Cloth Diapers for Beginners - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 265 Old 10-13-2005, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am pretty set on CDing the new babe - and I was wondering if anyone would like to put in their 2 cents about good sites, good deals, etc.

Right now, I am thinking to start:

36 CPF - newborn size
6 covers
some snappis
some doublers for night time??

I did a bunch of research when ds was like 10 mos - but never forged ahead with it.

I am on a pretty tight budget and am looking for economical choices, although would love to know your favorites!

Also, I want to do cloth wipes, too Any advice on that?

Amy1st - I have heard alot of recommendations for naturalbabies.com - they have a pretty good newborn package for like $85.00. They have LOTS of other great stuff, too!

Sorry, ramble.....let's talk CD!

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#2 of 265 Old 10-13-2005, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started with CPF's too and they are great all purpose diapers. The light-green stitched ones make a trimmer fit on a small baby, but the dark-green stitched ones will last you a longer time.

For nighttime the CPF's worked fine for us for a while, and then eventually I went to pocket diapers for nighttime because I could stuff them with however much I needed, they fit better and were more versatile. But I never did find a doubler that I liked so I'm no help picking those

For a pail I just have the generic diaper pail from Safety 1st that you can get at Target. I took out the little hinged insert though - it kept breaking and wasn't doing anything. I like that this pail has a place on top to hold a deodorizer disk and it really keeps odors from seeping out, very well. I have large Bummis tote bags that I put inside and I throw those in the wash with the diapers.

I use regular Tide to wash the diapers... lately I have been doing two rinses the 2nd one with some baking soda in there) then a hot wash with Tide and cold rinse. If it's sunny outside, I can put the diapers in the sun for just a couple hours before I put them in the dryer to fluff them. The sun disinfects and even removes stains.

uhh, let's see. I have heard good things about the "minishower" for rinsing off the poopy diapers in the toilet, but I don't have one. I use a cheap rubber spatula and just scrape them off. FWIW with breastfed newborn poop you don't need to rinse off the poo - it is easy enough to just wash off in the washing machine.

I guess that's all I have and yes I love naturalbabies.com they have been wonderful to work with.
#3 of 265 Old 10-13-2005, 04:01 PM

If you don't mind it sometimes buying used is the cheapest option. Look around cloth diapering groups, there's always mom selling off stuff that doesn't fit anymore.

For cloth wipes, I used the children's washclothes that everyone gave me at the baby shower.

Mom of 3 (Evan, Trey, Saffron ) Blogs at findingsummer.com
#4 of 265 Old 10-13-2005, 08:14 PM

I cloth diapered my last from 4 months on to potty training and my first from 2 until potty training. It was quite an adventure and I plan on cloth diapering this time around. Last time I got caught up in a lot of the trendy diapers and ended up hating all of that part of it. This time I am going for a simple system, prefolds and wool wraps and probably some other covers as well like motherease bumpy soft cover. Then fuzzi bunz at night. prefolds definatly simple and there is just something about them, I can't explain, I just love prefolds. . If you are looking for inexpensive then definatly prefolds.

Also if you can sew you can inexpensivly make your own. Which is a lot of fun as well.
#5 of 265 Old 10-13-2005, 08:23 PM

: : not really lurking but taking notes.

I will try that website right now.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#6 of 265 Old 10-14-2005, 12:44 AM

yes you must come over to the dark side! Cloth diapers are very addictive, glad to see you are keeping it simple! I didnt cd from the start but the one thing I can definitely tell you is that you need to get some infant sized prefolds. I dont think the newborn ones will last very long, you can use them as inserts for pockets later on, but size wise I dont think they have a long life. You would be better off getting a few dozen infant sized ones and some of the premium ones (though those are huge and unless you dont mind the fold over bulk I would avoid them until baby is older) I would also ask over in the diapering forum, they would know a little better about the whole sizing issue. Also, if you get a little daring, you can always dye them prefolds or add some fabric to them to brighten them up! Id be more then happy to help ya if you are interested. I LOVE a bright happy stash! You need atleast one fun diaper. Good luck!
#7 of 265 Old 10-14-2005, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the replies!
Quote:
For cloth wipes, I used the children's washclothes that everyone gave me at the baby shower.
Love it, that is ingenious, IMO :LOL About the wipes, do you get 'em moist at the point of changing? I know, prob. a not-so-bright question! I have been pondering it all night!
Or do you keep some moist in a tub or something? Just water - I think I would like to make a little solution maybe with some lavendar or something.

Quote:
Also, if you get a little daring, you can always dye them prefolds or add some fabric to them to brighten them up! Id be more then happy to help ya if you are interested.
Ya know, I have been itchin' for the past, like 6 months to make some baby tie-dye onsies....it would be too fun to make some baby tie dye cloth dipes! I may be getting in touch

You guys rock!

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#8 of 265 Old 10-14-2005, 08:38 AM

I am in the same boat. I began CD'ing dd when she was about 2mos old. I had been given so many sposie's it took that long to switch. At that time I pinned and everything :LOL I have a ton of huge prefolds so I think I'm just going to cut about 20-30 of them down to infant size. But then I still need good covers. Any reccomendations out there for good covers? I am not a hyena type, but I do want a really cute dipe to bring baby X home in.

Wipes. I bought about a yard of fabric and then hemmed them. My sewing machine at the time only did straight stitch. Now I can something a little more advanced, like zigzag. Serging would be nice, but I don't have that. I plan on making some more, the ones I have seem to have disappeared. Also I think I want them a little larger than what I have. As far as solutions. I got a container from the grocery store that was similar in size to a regular wipe box. My solution: water, a little dr. bronners lavender soap, a little olive oil, tea tree oil and lavendar oil. Smells good, wipes poops off easily, limited diaper rash.
#9 of 265 Old 10-14-2005, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekermage
yes you must come over to the dark side! Good luck!
I am already on the dark side with these sposies I spent 36 mos buying!! I feel that I was suduced by the dark side of the force and I am trying to come back- so Luke save me from the evil galtic empire of those sposies!!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#10 of 265 Old 10-14-2005, 12:45 PM

Oh don't get me started about cloth diapers :LOL My dh thinks I planned this pregnancy so I could buy more diapers With my dd, I had soooo many diapers. I already have a few newborn diapers. I love window shopping. I have a few newborn diapers from here http://www.muttaqinbaby.com/store/
I plan on doing fitteds,prefolds, pul covers, and wool to begin with. You can get prefolds really cheap here plus free shipping. http://www.babiesinthesun.com/
I plan on having some preemie prefolds for the first couple of weeks! I watch the trading post to for diapers. I have gotten 3 wool soakers off of there for really cheap. You are going to be sorry you ever got me started talking about cloth

I have a ton of wipes that I have bought from wahms. Nothing feels better then velour wipes!
Oh and tie dying prefolds is a lot of fun!
#11 of 265 Old 10-14-2005, 07:52 PM

We've cd'd ds#1 for the last night only at night (he still "leaks" as he puts it at night) - he wears pockets from Green Acre Designs and/or flats snappi'd on covered in an Aristocrat. Ds#2 has been cd'd since birth (though not until the day we left the hospital). This babe will be in cloth the first thing he or she makes his/her appearance and gets bathed. My absolute favorite are prefolds ... chinese or indian. I love to get things from DiaperWare because she has such a great selection.

If by newborn prefolds you mean premies, I too would recommend only get a couple dozen of them (they make great washclothes, doublers, spit-up wipers from the couch, ect), and get 2-3 dozen of the infant prefolds. Also, you may want more than 6 covers to begin with - though I wouldn't get only newborn size (well, if your babe is like mine - ds#2 was almost 10 lbs at birth and barely fit the newborn proraps). Newborn poopies often explode, so you'll probably need to change covers more frequently than you would, with say, a 6 month old or older. Proraps usually have 2nds for sale; if you ask in the diapering forum, someone probably has the 800 number for them. I love a prefold and wool a night (we've been using that system since the day he came home and it still holds strong, even with all night nursings). My favorite wool covers are the Sugarpeas wool flannel. A bit more money, but well worth it!

You have enough posts and time here, you should venture down to the diapers trading post ... there are usually nb/small stuff popping up frequently and you can get some good deals.

Fitteds are always fun too, but until you know what's going to fit and everything, I'd probably start with a good supply of prefolds, some pins and/or snappi's, and some good covers (proraps, bummis, a couple wool covers for night). Then, you can look at fitteds, pockets, and all-in-ones as you get some more money or a better idea of your babe's build.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#12 of 265 Old 10-16-2005, 12:06 AM

We didn't cloth diaper our first , but will this one! There was a diaper service going out of business in Dallas & they sold all their diapers dirt cheap. I bought way too many CPF's & just need to get the covers now. That is where I am having such a problem. There are so many to choice from-I had no idea where to start.
Thanks for all the great information in the previous posts...I will be checking everything out

mary

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#13 of 265 Old 10-16-2005, 01:18 AM

I'm so taking notes also!
#14 of 265 Old 10-16-2005, 01:59 PM

Aren't cloth diapers sooooo fun! But I didn't really spend hardly anything diapering my dd, I made most of them or bought them used or for cheap! We use prefolds and some wool that I knitted and an aristocrat for night, and fitteds that I had made out of receiving blankets.

For this baby, I plan some new prefolds (maybe indian, I'd like to try those), and I'm going to make some fitteds and knit some wool. I also want to buy a few nb fitteds with snaps since I usually use pins. And I'd like some wool wraps!

Last night I actually dug out some flannel I'd bought for baby dipes awhile ago and cut it up to start a few nb fitteds! My dh kinda laughed at me! He said, "oh, is the diaper making machine starting up again?" I guess I'm kind of excited to make cute, soft little dipes!
#15 of 265 Old 10-16-2005, 02:20 PM

Well, i guess it's time for me to listen in on this conversation also.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#16 of 265 Old 10-16-2005, 07:33 PM

Well, you can all get your stuff from a fellow June 2006 mama, beansmom (Marcy). She gives a discount to MDC mamas too.

She has a great store at

www.diaperco.com
#17 of 265 Old 10-17-2005, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL
Well, you can all get your stuff from a fellow June 2006 mama, beansmom (Marcy). She gives a discount to MDC mamas too.

She has a great store at

www.diaperco.com
Very cool information!!!

#18 of 265 Old 10-17-2005, 02:27 PM

I started out with infant CPFs and Proraps/BSWWs with DD #1, but this time around I am going with mostly Kissaluvs sz 0 with BSWWs, Bumpy covers and some wool and fleece covers too. I can't wait to diaper a newborn again. I just hope dd PLs by then.
#19 of 265 Old 10-18-2005, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I just hope dd PLs by then
I am hoping for that. too! It's crazy because the past week or so he will have nothing to do with his potty Where before that it seemed like he was well on his way.............I guess he will learn when he is ready!

Diaperco looks great - thanks!

#20 of 265 Old 10-19-2005, 07:08 PM

So, um, say you met someone who had no experience with cloth diapers. Like, um, I have this "friend" (who may or may not be myself)

Say "this person" was really interested in using cloth this time around, but had *no clue* where to start, what cloth diapering entails, what the purpose of a "soaker" is (though she can guess ) but she was willing to learn and had, oh, say around 8 more months to learn.

Say this person's husband was reaaaaaaaaaalllly skeptical about using cloth because "disposables worked just fine for the first one" and thinks it is a scheme to buy more cute baby things by me, erhm, I mean my friend.

My friend didn't use cloth the first time around because she gets overwhelmed easily and thought it would be too complicated with a new baby to learn a brand new skill like cloth diapering, not to mention she didn't have her own washer and dryer at the time (does now, tho) Is it really as easy as everyone says?

Could I, erhm, my friend ... could she be taught? And where would you suggest she go first for her cd education? Remember, she's totally new at this, so be gentle and don't use initials unless you spell out for her what they stand for

Thanks!

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#21 of 265 Old 10-19-2005, 07:20 PM

Your "friend" could totally catch on! We used disposibles with ds#1 and switched to cloth with ds#2. Dh was VERY skeptical and said if ds was a girl, he really didn't want to switch because he'd have to learn new body parts and a new diapering system. :LOL

What we did, though, was start with a diaper service. It worked out to be about the same price as disposibles, but it let us get our feet wet with cloth (which I loved, and dh got used to quickly). I only used the service for 2 months, in which time I started buying my own prefolds, a few fitteds, and some covers (well, I had to buy the covers anyways).

I would probably start out with prefolds (mostly infant sized, but you can recommend some premie too if you think your "friend's" babe will be really little; they make great doublers and washcloths too), and some good covers - I liked proraps, bummis, and sugarpeas wool covers for the beginning. Your "friend" could probably learn to snappi a prefold on a teddy bear very quickly, and you'd be all set.

Your "friend" could also get some fitteds to try (I didn't use them but a lot of people love the Kissaluv's size 0 for newborns! I might try some this time). But really, I wouldn't go too fancy, especially in the beginning. You want to keep it simple and reliable - which to me, prefolds are. Your "friend" can use them afterwards for anything, so they are a great investment.

Does that help at all?

#22 of 265 Old 10-19-2005, 10:35 PM

Ok- the cats out of the bag- I'm the friend
So thankfully she came forward for me. So can you guys help me?? I did sposies w the first and now I want to cd the next one and I have 8 months to figure out what I need!!

#23 of 265 Old 10-19-2005, 11:07 PM

Hey Amy,

Don't worry ... we'll get you all set up before this baby is born!!! First you have to decide what you want: service (if that's even an option) at least for the beginning or to just jump in with your own. (Definitely pros and cons ... see my post above.)

It sounds like you want simple ... are you needing something for possible babysitters (even just grandparents or aunts/uncles)? Or will it be more or less just you and dh changing the babe?

As I said before, prefolds (usually Chinese - CPF - or Indian - IPF) are very simple, grow well with baby (typically buy infant for the first 4 months, then premiums for the next year and a half or so, and sometimes graduate into toddlers just before potty learning), and are VERY easy to get. In the bigger picture of cd's, they are also relatively cheap.

Another cool option (or something you could get alongside of prefolds) would be fitted prefolds or prefitteds (same thing, different names). They are basically a prefold that has had the legs trimmed in, elastic added, and sometimes a little "extension" on the wings. You get the simplicity of a prefold and the extra poopy protection of a fitted. (I love making fitted prefolds for ds, and my plan with this baby is to have half prefolds and have fitted prefolds.)

Then there are the fitteds ... there are a myriad of types and styles, but basically fall under the following: front snap, front aplix (velcro), side snap and side aplix. Side and front have slightly different fits and advantages; sometimes it takes a few different types before you find one that fits. They are great at keeping poopies in, but also can be expensive, depending on what kind you get. One fitted that gets a lot of use for newborns, or so it seems, is Kissaluv's size 0. Kissaluvs are unbelievably soft and squishy and really do work well at holding in bf poopies.

Finally, there are the pocket diapers (which are usually a waterproof outer and a microfleece inner, with an opening where you can stuff them for absorbancy). The more well-known ones are Fuzzi Bunz and Wonderoos, though there are also some wonderful WAHM ones out there too (I love Green Acre Designs ... we use them overnight for ds#1). And there are All-In-Ones (AIOs), which are an entire diaper (waterproof outer and absorbant inner) all in one. Out of the two, I prefer pockets as I can stuff them with how little or how much I need, and it all gets clean. Other moms swear by AIOs and use them exclusively. They are both more expensive than fitteds, but when you factor in the cost of covers, you can usually spend about as much in a full "stash" of pockets and/or AIOs as you would for fitteds and covers.

Oh and for covers, you basically have PUL (polyurethane laminate - a waterproofed poly/synthetic material), fleece, and wool. I use and like all three for different reasons. PUL is nice and trim, and works well especially under things like jeans. Fleece is squishy soft and typically gives you great protection but allows more air to circulate than you get with PUL. Wool is an awesome natural cover - breathes and protects from leaks, though has a more special wash routine (though I can wash mine in the washer on the wool setting and hang to dry). When we began cd'ing, I used proraps (a super industrial, standup to anything PUL cover; they have "gussets" and really help hold in any poopies that escaped the diaper), bummis (another really good PUL cover, and wool covers (I LOVE Sugarpeas wool flannel covers ... I've used those overnight since ds#2 came home from the hospital.

A couple cool sites to browse with a bunch of different products are:
Soft Cloth Bunz
DiaperWare
DiaperCo *a fellow June '06 Mama
Natural Babies

All those sites have a bunch of diapers and covers on them. I love window shopping at them all. (When we have a little extra money, I'm going to have to get some more stuff at at least one of them as I managed to loan out all our nb/small covers.)

Whatcha think of all that information?

#24 of 265 Old 10-20-2005, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders
Hey Amy,
Whatcha think of all that information?
I think its awesome! Thanks- this will help!!

#25 of 265 Old 10-20-2005, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the help as well, all! We failed miserably with cloth diapering DD. I had an c-section, nursing wasn't going well, & when the cloth diapers we were using from a service weren't working well on my skinny kid, we threw in the towel! I know so much more now! But, the cloth diapering forum has been scaring me! It just seems so much to go through. I'll brave it bit by bit, but appreciate everyone's help here. I just get overwhelmed sometimes!

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

#26 of 265 Old 10-20-2005, 02:35 PM

Amy - :LOL So glad to have friends to learn new skills with (and thankful to not be the only wanna-be-cd'ing mama who used disposables with her first)

Brit - THANK YOU! I even took notes and will be looking into this much more! "keep it simple and reliable" - you hit it! That's exactly what my buzz words are going to have to be with this whole cloth diapering thing, especially if I'm going to convince dh that cloth and the family bed can go hand in hand. I'm going to look into prefolds ... and maybe into seeing if I can knit my own wool covers. I do like the idea of the pocket diapers, too and being able to put as much or as little layering in as needed, especially for night time. I know nothing will be 100% accident free, but then again neither were dispoables.

SO glad I have months and months to learn and get ready for this! I'm still a little intimidated about adding a new skill and a new baby, but I'm confident I can at least give it a good try with all this time to prepare beforehand.

Thanks so much!!!!

(will probably be bugging you for months now with ? after ?)

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
#27 of 265 Old 10-20-2005, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, Mylittlewonders,
Quote:
and thankful to not be the only wanna-be-cd'ing mama who used disposables with her first
Same Here :LOL

#28 of 265 Old 10-20-2005, 02:45 PM

Jumping over from the Nov thread... we CD'd ds from birth and he's now 20 months.

Best advice ever... honestly... spend a couple months (you have the time if you're due in June) browsing the ebay cloth diaper listings and the diaper trading post here on MDC. Just read the descriptions and look at the pictures. Make note of what you think you might want. You'll become pretty well versed in CD's and will know what's a good price when you see it. Also the moms selling/trading dipes here on MDC are pretty darn honest (at least all the ones I've dealt with) and will answer any questions in detail if you ask them to. I've found that some ebay moms just want to sell so they may not be as... forthcoming . I've only been taken advantage of on ebay like 3 times and it wasn't for much $... but that's my own fault anyway.

Also, try buying just a couple dipes of each kind you like. You never know what kind of dipes will be best for your baby and you don't want to be stuck with 3 dozen of a particular kind or brand that just don't work for you.

Best of Luck... once you get the hang of it you'll be glad you decided to CD!!!!

Oh, and buy INSURANCE when you pay for shipping your dipes... there is nothing like spending a hundred dollars on diapers that you never get : (experience talking here).
#29 of 265 Old 10-20-2005, 03:26 PM

I'm planning on CDing my group. I need to re-research my purchases becaus eI need a lot more dipes and smaller ones, too. I'll probably stock up on CPFs and covers with a few pockets for nights. I also want to get some contour or fitteds to use when my mom, my MIL, DH or whoever is helping. I figure they will be easy to do and have a lower learning curve so I won't need to watch. My main thing now is sizing. I'm figuring 4-5 pound babies to start so I need some small things!

With the research I did before, Diaperco has really good prices and on the homepage of the diapering forum is the code of 10% off. She also has a registry. I am so itching to shop!

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#30 of 265 Old 10-20-2005, 05:55 PM

okay, Miriam, if YOU aren't intimidated by cloth than I *so* have no reason to be

Willemsmama - thanks for the advice about looking at ebay. I didn't even think of that (duh)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page