Had to go have another hcg..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-21-2005, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had a blood draw on the 14th when I called for my first appointment....after playing phone tag with the office for a couple days, I find out today that my hcg then was 77 and they said that was low (stupid HIPPA, they couldnt' say that on the answering machine), so they wanted to do another one today to be sure my levels were increasing enough (so I'm instantly freaked)....THEN, she asked me when my LMP was, so I said Sept 14, and she said, Oh, OK, so it was still early when you had the first one, and I said - yeah....so do I still need to come and have it? She said just to be safe I should......so of course now I'm paranoid and have to look up what normal hcg levels would be at about 14 DPO, and at 77 I was smack in the middle of the range. : She asked if I've had any cramping or bleeding, but I haven't. So, after work, I went for the blood draw.

So now I'm irked and at the same time, paranoid - I mean, I know they just want to be safe and sure everything is going OK, but jeepers...if the lady had looked at my chart first maybe and saw I was only 14 DPO the first time, maybe she would have been a little less worrisome on the phone.

THEN AGAIN, maybe I'm just all ramped up on hormones and irritated and worried over nothing.

Anyway, I'm done complaining. I'll find out Monday if everything is OK or not, then my first appt is supposed to be Tuesday. Wish me luck! :

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2005, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good luck with your levels! I'm sorry the woman on the phone got you worried. It must be in the air for people to toy with June moms-to-be. When my midwife called with my hCG results, she said, "Yep, you're pregnant." Then she added, in kind of a cautious tone, "It looks like it's pretty early on." Well, considering that I know when I ovulated, and told them, and that I wasn't even 5 weeks when the blood was drawn, I would have thought it was obvious that it was early. So just the fact that she mentioned it had me worried. I asked if she had the actual number. She told me 1868. This was at 19 dpo. So, I immediately searched for reference charts online. Gee, my level is only about 3 times the "high" level. (Which isn't that strange, considering that my levels with ds were similar.) But why do they mess with our minds this way??

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
Old 10-22-2005, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortelliniMama
But why do they mess with our minds this way??
Maybe because they know we're teetering on the edge of hormonal sanity, it's like a game to them - HA! Just kidding......who knows, they probably have no idea how that can toy with an early preggo's mind....

Thanks for the support : )

I'm keeping sticky, healthy thoughts for all of us!!

Old 10-22-2005, 11:38 AM

jumping in from May...at 11 weeks I've just become a raving lunatic after visiting the midwives office this week. I never had a worry in my mind until seeing them two days ago! First the NP couldn't date me properly because my uterus is tilted but she threw out an 8 week estimate anyway. What! I'm almost 11 weeks! Why say anything if your not sure? She ordered an u/s for yesterday and I spent 24 hours worrying. The u/s dated me AHEAD of where I am based on lmp. Big relief right...wrong. Ever since I've been worried that the heart rate was too low. Why? No good reason, she just didn't mention what it was. So of course hours after the u/s I start thinking "oh yeah, what was the hr?" I then convince myself that she didn't tell me because there must be a problem.

I'm a crazy person. Never a worry crossed my mind until now. So I firmly believe that it's my mind. I will misread any situation to find the doom and gloom!
Old 10-22-2005, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshields
jumping in from May...at 11 weeks I've just become a raving lunatic after visiting the midwives office this week. I never had a worry in my mind until seeing them two days ago! First the NP couldn't date me properly because my uterus is tilted but she threw out an 8 week estimate anyway. What! I'm almost 11 weeks! Why say anything if your not sure? She ordered an u/s for yesterday and I spent 24 hours worrying. The u/s dated me AHEAD of where I am based on lmp. Big relief right...wrong. Ever since I've been worried that the heart rate was too low. Why? No good reason, she just didn't mention what it was. So of course hours after the u/s I start thinking "oh yeah, what was the hr?" I then convince myself that she didn't tell me because there must be a problem.
My own u/s worrying story is kind of funny, and possibly reassuring. I was huge during my pg with ds. (Not surprising since he turned out to be over 10 pounds.) So, at 30 weeks, when I was measuring 35, they sent me for an u/s to check things out. As the tech was measuring things, I was watching. When she measured his kidneys, the numbers stuck in my mind. They seemed really, really small. I asked her if they were ok, and she said yes, but I was still concerned. I came home and started googling. Unfortunately, I started with "small kidneys" or something similar, and found all sorts of horrible outcomes. Then I finally looked for info on prenatal kidney u/s and found that, pretty obviously, what I had seen her measuring was the fluid *inside* ds's kidney, and that he was perfectly fine. I felt relieved, though pretty silly.

My sil's story is even better, though. She had an u/s (her first) because, pretty far along, she was measuring way small. Her m/ws were pretty concerned, so she was feeling a bit stressed. She made note of the various measurements, came home, and found a webpage that showed u/s pictures and measurements. She was horrified to find that none of her numbers were even close, and that they were out of proportion to each other. Filled with terror for her unborn baby, she came to the end of the page, which told her that...she was viewing a page on prenatal u/s's performed on residents of the ape house at some zoo! :LOL

So, my point is, don't feel alone in being good at driving yourself nuts. There's a whole team of us!

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
Old 10-22-2005, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortelliniMama
Filled with terror for her unborn baby, she came to the end of the page, which told her that...she was viewing a page on prenatal u/s's performed on residents of the ape house at some zoo! :LOL
Oh, poor mama! I LOL very loud at this one! Thanks for sharing this

Old 10-24-2005, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Well, got the results back.....

* At 21 DPO, the average HCG level is 1061 mIU/ml, with a typical range of 324-4130 mIU/ml. *

Mine was 1870 gooooo, baby!

Thanks for the support Friday!

Old 10-24-2005, 01:02 PM

what a relief I'm glad you got such good news!

User Tag List