So Have You Thought About Names? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 10-27-2005, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know it's a little early, but you have to admit, it's always fun to think of names for your baby. None of these are confirmed by any means, but here's what I'm "imagining"

Boy:
Sean Rocco
Dawson James (Dawson is a family surname)

Girl:
Sienna
Skylar
Charlotte

Have fun because it is fun to think of names for our babies. Feel free to talk about naming traditions you have, etc.

For us, we never tell anyone the baby's name before it is born. In fact, we were still deliberating about it when dd was born.

B

mom to dd 8/03 ds 6/06 and numero tres, ds 11/11 stillheart.gif

#2 of 30 Old 10-27-2005, 02:20 PM

yes, we are already thinking about names, too! for us, girl names are way easy, but boy names are driving us CRAZY!

So far, we've come up with:

Girl:
Azalea Jane (nickname: Zali. I love the combo of unusual with "plain jane"!)
Risa Ione (risa sounds like reese-ah, and means "one who laughs", ione is a family name we both like)

We also like: Ruby, Violet, Fiona

Boy:
Emmett Amado
Oscar
I also like August.

Have you guys checked out the Baby Name Wizard Baby Voyager ? It is so cool. It shows you in a very visual way when names were popular over the years and which ones are becoming popular lately. We're trying really hard to avoid "trendy" names if we can. I have a really unusal name, and I like that when I hear it, I'm pretty sure that whoever said it is talking to me! But sometimes trends are hard to predict, so we'll keep that in mind.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#3 of 30 Old 10-27-2005, 02:33 PM

It's always fun to think about names. We did that before I was even pg. Luckily we both like classic names, not so much newer ones that require creative spelling or apostrophes.

We like Nora Catherine for a girl or Finola Catherine (Nola for short).
Husband likes Mortimer for a boy, which cracks me up. Little Morty.

I think maybe it's a girl, because we have a damned hard time with boy names. Anyone else had an experience like that and been right in the end?
#4 of 30 Old 10-27-2005, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

I like all these names. I think August is a great name and could really work for a boy or a girl IMHO.

B

#5 of 30 Old 10-27-2005, 03:29 PM

Boy: No clue whatsoever. LOL

Girl: We both like Marie, but I'm leaning towards Lilith Marie.

Mom of 3 (Evan, Trey, Saffron ) Blogs at findingsummer.com
#6 of 30 Old 10-27-2005, 03:30 PM

We've had a girl's name since I got pregnant with ds#1. We're wondering if we'll ever be able to use it! If this bean is a girl, she'll be:

Kate Astrid (Astrid being my middle name and a family name - pronounced "aww - strie", no "d" sound at the end)

Boys' names are so much more difficult for us, I think because I used to teach and my dh still does, so there are definitely names that have bad stigma's attached to them. I love the names:

Joseph Owen -or-
Owen Joseph (Joseph was dh's grandpa's names) -or-
Adam Joseph

If I were due right now, the baby, if a boy, would probably be Owen Joseph. I love the sound of it (esp. with our last name), though we probably wouldn't call him "OJ" for short! Both ds's have somewhat common names: Ian and Aaron. I love them both and part of us is stuck now with this idea of vowels for the boys, but if I pop any more boys out, we are going to run out of names we like that start with vowels!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#7 of 30 Old 10-27-2005, 04:25 PM

So far we have a girls name
Reagan Dorlin (dh's grandmother's middle name and mother's middle name)

Boys we are still thinking
we like
Owen
Brian
James
but none of those feel quite right so we are still brainstorming.
#8 of 30 Old 10-27-2005, 05:19 PM

We have always had our names picked out in the order of birth.

If we have a girl it will be Eden Shalom.
A boy will be Judah Daniel.

Then...
Should we have more kids, other names on the list are:
Ariel (pronounced R-e-L) (which like Zion, means Jerusalem).
Jericho
Jordan
Keila (also a Biblical place)
Moriah

and a few others we've considered. Can you tell we have a "theme"?
#9 of 30 Old 10-27-2005, 06:51 PM

WOW!! I am so impressed & jealous that you all have some names at this point! It took us almost 8 months to come up our son's name...Grayson Alexander (both family names for us & a St.'s name)...we didn't ever have a solid girls name even when I was pushing!! Thank goodness we had a boy!

We are back to square one with this baby...maybe in 7 1/2 months we'll have a clue~LOL

mary

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#10 of 30 Old 10-27-2005, 07:36 PM

Well..if it's a boy - he will definitely be James

and I think we've narrowed our girl list down to:

Abigail
Audrey
Natalie or
Gabrielle

middle names with probably be to honor one of the grandparents or great grandparents...but that's still up in the air
#11 of 30 Old 10-27-2005, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders
Boys' names are so much more difficult for us, I think because I used to teach and my dh still does, so there are definitely names that have bad stigma's attached to them.
We've had this problem with names for both sexes - we've both taught & run camping programs....no offence to moms of a "Tyler" but all the "Tylers" I've known were a major handful!!!
#12 of 30 Old 10-27-2005, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
mylittlewonders-This is too funny. My son's name is Owen Joseph! My husband's name is Joseph Aaron and he didn't want a Jr. so we talked about which way to put the name. We considered Owen Aaron for a name too, but our last name is Urban and Owen Aaron Urban just sounded like a tongue twister

Anyhow for names we are thinking right now:
girl:
Maura
Maureen
Mallory
Delia
Fiona
Hale

Boy:
Ian (but not sure if that is too close to Owen)
Ephraim (my top choice)
Hale

I think this baby is a girl, so that is where I have spent my time concentrating

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#13 of 30 Old 10-27-2005, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwings640
mylittlewonders-This is too funny. My son's name is Owen Joseph! My husband's name is Joseph Aaron and he didn't want a Jr. so we talked about which way to put the name. We considered Owen Aaron for a name too, but our last name is Urban and Owen Aaron Urban just sounded like a tongue twister
That made me giggle!

When I was pregnant with ds#1, there was a part of me that wanted to go all Italian with the names (dh's last name is Italian). For a girl I love the name Isabella. But our last name is Montrella ... Isabella Montrella just sounded kind of cruel for a parent to do to their child, so that got vetoed!

#14 of 30 Old 10-27-2005, 09:16 PM

For dd when we had her the girl name was easy Elizabeth Maria. I love the name Elizabeth and Maria in my family goes back 6-7 generations. We struggled w boy names I wanted Robert Francis (fil is Robert as if dh, my dad is Frank). But dh dosents want another Robert since we have some trouble w two Roberts living in our town. 3 would be a bit much. His mother said the same.

We are thinking this time:
Matthew Robert
Michael Paul- my older brother and my bil
Jonathon Robert
Holden (mil's maiden name)

Also
Margaret Patricia dh's paternal grandmother and his mother
Emily
Emma

We are leaning towards Margaret since it would then be Maggie. Also then the names will carry over again like dd1's name. MIL wanted dd's name to be Margaret since she was born on what would have been the Grandmother Margaret's 100th birthday.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#15 of 30 Old 10-27-2005, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Brit, we have friends that named their daughter Gia. I looove that name and it would be adorable with your last name. Just a recomendation. I love Isabella, too, but I can see how it wouldn't work with your last name.

#16 of 30 Old 10-27-2005, 09:36 PM

Another Owen fan here...We have decided not to decide until the baby is born. When Jackson was born I looked at him and thought his name should be Daniel (not a name we ever thought of) and DH was pretty annoyed. We had already told everyone his name, and people had already PERSONALIZED stuff...

So this time we are not deciding.

But, so ideas are:

Boys:

Owen James
Thomas James
Ethan??

I need to work on the boy names

Girls:

Amelia Joanne (call her Mia, and Joanne is my moms sister that passed away when she was a little girl)

Evelyn Joanne

We have time to change....

~C~
#17 of 30 Old 10-27-2005, 09:37 PM

Oh, I love Isabella too...but becoming way too trendy around here!

~C~
#18 of 30 Old 10-27-2005, 09:58 PM

Amy,
Michael Paul has such a cool sound to it ... I also really like Margaret (and Maggie ). Part of me would really love to name a girl Margie (my dad's mom - my fav grandma - was Margit, which was hard for people to remember it seems so she was often called Margie. It's also my mom's nickname for her mom - Marjorie).

Augustmommy: Gia is a really pretty name. Sometimes I wish we hadn't "picked" a girl's name because each pregnancy I hear some more names that are really cool.

It is good that you get a while to decide ... it's time to pull up the Social Security list of names for 2004 to see which ones are too popular and which ones don't make the list. (Like Kate isn't really popular at all, but the variations of it are: Katelyn, Katherine, etc. I think it's cool though that she'd have the same issues I have always had with my name: Brit, is that short for something? No ... just Brit. Instead it'll be ... No ... just Kate. )

#19 of 30 Old 10-28-2005, 10:33 AM

Well, before we found out what we were having w/#1, I had a bunch of girl's names picked out. Then something told me "You'd better start thinking of boys' names...'cos the girl names are too easy to come up with..." (we couldn't think of any boy's names we liked)

Then we found out #1 is a boy & pondered names for the rest of the pregnancy. The day he was born, we settled on a name: Alexander Maximillian. We just really, really liked the sound of both names together. We call him Zander.

Now that he's 3, and has shown us his personality, I'm starting to have doubts about naming my son "Alexander the Great" ...and have thought about naming #2 a name that means "meek" or "quiet" if it's a boy... (I'm just kidding; I couldn't really do that) And what can you name boy #2 to equal "Alexander the Great"?

Haven't thought about girls' names yet, but for boys' names, I'm kicking around the idea of Wolfgang for a middle name...or Javier...or Joachim (except that the grandparents would never be able to pronounce it). We prolly won't go that far "out there", but ya never know.
#20 of 30 Old 10-28-2005, 02:26 PM

For girls I'm thinking:

Evelyn (eve) Margaret
Aspen
Nova
Adele
Eva or Ava

Boys:
Xavier (DH loves it)
Isaiah
Elijah
Dylan

DS #1's name is Thor, so we're trying to find a good match with him...

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#21 of 30 Old 10-28-2005, 03:49 PM

We already had 1 boy and 1 girl name picked out. Now we need more and it is hard. We want to use family names and so many from my family are very old fashioned so we are having a harder time with other names.

The 2 we know we want: Avraham Albert and Vivian Yehudit.

The girl's name I've always loved is Serah (pronounced ser-ach) but no one would ever pronounce it right so it's been nixed. :

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#22 of 30 Old 10-28-2005, 08:32 PM

We already have our names picked out. If we have a girl her name will be Kaya (after my mother) and her middle name will be Laven or Ellen (after my husbands sister who passed away). And if we have a boy his name will be Silas. We're unsure of a middle name for a boy at this time but I'm sure we'll think of something. We were thinking Silas Thomas after my father and my brother. But we're not sure yet.
#23 of 30 Old 10-28-2005, 09:03 PM

Yes, we have some possible names.

Boy:

Gabriel Paul
Sebastian
Jack

Girl:

Claudia
Veronica
Maria
Claire
Hannah
#24 of 30 Old 10-28-2005, 09:23 PM

I am so impressed that all of you have started a list! It is so hard after naming 3 that I'm sure it is going to be a difficult process. I also find naming very stressful. Don't get me wrong - I love names and looking at what others have picked out, but I find it hard to give a child a name that they will have for the rest of their lives....pressure! Oh, and not to mention all of the rules I have developed - makes dh crazy!

What we already have:
Isabella Grace (Bella)
Sophia Nichole (Sophie)
Joseph Ryan (Joey)

Here are some names I like:
girls:
Eva or Ava
Caterina (Cat or Cate)
Natalia

boys:
NOTHING! Had the hardest time picking out ds's name. I like traditional, but not overly popular. First choice for ds was Aiden until we realized that was the same name everyone else chose so we changed it to a family name.

Nichole, mama to 6 blue-eyed babies, LCCE, doula, apprentice mw
#25 of 30 Old 10-29-2005, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For a girl we like Casey; Casey Sunshine
Wasn't there a casey and the Sunshine band or something?....hmmm.......
I also like Rowan and Nova. No particular, just think they are peaceful and nice

For a boy, no ideas, yet! We didn't name ds1 until he was born.....

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#26 of 30 Old 10-29-2005, 03:44 PM

Touchy subject around here... I supposedly 'stole' Alexander from my SIL and used it as a middle name for DS2...

We like unusual here though, so naming is fun!

--K knit.gifluxlove.gif = dsd '01, ds1 '01, ds2 '03, dd1 '06, dd2 '09 grouphug.gif

#27 of 30 Old 10-31-2005, 03:54 PM

Girl:

Viola Loleini

Boy:

Leo (no middle name yet)
#28 of 30 Old 10-31-2005, 04:29 PM

We're pretty sure we're having a boy and are naming him Benjamin. We're a little torn over the spelling though. Benyamin, Benjimin, Bengamyn, Benjamyn, Benjiman, etc. Any ideas?

Also, we're undecided about a middle name. Benjamin means "Son of the right hand." We're very religious, and I like a name with good flow and meaning, I really like (for the middle name) Ethan ("strong/firm"). My husband and I both like Shen ("spiritual") and he likes Spencer ("dispenser/keeper").

If by chance we have a girl we're naming her Emah Eden ("embracing everything delightful"). We already have a Juelie Anise ("youthful grace").

I'm a little upset about how popular the name Emma has gotten, but oh well, what can you do?

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#29 of 30 Old 10-31-2005, 07:05 PM

We have been thinking about names alot
for sure if it is a girl

Ashley (named after my little sister) Lynn (a family middle name will be 4 generation it is passed on to) Ezell "Ashlynn" is what we would call her

if it is a boy...still debating about this one

John Samuel Ezell Jr. Not sure because my husdand is John, and my father-in-law is Same, so we don't know what we would call him
#30 of 30 Old 10-31-2005, 08:07 PM

Girl: No middle name yet
Caroline
Catherine
Emma
Meredith

Boy: Middle name will be Thomas after my dad
Joshua
Benjamin
Samuel
David

I'm sure there will be more after many debates

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page