How do you count? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-14-2005, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering - do most of you count like most drs. do - from LMP (last missed period) or do you count from conception date?
#2 of 13 Old 10-14-2005, 07:41 PM

I base edd on lmp ... for me, I think that's actually June 2, though I'm on the sticky list as the 3rd (I think I miscounted). This time around I can pretty closely pinpoint the date of conception as well as I was trying to pay much better attention this time to see if I was even ovulating yet (only my 4th ppd AF as I'm still nursing), but it's just easier, imo, to go with lmp. My ob uses lmp too.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#3 of 13 Old 10-14-2005, 07:44 PM

I count lmp as 2 weeks before the IUI. The doc says late May or June edd but becuase of the 3 I'll probably be mid- to late May.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#4 of 13 Old 10-14-2005, 11:31 PM

This is an interesting question and something I've been thinking about a lot - the LMP thing really screws up those of us with long cycles! I have a cycle that's on average around 33 days. I temped for three months prior to conception, and I know when I ovulated for this little bean (it was on the CD21). From this Fertility Friend put my due date at 6/17 - but the doc on Tuesday said more like 6/12 because of LMP. Wouldn't my calculation be much more precise?

I know that this is not a big deal, and hardly any babies make it on their due date - but I don't know which week i'm even in then! I'm obsessed with reading those day-by-day baby calendars, and now I can't figure out, should i read week 5? Week 4? Will this become an issue later with how they assess the bean's progress in utero?

Hee hee, i'm all in a tizzy! Love those hormones. :LOL

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#5 of 13 Old 10-16-2005, 12:01 AM

We use NFP so I was charting-that makes it way easier to figure out. I came out with a 6/29/06 EDD from my temperature. My cycles are (oops, were) really out of whack, so the whole 28 day cycle doesn't work with me.

mary

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#6 of 13 Old 10-16-2005, 01:13 AM

Keeta,
I'm there with you! I have super long periods because of PCOS and so I just figured I'd say my lmp was two weeks before ovulation. I was charting too, so I'm pretty sure within two or three days when I ovulated and I just am going to calculate it as my period being two weeks before that. I think that's what I'll tell the Dr. just so he doesn't figure I'm further along than I should be and get all anxious at the end if the baby hasn't come "on time."

I think it will be easier for me too if I'm expecting a later baby, rather than hoping for a week or two earlier.
#7 of 13 Old 10-17-2005, 01:26 AM

i NFP so i generally try to count from the conception date; the problem with this is, none of the calculators use this. so, though i pinpoint my due date from conception date, i follow the calendar for my last menstral. thankfully this time around, i actually somehow have managed to have about a 28 day cycle (before my ds i could go from 30 to 45...), so the dates are only a day or so apart. if i go from conception (which actually was several days after actual intercourse--must have had some really good mucus this cycle...) my idea of first trimester doesn't fit with theirs. hard to think of yourself as 2 weeks along when you weren't even pregnant, you know?

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#8 of 13 Old 10-18-2005, 10:14 PM

my edd of july 1 is per LMP. if i go by conception, it's probably more like 6/28 or 6/27, but i want my midwife to have the latest possible edd on my chart so that if they start talk of inducing me (like my previous OB did on my due date), it's later rather than sooner.
#9 of 13 Old 10-18-2005, 11:52 PM

I guess I'm lucky because my LMP was 9/7 and my conception date was 9/21 (I know because we inseminated with frozen sperm and then my temp rose after) so that is a text book 2-week gap for this cycle (not always that way). So either way, I get a EDD of 6/15 or 6/16/2006.
#10 of 13 Old 10-19-2005, 10:33 AM

My cycles were changing frequently the past few years, anywhere from 20 to 42 days. I'm glad that I know exactly when we conceived. Due to travel schedules, my husband and I managed to only be in the same town one night. Yes, sometimes it really does only take one time. Given this info, my mw and I decided to fudge my LMP to determine the EDD. This has proven valuable in looking at the charts. I love looking at the specific develomental milestones and feel that I am more accurate in deciding which week to look at for my situation.
#11 of 13 Old 10-19-2005, 10:54 AM

I use the date my taking charge of your fertility software gave me :LOL it puts my date 3 days later than the doctors office but it's not a bid deal they come when they want to.
#12 of 13 Old 10-20-2005, 12:40 AM

Keeta,

I agree that these Due Date Calculators really don't work for those with long cycles.
My cycles are crazy. No two have ever been alike. They run anywhere from 24 to 72 days. I showed no signs of ovulating this cycle (saliva tests, OPKs, CM... didn't temp though) yet somehow did. Problem is, I don't know when. It could have been almost anytime in the cycle, so I could be anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks!

I'm going to go with about 4 though. It's kind of important for me because I'm a VBAC and I could end up in a situation where they want to section if I go too far overdue. My MW is going to try to date the pregnancy by u/s though.
#13 of 13 Old 10-20-2005, 12:45 AM

My cycles are generally 29 days but twice in the past year, including last cycle, it was 25 days.

Honestly we were quite busy this month and didn't have much time together. I didn't even think we came close to ovulation time but guess I was wrong!!

Who knows when conception took place...I'm just basing my edd on my lmp based on my average 29 day cycle.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page