Doctor/Midwife Appointments this Week? (10/24-10-28) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-24-2005, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone having a doctor or mw appt. this week? I have a mw appointment tomorrow at 3 (this is the CNM - I do dual care and also see a CPM who will attend my homebirth). I am nervous because I had a dream about bleeding last night and that happened before my miscarriages and I know they won't be able to hear a heartbeat on doppler as I will only be 7w 6d. Hope I'm feeling better after my appt. tomorrow!

Nichole, mama to 6 blue-eyed babies, LCCE, doula, apprentice mw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2005, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My CNM appt is tomorrow at 9am...I am a little bummed too that I won't hear a heartbeat, but am going in anyway cause I'll need a thyroid draw to make sure my levels aren't going wonky yet, and we want to keep track of that early on...otherwise, I probably wouldn't be going in for another couple weeks. I'll officially be 6 weeks this Wednesday. : )

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
Old 10-24-2005, 02:34 PM

i made an appt w/ my regular ob and they can't get me in till nov. 22nd! i don't think i want to wait that long. here in ms, there isn't many midwives, and none near me, but there is a center/clinic in meridian, ms, 1 1/2 hrs east of me. im going to call to see if they can come here...im having a vbac, hopefully if they let me : my 2nd was a c-sec. as the cord was wrapped tightly around her neck, not letting her descend into the birth canal and her kept decelerating...

hey donosmommy, i hope you don't mind i copied your siggie for my mom too!
Old 10-24-2005, 04:13 PM

I have my 2nd u/s this Friday. I'm nervous as heck especially since I feel something on the left but nothing on the right and there was 1 on the right. It is probably just my imagination, but after 4 years of trying and all sorts of tests/treatments I don't think I'll relax until I've got the babies out and in my arms.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
Old 10-24-2005, 04:43 PM

Hey Miriam - where in LA do you live? I spent ten years in LA (I left in 2002). We live in D.C. now.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:07 PM

I am meeting with a prospective midwife in Bend on Thursday. This is if in fact we move. She was so nice on the phone, and told me she would work with my midwife here so if we do move mid-pg all the she will still be in touch with everything going on.

I know this means probably paying for 2 mw, but if that's what I have to do. My other option is to go the OB route here for the initital stuff, then transfer that to Bend. The only reason I don't want to do this is because my MW here is a very special person to me, and I want her to be a part of this process. It would probably save me about $2000, though.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have a first appointment tomorrow. We are just meeting this midwife for the first time since we moved out here. She is a CPM and we are planning for a homebirth with her, as long as she is hands-off enough for our tastes

I am ok with not being able to hear the heartbeat yet (7 weeks) I just feel so strange starting prenatal care again. I don't know if anyone else feels this way....it is just a little odd. My first pregnancy I wanted a prenatal exam RIGHT AWAY, and this time around it is like, "oh, yeah, I guess we should do that" I guess I know there is a baby in there, it just isn't really real to me yet.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Old 10-24-2005, 07:03 PM

Ooooo...I am getting impatient, I WISH my appt were this week but I have to wait until next week!! A week from Wednesday....Nov. 2, I can't wait! Even though you can't hear the hb yet, you can usually see it on u/s, right?? We did around 7 or 8 wks with both of my dds and it was really reassuring, so that's what I'm hoping for! I'll feel so much better seeing the u/s, if the hb looks good and the size looks right for dates and all.

Hey Stacy, you live in D.C.? We just moved from D.C. (sadly! rather suddenly, for DH's job) to PA late last year. It's OK here but I'm still sooooo homesick!

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

Old 10-24-2005, 08:09 PM

We saw the heartbeats at our 7 week u/s. Little white dots blinking on and off. Very cool!

Stacy, I'm in West LA and accross the street from Beverly Hills. We're having crappy weather this week so we might actually have a fall this year!

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
Old 10-24-2005, 09:57 PM

hey ladies~i called and had them see if they could fit me in sooner than nov 22nd and they could fit me in for an appt and sonogram on nov 7th. that's 2wks from today! that'll put me at 7wks so hopefully we'll see the i know we did around 6-7wks w/ our 2nd. AND i asked if anyone in my ob's group did vbac's and my ob (who delivered my 2nd) another in the group are the only two!!! how cool is that!!!!!! i'll get to have a chance at a vbac!!! im soooo excited!!
Old 10-25-2005, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2girlies
hey donosmommy, i hope you don't mind i copied your siggie for my mom too!
Not at all - it's awesome! I get to change mine to 18 years next month - I will always be in awe of how she made it through everything she went through with such a great attitude; she was so young, I was so young....but, I digress. Something near and dear to my heart that I could talk about for a LONG time...

Glad you got in a couple weeks earlier, and hurray for the VBAC - I'm planning one too!!

Old 10-25-2005, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BundleFishMama
Ooooo...I am getting impatient, I WISH my appt were this week but I have to wait until next week!! A week from Wednesday....Nov. 2, I can't wait! Even though you can't hear the hb yet, you can usually see it on u/s, right?? We did around 7 or 8 wks with both of my dds and it was really reassuring, so that's what I'm hoping for! I'll feel so much better seeing the u/s, if the hb looks good and the size looks right for dates and all.

Hey Stacy, you live in D.C.? We just moved from D.C. (sadly! rather suddenly, for DH's job) to PA late last year. It's OK here but I'm still sooooo homesick!
My appt is Nov 2cd too. I am not all that impatient..I hate getting blood drawn.

Where in PA do you live?? I live in SE PA too....

~C~
Old 10-25-2005, 11:21 AM

[QUOTE=Caroline248]My appt is Nov 2cd too. I am not all that impatient..I hate getting blood drawn.

QUOTE]

Mine's not until the 8th and I am very antsy!! But, then again if my m/s gets any worse, I may have to go in sooner
Old 10-25-2005, 11:42 AM

I am getting nervous that I haven't had a MS yet. So if I don't go to the MW, she can't tell me there is anything wrong, so I be blissfully ignorant.

I know, weird...it is sort of how I run my life and why I am in therapy now....My therapist would love to read this!!

~C~
Old 10-25-2005, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline248
I am getting nervous that I haven't had a MS yet. So if I don't go to the MW, she can't tell me there is anything wrong, so I be blissfully ignorant.

I know, weird...it is sort of how I run my life and why I am in therapy now....My therapist would love to read this!!

~C~

My ms didn't really start until 7 weeks. I will be 8 weeks tomorrow and it has really picked up.

I don't go until the 9th. I'll be 10 weeks then!
Old 10-25-2005, 11:49 AM

With my other kids I am sure it started by now. I should go read the archives, I bet I mentioned it in my last DDC...

~C~
Old 10-25-2005, 12:49 PM

I'm going in on thursday morning to see my midwife. It'll be an appointment of paper work blood drawing pee tests..and talking..lol She was my midwife for my last birth and we get along really well..i'm excited to be able to sit down and talk to her

Julia
Old 10-25-2005, 03:11 PM

ok so I went to the doctor today and let me just say that sometimes technology sucks.

We were charting I know when I ovulated I tested positive 12 dpo. So the doctor does an ultra sound and it says I am only 6 weeks 2 days instead of the 7 weeks 5 days I should be. (with a +or - 4 days) He told me my software was wrong. Ok so maybe it was but I doubt it other wise how would I get a positive pregnancy test so quickly, plus my cycles are really regular. I know in the grand scheme of the things it doesn't really matter but dang it I'm right and know exactly how far along I am. My chart just in case anyone wants to look at it.

Ok vent over, I was just a little annoyed. Otherwise the doctors appointment went great and I got complimented on be so educated about pregnancy and birth stuff.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:17 PM

Just got back from the midwife a little while ago...got my blood draw, etc. etc., bunch of paperwork. I really liked her, which is great since I really liked the one I had in PA for my DS...I was kind of worried if we would be a good fit, but it was very relaxed and natural, a good rapport. Talked about a lot of stuff, my last delivery, what happened, and what we might be able to do this time in order to get this one out the old fashioned way...

She was way excited when I told her last time I labored and pushed without meds, and only had the spinal cause of the section (and man did I hate that spinal)...and plan on no meds this time, too. I don't think they get a lot of that around here...

Got a slip for an U/S to confirm dates and check size, which I'm totally excited about because I'm a TOTAL looky-lou and want to see what's going on in there!

I'm glad we got off to a great start, and I'm seeign her again in 3 weeks. She bumped my thyroid meds up one notch kind of prophylactically until we get the thyroid level back cause it would be better to be a bit overreplaced than underreplaced at this stage in the game.

Hope everyone else who has a visit this week has a good visit, too!!

Old 10-25-2005, 03:41 PM

DH & I met the new mw yesterday fr my first appt! We had our fingers crossed that we would like her and we did. Turns out her midwife was also my mw for my 1st & 2nd! That helped so much. We both love and miss her

So, we got some paperwork filled out, drew blood, checked my urine, took my weight (I've already gained 6 lbs!!! eek!), and just got to know each other. Our next appt is on the 22nd. I can't wait! We should be able to hear the baby's heartbeat by then!!!

Mom to : DS1 (11), DS2 (8), DD3 (4), : DS4 (1), and : : :
Old 10-25-2005, 05:36 PM

I saw my OB at like 4.5 weeks to check out a cyst. I went to get a u/s at around 5 weeks to look at the cyst.

I have an appt. with the midwife on November 22. I will be about 10.5 weeks pg then so hopefully, we'll hear a HB!

Then I go back to see the OB on December 6.

mom to dd 8/03 ds 6/06 and numero tres, ds 11/11 stillheart.gif

Old 10-25-2005, 06:41 PM

I go to see my midwife at the end of November, I think. When I'm 10 weeks. Oh, such a long wait!
Old 10-25-2005, 11:05 PM

I have my first doctors appt Nov 10th. It seems like a long time away, but I guess I will only be 9 weeks still. I just don't really feel like I am pregnant yet.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:25 AM

I go in Thursday morning to meet with one of the nurses for blood draw / history /etc. November 11 is the first OB appt!
Old 10-26-2005, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

I also hate having blood drawn and have all these stipulations (like laying down). The mw I really like actually did my blood draw so that gave us a chance to chat and that's always fun. She mentioned that we should be able to hear baby's heartbeat at the next appt. and then we talked about me being nervous about this pg and she said, "well we can take a quick peek and see how everything looks." Normally non-interventive me jumped all over it and we got to see how much baby had grown and changed in the last 2 weeks and how much faster baby's heartrate was this time (177 bpm at 7w, 6d). It was very reassuring and I am done with u/s's for awhile. Good luck to those going tomorrow and Friday!

Nichole, mama to 6 blue-eyed babies, LCCE, doula, apprentice mw
Old 10-27-2005, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimid
Stacy, I'm in West LA and accross the street from Beverly Hills. We're having crappy weather this week so we might actually have a fall this year!
Crappy weather in LA? Ha! No, crappy weather is here in D.C. - two weeks straight of depressing rain (8") and freezing cold. Oh, how I miss the weather in LA. I would definitely trade fall in the East for fall in LA. I always love the smell of fall walking around in Bev Hills, that smell of the Italian restaurants wood burning ovens and fireplaces and the slightest little nip in the air...
Old 10-27-2005, 12:08 PM

Oh, I am so anxious to go! I was supposed to have ny 1st appt yesterday, but due to hurricane Wilma we had to move it to next week I guess I am not so excited about getting blolod drawn, when I had it done for ds I nearly fainted. no fun

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
Old 10-28-2005, 05:03 PM

Chris, J, and I took a tour of the birth center and had a consultation with one of the midwives on Tuesday. It seemed to really click for all of us. It was just tour and meeting with one of the midwives, not an official appointment as I'm not an official client yet. It was more like a "meet & greet" to learn more about the place and the midwives.

I loved the midwife. She's been doing this for over a decade and yet, when she was telling us about a birth there on Saturday she just glowed. She is still madly in love with babies and birth and it showed. I certainly got the feeling I would be much more than just "another big mac served" for her

The birth center is in a house, so it has a very home-like vibe in a REAL way (not the way some hopsitals try to create with a "faux" homey atmosphere) it has hardwood floors and beautiful windows and built in bookshelves and the exam rooms and birthing rooms had such a nice vibe about them. There is a kitchen and a backyard with a playset. It is actually the place my mother was to deliver one of my siblings in the late 80s, but it's changed owners and is a little different than I remember from all those years ago. I really liked it. I can see it as a place where we can have a home away from home for our birth. I want us all to be able to be comfortable and to be able to celebrate this event. It is very important to me not to be treated like this pregnancy is an illness or a medical condition. You know?

It was nice to walk into a place and not see a big formula company poster on the wall, but shelves of books on breastfeeding, natural birth, and ads for local yoga classes and pamphlets about baby massage and a cloth diapers. As I get a little older and a little wiser, I realize that there is no one "wrong" or "right" way - everyone has to make their own choices as for what is best for their birth, their family, their children. But, for us, this place really reflected our personal choices and philosophies. I could see myself giving birth there. We're going to talk to a few more midwives and discuss it a bit more, and find out what our insurance will cover, but I really have a good feeling about the place and it feels like the right place for us.

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 

User Tag List