absorbed all that moist smell. I just threw the diapers in there and never soaked them as my mom had suggested.

I agree, baby poop (especially from a newborn being breastfed) doesn't stink. I think what bothered me most was the pee smell. Ammonia and bleach trigger my allergies and I was sneezing every time I was in the room with the diaper pail. That's why I hardly ever use bleach for cleaning anything other than the toilet.

I like your idea of using baking soda.

The fuzzibunz leaked, too, at night.

Cost: We buy $30 box of paper diapers about every 3 weeks, about $520 a year. (I did a quick calculation there) That sounds really expensive when calculated for the year. However, we spent $100 on cloth which only lasted 12 weeks. So at the time, it seemed either way cost us the same. Plus, it's easier to come up with $30 at a time than $100. We had to take the $100 out of our savings to buy the cloth, so it was a big deal getting them!

I really want to give it another go with cloth diapers on our new baby. I'm not sure if I'm ready to invest in getting some for Abigail, too. If I did, I'd be interested in the AIO's, but I can't believe they cost $16 to $24 apiece!!!

I have to get a bigger diaper bag, too. The one I have is so inadequate even now, and with cloth diapers, I'd need even more space.

I think the diapers leaked with her because she had such chubby thighs until she started walking. They're still not skinny. People were always commenting on her cute, chubby thighs. I don't know why people don't say mine are cute. I guess it only works for babies.

Also, we used Huggies brand once when Abigail was 6 months and it gave her her first diaper rash, so we got rid of them. Then on her 1st birthday (May 29), we had a "pool party" and used a Huggies swim diaper for just a half hour. She had a rash that evening. That rash didn't go away, so I called the doctor and they said to use lotrimin, which I did, and that worked. They said it worked because it was a yeast diaper rash. Yuck. A month later, we switched wipes (these are cheaper, but seem wetter) and diaper brand (to Pampers Cruisers). Since the change, she seemed to get a rash every month. We don't know if the rash was caused by the wipes or by the diapers, or if it was diet related. Her rashes were occussing the same time she started eating more solid foods. I have allergies (not to food), so I worry she may have some kind of food allergy.

It was very upsetting when she would get the diaper rash because no cream would cure it and she would scream so loud when I'd change her and turn away because she knew it would hurt. It looked like her skin was burning, bright red. It made my cry to change her diaper and I just didn't know what to do. I got talc free cornstarch baby powder with aloe vera and vitamin E and that cured it right away. Now I use the powder every night before bed and she hasn't gotten another rash.

Abigail has very sensitive, dry skin. We are currently using Arbonne baby lotion on it. Nothing has worked. The dry skin is on her back, chest, arms and thighs. She loves the lotion massage, but I wish something would make the itchy dry patches go away.

The cloth diapering was just not easy in any way for me. I hope that's because I wasn't doing it right. When I switched completely over to paper it was so much easier, at least until she turned a year old.
If I could actually be convinced it's cheaper (I still don't think there's any price difference based on my own experience), and I could use cloth without all that leaking, and there was an easier, cheaper, less time-consuming way to clean them (thanks for your tips there), then I will definitely use cloth with the new baby. Still not sure about making another investment to get a size to fit Abigail.

Thanks again for all your tip and I'd welcome any more comments or advice.

#257 of 265 Old 07-27-2006, 09:47 PM

I went back and read an old post on this thread recommending diaperco. A few times I've read things on this site that talks about shipping costs. Well, since I live in Alaska, a lot of comments made about shipping don't apply to me. I end up having to individually research anything to find out if it's free shipping includes only the contiguous us, or also alaska.

#258 of 265 Old 07-27-2006, 10:42 PM

Amy.. how much are you looking to get rid of the hemp for?

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#259 of 265 Old 07-27-2006, 10:44 PM

Katreena - a couple things popped into my head while reading your posts. First of all, you mentioned ammonia smell from the diapers ... that typically means you have detergent build-up. With cd's, sometimes the hardest thing is finding the wash routine and detergent that works best. For my boys, I can't use any detergents with enzymes, so most are out. I found that I can use regular old All, but after a while, we will get build-up and get horrible ammonia smell in the morning. Since I have switched to Charlie's Soap (www.charliesoap.com) and don't seem to have any issues with build-up or smell. I do two washes - the first with detergent and the second with none.

Also, your dd sounds like she might be a heavy wetter with my youngest son. I try to stuff him as best as I can at night, but sometimes we are still changing him in the middle of the night. Typically hemp or microterry (used as a stuffing for the pocket diapers - the micro doesn't go against the skin) are more absorbant. We either use a Little Beetle hemp fitted or a Dream-Ez organic cotton fitted at night under a Bumpy wool cover.

For the rashes/food issues, I'd recommed checking out the Healing the Gut tribe.I think it'll give you some probable answers as most all allergies/food issues, unexplanable rashes all go back to the gut.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#260 of 265 Old 07-27-2006, 11:55 PM

funny you mentioned the ammonia. Some kissaluvs loand to us have that funky smell too. the loaner uses tide and I use the TRader Joes detergant.

once my microterrys come in, they are yours Chiromama! I was thinking a $1 a piece and we can figure out shipping. Unless you have the microterry ones.

#261 of 265 Old 07-28-2006, 01:57 PM

We love cloth diapers.
I'm Kissaluv obsessed. Marlow is in between size 0 and 1 so I usually put her in the 1's. I need more covers though. She is no longer able to fit her bummis nb's.

Lee is the house-husband and he does all the laundry so I don't feel the pain of that part of it. I love that we can get our money back by re-selling them!

I have a bunch of semi-crappy diapers I'd like to donate to anyone here on MDC. They are very small maybe 5-7 lbs and by the time Marlow came home she was too big for them. I got them off of ebay and I can't remember the name of them (I'll look them up at home) I kind of feel like I was ripped off with them. The tags say small but they're teeny. The don't soak up very well either you'd need doublers for them. There's about 20 of them, the have velcro but they need covers. I hate to just throw them out but I couldn't live with myself if I tried to sell them to someone.

Does anyone know of anyone who can use these?
#262 of 265 Old 07-28-2006, 06:08 PM

What I currently have (to use with my upcoming newborn):

1 dozen white prefolds
3 dozen unbleached prefolds, they are really thick and have dark green stitching. They are all 11" wide and 15" long, thicker down the middle.

2 snappies (1 mint green, 1 pink)...I had a 3rd, but can't find it.

3 white Bummies "Super Whisper Wrap" which are velcro. They say P on the left of the tag and S on the right, so not sure what that size is.
1 white Bummies "Super Snap". same sizing.

1 mint green S Happy Heinie that velcros. (I thought it was a fuzzibunz...this is the one Abigail pooped out of, but it doesn't look stained at all)

So I'm thinking I'd need more snappies and more covers.

If I use cloth on Abigail again, I'm really leaning towards the AIO's. They seem easier, but I can't believe how much they cost! If I used those, how many would I need?

Abigail was born 9 # 9 oz, she was 19.5 " long with thick thighs. She reached 20# by 6 months of age. Now she is 23.5 pounds and 30" tall. Does anyone know what sizes would be best to last the longest (hopefully until she's potty-trained), because if I buy anything for her, I don't want to have to buy more than one size.

I noticed some diapers are regular or long... how/where would I measure her rise? All diapers she's worn (cloth or paper) seem too high in the waist. The paper diapers rub her lower back, making her itch, and fold over under her belly in the front.

So does anyone have any suggestions for me? (You can see you guys are really getting me interested in using cloth again).

Oh, I also have heard that cloth diapers make potty-training easier because the baby can feel when they're wet. Is that true? When would I start potty-trianing? I've heard between 18 and 24 months old.

#263 of 265 Old 07-28-2006, 06:43 PM

used dipes are pretty cheap and as I said dipes have a great resale

#264 of 265 Old 07-28-2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow's mom to be
I have a bunch of semi-crappy diapers I'd like to donate to anyone here on MDC. They are very small maybe 5-7 lbs and by the time Marlow came home she was too big for them. I got them off of ebay and I can't remember the name of them (I'll look them up at home) I kind of feel like I was ripped off with them. The tags say small but they're teeny. The don't soak up very well either you'd need doublers for them. There's about 20 of them, the have velcro but they need covers. I hate to just throw them out but I couldn't live with myself if I tried to sell them to someone.

Does anyone know of anyone who can use these?
hmmm...sound good for a preemie then? maybe get in touch with the mods of this forum and see if they've heard of any preemie mamas caught unaware and in need of some wee dipes?

#265 of 265 Old 07-30-2006, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcimom
hmmm...sound good for a preemie then? maybe get in touch with the mods of this forum and see if they've heard of any preemie mamas caught unaware and in need of some wee dipes?
Good Idea! I will try that.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page