How do you deal with the fatigue? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-27-2005, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi folks,

This site came highly recommended by my oldest friend, whom I saw last night for the first time in a long while.

Anyway, I am getting as much sleep as I possibly can given my work schedule and I'm still exhausted. What to do? I eat well, although I don't really exercise.

Also, I am fed up with my ob-gyn who has refused even to sign a bed-rest permission that would have allowed me to lay down for an hour every couple days as work. I'm looking into a midwife organization that has been in my area since '87 and whom I've heard good things about. Don't know how they'll be about the bed rest, but at least they won't make me wait six weeks for an appointment.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 10-27-2005, 05:48 PM

Well, I am ridiculously lucky in that I work from home. So, when the baby keeps me up all night, (because really, who would want to sleep at 2am?) I work, and then I sleep late in the morning and sometimes take a nap around 4pm. Oh, that's why I'm getting yawny, it's almost 4pm. This child likes quite a wacky schedule.

I hope the MWs will be able to help you.
#3 of 13 Old 10-27-2005, 05:53 PM

Welcome Lisa!!

Congrats on your upcoming baby as well!!

You'll find quite a good amount of company here and most of us have already delivered before so we can help!

But, since this is early in you pregncy, you will be tired no matter what- in fact exhuasted. Sorry! What happens is your body is producing extra stuff to help your baby grow and working over time so to say. This also makes your heart beat faster causing you to feel tired a good portion of the day. Add the added 24 hour a day the prgcy is on your mind, plus maybe not getting the best sleep since you maybe getting up to pee adds to it.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#4 of 13 Old 10-27-2005, 07:05 PM

Dude, I collapse. I have no willpower, its totally pathetic. I take two naps every day and go to bed at 8 and wake up at 3am. My sleep schedule is so weird!!!

Anyway, I'm also working out of the house (if you can call it "working" these days). With my first, I was working F/T and I used to go to the bathroom and fall asleep on the toilet. I'd sometimes also take naps during my lunch hour in the car. With my second, I took two weeks off of work and prayed that they would not fire me, and I slept through the whole two weeks.

Knock on wood, the m/s is subsiding, but if I remember correctly, the fatigue is never going to go away.

Good luck and welcome!!

Mom to : DS1 (11), DS2 (8), DD3 (4), : DS4 (1), and : : :
#5 of 13 Old 10-28-2005, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks folks for the feedback. Last night I had a rare burst of energy and was actually awake and talking to my husband until about 10:00 pm. He was amazed.

The peeing every four hours or less every night was a surprise, too. So much they don't tell you about pregnancy.

All in all, it's so worth it, though. I am so excited at the thought that I am nesting a little human being.

I think I talked my husband into a non-hospital birth, too. Poor thing, I sprung it on him last night while he was stuck in traffic. It took some doing, but he's really open-minded and understanding, and he admits he knows less about this whole thing than I do.

Cheers! We'll see how long I last today before the urge to nap hits like Hurricane Rita.
#6 of 13 Old 10-28-2005, 04:45 PM

Something I promised myself with this pregnancy was that I would listen to my body this time around. Really listen. If I'm tired, I go lay down. I may not always sleep, but I at least put my feet up and rest. I figure there is a reason I'm so sleepy: my body is building a whole other person. No easy task. So, I nap and I nap guilt-free - something I rarely gave myself permission to do with my first pregnancy.

I know not everyone has this option, tho'. But, even then, mamas I would encourage to give yourself permission to rest whenever it is that you can. o l know that jobs, clients, children need us, but the the dishes will still be there, the mail can be read later, etc. Be good to yourselves, whenever you can.

I also think, for me, it's easier to give myself permission to rest during this time in the pregnancy because I know that there came a time last pregnancy where I had TONS of energy - like run the vac at 2am, just have to totally reorganize the pantry and iron all the babyclothes energy (okay, some may call that insanity ). I figure it all evens out.

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#7 of 13 Old 10-28-2005, 05:22 PM

Kara- I have to agree 100% w what your saying. But also remember MAmas, your body wants you to rest to help you baby grow. Also if the DR or anyone else tells you to take it easy- LISTEN! You're not doing anyone any favors by not helping your baby.

I remember last time I was on bedrest and it was a strict bedrest. I had to explain to people that- when I got up I would have contractions, I needed to stay on the sofa. Someone had the balls to say- yeah try that w a kid. Believe me, if it happens again, I will do it again. I would rather be grounded at home and see my dd, then in the NICU with a baby.

But ff when my friend was on bedrest 4 mos later w her twins. I had to convince her she had to do what I did and this was after she had to go to the hospital 3 times to stop contractions. I pray none of you mamas make this mistake.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#8 of 13 Old 10-28-2005, 06:09 PM

The fatigue is awful for me, too, this time around. I remember being tired the first time, but this is nuts. The m/s is also worse than I remember...I was thinking seriously about going to an accupucturist as I've exhausted all other options.

I am sad to say (and very embarrassed to admit) that the Noggin channel has been a real savior for me and my poor 19mo dd. She doesn't watch it all day, but it's more than I would like because I just don't have the energy to go for walks or take her places like I usually do. I just hate this!

I'm really hoping that the m/s will ease up soon so we can get back to our walks and outings as the weather has been so beautiful. She has been going to a mother's day out program twice a week and there's no TV there, they have play time, arts & crafts, etc. She seems to really love it and get's so excited when we pull up to the building. Yesterday they had a Halloween party and Lex dressed up as a cat. So cute!

I actually hear that exercise helps fight the fatigue...

And I recall getting a burst of energy around the middle of my 5th month...can't wait!

Good luck to all you mommies...don't hate me because I abuse my TV!
#9 of 13 Old 10-28-2005, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

I hereby absolve you of any useless guilt over watching TV with your two-year old. Now if you did it for eighteen years on end, that would probably be something else.

I am currently taking a two-pronged strategy to deal with this fatigue thing: one, I eat or drink something almost constantly. I'm being really good so far and keeping it to veggies and fruit and skim milk and water, but it's absolutely essential that I send something down the gullet every hour and a half or so, at least when I'm not asleep. Two: I've been frequenting the boards on this site, watching the coverage of the White House special prosecutor, even watching movie trailers - in effect, when I'm at work and not actually working (hey, it's a Friday) I'm distracting myself with the Internet! What did pregnant moms do before TV and the Internet???

Anyway, thanks everyone for the feedback - this site and you folks are great!
#10 of 13 Old 10-28-2005, 06:35 PM

I don't know if I am less tired with each pregnancy, or I have more going on so I just can't notice it anymore!

This week has been crazy, and I have a 14 month old and a 4 year old at home, plus the other two have school and all the activities that go with it. So I don't nap. But come 9 pm, I am in bed, out cold. Of course, the 14 month old doesn't sleep through the night, so I am up with him on and off, but I usually try to sleep until 8 am. My oldest son can get breakfast for the two girls....That is my big help, not having to get up to do breakfast!

~C~
#11 of 13 Old 10-28-2005, 08:07 PM

We were at the doc's office today and DH was complaining that I was sleeping all the time. The doc told him to get used to it because eh could guarantee that I'll be resting a lot more before this is over and that he should get all his sleep in now, too because once the babes arrive, no one will get any sleep!

I try tp get between 8 and 10 hours at night and take a 2 hour nap during the day. The nap is sometimes split in 2 or 3. I also rest and relax and do more stuff sitting than I used to.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#12 of 13 Old 10-28-2005, 08:31 PM

mimid- when you get a bit of energy find a multiples club to start going to. They were a lifesavor for my friend w twins. They can also tell you things to expect etc.

#13 of 13 Old 10-28-2005, 09:26 PM

I've been so tired already with this pregnancy. I eat well, I take naps when I need to, I've been going to bed earlier but I've also been getting up earlier. I know that meditating and yoga help me alittle bit. Eating fruit through out the day has helped give me alittle energy. I'm still trying to figure out ways to keep my energy level up. Sunlight helps ALOT!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page