Chat Thread Nov 1-15th - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 80 Old 10-31-2005, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know I'm a day early but I wanted to get started again!!

Topic-

The new Mothering came out and there is an article on breastmilk as a medicine. Since I am not the only mama who nursed (and can't wait to do it again!!) this is a good topic. Also, you soon to be mamas will get some info.

I thought I had something no one else did. I used breastmilk to cure pink eye in MY eye and dd's. It cured a rash she had on her, its great for ear aches,
Also DH had a weird sore that we put breast milk on and presto- cured. I almost thought about cleaning the house with it But maybe thats why I kept nursing until she clw d at 30 mos.

Anyone else use breastmilk for something other than feeding??

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 80 Old 10-31-2005, 10:39 PM

I can't think of much I did w/ breastmilk that was out of the ordinary - but I do credit the extended breastfeeding for the fact that Caroline has only been sick once in 18 months and it was very minor
#3 of 80 Old 11-01-2005, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey, this reminds me of something I've wondered about off and on in the recent past. I EBF my DS to 14 months, he never had a drop of formula. We are at home together so no potential for daycare illnesses. Yet somehow, between the age of 6-12 months DS still managed to contract:

2 big ear infections
2 lousy colds
AND
Strep throat!

:
What's up with that? The only comforting thought I've managed out of it is that he probably would have been even sicker if he had formula...

Sometimes I feel like the only mama who breastfed past 1 year whose kid got so sick the first year.

OK, my whine is over. FWIW, he has been pretty healthy his 2nd year so far - knock on wood.

Anybody have any ideas? Maybe I'll x-post this on the breastfeeding boards, to see if anyone there has any ideas...it's always kind of bugged me, but then I feel petty getting worked up about it because I think of all the families out there with babies who have serious illnesses, and we've been so lucky to have no major problems.

Anyway, I think it's awesome for all other mamas and babies when the benefits of BF work out for their health I just wish it would have worked better for mine!!

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#4 of 80 Old 11-01-2005, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donosmommy04
Hey, this reminds me of something I've wondered about off and on in the recent past. I EBF my DS to 14 months, he never had a drop of formula. We are at home together so no potential for daycare illnesses. Yet somehow, between the age of 6-12 months DS still managed to contract:

2 big ear infections
2 lousy colds
AND
Strep throat!

:
What's up with that? The only comforting thought I've managed out of it is that he probably would have been even sicker if he had formula...
Mine also never had a drop of formula. I was also home w her. She had at least 2 ear infections her first year but never had a cold until past 18 mos or so. She had strep once when she was about 2 1/2 or so. We think it was the way we bathed her so we started plugging her ears and she never had another ear infection.

If anything dd was sick for maybe a day or so and done. I know moms whose kids would be sick for days on end it seemed. So maybe your bfeeding helped him combat these illnesses better than if he had not been.
I do know last year when her nursing stopped we started giving her a vitamin everyday and she was not sick all last winter. I took prenatels almost to when she weaned so she would get all that good stuff.

So don't kil yourself over it, besides its good for people to get sick to build up an immunity.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#5 of 80 Old 11-01-2005, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st
If anything dd was sick for maybe a day or so and done. I know moms whose kids would be sick for days on end it seemed. So maybe your bfeeding helped him combat these illnesses better than if he had not been.

I think that is the difference really. BF kids seem to get better quicker and don't get as sick with the same illness that a non-BF kid fights off.

That said, my exclusivley BF 14 month old was very sick last year. Constant colds, pnuemonia.....we never did figure that out. Only difference between his first year and my other kids is that we had a dog...

~C~
#6 of 80 Old 11-01-2005, 11:57 AM

Quote:

2 big ear infections
2 lousy colds
AND
Strep throat!

:

Sometimes I feel like the only mama who breastfed past 1 year whose kid got so sick the first year.

OK, my whine is over. FWIW, he has been pretty healthy his 2nd year so far - knock on wood.

Anybody have any ideas? Maybe I'll x-post this on the breastfeeding boards, to see if anyone there has any ideas...it's always kind of bugged me, but then I feel petty getting worked up about it because I think of all the families out there with babies who have serious illnesses, and we've been so lucky to have no major problems.

Anyway, I think it's awesome for all other mamas and babies when the benefits of BF work out for their health I just wish it would have worked better for mine!!

My ds had 1 ear infection but he did get pnemonia twice. I nursed him for 28 months. We eventually had to get his tonsils and adenoids removed because of sleep apnea and some other issues. When we were seeing the ENT she looked in his throat and asked me how on earth did he not have chronic ear infections. I told I'm not sure, she asked well are you still nursing him, and I said yes and she that's it, if you hadn't he would have been one very unhealthy boy. That made me realize how glad I was I nursed him because as bad as all that was it could have been a lot worse.

As for the OP we used bm to cure pink eye in my dog. I think that's I can remember doing with it though. But I can't seem to remember much of anything lately.
#7 of 80 Old 11-01-2005, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Oh! I didn't mean for my post to be discouraging to you! And - I know many mamas whose kids got colds, etc even though they extended B'fed. I was a very sickly child & I was not breastfed. My mom learned more about breastfeeding as time went on & did breastfeed my brothers who have none of the health problems I had & she always says "I wonder if things would have been different if I had breastfed you..."

I don't dwell on it - but I do believe that whether it's a boost in protection from colds & flu, or long term allergy and immune system boosts - breastmilk is the sh!t when it comes to protecting your children's health.
#8 of 80 Old 11-01-2005, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraboosMama
Oh! I didn't mean for my post to be discouraging to you! And - I know many mamas whose kids got colds, etc even though they extended B'fed. I was a very sickly child & I was not breastfed. My mom learned more about breastfeeding as time went on & did breastfeed my brothers who have none of the health problems I had & she always says "I wonder if things would have been different if I had breastfed you..."

I don't dwell on it - but I do believe that whether it's a boost in protection from colds & flu, or long term allergy and immune system boosts - breastmilk is the sh!t when it comes to protecting your children's health.
Oh, CaraboosMama, no, I didn't take it that way at all! Sorry if I came across that way......it was just something that had popped into my head now and then, and I decided to put it out there yesterday - Now I'm kinda for hijacking the thread! Sorry!!!

Thanks ladies for your support and thoughts - I plan on EBF this babe too, no question about it...

...and now, back to your regularly scheduled OP question....

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#9 of 80 Old 11-01-2005, 01:22 PM

we use it on cuts and zits. That stuff is a miracle cure! Though it totally grosses my 5 year old out, I tend to attack her cuts when she is in bed asleep otherwise she wont let me near her. Drives me crazy too because her skin takes forever to heal, but if I get the boob juice on there it more then cuts the healing time in half. I have also used it in a pinch in recipies that call for milk...never would know the difference!

And as for the whole health benefits, I think it totally depends upon your kids and their environment. My mom kept saying gee a lot of good it does because my girls were always getting colds etc, but the baby's tended to be a lot milder. Unfortunately mine we always exposed to tons of germs between school, visiting family and friends, shopping etc. My SIL on the other had had a baby that pretty much was never sick until he was older, she is near three now and is constantly sick. However, he never left the house until he was over a year, so go figure, its all about the environment.
#10 of 80 Old 11-01-2005, 02:04 PM

LOL I read that entire article last night to DH. I wish I had known the last time, DS had such a bad diaper rash before switching to cloth that could have been so easily cured. This time, however, I know and can't wait to "test" it out.

DH said he's going to hide from me. LOL

Mom of 3 (Evan, Trey, Saffron ) Blogs at findingsummer.com
#11 of 80 Old 11-01-2005, 02:07 PM

Oh, and what did everyone think about the epidural article in there as well? I was talking about it last night with a friend and another woman jumped in and got very hateful and angry about it, even said that the writer needed to get their facts straight.

Persoanlly I loved it and plan to put this in my birth bag for when the time comes.

#12 of 80 Old 11-01-2005, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillake
Oh, and what did everyone think about the epidural article in there as well? I was talking about it last night with a friend and another woman jumped in and got very hateful and angry about it, even said that the writer needed to get their facts straight.

Persoanlly I loved it and plan to put this in my birth bag for when the time comes.
I thought it was well written and I wonder- what was she angry about?
The facts were very straight forward and the last 2 pages were devoted to resources- she is welcome to check those out.

I had an epideral with my fist delivery. And it will be my last. My DH said afterwards after all that happened, we cannot do this again.
When I got it my blood pressure shot down so much my DH thought I would die, thankfully I was fine a minute later. Also Flat on my back pushing a baby out for two hours did not help matters. Also she was lodged on my tail bone and I still have trouble. Also my shoulder still has trouble from being placed in that position. Thankfully dh is a physical thrpst and treats me.
Thankfully also, I was able to nurse 20 minutes later and I was fine. In spite we had a very good birth experience and we know for next time.

#13 of 80 Old 11-01-2005, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekermage
the boob juice on there it more then cuts the healing time in half.

We called it Mom Juice or Liquid gold. But love the boob juice.

#14 of 80 Old 11-01-2005, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st
I thought it was well written and I wonder- what was she angry about?
The facts were very straight forward and the last 2 pages were devoted to resources- she is welcome to check those out.
She had an epidural with both of her children and she feels that the entire article was a lie. She informed us that her sons had decreasing oxygen and decreasing heartrates and the epidurals is what lifted both up to stable levels. When I showed her the information the article about having negative effects she got very angry and claimed that the article was wrong.

#15 of 80 Old 11-01-2005, 04:03 PM

I haven't used breastmilk on too much, but have put it in my older dd's cups when they are getting sick in hopes of cutting duration or severity. I wish I would have know that it helped with baby acne - ds had it pretty bad.

Amy - I think you said you had used it with your own pink eye and I didn't realize you could use it on yourself. I thought it wouldn't work because you already have the immunities found in your milk.

As for the epidural article and the person who was offended....people who are offended by the truth are often truly feeling guilty about their own choices. And then of course there is the whole group of people who choose not to be educated because then they would be forced to be responsible for their own decisions. Can anyone tell this is a HUGE source of frustration for me?

Nichole, mama to 6 blue-eyed babies, LCCE, doula, apprentice mw
#16 of 80 Old 11-01-2005, 04:46 PM

Hi everyone, I am just coming out of lurkdom and the shock is finally wearing off so I am joining the June club now!

I tried using breastmilk on dd's congested nose once but I couldn't really get it to stay up there. Then I went back to work and pumped just enough for her to drink during the day so I have never had extra to use for other reasons. I am planning on staying home when this baby comes and tandem nursing so I hope my supply will be super strong this time and I can freeze extras for a rainy day.

dd has been really healthy so far, some seasonal allergies and a cold here and there. I thought it would be worse being in daycare but I am sure the breastmilk has kept her healthier than she would have been otherwise.
#17 of 80 Old 11-01-2005, 05:42 PM

Just subbing. Haven't ever bfed since this is my first... so I have nothing to add!

However, my eczema has turned into something else, I'm going to the derm today at 2:30 to hopefully find somtehing that will be safe to do while pregnant. I think it's a virus on the eczema - had it a few years ago, and was told it wouldn't come back but apparently it has! lucky me

Hope you all are having good days!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#18 of 80 Old 11-01-2005, 06:18 PM

hi all,

my ds had many ear infections his first year--probaly like 5 or something. but overall, he didn't have too many illnesses. and he didn't have a drop of formula.

i didn't use breastmilk for all the extra stuff though. i'll have to read the article as soon as i get a chance.

i am not sure how much ear infections have to do with illnesses in the true sense though. i mean, aren't they based on fluid getting stuck because the ear canal is so small?

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#19 of 80 Old 11-01-2005, 07:18 PM

wow, lots to catch up on in the last day! good to see us all over here

first off, hugs christina let us know how you're doing...

im still bf'ing my toddler and i don't see her stopping anytime soon, so i'll be tandem nursing i've never used bm on anything other than feeding, but in the beginning w/ both girls, i did put it on my nipples when they cracked or got sore...other than that, i guess i didn't even think about all the great properties in it!! almost can't wait for the next boo boo! gonna try it out! thanks!

can you believe i don't get the magazine? i've been meaning to subscribe for the last year, but now im going to go do just that!!

later ladies...
#20 of 80 Old 11-01-2005, 09:14 PM

I BF exclusively for one year and 5 days (when our son cut me off cold turkey!). OUCH!
Anyways, he was pretty healthy, with one real serious bout of croup which ended him up in the hospital for a day and a half. Otherwise, no ear infections, etc... We didn't use breastmilk for anything other than feedings.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#21 of 80 Old 11-01-2005, 09:19 PM

I ebf until dd was 30 months old too. We didn't really use bm for anything else though. Willing to give it a try though.
#22 of 80 Old 11-01-2005, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillake
She had an epidural with both of her children and she feels that the entire article was a lie. She informed us that her sons had decreasing oxygen and decreasing heartrates and the epidurals is what lifted both up to stable levels. When I showed her the information the article about having negative effects she got very angry and claimed that the article was wrong.

I would leave it at that and realize thats like discussing Abortion w Pat Roberts. I seriously doubt thats what happened but leave it at that and like another poster said- a lot of people get very defensive because of what they feel and what happend to them. I on the other hand poured over the article twice. I already knew that we would not do it next time but still it made for an interesting read.

Another good read this month is Peggy's article. She said how she has heard from women that the magazine made them feel like inferior mothers because they did not live up to whatever Mothering said. Some mothers feel that way about MDC- that members snub them etc.
Well in reality a lot of times the reader did not know that info was out there. I for one had no idea what a great thing cloth diapering is. If I did not have MDC or the magazine I would never have known.

#23 of 80 Old 11-01-2005, 10:38 PM

Since I'm a first time mom, I have no experience with breast milk, but do hope to bf exclusively as long as possible.

My question about illness is do you think it is good to expose infants/toddlers to others on a regular basis. We were planning on working our schedule around each other so our child would never have to be in daycare, but are now considering that maybe one or two days a week might be good.

I read an article that said a study was done on daycare kids vs. stay at home and the daycare kids had significantly less rates of childhood lukemia. That made me think. Also, we are only having one child so would daycare one or two days a week be beneficial socially?
#24 of 80 Old 11-01-2005, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Asana Mama~
I read an article that said a study was done on daycare kids vs. stay at home and the daycare kids had significantly less rates of childhood lukemia. That made me think. Also, we are only having one child so would daycare one or two days a week be beneficial socially?
I had a psych professor in college that I loved & one of the things I remember her saying over and over is that "correlation does not equal causation." I have a very hard time believing that being in daycare would help prevent leukemia, as it is a disease that (from my understanding) is largely genetic.

As far as the social aspect goes - at an early age (i.e. birth to two) you and your husband are your child's main and most important social connection. Feeling securely attached to YOU is the best thing to help him/her socially later on. A playgroup once and awhile when your child starts being more mobile is another great social outlet (for both of you!)

Having said that - I don't think there's anything wrong with daycare, espeically on a part-time basis, if it is going to allow you & your husband to spend more time together (i.e. you won't always be working opposite shifts).

We decided before we had children that we wanted one of the two of us to stay at home with the children as long as they were not in full day school. While she (soon to be they!) is still nursing it makes the most sense for me to stay at home - plus I love it! We took a good look at our budget to see what we could omit, what we could reduce so that we could make do with one income - and suprisingly, we always seem to have more "extra $$ now that we are keeping such an organized budget!

Just my $0.02. Not trying to bash daycare - just offering an alternative
#25 of 80 Old 11-01-2005, 11:52 PM

Thanks Caraboose! I would love to stay at home, but since I make much more $$ looks like we would more likely have a SAHD scenario.

Here's a question....do you all consider pumping to be just as good as BF? Because I will have to go back to work eventually, I will be pumping. Does the milk retain it's nutritional value, or is it better to try to avoid pumping and go with the real thing?
#26 of 80 Old 11-02-2005, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Actually I am home ft and have been for almost 4 years. I also pumped so I had extra on hand for when I would be away from her for a feeding. I would also pump for that feeding away.

These are very good questions to be raising now. But some answers are best left to what works well with each family. I myself have never heard of daycare kids not getting luakema(sp) as much. But I have heard of them getting so many other things quicker and longer. We do not do daycare in this family- never had, never will. I am not trying to bash it or put anyone down. I am just saying we don't do it here. We also do not eat brussel sprouts since neither of us like them- get my drift? I'm sure some people find them tasty!

I recommend start NOW looking at daycare and sitter options. Working around schedules sounds so great on paper and in talking but thats a lot of time away from DH. A few days away from both of you will not hurt your baby as long as its a good fit for everyone. I also recommend waiting 12-15 weeks before starting back since you will have a good nursing relationship by then and an idea what you baby wants and needs. Also you can build up a generous milk supply in that time as well.
Some other things I recommend: checking out your local LLL chapter, Read their book: the nursing bible "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" Version 7. Available almost anywhere. LLL also has a Working Mom nursing mom book that is excellent (according to my woh mama friends). Also Dr Sears has some great publishings. Also invest the most money you can afford in a breast pump and an LC to show you how to use it. Or a trusted friend like my best friend did with my pump n style.
I'm glad your talking about this now and finding out what you want to do. It will help you plan your leave and have time w baby.

#27 of 80 Old 11-02-2005, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Asana Mama~
Thanks Caraboose! I would love to stay at home, but since I make much more $$ looks like we would more likely have a SAHD scenario.

Here's a question....do you all consider pumping to be just as good as BF? Because I will have to go back to work eventually, I will be pumping. Does the milk retain it's nutritional value, or is it better to try to avoid pumping and go with the real thing?

I think pumping can be just as good nutritionally, but pumping was much harder than I expected it to be. I had gotten the avent pump & accessories for if my DH wanted to feed Caroline, if we would have a babysitter, etc. But pumping was more difficult than I expected AND Caroline did not like the bottle at all! The only time she really used one was when she was about 6 mths old & we were at a wedding for most of the day.

The one thing that you might miss out on with expressed breast milk (or any type of bottle feeding) is the benefits both you and the baby gain from the skin to skin contact. I have read recommendations to bottle feeders (mom or dad) that you have your shirt up of off so you can have belly to belly skin contact with the baby.

AsanaMama, I'm not sure if I'm confusing you with a different poster, but are you a massage therapist? Perhaps there would be somewhere in your area you could teach baby massage & have your child at the class as well? Or perhaps you could hire someone (mother's helper, part time nanny) to watch your baby at your workplace so that you could nurse or visit w/ the baby between sessions? Don't know how practical that is - but it seems like it could work for you
#28 of 80 Old 11-02-2005, 01:43 AM

I am a massage therapist, but I work at the Ritz Carlton so it's a pretty structured setting.

I know there are opportunities for me to venture out on my own, it's just that I won't make nearly the $$ I do at the Ritz on my own. By my working there it almost allows Dave to not have to work at all.

He has been so great about trying to find a way for me to stay home, though. He even started writing a business plan for himself to try to get things to work.

I'm sure they will all work out they way they should. I just feel so sick all of the time right now the thought of making any major life decisions only makes the ms worse
#29 of 80 Old 11-02-2005, 02:49 AM

I know i'm going to have to go back to work afterward, unless we win the lotto and pay off my 130K student loans I currently only work part time, and plan on going back one half day at a time once a good nursing relationship is established. Right now, I only work 4-5 hour days (usually leave home at 1 and home by 6 on thelongest day) so I think it should be workable.

So, I went to the dermatologist, and I do have viral eczema kind of like shingles, but fortunatley not as bad. So she put me on an antiviral (after calling her best friend who's an OB) and told me to take a few days off. So... I'mcouch bound for the week ( Idon't work fridays,so taking off two days is really the rest of the week!) Hopefully it will work quickly and I'll be out of pain soon! I haven't even had to take Tylenol, so it's not even half as bad as last time. Last time I was on darvocet for the pain ... and the only bad side effect from the antiviral is that it makes me nauseated... but I've been doing that for days!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#30 of 80 Old 11-02-2005, 02:49 PM

I don't think the choice is pump or straight from the boob--rather it is pump or formula. Expressed BM is definitely better than formula. But I think you will find that your child might change his/her habits slightly to be able to get more milk straight from you. Pumping is not always easy but it was really worth it for me because I was able to provide for my ds what no one else could--and when we got back together in the evening and he nursed, it was a wonderful reunion.

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page